Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooted my Desire *ATTN Cormie*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Give us an update on how it affects the battery life after a whhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

GDM wrote: »
    Give us an update on how it affects the battery life after a whhile.
    Will do!

The phone seems much snappier now though, no more stuttering menu scrolling which is good. I've got marketenabler working, i've got Car Home working and i'm going to try out voice dialler as well.

Almost as if i've gotten a new phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wow PAMG, this could be good news, thanks a lot for the notice!

So do you actually have the option to "Sync Groups" in the contacts app?

cormie wrote: »
    Wow PAMG, this could be good news, thanks a lot for the notice!

So do you actually have the option to "Sync Groups" in the contacts app?
    I haven't actually gotten around to installing the custom rom!

I'm still running on the stock rooted rom but the custom rom includes both the HTC and stock contacts app so you should be able to.

I can help you out with rooting if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Does it have any improved camera abilities? I want 720P on my Nexus One...

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    Does it have any improved camera abilities? I want 720P on my Nexus One...
    Nope, I don't think that will be enabled until we get the kernel source for the HTC EVO which is being released sometime late May / Early June. Then you have to wait for either HTC/Google to release a 2.2 FroYo update for your phone which may or may not allow 720P recording. If not then i'm sure the guys on XDA or MoDaCo will find a way to enable it using what came of the EVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Cyanogen was saying something about HD video in his tweets about the latest Dream build... that got me confused.

I haven't actually gotten around to installing the custom rom!

I'm still running on the stock rooted rom but the custom rom includes both the HTC and stock contacts app so you should be able to.

I can help you out with rooting if you want?

Would definitely appreciate any help at all with getting the sync group sorted, if that means rooting/custom romming, so be it and would really appreciate any help with that :)

Could I customise it so that everything stays the way it currently is, so I still have the screens I can flick between for email/weather/notes (that's what I have customised on my sense anyway) and that I can just do all the same things like press and hold an icon to drag it to the "remove" bin and pretty much have everything as it is at the moment, but it infact being a custom rom with contacts app instead of "people"? Just afraid of losing anything and don't want to have to jeopardise anything if I can avoid it?

Are you local by the way? :D

Would definitely appreciate any help at all with getting the sync group sorted, if that means rooting/custom romming, so be it and would really appreciate any help with that :)

Could I customise it so that everything stays the way it currently is, so I still have the screens I can flick between for email/weather/notes (that's what I have customised on my sense anyway) and that I can just do all the same things like press and hold an icon to drag it to the "remove" bin and pretty much have everything as it is at the moment, but it infact being a custom rom with contacts app instead of "people"? Just afraid of losing anything and don't want to have to jeopardise anything if I can avoid it?

Are you local by the way? :D
    It's very close to the stock rom in terms of functionality. Most of it is unchanged so you can still add widgets e.t.c. quite easily.

Bear in mind rooting e.t.c means all your settings, apps and SMS get wiped but they can be backed up fairly easy.

desiress1.pngdesiress3.pngdesiress4.pngdesiress2.png
    • Based on the 1.21.xxx.x ROM series
    • Pre-rooted with su and Superuser Permissions 2.0.3 by ChainsDD
    • Built with the MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM
    • Patched 'Rosie' (Sense) to allow click-drag homescreen rearrange when pinch-zoomed out
    • busybox with Droid Explorer support
    • 'Genie' News and Weather widget
    • Jbed Java
    • MCR version displayed in 'About' screen
    • 'Navigation Panel' (HTC version of 'Car Home')
    • OpenVPN binary
    • terminfo and settings in boot.img to allow nano etc. use
    • Updated Google Maps
    • Voice Search
    • Removed bootsound (can be restored via the online kitchen)
    • Optional A2SD via the online kitchen
    • Optional Android 2.1 stock Contacts application
    • Optional Amazon MP3
    • Optional Development Tools
    • Optional Hebrew fonts
    • Optional HTC CIME Chinese Input
    • Optional patched HTC IME version 25 by jonasl
    • Optional Titanium Backup
    • Optional Wavesecure via the online kitchen (installed to system partition for maximum security)
    • Optional WiFi Status indicator
    • De-odexed for you themers out there!

That is the feature list. I am not yet sure if the things marked optional need the £9.99 subscription to access the ROM kitchen or if they come in the free pre baked ROM pack but it is available nonetheless.

As you can see from the photos Sense UI acts the same as it does on the stock rom except that you get extra widgets as well the ability to drag and drop home screens when you pinch in to leap view.

That looks pretty good alright. When you say £9.99 subscription, is this a once off or a yearly sub? Hopefully the contact option and everything else as is already on the unrooted desire is free as that's all I need really.

I'd prefer not to lose my apps but I've already done it once in the hope a hard reset would give me the sync group option, if I know doing this will definitely give it to me I'm prepared to do that, if I can back them up, all the better :)

I'd really prefer not to have to do this just to get the option as I wouldn't be one bit confident messing with things like this.

