Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooted my Desire *ATTN Cormie*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ok I could probably help you out in a step by step over MSN if you'd like?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did you need to create a 'goldcard'?

Bought my phone from meteor not branded or locked...

Also, can anyone tell me if you will be able to update to 2.2 when it comes out?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Did you need to create a 'goldcard'?

Bought my phone from meteor not branded or locked...

Also, can anyone tell me if you will be able to update to 2.2 when it comes out?
    Nope, you only a goldcard for branded phones. HTC will be releasing a 2.2 version but if you root you can get the update much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So with the extensive help of partyatmygaff over msn, I was able to root my desire and I finally got the contacts app working on it! :) I saved the chat transcript as it may be helpful for anyone else wanting to install from Windows XP. This is an ultra dumbed down version. I made sure to ask as many questions as possible, even if I was 99% sure of the answer myself :D

Some of the files were sent to me over msn like the market enabler etc, but these should be easily found online anyway. Also, the program I use for the commant prompt is called "command prompt here" I think, but you can just type in the address of the folder in DOS if you know how anyway!

You can see the transcript here: http://www.vantasks.ie/xpdesireroot.html

There is a good bit of filler, but it really covers absolutely everything you need to know so once you get to the bottom of the page, your desire should be rooted and ready to go :)

So I got the contacts sync thing working anyway, I can now sync with my chosen group from Gmail, but I can't believe it, if I have this group selected and I save a new contact, it wont save to that group, but just the "all contacts" group even though that's not selected :(:eek:

Always something! The guy in post 10 here: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f9/add-or-edit-contact-groups-12668/ seems to have got it going, but as you can see in my reply, post 11, it's not saving to the desired group for me!

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Lads, i take it a prepay Desire from o2 (or any network) would require the goldcard step, would it?

Even if they aren't branded(meteor ones?).

• Advertisement

Having a bit of trouble with the wifi tether for some reason? I seem to recall it worked perfectly the first night I tried but haven't got it working since, it shows up in my wifi network list when I turn it on, but when I click to connect it won't really do it :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Paul O'Brien has just tweeted - "Desire 'riskfreeroot' coming today..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Paul O'Brien has just tweeted - "Desire 'riskfreeroot' coming today..." :D

LOL...
    Desire 'riskfreeroot' coming today... 13 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just rooted my desire there, easy enough to do.
    I didn't flash any of the new mutant froyo roms on it yet, happy enough with stock rooted rom.
    I ran market enabler and have wifi tether (SWEET :) ) working too.
    Might set up app2sd now. I've noticed my version of google earth is 20mb+!! but when looking online people were saying theirs is only 5mb?? Why is there such a difference.

For anyone going to root, the only thing that was annoying was having to set up my screens again....pain in the ring, other than that its a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I haven't done it because I'm confused over whether or not I need a gold card when I have a Sim free desire. Wish someone would do a youtube video

• Advertisement

I haven't done it because I'm confused over whether or not I need a gold card when I have a Sim free desire. Wish someone would do a youtube video
    You don't. The purpose of a goldcard is to allow you to flash a ROM supplied from a different vendor. I.e. If you buy an O2 branded phone your vendor is O2, if you buy a sim free phone or an unbranded phone your vendor is HTC.

Hey PAMG, is there a proper froyo root rom out yet for the version I've done do you know? I hear the video recording doesn't work on it or something like that? When would one compatible with my setup be ready have you any idea? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

I rooted mine last night, easy enough, thought i made a balls of it at one point, but it was meant to happen it was part of a step.

Didn't realise that it completely wipes your phone, but i have appbrain and i had all my apps on that so no searching for hours for all my apps again.

Might try a custom rom later. Any reccomendations on the best rom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I rooted my HTC desire today.

My software version is 1.15.405.4

Now that I'm rooted, is there anything i should look for besides marketenabler?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

allen175 wrote: »
    Might try a custom rom later. Any reccomendations on the best rom?

I recommend Modaco custom rom. Seems to be the best for me anyway. Very fast.
    Note - You'll need to wipe again before installing a custom rom, and you lose htc sense if you go to Froyo, so if you like the HTC widgets...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I rooted my HTC desire today.

My software version is 1.15.405.4

Now that I'm rooted, is there anything i should look for besides marketenabler?

I did the same yesterday, so far all I've done is install market enabler and remove the stupid startup mp3.

Also, I got offered an OTA update when I booted up wih the new ROM, am I right in thinking it would have just unooted me if I had accepted?

hardCopy wrote: »
    I did the same yesterday, so far all I've done is install market enabler and remove the stupid startup mp3.

Also, I got offered an OTA update when I booted up wih the new ROM, am I right in thinking it would have just unooted me if I had accepted?
    Yep and it would have more likely than not have upgraded your bootloader as well meaning you'd need to use a different method to reroot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

hardCopy wrote: »

Yep and it would have more likely than not have upgraded your bootloader as well meaning you'd need to use a different method to reroot.

After I did it I got the OTA update, tried to do it but it stops halfway through. Did it twice but never let me update?

lafors wrote: »
    After I did it I got the OTA update, tried to do it but it stops halfway through. Did it twice but never let me update?

Same here.

Im looking to go back to stock Rom as I had credit fraud happen to me today. I think I got burned by YouTube hack yesterday as I set up my Google checkout after visiting YouTube.

To be on the safe side, I need to rule out a modified OS on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

What custom roms have you guys gone with?

I've got Modaco (sp?) myself, based on the 2.1 OS.

I tried Froyo (Modaco again) last night but a number of features were disabled (like phone, browser and a few other things, I think I may have messed up the installation) so I've reverted back to 2.1 now

• Advertisement

I'm using modaco based on 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I plan on rooting my phone next weekend when I have some time, have a few quick questions first:

1) I read here somewhere that once the phone is rooted with a custom ROM, that I'd need to go back to the stock ROM to be able to receive the official updates OTA, such as froyo. My question is where exactly is the stock ROM. I downloaded a file r4-desire-root.zip follwoing the IM conversation between partyatmygaff & cormie. Is the stock ROM included in this?

2) I want to setup Apps2SD.
    My plan is to install either the modaco 2.1 ROM or the modaco froyo ROM, both with support for A2SD.
    I understand from other threads in here that I will have to partition my SD card to get this working. At the moment I just have 1 SD card, the 4GB that came with the phone. Any simple guides to setting up Apps2SD, which show how to partition the SD card and backup & restore the contents of the card?

3) What else do I need to backup? I have my apps backed up using Astro, but from the IM conversation I understand reinstalling them this way will mean the apps won't get the automatic updates from the market, so I also have my app list stored on App Brain and I may just reinstall them all using that. I presume using app brain will be a valid install from the market. I have SD card backed up and my contacts are all on my gmail account.
    Anything I should backup before rooting?

Thanks,
    FFB.

Advertisement