Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

071 class

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

JHMEG wrote: »
    There are always going to be emissions issues with diesel in compression ignition engines, and treatment of exhaust is the only solution. In cars Diesel Particulate Filters, Adblue and even exhaust plasma reactors are all used to varying degrees of success.

Good point that about exhaust filtration and treatment - catch the stuff on the way out. I'm not up to speed on what's happening in the railway world on that issue. I do know that large diesel manufacturers have reduced their Nox emissions in recent years as claimed in their specs.

However simpler issues like worn fuel injector nozzles, worn piston scraper rings and compression rings, dirty air filters, incorrect timing and phasing can unnecessarily give rise to excessive emissions also and applies equally to 2 and 4 stroke diesel engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

JHMEG wrote: »
    Tier 2, as applied to locomotives is not the same as Tier 2 for cars. Tiers 0-2 do not require exhaust treatment, which is a bad sign.
    True, but it looks like the 710ECO will manage Tier 3, which does (certainly GO Transit are praying it will, and Tier 4 too). However, I'm not sure that Tier 3 is actually being certified yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I Guess all "stink wheel" rail cars are 4 strokers just like their predessors, the AEC's, these are all worse culprits for belching out fumes than any 2 stroke loco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

dowlingm wrote: »
    True, but it looks like the 710ECO will manage Tier 3, which does (certainly GO Transit are praying it will, and Tier 4 too). However, I'm not sure that Tier 3 is actually being certified yet?

Looking at that page referenced, it looks like T3 also doesn't require exhaust treatment. Still a bad sign. The cleanest non-treated diesel exhaust is still pretty filthy.

Unfortunately the yanks are using g/bhp/hr as their measurement, and we use g/km. I have no idea how to convert between them, so it makes direct comparisons between what we allow and what they allow quite difficult.

Dieselnet lists Euro Stage 3/4 as g/kw-hr, US Tiers as g/bhp-hr - to convert Euro to US multiply by 0.746

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

dowlingm wrote: »
    Dieselnet lists Euro Stage 3/4 as g/kw-hr, US Tiers as g/bhp-hr - to convert Euro to US multiply by 0.746

Without me going through it, how do we compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I Guess all "stink wheel" rail cars are 4 strokers just like their predessors, the AEC's, these are all worse culprits for belching out fumes than any 2 stroke loco.

Yep, the 26/27/2800 railcars all use 4 stroke cummins diesel engines rated at around 350hp. The 29000's use a MAN engine instead rated at closer to 400bhp.

I don't know the spec for the 22000 railcars, and I'm open to correction on this, but I thought that these railcars were supposed to be fitted with diesel particulate filters in their exhausts to cut pollution? Anyone know?

The 22Ks use 360kW/483bhp MTU 6H 1800 R83P engines which meet Euro Stage IIIA/EPA Tier 3.

GM locomotive enthusiasts may be interested in the following trip from Connolly to Arklow return, then Connolly Mullingar return on Sunday 3rd of October. The loco hauling the heritage set is 071. Details just announced on the RPSI website.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/#bob

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

maybe it can use it's red wheel - flux capacitor to go back in time to a point where the line was in good nick :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Ironically, the track is in better condition now compared to when they were around, yet speeds are lower, and less 'hammer-blow' from nose suspended traction motors is taking place these days without them.

I've always had a fondness for these machines, and I know very few who don't. That being said, I enjoyed them while they were around, like all things, something better has to replace them. My earliest memory of them is returning from Waterford on a cool August evening after getting my Leaving results.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

it looks like a good day out

some moaning on IRN about the motive power not being a 201
    are 201s cleared to go to arklow?

eejoynt wrote: »
    it looks like a good day out

some moaning on IRN about the motive power not being a 201

yes, I've had that confirmed by one of their civ engineers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

eejoynt wrote: »
    Yep, they worked the ammonia trains to shelton abbey before it closed.

I haven't seen the IRN thread but I personally would like to see 201s on some tours for the novelty factor of them being places they rarely went to. With the ITG tour earlier in the year (when 078 ran instead of 146+171) I said at the time they should have put a 201 on it and mention it as the first time a 201 went to Sligo - they are cleared now because of the Shannon bridge replacement. A friend of mine agreed but also said many people would have no interest in a 201-hauled tour.

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1718?page=17 (start at #167)

201s are too quiet, it seems! Not what I thought a 3000hp V12 loco would be described as :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

GM locomotive enthusiasts may be interested in the following trip from Connolly to Arklow return, then Connolly Mullingar return on Sunday 3rd of October. The loco hauling the heritage set is 071. Details just announced on the RPSI website.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/#bob

It says they're using a "heritage set". MK3's?????

It says they're using a "heritage set". MK3's?????
    Park Royals and laminates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Preservation_Society_of_Ireland#Fleet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I think I spotted one of the RPSI GM loco's in some old pics I hav, think it was a 141 class. But it was black?????? Whats goin on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they were predominantly black from new with bits of white. I think some of them were grey also

• Advertisement

I think I spotted one of the RPSI GM loco's in some old pics I hav, think it was a 141 class. But it was black?????? Whats goin on there?

141/142 was only repainted black last year.
    before that it was orange black & white.

It hasn't been that black colour since the late 60s/ early 70s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Do the RPSI have any MK2/3's? Were they always orange or did they start off on some other colour too?

newmug wrote: »
    Do the RPSI have any MK2/3's? Were they always orange or did they start off on some other colour too?

Yes they have a set of ex BR Mk2s and also a couple of former CIÉ/IR ones. I believe they also have a Mk3 sleeper coach but is only used internally. The CIÉ sets were originally in a similar livery, without the white stripes along the windows. The orange was also a different shade too.

NewMug - This is a link to one of the inventory pages re the Mark 2's. Lots of photos of the various stock are contained in the reports on the various tours - click on the various links from the home page.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/carriages/belfast_steel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

corktina wrote: »
    they were predominantly black from new with bits of white. I think some of them were grey also

The 121 class (B121-135) were delivered in a grey livery with yellow markings. All later became black/white/tan followed by orange & black "Supertrain" in the 1970's.

The 141 and 181 classes (B141-177, B181-192) were delivered in the black with tan and white stripes. They were repainted in orange and black "Supertrain" livery in the 1970's when the "B" prefix was also dropped. It was very late 1970's when the last one was repainted out of black, 1978/9.

Thanks Steamengine. The Supertrain livery is my favourite.

I saw this on Eiretrains. A 2K in supertrain livery. Why did they have to change it, WHY:(:(:(:(:(

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locos/001%20Class/slides/017%20at%20Inchicore.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i always thougt ORANGE was a strange choice....id miss the old 001s though :-(

• Advertisement

newmug wrote: »
    I saw this on Eiretrains. A 2K in supertrain livery. Why did they have to change it, WHY:(:(:(:(:(

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locos/001%20Class/slides/017%20at%20Inchicore.html

thats IR orange livery, not supertrain btw.

Supertrain was a darker orange with no white stripes

http://www.eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locos/141%20Class/slides/164%20at%20Connolly%20Station.html

Advertisement