Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographic lap of pond

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Fantastic news! :)

My Swans are in Wicklow Town. I saw them there today and they have the bread to themselves. No other swans there. The cygnets have grown a lot! Down to 4, but there were 5 up to very recently (last couple days) and from what some folk there were saying they arrived either the same day or the day after they left my place.

The distance in a stright line is 5.5km. They had only completed 1km when I left them though they travelled 2 km to get that far.

This is the first time I've seen and recognised them in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

Mothman wrote: »
    Fantastic news! :)

My Swans are in Wicklow Town. I saw them there today and they have the bread to themselves. No other swans there. The cygnets have grown a lot! Down to 4, but there were 5 up to very recently (last couple days) and from what some folk there were saying they arrived either the same day or the day after they left my place.

The distance in a stright line is 5.5km. They had only completed 1km when I left them though they travelled 2 km to get that far.

This is the first time I've seen and recognised them in Wicklow.
    Thats great news,I'm sure your delighted to know they are safe and well.Make sure you keep us up to date with photos,at the moment am keeping an eye on our local ponds in Tymon park, plenty of activity at the moment, Cygnets galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 d32

your work is wonderful i'll be showing the local kids this swan story-they'd kinda know the road...delighted to have come across this cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

212hnk7.jpg
    My pond not as big as Mothman's lake:( But home to a fine population of native nine spined sticklebacks:cool: 4.5mX2.5m, 2.5m at it's deepest point

9vhxmb.jpg
    Smaller pond 2.5mX1.5m, 1m at it's deepest point. Full of tadpoles at the moment. There's no sticklebacks in this pond.

2hz38fd.jpg
    My spagnum moss/heather bog. Collected it from part of a bog that's been filled in:(

dgtm49.jpg
    One of my garden residents earlier in year

2i9h5hc.jpg
    My native irish hedge. Mainly whitethorn (60%) but with blackthorn, hazel, spindle, guelder rose, dog rose, ash, oak, holly, willow, gorse, mountain ash, irish crab apple, irish bird cherry, elder and my favourite (pictured) wych elm. My wild flower is in the right of the picture. Only sowed last year and will take 4 years to mature so early days yet.

10z0duv.jpg My water diverter collects water from roof into the two water butts (400L capacity). I have hose pipes from water butts to ponds to give flows of fresh water to them. Tap water is toxic to pond inhabitants.

fmktu9.jpg
    Garden bogs: Bullrush, yellow iris, purple loosestriff, heather.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 d32

heya-Feargal did you need to line your ponds with anything-am wondering if you bothered or are they in a marshy space anyway....if you did line it what did you use? ....inspiring post and photos ...

• Advertisement

d32 wrote: »
    heya-Feargal did you need to line your ponds with anything-am wondering if you bothered or are they in a marshy space anyway....if you did line it what did you use? ....inspiring post and photos ...
    Unfortunately unless you have a stream with a constant flow of water or live near a real marsh/real bog you will need liner. I use PVC liner. Butyl rubber is the best liner but is also the most expensive Make sure you have no sharp stones or anything likely to puncture the liner. I then put an old carpet and sand as an underlay. The water diverter is great for keeping a good supply of fresh water for your ponds/bog. Make sure you use only native plants. I sourced all of mine from local ponds. If you have to buy from garden centre make sure their native plants.
    Get your shovel out and start diggin'.

"My" swans have returned. Been here for about a week. They did have other swans in tow which I assume are their cygnets but they didn't manage to land. Its a hard place for swans to get in and out of, but not a bother for my pair.
    I saw what I assume are the 4 cygnets flying over during next 3 days. Each time they were communicating with their parents who were on the ground. Who called them "Mute" Swans....positively noisy!
    I've never heard communication before between swans on land and others in air.
    6D425F08E76F4DB9A9BB95F3F50C2CCB-0000317152-0001971182-00800L-8D582E1DEC6F4244B43AE034424082C8.jpg
    0CF2CBD9A2DB43FAB1865F08D1668EC2-0000317152-0001971183-00800L-F9BEDC6992B84835B5B9FF886BE7B7E6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

what size is the lake mothman, is it totally man made, its a lovely setup you have, is there a stream running into it etc, how do you handle overflow

Lake is about 70 x 30m, dug out 11 years ago. 3 days with excavator and 2 tractors and trailers. I have the option of diverting stream into it, but most of time it is not flowing in. The overflow floods a lower bog area which is nearly same size as lake.
    I also put in a pond this year. The 2nd photo above with single swan is the pond. Clay lined and fed from house roof. I wanted a pond nearer the house that wouldn't have the Little Grebes eating all the big dragonfly larvae.

The issue with lake is that the water lilies and spreading quite quickly and if left alone would cover nearly all lake withing about 5 years. I think it may be quite a task to remove most of them. They are well rooted in and tough to cut.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Wonderful thread as always mothman, this forum would be so much poorer without you, thanks a mill for your input.;)

Is there much maintenance to keep the lake in peak condition, like build up of algae, cleaning etc...

• Advertisement

Maintenanace has been minimal up to now. There was some algae for a few years until a balance was achieved. Used to rake the algae in, unfortunately full of Stickleback :(

In recent years invasive water (non native) plant has been taking over and the water lilies are getting large. Also some trees are getting large and plenty of willows are being cut.

I'm going to see if I can make an impact on the water plant and the water lilies during next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ehewitt

totally enchanted by your swans, what a lovely post and stunning images, thanks for sharing it:)

Maintenanace has been minimal up to now. There was some algae for a few years until a balance was achieved. Used to rake the algae in, unfortunately full of Stickleback :(

In recent years invasive water (non native) plant has been taking over and the water lilies are getting large. Also some trees are getting large and plenty of willows are being cut.

I'm going to see if I can make an impact on the water plant and the water lilies during next few months.
    What invasive plants have taken hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

ehewitt wrote: »
    totally enchanted by your swans, what a lovely post and stunning images, thanks for sharing it:)

Totally agree, great thread! There are several of these images I would love ot have on my wall. do you sell them? if not you should:)

What invasive plants have taken hold?
    I'm sure one of them is Canadian Pondweed and can't remember what the other is, but it's worse!
    Probably originated from garden centre all those years ago when getting plants for lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Is your pond frozen this morning, MM?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I'm sure one of them is Canadian Pondweed and can't remember what the other is, but it's worse!
    Probably originated from garden centre all those years ago when getting plants for lake.

Great site for non native species
    http://invasives.biodiversityireland.ie/

Cormorant is annual visitors to the garden, but never seen 2 together before.
    This captured today. Excuse the limitations of my compact camera.
    25085D0A2D3E4D05BA27E95CEA9A0F17-0000317152-0002037079-00800L-FA035585081541AE925756A7BFC7743B.jpg
    002421EBCA0244F7BE99ACEC44EC926A-0000317152-0002037078-00897L-0C53805053BB4A2EA92EF2215598D54B.jpg

Nice one mothman,
    you must have a good bird list for your garden:) To add to your moth and dragonfly list:D
    Your swan doesn't appear too happy with them though!

The swans don't tolerate much and in Spring they chase the Mallards away!
    No idea on my garden list. I don't keep list counts. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Fantastic thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Beingolderis better

Scotty # wrote: »
    Fantastic thread!

Yes,very beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I was just wondering to myself if we are going to be getting a Photographic lap of the Pond 2011 :D:D:D

ppink wrote: »
    I was just wondering to myself if we are going to be getting a Photographic lap of the Pond 2011 :D:D:D
    :D
    You know what is about sequels...never as good as the original :)

Swans are back, nesting a little further from house, possible because of the dog which we haven't had before.

Advertisement