Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographic lap of pond

Options
  • 01-05-2010 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Actually half a lap and it's a large pond. I was blessed with a opportunity to create a large pond in my garden about 10 years ago and I've been reaping the rewards ever since.
    A pond is a wonderful addition to a garden. It is such a wildlife magnet and while something on this scale is an option for very few, perhaps this may inspire consideration to putting in a pond of a size that suits the space available.

I felt that things were happening today so went out with kids and camera
    Male swan (cob) arousing from his rest
    100EFC91CA0C4F0BB2BBC7F53B5AC7F1.jpg

He's on the move and in a defensive pose. The Marsh Marigolds are throwing their splash of yellow everywhere and the oak just into leaf in my favourite tree in the garden.
    433720C576894A819B29FAD8952A78D8-800.jpg

These guys were trapped under ice for a while after spawning, but they are lapping up the warmth now
    BBEF0ACE33C6424FAF676A20D8F832B2.jpg

This is a floating nest of the Little Grebe. They quickly cover the eggs with water plants when disturbed. One egg can be seen. Its white but by the time they hatch the eggs are brown from the water plants
    D41BD6D672D14248A0DF8F4E7943A744.jpg

Nearly stood on a frog! I think 2 years old, about half adult size.
    85E06212C6384BEB9D2F8FFC51D3D28A-800.jpg

The first dragonfly of the season. a female Hairy Dragonfly/Spring Hawker (take your pick) emerged today. The exuvia (larval skin) was what she was in only a matter of hours before. Despite the lack of sunshine she had flown an hour later.
    BE508A6D10A847928FEC1B50E6F3466D-800.jpg

At the far end of pond we have herself on the nest for past 5 weeks. Today was due day and they were on schedule.
    Can just see a glimpse of a grey body :)
    AA822F21431948A593DCA3AF3171C06F.jpg

And this is why he had defensive pose. He kept himself between us and nest
    56AFCC7E2C6947B79B74E8A400C13D5B.jpg

The cygnets showed themselves an hour later. At least 5 though only got 2 with camera
    E3DEB45108DD474F8A44D7CF43069696.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Glad you seeing fruits of your enterprise, it's a pleasure to see:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Great pictures Mothman, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Still waiting for the first trip on water for cygnets.
    There is possibly one egg remaining, but they need to decide to abandon this soon so not to set back the hatched cygnets.
    This swan has been nesting here for many years and when she was young she got the balance of when to abandon the last egg wrong and staed on the nest for about 3 days after cygnets hatched. She has been much wiser sice and only stays about a day. I'm expecting her on the water today.

And if I could edit the title I'd correct spelling!!

Managed to witness the first splash by the cygnets. They were very reluctant! This was the second attempt by mum to get them in. First attempt about 30 minutes earlier was aborted after only 2 cygnets entered. It took about 2 minutes from first to all in the water.

First one
    6E91649915EF42088B82E83BCE578921.jpg

Three in
    2EEA5F11097F4636B3AAC5F0000C68C2.jpg

F5DC260D7C1A420FB79BC23FB66A156B-800.jpg

E06586D8DB264EA9BE203A6D7EF6A18B.jpg

Final one
    5C3C4A60B18E49CEAF658E7284368FE0.jpg

Then the proud mother came to me to show them off. I think this is the seventh year nesting here. We're well acquainted
    E8D4B82090154A3EBCA2452EA4672F3B.jpg

And here they are before they left the nest. When I first got a full count
    85962B57FFF84067A7B4C82EC76F614C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wow, that must be amazing having all that going on right in your back garden! I think the entire plot of our house would fit into just the area of your pond :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Excellent work there Mothman with the pond and the photos. Thanks for sharing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kalahari

That pond is brilliant, I'd love to have something like that in my garden!
    When do you expect the grebe eggs to hatch?

It think it takes about 3 weeks, so it'll be after mid May when the eggs hatch. They will have another one or 2 broods.

I'll see if I can get a photo of the eggs without the cover. To do this I need to sneak up so that the adult dives without having time to cover the eggs. I then need to make sure that they get back without Magpie, Hooded Crow or Heron getting the eggs.