Are there any reports at all of the contact app adding that function do you know? I'm not too sure what the story is with roms and roots and apps and customisations and optional things and all. Wish HTC would just update the firmware to throw it on :o

• Advertisement

That looks pretty good alright. When you say £9.99 subscription, is this a once off or a yearly sub? Hopefully the contact option and everything else as is already on the unrooted desire is free as that's all I need really.

I'd prefer not to lose my apps but I've already done it once in the hope a hard reset would give me the sync group option, if I know doing this will definitely give it to me I'm prepared to do that, if I can back them up, all the better :)

I'd really prefer not to have to do this just to get the option as I wouldn't be one bit confident messing with things like this.

Are there any reports at all of the contact app adding that function do you know? I'm not too sure what the story is with roms and roots and apps and customisations and optional things and all. Wish HTC would just update the firmware to throw it on :o

It's a bit technical but with step by step instructions it really isn't that difficult of a task at all. I had my phone rooted in 10 mins and installing a custom rom shouldn't take more than five minutes.

That £9.99 subscription is a yearly thing but you only need it for the MoDaCo ROM kitchen which lets you "bake" a ROM with whatsoever you "Desire" on it ;)

I'm actually downloading the prebaked custom rom now and will see what it does and does not include. If it includes the stock app then fair enough you don't need a subscription but if it doesn't then you're going to need to buy the subscription to access the rom.

Cool stuff, please keep me posted anyway! If it's a yearly sub, but you can just pay once and go in to download it and never pay again that's grand. If to use the contacts app means I'll have to pay £9.99 a year that's a bit of a downer :(

I had a quick glance at the instructions and as soon as I got to the linux CD and all that stuff I got scared and thought it's not for me. Perhaps if the boot rom is a viable solution we could rendezvous if you're local and a dab hand at doing the rom/rooting? :)

Custom rom was corrupted after the 6 hours it took to download >_>

Anyway, I've managed to get my hands on a custom rom for the Nexus One (No I amn't going to install on it on my Desire, I amn't that dumb :p). I've found the contacts.apk used in stock android and i've tried to install it now on my Desire but it's coming up as install unsuccessful.

Oh no :( Do you think that means it's not possible then?

Oh no :( Do you think that means it's not possible then?
    No i'm definitley sure it's possible as it's included and works fine in the MoDaCo custom rom apparently. I think the OS won't allow two different contacts managers to run on the phone at the same time.

Ok, hope again :) So what would be needed to find out do you reckon? Guinea pig desire? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Custom rom was corrupted after the 6 hours it took to download >_>

Anyway, I've managed to get my hands on a custom rom for the Nexus One (No I amn't going to install on it on my Desire, I amn't that dumb :p). I've found the contacts.apk used in stock android and i've tried to install it now on my Desire but it's coming up as install unsuccessful.
    I assume youd have to use adb to push that to the system partition

Ok, hope again :) So what would be needed to find out do you reckon? Guinea pig desire? :D
    Well whatever happens you're gonna have to either find some way to remove the contacts app from your ROM right now (Which is nigh on impossible without at least root) or install a custom rom with the contacts app replaced.

Personally, I think using the MoDaCo rom is probably the easiest method to get the stock contacts app.

Ok cool, I'm a member at the Modaco forums too, is the thread you linked to above the best place to ask if anyone has installed the custom rom with the contacts app and whether the "sync group" option is there I wonder or would there be somewhere better to find out or someone better to bug? :P

Ok cool, I'm a member at the Modaco forums too, is the thread you linked to above the best place to ask if anyone has installed the custom rom with the contacts app and whether the "sync group" option is there I wonder or would there be somewhere better to find out or someone better to bug? :P
    Best place is that thread yes.

• Advertisement

Thanks, made a post anyway so will see what comes of it :)

So it seems, from one reply, that the contacts app can be used on the rom. I haven't confirmed this yet with the guy who posted it, that he was talking about the baked rom on a desire, but it did seem like he was.

However, reading that thread has raised some worry for me which I was hoping wouldn't be the case. There are numerous reports of such and such not working properly and things acting up and reacting badly with other programs. Although I desperately need the contacts app, if rooting is going to present many other nagging bugs and issues that I'll keep having to upgrade to the latest one and keep an eye on threads and all that kind of thing for updates and then discovering as I try to do something really basic that I discover a bug myself that hasn't yet been reported and then having to wait for that fix before I can complete my simple task, then I'd be very wary of proceeding.

I just need something that works and wont pose any future problems. Do you think this is possible and that the errors reported in that thread are just once offs and installation issues caused by mistakes etc, or are they inevitable bugs that will have to be ironed out over time when the developers create something like this I wonder?

So it seems, from one reply, that the contacts app can be used on the rom. I haven't confirmed this yet with the guy who posted it, that he was talking about the baked rom on a desire, but it did seem like he was.

