Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the most prevalent IRA rifle?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Mazda 626 hatchback with steel plate in the boot to act as amour. to the best of my knowledge. The thing with target shooting is that it doesn't come close to replicating the stress of shooting at a live target, who is surrounded by his friends, who are going to be very pissed off that you shot one of them.

Try running as hard as you can for 5 minutes. Give yourself 30 seconds to get into a firing position and fire one shot at a target that can be between 200 and 400 yards. For added spice get a big burly buddy wearing hob nails to stand behind you and give you a swift kick in the "town halls" if you miss.

It mightn't be the longest distance sniping in history but its the environment in which the shots were taken that earned the respect of the British officers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Why is this thread in "military"?

The PIRA were a criminal organisation, not a military force.

I'm fine with it. The British Army had to deal with them, so it's of relevance.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Rawhead wrote: »
    Mazda 626 hatchback with steel plate in the boot to act as amour. to the best of my knowledge. The thing with target shooting is that it doesn't come close to replicating the stress of shooting at a live target, who is surrounded by his friends, who are going to be very pissed off that you shot one of them.

Try running as hard as you can for 5 minutes. Give yourself 30 seconds to get into a firing position and fire one shot at a target that can be between 200 and 400 yards. For added spice get a big burly buddy wearing hob nails to stand behind you and give you a swift kick in the "town halls" if you miss.

It mightn't be the longest distance sniping in history but its the environment in which the shots were taken that earned the respect of the British officers.

If by respect you mean they caught him he would have choked on his own testicles.
    Caoimhin O'Caoilean's brother in law, got 160 years, barely served one.
    Ratted out his provo mates though.

I'm fine with it. The British Army had to deal with them, so it's of relevance.

NTM

Where is the thread on Afghan IEDs, and which one works best?

If by respect you mean they caught him he would have choked on his own testicles.
    Caoimhin O'Caoilean's brother in law, got 160 years, barely served one.
    Ratted out his provo mates though.

You know I mean a grudging respect. From the few UK security forces lads I would have talked to most would have had a small bit of grudging respect for the likes of this fella or the provos who went toe to toe with them (wasn't often). They held a special hate for the bombers. Having a grudging respect wouldn't stop them killing them though.
    I would wager that in your profession that a certain amount of grudging respect would be shown to a well planned and executed heist.
    Wouldn't stop you doing your job in arresting them and getting them sent down.

• Advertisement

I don't think the vast majority of people on this thread would in any way, shape or form support the IRA in the past, present or future, I certainly don't.

I do however have a interest in the military and in Irish history. This thread is not glorifying the terrorists but mainly discussing their tactics and weapons.

We could discuss the Chechnya's tactics against the Russians, we could discuss the Algerians tactics against the French or we could discuss the Taliban tactics against the NATO forces but, I for one am Irish and the history and tactics that were used by the PIRA 50 miles from my house are of more interest to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Don't think anyone's started one.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

IIRC the sanger in Crossmaglen, which was frequently attacked, was at one point attacked with an improvised flamethrower from a slurry tank.
    Pretty audacious attack!!
    I think there is cctv footage of it.

As regards the sniping i doubt they would have gotten much practice and the practice they got was most likely in underground firing ranges. So its understandable that they were ****.
    But the psychological effects were devastating. After the sniping campaign began, the by now famous "sniper at work" signs appeared and where booby-trapped. IIRC two BA soldiers were killed trying to remove the signs.

At their height the IRA only had ~600 active members.

I would wager that in your profession that a certain amount of grudging respect would be shown to a well planned and executed heist.
    Wouldn't stop you doing your job in arresting them and getting them sent down.

You have that very very wrong.

What's my current profession again?

You have that very very wrong.

What's my current profession again?

Stage coach tilter?

Mule skinner?

Chimney sweep?

Or maybe, just maybe, your the last man standing between society and the marauding hoards of criminal scum who are intent on destroying the very fabric of society itself.

• Advertisement

Stage coach tilter?

Mule skinner?

Chimney sweep?

Or maybe, just maybe, your the last man standing between society and the marauding hoards of criminal scum who are intent on destroying the very fabric of society itself.

Sorry boss
    the civil service isn't quite that exciting.....

Advertisement