Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DART Underground delayed until 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bailing out Greece is going to take a lot longer than three years. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

pity that 1.3 bn couldnt have been kept in Ireland rather than bailing out greece - it would have gone 2/3rds of funding this for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Remains a priority but has been put back 3 years. :rolleyes:

At this stage, I don't expect to see it ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

paulm17781 wrote: »
    At this stage, I don't expect to see it ever.

This.

By the time this recession is over it'll be cheaper to buy out all the buildings and bulldoze a street level line though Dublin than bury it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am unsurprised, hopefully they complete part of stephens green station as part of Metro North. The missing link of quad track west of Inchicore also needs sorting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am unsurprised, hopefully they complete part of stephens green station as part of Metro North. The missing link of quad track west of Inchicore also needs sorting out.

Hard to believe he's going ahead with MN before the IC....
    Transport Minister Noel Dempsey previously described the 7.6km underground rail link as the most critical piece of public transport in the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I didn't realise that DART Underground actually comprises several things which are distinctly over ground.
    The DART Underground project involves (i) the electrification of the Maynooth line, the Kildare line (to Hazelhatch) and the Northern line to Drogheda and (ii) the acquisition of electric railcars for use on the newly electrified lines.

That's a balls. Maynooth line is long overdue for electrification.

It was comedy Gold on Drivetime this evening as Mary Wilson gently pursued a rather abrupt and ratty Jane Cregan (Creegan?) who is a sidekick of Barry Kenny in the agitprop department. It will be online fairly soon, about 10 minutes into the program ( 4:40 pm)

On the lines of

Mary , 'why did you lot not bother telling dempsey its 2018 not 2015'?
    Jane, 'whats done is done water under the bridge lets move on now'

I near crashed my tram :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Just after looking at Wikipedia on the topic and see that they no longer plan to replace the current docklands station with a new one connecting with the LUAS for the DART. Is there any maps with this allingment? when did they decide that?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Are these people accountable to anyone? This must be around the fifth or sixth time in the past year that they haven't informed the minister of something fundamental.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hungerford wrote: »
    This must be around the fifth or sixth time in the past year that they haven't informed the minister of something fundamental.:rolleyes:
    Like a three years delay the biggest transport project in the history of the state as it happens :rolleyes: . Jane Cregan sounded like she had put it all behind her and was moving on. Dempsey should do the same :D

The Drivetime Interview

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/ click Latest Show icon and then play in Real Player. The Jane Cregan interview starts at 11:50 and she only promised to tell Dempsey "within the coming days" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Poor old Jane - what a clueless bint, makes Barry Kenny seem like Einstein. What all of them seem to overlook is that Dempsey and the Greens are destined for the wilderness for the next 10-15 years and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that FG will proceed with this crazy plan. Don't forget it was the same CIE that brought you Rail Plan 80; 201 class locos; 22000s with no SDO etc.etc......I wouldn't trust them with a Hornby set.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Why would Fine Gael not go through with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

fitzyshea wrote: »

Not sure on the IC but I'm prety certain Enda Kenny said he won't build the MN if he gets into power.

Though he does favour extending the WRC. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Drivetime Interview

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/ click Latest Show icon and then play in Real Player. The Jane Cregan interview starts at 11:50 and she only promised to tell Dempsey "within the coming days" .

Jeez I can't listen to any more of that interview. Every second word literally is "am" or "ah". Surely if you're going to be hired into a PR role you should be able to think and speak clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

fitzyshea wrote: »

Given that Fine Gael were opposed to the original DART lines being developed and have a pathological hatred of spending taxpayers money on anything, I think it is highly likely that CIE's grandiose plans will be consigned to the dustbin once a new government is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Anyone else worried that they'll forget that they need space in the tunnel for trains to go both ways?

0002c70b10dr.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mark200 wrote: »
    Anyone else worried that they'll forget that they need space in the tunnel for trains to go both ways?

0002c70b10dr.jpg

They could do it on the cheap.

