Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

In memory of Gerry Ryan. Dedicated to his family, and friends

Forever in our Hearts

A million times we needed you,
    A million times we cried,
    If love alone would have saved you,
    You would of never died.

In life we loved you dearly,
    In death we love you still,
    In our hearts you hold a place,
    No one can ever fill.

A light from our household is gone,
    A voice from our love is stilled,
    A place in our vacant home,
    Which never can be filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Shocking news.
    Wasn't his biggest fan but what the f*** does that matter.

The man shouldn't be dead at his age. Rest in peace Gerry. Thoughts go out to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

Very sad news.
    My Condolences to his family

RIP Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gerry was usually on air from what 9-12 each day so I would imagine he should have been in work for 7 or 8 at the latest. I'm sure his family were well aware by 2.30pm today.

RIP Big Man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

R.I.P. G.Ryan.

Whoever posted the sick comments in this thread should be banned for a few months to teach them a lesson. Its times like these when we really see the bad side to AH posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Cant say i was a big fan since that RTE pay-cut incident but still - very young to die. And I did listen to him often enough on 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Apparently he died at 1pm today? I don't quite think so - how come he didn't show up for work then? And there's that poster who said his niece got a text at 12:30 today...strange one. Not that it matters when he went I suppose, the end result is the same.

RIP Gerry, I don't remember what I rang into your show for when I was 14, but I know it was p*ssing me off big time - good old teenage angst perhaps. I still remember it these years later, my 4 minutes of fame. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

OutlawPete wrote: »
    "Gardai are investigating the circumstances of his death.."

That sounds odd.

Wasn't in Clontarf, was his Apartment in Leeson St.

Standard procedure for someone found like that doesn't mean they think there is anything suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I'm actually so sad :( Only 53, way too young for anyone to die. Has a family that are truly devastated now and my thoughts are with them. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Fifty three is far too young for anyone to die.
    He was a huge part of Irish broadcasting and like him or loathe him, the man made a huge impact on Irish media.
    Radio won't be the same without him.

R.I.P and God bless his family, friends and fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Biggins wrote: »
    No idea myself but perhaps now and here is not the place for it to be discussed?

I would disagree, if you are to discuss his life and impact on people, then it can be discussed.

There is no need to be disrespectful about him, of his achievements but discussion should not be smothered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Mr Cowen said the popular Gerry Ryan Show on 2FM was compulsive listening for hundreds of thousands of people.

"As a broadcaster, Gerry Ryan was both informed and intelligent, forthright and articulate," he said.
    "As a man, he was generous, famously irreverent and witty.
    "I had the pleasure of meeting him many times, both in front of and away from the microphone.
    "He was always engaging company and a man of considerable charm.
    "He will be hugely missed by all those who had the good fortune to know him."
    Mr Cowen also extended his sympathies to Ryan's family and friends.

Green Party leader and Environment Minister John Gormley said Ryan will be greatly missed, as a broadcaster, DJ and familiar voice to thousands of listeners every morning.
    "His ability as a broadcaster to take both the serious and light-hearted stories was second to none," he said.
    "His good humour concealed a keen intellect and a commitment to straight journalism - he was a fair and accurate commentator.
    "His death is a tragic loss for the viewers and listeners of Ireland."

RTE Radio One broadcaster Derek Mooney made a brief statement during his afternoon programme passing on condolences from colleagues to Ryan's family and friends.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen said he was deeply saddened to learn of Ryan's death.

"Gerry was a household name and a broadcaster of immense talent and popularity," he said.
    "His legion of fans will all be greatly shocked to hear this sad news.
    "He was one of the greats of modern Irish broadcasting on radio and television."

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/taoiseach-leads-tributes-to-gerry-ryan-2160463.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

You didn't need to post it though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

the tasteless jokes are just retarded, lay off like! RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Lord have mercy on him.

I was not a fan, can't say I am shocked as he was overweight and lived a life not conducive to good health.

Sad for his family and friends, I was with a relation when he was told and I heard him saying dead, heart attack and no offense intended but I thought someone I had known had died.

I know there is shock in RTE and maybe a bit inappropriate that Olivia O'Leary started off by saying he was 'larger than life'......maybe that was the problem, hopefully nothing more than bad health as the Gardai are looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apparently he died at 1pm today? I don't quite think so - how come he didn't show up for work then? And there's that poster who said his niece got a text at 12:30 today...strange one. Not that it matters when he went I suppose, the end result is the same.
    Well it might not have been a sudden death. He could have been in critical condition for hours before his Time of Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Please stop quoting trolls, it is making things more difficult than they should be.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by Biggins
    No idea myself but perhaps now and here is not the place for it to be discussed?
    I would disagree, if you are to discuss his life and impact on people, then it can be discussed.
    There is no need to be disrespectful about him, of his achievements but discussion should not be smothered
    True but time and place, time and place. Thats all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Some people must think themselves and their families are immune to death.

I don't understand the cruelty of some people. He was one of our own, and he'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mise_mise

I was never a big fan of the man years ago, however I learned to appreciate his views on everything and in his role, he performed it greatly... I'll sadly miss my summer listening... Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilís...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Dav, this is way off topic but can you explain the BOLD bit.

How would you help the HSE out? the only thing I can think of is that you would divulge contact details, of the poster. This worries me

The Data Protection Act is in play so we can't give anyone's details out. However, as per Irish law, if we get a section 8 request from the Gardaí or a Court, then we have to comply with it. Until we see that though, we wouldn't be giving any information to anyone and no one has made any contact with us about this.

Seriously, how is this relevant though? This is the way Boards works and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I mentioned this specifically so that people would drop the topic, it's not relevant to this thread. Can we drop this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Min wrote: »
    Lord have mercy on him.

I was not a fan, can't say I am shocked as he was overweight and lived a life not conducive to good health.

Sad for his family and friends, I was with a relation when he was told and I heard him saying dead, heart attack and no offense intended but I thought someone I had known had died.

I know there is shock in RTE and maybe a bit inappropriate that Olivia O'Leary started off by saying he was 'larger than life'......maybe that was the problem, hopefully nothing more than bad health as the Gardai are looking into it.

Jesus. Ya know what she meant.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

This thread and all Gerry Ryan related threads should be locked until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Threads like this shouldn't be allowed on AH. Everyone always acts high and mighty on AH but when a thread like this is started their true side shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RIP Gerry

Condolances to your family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

So sorry for the five young aduls who recieved news of the sudden death of their father today.
    What was broadcast from9-12 tody on 2fm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭xcarriex

<snip by biko>
    22 years the Gerry Ryan Show was on, Thats 1 year younger than me, and my mother listened everyday intently, she knows him just as long as she has known me, i think the fact that people tuned into his shows for so many years, does entitle them to express there opinion, every week i went to nans her and mam would have a talk about it, my nan always gave out about him, but she still listened... He'll be missed x

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Notorious wrote: »
    Nice and tasteless. Well done J.

Why do a lot of people see this as tasteless? I think it's incredibly somber, and a fitting one-line tribute myself.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Well it might not have been a sudden death. He could have been in critical condition for hours before his Time of Death.

That's very true, I completely overlooked that. I guess I prefer to think it was quick, no matter who the person is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

RIP Gerry:( Perhaps people with nothing respectful or nice to say should just refrain from posting. Does make you feel better by saying crap like that? No? Then just keep it to yourself. Crap like that makes me hate the internet

Er...isnt your user name a reference to a famous case in Australia where a child was killed? (Hypocrisy much?)

RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement