Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

071 class

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭

yes it is another rail thread :rolleyes:
    :o

anyhow. whats this red wheel for?
    couldn't find a decent pic so here's an Eiretrains link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

yes it is another rail thread :rolleyes:
    :o

anyhow. whats this red wheel for?
    couldn't find a decent pic so here's an Eiretrains link

A steering wheel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hamndegger wrote: »
    A steering wheel;)

:D:D:D

the outside wheel for nice days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think it's the hand brake, the 141/181s have a different system in a similar spot that look like a torque bar. It's mainly for when the loco will be parked in the same spot for a long time incase it's normal brakes fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It's to close the bulkhead doors in the event that it gets hit by a torpedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think it's the hand brake, the 141/181s have a different system in a similar spot that look like a torque bar. It's mainly for when the loco will be parked in the same spot for a long time incase it's normal brakes fail.

That's it. When the loco is parked up the wheel is turned to apply the brake. The baby GM's have the torque bar and chains to apply the brake,has to be pumped a few times to apply the brake.

Here's a pic of it:http://andyskinner2887.fotopic.net/p64458062.html

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's to close the bulkhead doors in the event that it gets hit by a torpedo.

:D :pac:

Now that I have a plausable real answer (above) i think it's time to come up with the most outlandish suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

its for turning off the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's the dial of a CIE time machine. One 360 degree turn will bring you back to a GSR 1925 network with 800's running the Dublin-Cork express,Hunslets and MKII's on the Dublin-Belfast,C Class on the spin to Valentia harbour,double headed 121's on the Rosslare. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH,I can dream!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Just looked up some of the specs - GM 2 stroke V12 turbocharged engine giving out 2,250 bhp. top speed 90mph and an amazing max tractive effort of 65,000 lbs. Serious bit of kit - now the wheel !

Simply a spare in case of a puncture !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Its for a clockwork mechanism for winding up the engine in the case of fuel starvation. Makes it good for a further 90 minutes use without rewinding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

It controls the flux capacitor for the turbo charger.

it changes the height of the train so taller drivers can fit in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

It's a cloaking device to be deployed whenever Dick 'my best friends are railcars' Fearn's around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

CIE installed many useful devices on their former locomotives such as these "nippers" which use to snap at members of the public that got too close to the engine cabs.

6h887a.jpg

2n6hts3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Comedy phail.

I'm almost certain that wheel is a manual handbrake.

SeanW wrote: »
    Comedy phail.

I'm almost certain that wheel is a manual handbrake.
    Would you find a manual handbrake on a modern DMU / DVT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

Would you find a manual handbrake on a modern DMU / DVT?

Nope, well not on the outside anyway.

Anyway the wheel on the side, one only, is for the Hand Brake (lefty-loosey & righty-tighty)

It only applies one brake block to two wheels (the trailing wheelset closest to the hand brake).

Well that's official, the secret use is;
    When you turn it several times to the right, and then a few to the left, it begins cold fusion, and thus solves the world energy crisis.
    Unfortunately IÉ burned all the old manuals in one of their "I Hate Locomotives" days for the new management.:D

There's aparently another combination that destroys all the Railcars in 150 mile radiius, this was burned as well! such a shame.........

The 201s have a manual handbrake too but it's operated by a button in the cab rather than a chain or wheel.

Karsini wrote: »
    The 201s have a manual handbrake too but it's operated by a button in the cab rather than a chain or wheel.

885341.jpg

885341.jpg

Thats as just about as effective it would be if the electrics fail. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

885341.jpg

That's disgraceful; how dare they not have it as gaeilge, vegan, braille and with a loop for the hard of hearing:p

Just looked up some of the specs - GM 2 stroke V12 turbocharged engine giving out 2,250 bhp
    Diesel AND two-stroke!:eek:

Sure fire recipe for lung cancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Diesel AND two-stroke!:eek:

Sure fire recipe for lung cancer...

Two strokes diesels are used in trains because they have a far higher power to weight ratio then a four stroke engine of the same size. This is because they have twice as many power "strokes" then a four stroke engine. Two stroke diesels are used in almost all heavy movers - ships, trains etc

However they require some sort of a compressor to compress the air going into the cylinders, usually in the form of a turbocharger or a geared supercharger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Thats as just about as effective it would be if the electrics fail. :p

IE have decided to use the flux capacitor and use the 071 for time travel back to the 80's

landyman wrote: »
    Two strokes diesels are used in trains because they have a far higher power to weight ratio then a four stroke engine of the same size. This is because they have twice as many power "strokes" then a four stroke engine. Two stroke diesels are used in almost all heavy movers - ships, trains etc

However they require some sort of a compressor to compress the air going into the cylinders, usually in the form of a turbocharger or a geared supercharger

True, but some notable engine companies have phased out two-strokes (even petrols) because of pollution (it's easier to make a clean 4-stroke), with other makers heading the same way.

Are there emissions standards that apply to trains as there are to road vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

True, but some notable engine companies have phased out two-strokes (even petrols) because of pollution (it's easier to make a clean 4-stroke), with other makers heading the same way.

Are there emissions standards that apply to trains as there are to road vehicles?

I doubt there are, due to the small volumes of locos. Where you have millions of cars the small amounts of pollutants multiply. While a loco might belch out smoke, there are very few of them.

I'd reckon any movement toward fuel efficiency is done for economic reasons rather than environmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The EMD 645 and 710 series (071 class and 201 class) are indeed two stroke, but remanufactured 645s and new 710s (as in the MotivePower MP36 and MP40 commuter locos) are certified as US EPA Tier 2. They aren't lawnmower engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I doubt there are, due to the small volumes of locos. Where you have millions of cars the small amounts of pollutants multiply. While a loco might belch out smoke, there are very few of them.

I'd reckon any movement toward fuel efficiency is done for economic reasons rather than environmental.

2 stroke petrol engines which run on a petrol/oil mix are definitely polluters as can be seen by their smoky exhausts. This is due to incomplete combustion of the lubricating oil. 2 stroke and 4 stroke diesel engine lubrication is seperate from the fuel injection system and with timely maintenance procedures there really should be no visible signs of incomplete combustion of fuel, as in smoky exhausts, particularly when under load. Manufacturers do issue Nox emission specs for their engines.

there really should be no visible signs of incomplete combustion of fuel, as in smoky exhausts,
    There are always going to be emissions issues with diesel in compression ignition engines, and treatment of exhaust is the only solution. In cars Diesel Particulate Filters, Adblue and even exhaust plasma reactors are all used to varying degrees of success.

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    The EMD 645 and 710 series (071 class and 201 class) are indeed two stroke, but remanufactured 645s and new 710s (as in the MotivePower MP36 and MP40 commuter locos) are certified as US EPA Tier 2. They aren't lawnmower engines.

Tier 2, as applied to locomotives is not the same as Tier 2 for cars. Tiers 0-2 do not require exhaust treatment, which is a bad sign.

Lots of good info here:
    http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/loco.php

Advertisement