Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walterstown Castle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

There aren't any gates that I know of... though there is a fairly beautiful old set very close, just up the road. From what I remember of it it's fairly neglected and almost overrun. I don't know what the gates lead to, but Walterstown Castle was actually just down the hill. If you know where the entrance to the Marlogue Inn is, then you'll be aware of the grey house directly opposite it. One of the small walls you can just about see inside the garden is the remains of the bawn.

Also, hello to another Cobh person :D

Edit - Have taken screenshots of the area in Google maps, and drew awful little arrows. Linked to instead of posting due to size.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12657734/Walterstown.png

To the south, next to the marina, is the start of Marlogue Woods. You can clearly see the bawn as a small wall in the image. I have also marked where I think the gates you're referring to are. This aerial view of a rural area is also available on street view, oddly enough, so here it is (the small ditch looking thing is what remains of the bawn) -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12657734/Bawn.png

Hmm... look at the little wall across from the house, the raised platform of it, and look at the rocks at the side... possibly some of the remains of the castle materials? Looking at the picture below, as close as I can get with the aerial view, you can see the remains of a rectangular shape. Was this, then, the position of the castle? One of my sources states that the Lavallens had a house built next to the castle - the current building was probably built on top of the foundations of the older house. That means the castle foundations should still be there.

bawn2.png

If so, then I estimate the castle's size to be around the same as Belvelly Castle, in width if not in height. We know that Walterstown Castle had a seperate tower which the bawn attached to. This is Belvelly Castle -

dscf0371.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

My apologies, after examining the 1st edition OS maps, it was actually the gates/lodge to Belgrove I saw. :o

I'm not from Cobh by the way. Just like going for runs in areas with interesting surroundings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

telekon wrote: »
    My apologies, after examining the 1st edition OS maps, it was actually the gates/lodge to Belgrove I saw. :o

I'm not from Cobh by the way. Just like going for runs in areas with interesting surroundings. :)

What is strange is that the 1st edition OS map does not even mention a "Site Of" Ballywalter Castle. The first Ed was usually spot on with such sites...

The OSI web site has a free viewer for looking at both the six inch and 25 inch OS maps and is usually a good first call for identifying similar sites.

I would also check O'Donavans Place Name books in the library as well just on the off chance there is an entry for Walterstown - this collection should be available in the Local Studies Section.

Advertisement