Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to sell your stuff lads....

Options
  • 07-05-2010 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2962718/What-gadgets-from-the-Eighties-are-going-to-become-antiques.html
    OFF to a boot sale at the weekend? Snap up Eighties gems - the once mod-cons
    that have become odd-cons up in your attic could be worth a bundle.

Games consoles, Sony Walkmans and Soda Streams were must-haves 20 years ago.
    But technology has raced ahead so much they'll soon be ANTIQUES.

Suntiques collectibles expert Paul Hayes, star of TV's Cash In The Attic,
    says: "These are the antiques of tomorrow, but are selling well at auctions
    now too.

"If you're heading to a boot sale, keep an eye out for anything from the
    1980s, as long as it's in good condition."

Here, Paul, explains what to watch out for - and how much they could fetch
    at auction in ten years.

ATARI GAMES CONSOLE

In 1976, Atari launched one of the first home game consoles - a
    cartridge-based machine.

Four years later they brought out their cartridge version of Space Invaders on
    the Atari 2600 - a console that sold in the millions.

atariembed_380x280_1039093a.jpgPlay time ... original Atari could earn you a bundle

NOW: Original Atari games consoles are around £50. Games cartridges are
    in demand and an original Space Invaders or Pac-Man could fetch £20-£40.

IN 10 YEARS: Atari Games console, £200. Games, £200 each.

NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

In 1985, the Japanese giant became market leaders with the Nintendo
    Entertainment System or NES. This sold in its millions, as did the Gameboy,
    which took consoles to another level in 1989 by making it a hand-held.

The most highly collectable Nintendo is the Colour TV Game 6, launched in

NOW: Nintendo consoles and Gameboys can fetch between £30 to £50 at
    auction.

IN 10 YEARS: NES, £150-£200 and Gameboys, £100-£150.

SEGA

The Service Games Of Japan or SEGA, first produced coin- operated video games
    for American servicemen stationed at military bases.

In the Sixties, they launched a submarine-simulator game called Periscope
    which was a huge hit.

In 1986 they launched the Sega Master System whose mascot became Sonic the
    Hedgehog. The Sega Mega Drive is memorable for many. In ten years, kids who
    played on it first time round will be looking to buy one, fuelling the
    market.

NOW: Original Sega Mega Drives, in good condition, would fetch around
    £30-£50 at auction.

IN 10 YEARS: £200.

HOME COMPUTERS

The ZX80, launched by Sir Clive Sinclair in 1980, was the world's first home
    computer to retail at less than £100.

It was self-assembly but later sold fully built. It had just 1kb of RAM
    (Random Access Memory) - a millionth of that of today's home computer.

An updated version, the ZX81 came out the following year. This was replaced by
    the ZX Spectrum, with 16kb of RAM.

sinclairembed_380x_1039098a.jpgNice little earner ... Sinclair computer

NOW: Early self-assembly ZX80s, more than £100. A ZX81 or Spectrum,
    slightly less. A Sinclair C5 - Sir Clive's futuristic electric vehicle -
    over £300.

IN 10 YEARS: The ZX80s and Spectrum, £300-500. Anything by Sinclair
    will rise in value, and the C5 could reach £2,000.

SONY WALKMAN

The Sony Walkman was launched in Japan in 1979 and at first had two headphone
    sockets, so two people could listen.

Legend has it that it was developed by a Sony engineer who wanted to listen to
    music during transatlantic flights.

NOW: Walkmans fetch £10-£20 at auction, though early examples marketed as
    Soundabout or Freestyle are more in demand.

IN 10 YEARS: The Sony Walkman could fetch £100-150.

SODA STREAM

This great invention by British gin-makers W & A Gilbey & Sons meant
    people could make fizzy drinks at home.

watchembed_180x250_1039091a.jpgTime to invest ... in an original Casio

Flavoured syrups were mixed with water then placed in the Soda Stream. Carbon
    dioxide was forced into the mixture - which sounded like someone passing
    wind, and was considered hilarious.

NOW: Original boxed examples can fetch around £30.

IN 10 YEARS: £150-£200.

DIGITAL WATCHES

One of the fastest growing collectibles. The first electronic digital watch -
    by the Hamilton Watch Company of America - used light-emitting diode (LED)
    technology. But this used a lot of power so the screen was only lit when a
    button was pressed.

The first commercial example, the Pulsar, was made from 18ct gold and was very
    expensive. Eventually the LED dial was replaced with liquid-crystal display
    (LCD).

NOW: An original 18ct Pulsar LED watch would fetch £3,000-£5,000 at
    auction and a Casio digital watch about £20.

IN 10 YEARS: The Casio should fetch £100-150 and an original 18ct
    Pulsar £10,000-£15,000.

MOBILE PHONES

phoneembed_180x250_1039092a.jpgRing the changes ... DynaTEC 8000x could be worth £800

The first commercially successful mobile phone was made by Motorola and went
    on sale in 1983.

The DynaTAC 8000x was initially only available in America and cost the
    equivalent of £4,000 in today's money. Since then, the race to produce
    smaller, more complex mobiles has led to a glut in the market.

NOW: A good example of a DynaTEC 8000x would fetch around £50 at
    auction.

IN 10 YEARS: £500-£800

CONCORDE MEMORABILIA

The fastest passenger jet of all time could top 1,300mph.

When the plane was decommissioned after 27 years' service, many parts were
    sold off.

At an auction in Paris in 2003, a nose cone made over £434,000 and a pilot's
    seat £36,400.

NOW: Two seats bought for £800 together in 2003 are now worth £3,000
    each and recently two notepads went for £50 each.

IN 10 YEARS: The seats could be worth £5,000-£10,000 and the notepads
    around £200 each.

Interview by JENNA SLOAN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

My retirement fund :p

07052010021.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Posted that in general thread while back,now your zx80 would be worth a good bit due to alot of them fried from over heating,do you not have heatsink 128?.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If ever there was an article that wives and girlfriends needed to see, this is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I say we all hold out 20 years, then each of us sell everything bar one item, such that together we still have a kick ass collection. Then we all buy mansions next to each other and buy an extra one to house 'the collection'.

*This is assuming a rather generous spike in value the 2nd 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

so in others words,, time to buy more stuff lads :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Gameboys going for £100+ I'd doubt it considering everyone and their cat had one. But you never know.

Ah feck, I bet we'll never be able to get anything now what with grannies and their super-natural ability to be at car boot sales first thing.

Gameboys going for £100+ I'd doubt it considering everyone and their cat had one. But you never know.

thats it,alot of hype,i remember correctly that article came out same time rg mag retroinspection on zx80 ;)

and slowly time is taking its toll on all your computers and consoles,floppy disks are getting scarce,caps are blowing,batterys are leaking,tapes are getting scarce,power supplys dying slowly,cd lasers burning out,cds wearing out,plastic fading,certain types of ram is getting more scarce...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I fear that this article will drive the price up of things :(

Sega Megadrive: €549 with 2 games because the Sun told me it was worth that ^.^

¬.¬

Fred83 wrote: »
    Posted that in general thread while back,now your zx80 would be worth a good bit due to alot of them fried from over heating,do you not have heatsink 128?.

No, I never actually really collected these.. A few of the these were my original machines, and a couple were ones passed on to me about 20 years ago.. I wrote my first game in 1982 on the ZX81, so kept them for sentimental reasons :)

I was offered a Sinclair MK14 about 20 years ago for 20 quid or so, and couldn't be bothered.. wish I had now :)

80 model was sold in a kit aswell,someone placed it on ebay and ended up making £1000 for themselfs!,i have heatsink 128+speccy 2a myself :D

• Advertisement

80 model was sold in a kit aswell,someone placed it on ebay and ended up making £1000 for themselfs!,i have heatsink 128+speccy 2a myself :D

Yeah I imagine a mint boxed kit 80 would be worth a pretty penny.
    IIRC the ZX80 box was just a white polystyrene postage box.. no printed sleeve or anything fancy on it though

The ZX81 did come in a fancier box.. a black box iirc like the ram pack box in my picture above.. I bought mine in a computer shop in the Ilac Centre.. (long time ago).

well fear not,if your one works it is worth a good bit too,like i said alot died from heat problems

well fear not,if your one works it is worth a good bit too,like i said alot died from heat problems

hehe at this stage i dont think I'd sell it.. too much sentimental value and at the end of the day.. whats a few hundred quid..

