Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm delighted for you, can I expect to be hurdling mounds of nachos in the park anytime soon?

Who's up for 10 miles on Saturday 21st November, 9am at the Knockmaroon Gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

nachoqueen wrote: »
    After five weeks off running and five weeks of depression I'm back running . Did 3 miles ;)

Great stuff...Wecome back! :)

mrslow wrote: »

Sounds good.....I plan on doing a couple of shorter races in the next few months (10k's) but a group run in the park at this time of year sounds great......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Seeing as most (all?) of you guys drive, is there any chance we could move the meeting point? Somewhere around Garda HQ or even the Papal Cross would be so much easier for me... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Count me in for the run , I will probably just run half it though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

21st is a Sunday. On Saturday the 20th there's a 10k in the park. Not sure if that will make a difference to yee if you're not running it though. I'd join you for this but I'm probably doing the stupidly hilly 10k, I have a crap pb to smash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

xebec wrote: »
    Seeing as most (all?) of you guys drive, is there any chance we could move the meeting point? Somewhere around Garda HQ or even the Papal Cross would be so much easier for me... ;)

+1. Lads we already have a group meeting on saturday monings (see thread on main forum). Meeting point being Papal cross car par. I know traditions and all, but it would be great to get as many together as possible.

For anyone interested we'll probably be meeting again on saturday coming for 10 or so miles at 9.30am. Pace between 9-10min/mile.

xebec wrote: »

Absolutely!

21st is a Sunday. On Saturday the 20th there's a 10k in the park. Not sure if that will make a difference to yee if you're not running it though. I'd join you for this but I'm probably doing the stupidly hilly 10k, I have a crap pb to smash.

How bad is crap? 34 mins?
    nachoqueen wrote: »
    Count me in for the run , I will probably just run half it though

Excellent!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    +1. Lads we already have a group meeting on saturday monings (see thread on main forum). Meeting point being Papal cross car par. I know traditions and all, but it would be great to get as many together as possible.
    For anyone interested we'll probably be meeting again on saturday coming for 10 or so miles at 9.30am. Pace between 9-10min/mile.

Will definitely link up for a Saturday but every second one is accounted for, at least for the next while.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else still niggly on their runs?, I did 5 miles this morning and while I enjoyed it, I still felt tired and a bit achy throughout.

Is anyone else still niggly

Yep, my OH when I mention another Marathon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

So is this on Sat or Sun?

Are we changing meet up point? Oh God no:eek:, i only got to grips with Knockmaroon Gate after 18 weeks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Is anyone else still niggly on their runs?, I did 5 miles this morning and while I enjoyed it, I still felt tired and a bit achy throughout.

Totally, i feel all achy and painy constantly, very stiff still. But i think that was from lack of exercise the past 2 weeks and not stretching as much.

I'd say my biggest problem right now is i've got very lazy with the stretching side of things. Don't do near as much as i used to...all the training theory has gone to pot now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, still a bit tired and sore. I'll be taking it easy for the next week at least, but I have to start doing some speedwork then.
    Don't know if I'll make it up to the park for a while - it's only worth my while if I'm doing at least 12 - but if I do, I'll be doing my usual wander around until I bump into people rather than meeting at a particular spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hmmmmmm...Yeah I am finding it tough to get motivated to start back training... went to the gym last thursday but thats been it....

Looking to go for a 5 mile run tonight and gym tomorrow.... but not sure.... have had annoying injuries with regard to my back and hamstrings that are causing me hassle...I would love to go for a run with all you guys but I have lectures all over the shop.... Keep me updated on all these! :)

JEmily wrote: »
    So is this on Sat or Sun?

Are we changing meet up point? Oh God no:eek:, i only got to grips with Knockmaroon Gate after 18 weeks:rolleyes:

I'm easy that weekend but Sunday might be a better option with the race being on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I fear my running days may be numbered. 18 months ago I had an operation on my knee and was told to avoid high impact sports like football and running. But I really wanted to do a marathon, so I did, and though the knee gave me some pain during training it was nothing excessive.

At the end of the marathon I walked through, collected my medal, t-shirt and stuff and then stopped to talk to a fellow I knew. I then couldn't walk properly for the pain in my knee and had to limp round to the baggage area. Gradually as I continued to walk on it the knee got a bit better and it was no real bother after that.

I didn't run for a week after that, but started up again last week and ran 2 miles on Monday, 4 on Wednesday and 6 on Sunday and really enjoyed those runs. Today I ran 3 miles in my lunch break and finished it fine but as soon as I stopped to a walk, my knee was like it was after the marathon, really, really sore to walk on. I have limped around for the rest of the day, it has got no better, and I really fell the game may be up.

I want to run and had already set myself goals of sub 50 min 10k and sub 4hr marathon for next year and was hoping to have a shot at the 10k before Christmas. But I don't want to unable to walk or play a bit of football with the kids.

I will rest it now for a few days and see how it goes and then take a decision on whether to run again, or leave it until the New Year, or maybe I will commit to learning to swim properly. And maybe having a go at a triathlon. At this stage another marathon looks a 100/1 shot and another one where I will get the training in required to go under 4hrs is probably 200/1 or more. But at least I did it once. And thank God it didn't flare up before DCM.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To be honest, the best thing you could do now would be to get it properly checked out so that you know exactly what you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

+1

Sooner the better.

• Advertisement

+2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Work life should be finally getting back to normal, so happy to meet up any of the days whether Knockmaroon or Papal Cross.

Regarding niggles, I'm pretty niggle free at the moment, but my breathing if I try to go at any pace is shot to pieces, feels like it is back to where it was when I started and only a few weeks of the smokes. Couple of heavy jarring sessions the last few weekends so maybe that's to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Funny thing I still haven't been for a run since the DCM... must change that soon.

Is anybody here putting themselves down for the Aware 10k in Phoenix Park this December? I've done it the past 2years (although last year was only 9km...) and it's good craic.

After all our training a 10k should just be a walk in the park...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Plan to do the BHAA Beach Race, Jingle Bells 5 k and Aware 10k before Christmas and to join up with ye who will attend for the Saturday or Sunday long run. When are ye starting the weekend long runs?

Now if this cursed cracked rib would stop hurting i might be able to run. Folks, never run into a car, it hurts bad.

Funny thing I still haven't been for a run since the DCM... must change that soon.

Is anybody here putting themselves down for the Aware 10k in Phoenix Park this December? I've done it the past 2years (although last year was only 9km...) and it's good craic.

After all our training a 10k should just be a walk in the park...:D

Yeh, I think I'll do it...Haven't actually done a 10k (although I did run this race last year)....I've now recovered from the Marathon probs and ran three times last week and began this week by pitching myself in the middle of HH Intermediate 10k plan....

chinguetti wrote: »
    When are ye starting the weekend long runs?

9:30 at the papal cross this saturday. Anyone else interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Don't think so, if I get up that early I'm heading to Dollymount for the 4 mile BHAA race... Maybe the week after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Getting cars in/parking may be a problem with the 'marathon cool down' race? I think it's taking in the kyber so cars might not be allowed down that way?

My attendance will depend on whether I can get up or not. The novelty of sleeping until 10:30 last Saturday hasn't worn off, I hope to do this again.

My attendance will depend on whether I can get up or not. The novelty of sleeping until 10:30 last Saturday hasn't worn off, I hope to do this again.

Oh come on, you promised!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Might do the long run (max 10 miles) next week but tis the beach for me this week if the body can take it.

Advertisement