However, reading that thread has raised some worry for me which I was hoping wouldn't be the case. There are numerous reports of such and such not working properly and things acting up and reacting badly with other programs. Although I desperately need the contacts app, if rooting is going to present many other nagging bugs and issues that I'll keep having to upgrade to the latest one and keep an eye on threads and all that kind of thing for updates and then discovering as I try to do something really basic that I discover a bug myself that hasn't yet been reported and then having to wait for that fix before I can complete my simple task, then I'd be very wary of proceeding.

I just need something that works and wont pose any future problems. Do you think this is possible and that the errors reported in that thread are just once offs and installation issues caused by mistakes etc, or are they inevitable bugs that will have to be ironed out over time when the developers create something like this I wonder?
    They're all issues with people trying to install an app called APPS2SD which allows you to install apps to an sd card. It's currently pretty hit and miss with some people reporting that it causes their device to be put in to some strange kind of testing mode that disables SD card access and regular USB access. Safe to say, if you aren't interested in APPS2SD you won't be having any issues. The other problem people are reporting is that the rom behaves very oddly if you remove Sense UI which you don't want to remove so it's not applicable.

Basically, if all you want from the rom is the contacts app then you won't be having any issues ;)

The custom rom is perfectly stable so long as you aren't doing anything exotic like removing Sense UI or trying to get APPS2SD to work.

That's good news :)

And scanning the thread again, I just saw this: "@cormie: confirmed, works" (post 200), which is just underneath my post asking if the sync group actually works :) I didn't see that part of his post until now as I didn't think he was replying to me, but he added it in at the end, yay :D

There was someone reporting issues with synching facebook too "I also have problems with the stock contacts app. Linking accounts is not possible (i.e. link facebook/twitter/last.fm to a person). No contacts are displayed in the menu.
    Also, it is not possible to add facebook account syncing (not the htc version)."

And then I saw some people with Gtalk errors and some other ones too.

Is this all related to the app/Sd card thingy and removing Sense UI I wonder?

Have you been following the thread yourself much? It's pretty hard to keep up with, lot of jargon I don't understand :o

That's good news :)

And scanning the thread again, I just saw this: "@cormie: confirmed, works" (post 200), which is just underneath my post asking if the sync group actually works :) I didn't see that part of his post until now as I didn't think he was replying to me, but he added it in at the end, yay :D

There was someone reporting issues with synching facebook too "I also have problems with the stock contacts app. Linking accounts is not possible (i.e. link facebook/twitter/last.fm to a person). No contacts are displayed in the menu.
    Also, it is not possible to add facebook account syncing (not the htc version)."

And then I saw some people with Gtalk errors and some other ones too.

Is this all related to the app/Sd card thingy and removing Sense UI I wonder?

Have you been following the thread yourself much? It's pretty hard to keep up with, lot of jargon I don't understand :o

All those odd errors are coming up for people who cook their own roms using the rom kitchen. It's more than likely as a result of removing too many things out of the rom.

For your purposes of just getting the stock contacts app you should be fine ;)

Even at that, you can go back to stock and unroot very easily if for some reason you don't like the custom rom so it's worth a shot I think.

That's good to know :) Hmm, might be worth the punt so.

So it's possible to get my phone exactly the way it is at the moment, but just with the contacts app instead (or aswell as) the people app and it's very unlikely I'll run into any future errors?

Sold my iPod today too so once this is done that'll be my phones sorted for the time being :)

That's good to know :) Hmm, might be worth the punt so.

So it's possible to get my phone exactly the way it is at the moment, but just with the contacts app instead (or aswell as) the people app and it's very unlikely I'll run into any future errors?

Sold my iPod today too so once this is done that'll be my phones sorted for the time being :)
    Not "exactly" the way it was. You'll lose all your apps and settings and sent and received sms. It will be as if you've booted your phone for the first time. You can back these up fairly easily though.

But besides that it will be the same as it is now just only with a few additions like the navigation panel e.t.c. and a few little speed improvements underneath the hood so to speak. That and the stock contacts app of course ;)

Sounds good! So where do I go from here then? I'd really prefer not to do it myself as I'm not in any way experienced with this kinda thing but if that's the only option, I guess I could give it a whir, but I'll ask again, are you local? :D

Sounds good! So where do I go from here then? I'd really prefer not to do it myself as I'm not in any way experienced with this kinda thing but if that's the only option, I guess I could give it a whir, but I'll ask again, are you local? :D
    I'd love to do it myself but exams are only three weeks away for me and I wouldn't exactly say that i'm that well prepared :pac:

If you'd like I can help you out with rooting and installing the custom rom with a step by step? It's not that difficult really :p

• Advertisement

Would definitely appreciate any help at all getting this sorted. Whatever would be easiest for you. If you had a spare half hour or whatever it may take, I could pop out to you whenever suited. If you were to do a step by step, could I please request the super dumbed down version :D

Do you know yet whether I'd need the freebie rom bake cake recipe thingy for contacts, or would I need the sub? Also, are the servers sorted yet, is that what the problem was with your corrupted download?

Advertisement