There is so much stuff I wish I hadn't sold recently (we were moving back from the UK).. my mint condition Spy Hunter upright (plus my other machines), my Judge Dredd pinball, and 100 boxed mint still in plastic wrapper original Atari 2600 carts, about 50 arcade boards. :(

I think i'll hold onto this one.. it what got me into games and computers :)

thats the thing,time slowly takes them away*unless you want to be buried with them

unless you want to be buried with them

Don't want to be dug up by a future TV archeologist who proclaims to the world they have found the fabled nerdicus saddus... a human believed to have lived in his mothers basement, avoiding contact with women preferring to argue on the internet about games noone cares about. Finally laid to rest with the machine who were the only items he ever formed a relationship with.

I think i'll pass... ;)

lol,i had many comps giving up the ghost so im used to it :lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have passed onthat slightly discoloured Gameboy for £3 in Gamestation in Edinburgh a few weeks ago. Could've made enough on it to buy a house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I wonder if someone will finally want my Virtual Boy in 10 years?

Master of the Universe

Your poor little virtua boy has fallen victim to the curse of the green isle. I would imagine less than 1000 people in Ireland are actually familiar with the console, and only a small fraction of that want one. Then break that fraction down into people who have the money for one at the moment and you're left with nobody :(

Combine that with the island/international shipping cost factor and it looks like you might be stuck with it for a while!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if someone will finally want my Virtual Boy in 10 years?

I'd buy it today if I didn't already have one, or if I wasn't sure that my gf and family would murder me if I bought a second one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Your poor little virtua boy has fallen victim to the curse of the green isle. I would imagine less than 1000 people in Ireland are actually familiar with the console, and only a small fraction of that want one.

This is the thing I don't get with retro gaming. Playing consoles and games you weren't even aware of when they were released... :confused:

This is the thing I don't get with retro gaming. Playing consoles and games you weren't even aware of when they were released... :confused:

i remb most of them first time around,its just hype and romantic notion,like radiant silvergun ;)

Master of the Universe

Why do you have to have played something the first time around to want to play it/own it?

This hobby isn't just about nostalgia. Actually it's a bit anti nostalgia as it takes off the rose tinted glasses and stamps on them.

It's about good games being good games. Whether they were released 5 years ago or 30 years ago...on whatever platform.

Why do you have to have played something the first time around to want to play it/own it?

This hobby isn't just about nostalgia. Actually it's a bit anti nostalgia as it takes off the rose tinted glasses and stamps on them.

It's about good games being good games. Whether they were released 5 years ago or 30 years ago...on whatever platform.

Indeed, though I harbour a special kind of nostalgia for the things I read and got excited about in C&VG and other magazines, but never got a chance to play/own until now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sadly I've lived too long for there to be many consoles that I have not been around to want!
    I want an Atari Pong console, an Intellivision and an Odyssey machine, not to mention a Vic20 with a fully loaded flash cart!

Now thats not too much, is it?

lol it would be interesting to know people's ages.. i read the previous post, and thought eh? i did have them first time around ... (40 later this year)..

Master of the Universe

I'll be 26 soon myself. Old enough to remember most things worth remembering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I'm 21 in a couple months, grew up with the MD so that why I collect that, But being a retro gamer is not about playing what you did when you were young but more about being able to look past all the jazzed up stuff about games, sure a lot of modern games have amazing graphics but they mightnt be great games. To me if a good game is on an Atari 2600 or a PS3 or anything in between they are worth playing. Well to me anyway, other people might look at it different

nearly 27...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

31, Atari was the first computer in our house so that's why it's my main collection console. It's really amazing how many games on it were available when we were kids by swapping with pals.
    Can't imagine what age CiDeRmAn must be to justify all the stuff he has hidden away...:D

Advertisement