Have one tunnel with passing points at each station. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Dempsey says it's the first he's heard of a delay. I hope he's lying and not that badly out of touch.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/news/news-headlines/dempsey-cautions-irish-rail-over-statement/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dynamick wrote: »
    Dempsey says it's the first he's heard of a delay. I hope he's lying and not that badly out of touch.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/news/news-headlines/dempsey-cautions-irish-rail-over-statement/

I find this hard to believe. The Dept. website had it clearly stated that it was delayed to 2018 many weeks ago. There's a thread on here somewhere with the link. Sponge? You had it. Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

They could do it on the cheap.

Have one tunnel with passing points at each station. :p

Laugh now but thats exactly what happened with the cross city rail link in Belfast 15 years ago!

dynamick wrote: »

Looks like Dempsey is either a tool or he doesn't want the news public. On April 4th last on the infrastructure forum a link was posted that showed the Governments PPP tender site clearly listing that the DART tunnel was to start construction in 2012 with a completion date in 2018.

Here's the link;

http://www.ppp.gov.ie/ppp-projects

Once that page opens click on the other link and scroll down to number 45. Its all there in black and white. I thought we all knew.:D

From Newstalk.
    The Transport Minister has revealed he was not told of an announcement by Irish Rail to delay a major project in Dublin – even though he was with the company’s board this morning.
    The targeted completion date for the underground DART link is now being moved out to 2018, with Irish Rail blaming “planning delays”.
    Noel Dempsey has told the Dáil he was with the board of CIE this morning, and they said nothing about what they ended up announcing at lunchtime.
    And Minister Dempsey says planning can’t be to blame and he is furious that Irish Rail could announce any policy decisions.
    “I don’t know how the statement could be made in relation to planning because – again, if I’m wrong I’ll stand corrected in relation to this – but I understand that the statement that was made that because of delays in the planning process that it was likely to go out to that time” he said.
    “But I don’t know how anybody could make a statement like that – because nobody knows how long it’s going to be in the planning process”.
    “But if the company is deciding off it’s own bat that it’s going to re-order government priorities, they’ll be hearing from me” he added.

Ah yes. IE trying to cover Government ass and Government not realising that IE are trying to cover their ass, despite it being Government knowledge that 2018 is the revised date.

Credibility out the door. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

“But if the company is deciding off it’s own bat that it’s going to re-order government priorities, they’ll be hearing from me” he added.

I can't wait to see what happens when Dempsey works his magic.

I expect the diggers out there next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

wasn't Jane Cregan the one who rubbished Mark Gleeson on the radio for suggesting service trains to Portlaoise in the evenings just before, er, IE introduced service trains to Portlaoise in the evenings? :rolleyes:

dowlingm wrote: »
    wasn't Jane Cregan the one who rubbished Mark Gleeson on the radio for suggesting service trains to Portlaoise in the evenings just before, er, IE introduced service trains to Portlaoise in the evenings? :rolleyes:

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Mark200 wrote: »

isin't it a separate bore for each track anyway?

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Ah yes. IE trying to cover Government ass and Government not realising that IE are trying to cover their ass, despite it being Government knowledge that 2018 is the revised date.

First time I saw this. Dempsey has been quangoed by two of his very own quangos :D

The PPP spreadsheet you linked from March is a Dept of Finance document ( another feckin quango called the NDFA also publishes ppp updates on its websites) but that emanated from the Central PPP Unit Department of Finance Government Buildings

It seems the dept of Finance and CIE BOTH knew the project completion was delayed until 2018 and NOBODY bothered to tell Dempsey :D

FURTHERMORE the contact person for the Interconnector PPP is Derek O'Neill, National Transport Authority, 59 Dawson St. Dublin 2 so another of Dempseys quangos, recently set up by Dempsey so he could always blame someone else for his own uselessness did not bother to tell him either.

Other than providing a merc for Dempsey to haul himself and his golf clubs around the country why do we have a Minister for Transport when CIE/NTA and the Dept of Finance make all the policy decisions anyway ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dowlingm wrote: »

To clarify this, at the time the 22K rosters were changing every time new sets were being introduced so there was no set pattern as to when trains were going to Portlaoise.

When sufficient sets were introduced to allow for the 2210 service to Portlaoise to be guaranteed every night it was introduced.

Advertisement