What does interest me most is the dragonfly fauna. I don't usually bother with photos, but I may just make an effort to get photos of them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Thanks for sharing those great pictures of your pond.We have a tinchy one compared to yours it amazing the amount of life you get in them.
    The cygnets are really impressive:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Love the marsh marigolds. Dragon/damselfies are a special interest of mine.

• Advertisement

Durnish wrote: »
    Love the marsh marigolds. Dragon/damselfies are a special interest of mine.
    Saw 2 species of Damselfly yesterday - 3rd May
    Common Blue Damselfly/Common Bluet
    Azure Damselfly/Azure Bluet

I expect to see Four-spotted Chaser Large Red Damselfly and Common Blue-tailed Damselfly during May

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

great pics Mothman but that aint no pond!!! That be a lake

scudzilla wrote: »
    great pics Mothman but that aint no pond!!! That be a lake
    :)

Actually I do call it a lake but I didn't want to sound too grand here.

I learned the old names when I did the dragonfly recording course for the Dragonfly Ireland project. Find the new ones harder to remember.

Do you catch them and then look at the marks behind their necks? I find it easiest to photograph the neck segment so that I can identify at leisure. This sounds a bit nerdy.

I learned the old names when I did the dragonfly recording course for the Dragonfly Ireland project. Find the new ones harder to remember.

Do you catch them and then look at the marks behind their necks? I find it easiest to photograph the neck segment so that I can identify at leisure. This sounds a bit nerdy.
    Not nerdy to me :D

I have close focusing binoculars but often use net to identify, particularly the females. I contributed records to Dragonfly Ireland as well and "grew up" with the old names, the names that as far as I know all the current guides use, and I find it very hard to adopt other names

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Amazing stuff, I'm really jealous. Would love to have a feature like that or even the land to put in a pond/lake :(

One cygnet down.
    Usually they are quite successful at rearing their cygnets for the first month so its a concern they've lost one so quick.

There are mink in the area and I've seen one once couple years ago. I'm hoping I don't have any in temporary residence now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mothman wrote: »
    One cygnet down.
    Usually they are quite successful at rearing their cygnets for the first month so its a concern they've lost one so quick.

There are mink in the area and I've seen one once couple years ago. I'm hoping I don't have any in temporary residence now.

Ah bugger

What are the usual mortality rates Mothman? Out of the 7 how many do you suspect will survive to 1 year or older?

I've no personal experience because my swans walk out on me.....no kidding!!
    Every year, usually first week of June the swans, parents and cygnets up and leave and walk to Wicklow.
    Ok the walking to wicklow is not strictly true but they head to the tidal lakes (Broad Lough) north of Wicklow. Sometimes they travel overland and sometime down the shallow stream that goes all the way to Broad Lough. Either way it's 2km. Overland means out my lane, down the road :eek: and then down another lane and across fields.

One year when they nested late the cygnets were only 2 weeks old. This year if they follow same timing they will be much stronger.

In Autumn the parents have returned with as many as 2 cygnets in tow, so they do succeed but I've no direct experience to answer your question about mortality.

The swans leaving is bitter sweet...shame to see them go, but 6 or more swans over Summer would make a real mess of the lake

never mind the mess round your lake, imagine the world if seven cygnets survived into adulthood and reproduction from each pair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Vegeta wrote: »
    What are the usual mortality rates...

Mortality rates in Mute Swans is as high as in most birds. Mink are a real problem and can wipe out a clutch in very little time. Foxes have been known to take Cygnets, as have Pike. Disease, hunger, cold all take a toll. Collisions with overhead obstacles (transmission lines etc) are also a significant factor.
    never mind the mess round your lake, imagine the world if seven cygnets survived into adulthood and reproduction from each pair!
    :rolleyes:
    That scenario applies to all creatures on this Earth!

Swans in Ireland begin breeding at an average age of 3 years (less in Britain). Life expectancy in Ireland is 10 years. If in that intervening 7 years a pair raises 2 or 3 young to breeding stage then they have been successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

That is one epic pond. What size is it in terms of your whole site? like does it take up your whole garden. How deep is it? How do you prevent flooding?

It makes sense to continue a story here about the swans. I mentioned earlier that the swans leave each year when cygnets are a few weeks old.
    They left yesterday and the following is the detail of the journey....

I was heading out to do some work at about 7.10am when I noticed the tail ends of the 7 swans. We lost a 2nd cygnet about 2 days previously, so down to 5. I knew immediately that they were heading out along my lane.

So informed the family that I was dropping everything and going with the swans. My daughter accompanied me.

On my lane at 7.19am
    F89E2B5FC41B4A5AB6C02176A4C7AEB4.jpg

Onto road at 7.28. At the end of the straight is the entrance they usually head in, about 200m and with it being straight, it's relatively straight forward, but the swans tend to walk down the middle and I try to usher them to side so they are only blocking one way.
    8EF362276B174B2EB3D5170F17186B5D.jpg

7.35am and the only traffic and just reaching this entrance
    2ADB0369E84244E3B30C37E89C82BED5.jpg

8.02 am and still on the road :eek: and they are getting tired with all of them sitting down at times to rest. Alas they continued passed the previous entrance. It may have been because a car just happened to appear in this entrance at just the wrong time, but it seemed they were going to stay on the road anyway. Plenty of traffic including one car that had to make a rapid stop when he came across us when he went round corner.
    So this is about 600m further on and just approaching the next entrance. I was determined to force them in here because the next entrance another 600m on would have involved many dogs.
    9121D00CC7DA41A8976E346D0D063A25-800.jpg

8.03am and they didn't need encouragement to go in. They pondered for about a minute of how to get through the gate but they managed to fit under.
    ADF002FB6374492EB2DF5337AD59262E.jpg

The ow er of this field caught up with me at this stage and told me the lye of the land and where the drains are. These drains lead to Broadlough. They also put in their dog.

8.18am and stuck in a corner of field. I knew they would be but also knew there was nothing I could do until they reached it. So now I'm attempting to move them along the hedge to a gap, but it is against their sense of what direction they need to go in
    D5CC7B3F28F64667B4ED986732703DF8-800.jpg

8.27am After me trying to manhandle them to go this way and they giving out me I asked my daughter to lead.........and they followed ....phew :)
    There is a bank (new hedgerow) in the distance
    E215C75033344D3B8C4893AB5D6311C4-800.jpg

8.35am. Up and over the bank. There is a house here and drain starts not far from it.
    563F0D2E293F49F4B1299B24BCD1FE92-800.jpg

Last photo but it took another 25 minutes because they refused despite my best forcing efforts to direct them to take the short way under a post and rail fence.
    They arrived at pond. I left them at this stage. I hear they left this pond aout half a hour later and continued across fields. They didn't find the drain I was trying to direct them to. Eventually they will have reached one of a number of drains and all I can assume is that they did so safely.

The journey covered about 2km and took 1.50 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

A great story, well recorded. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Well done Mothman, brilliant post. Thank's for taking the time to post it.

Thanks for feedback. Its a pleasure to share the experience.
    I do feel responsibility towards them. I'm respnsible for creating a breeding site. She has been nesting here for about 8 years. I'll have to look at my notes to confirm. She's almost part of family. They have had tustles with other swan pairs and even lost control of the pond to another pair for a while, but won it back before nesting.

Don't know how long she can keep owning the pond because she suffered an injury to her leg/foot between leaving this time last year and returning in late Autumn. She walks with a limp and there is a cut (healed) in the webbing in a foot.

Her mate is strong though, probably in his prime now, so I anticipate they'll nest again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You deserve a medal; Swan Lollipop Person of the Year:)

These are scattering from the pond now.
    very hard to walk around without stepping on them.
    Plenty without tails.

If the hens find them they'll have a field day... :eek:
    253B3286DFF64AF48E1E7D3F1AE7E6EB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

that is mad early for frogs..are there any newts in the pond? I am doing a newt survey in Dublin at the moment. my tadpoles dont even have back legs yet.

• Advertisement

that is mad early for frogs..are there any newts in the pond? I am doing a newt survey in Dublin at the moment. my tadpoles dont even have back legs yet.
    Yes, I thought it early, but there has been a lot of sunshine recently and water temperature is high and development from back legs to emerging has been very rapid.

There are tons of newts here near Ashford. Even counted 7 in a flooded vehicle track. Still got water in it and is a mass of algae

Advertisement