Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Election Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

owenc wrote: »
    How would it we don't care what happens in europe we are an island off it!!! The uk is sooo different to europe.. ireland MAY be more like it but the uk is nowhere near like it!!! no thanks... why do you want to be in it anyway .. its crap!!! oh god i hate that place!!!:mad::mad: Sorry but i don't know about you but i don't want multiple foreign countries controlling my country!

If you knew how the EU works, you'd realise that's not the case at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Sulmac wrote: »
    If you knew how the EU works, you'd realise that's not the case at all.

I DON'T CARE, i want to be a country that can be ruled by itself not by some other country that is foreign to me, its like the people over the border they don't want to be ruled by the uk etc... i mean the uk can survive without the european union, we don't need it, we are not like europeans!!! aww god forget about it you won't listen your just going to keep saying its better!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I DON'T CARE, i want to be a country that can be ruled by itself not by some other country that is foreign to me, its like the people over the border they don't want to be ruled by the uk etc... i mean the uk can survive without the european union, we don't need it, we are not like europeans!!! aww god forget about it you won't listen your just going to keep saying its better!

We're all Europeans whether we like it or not. If Britain wants to survive in this world, it has to give up sitting on the fence, and throw in its lot with the rest of us. Britain should keep up with the programme and finally realise that the Empire has been dead and buried for decades.

Unfortunately, if the Tories get back in, they'll keep Britain even further in the background, because they won't commit themselves 100% to Europe. It's ironic that Tory Ted Heath took Britain into the European Community in the first place, and the Tories have been fighting amongst themselves over Europe ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I DON'T CARE, i want to be a country that can be ruled by itself not by some other country that is foreign to me,

Like Northern Ireland being governed by Island off the coast of it?

If you think its beneficial for NI to be part of a bigger entity (the UK) surely you can see how it is beneficial for the UK to be part of the EU? If your position is the NI should be in the UK, but UK should not be in the EU, then your position is completely inconsistent.

Nationalists believe in the rights of country to be free and independent. Are you a nationalist? I seem to remember than you are intact a Unionist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ireland has always been ruled - be it by the British, Rome or Washington. We're a lot freer with the EU than without.

• Advertisement

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Like Northern Ireland being governed by Island off the coast of it?

If you think its beneficial for NI to be part of a bigger entity (the UK) surely you can see how it is beneficial for the UK to be part of the EU? If your position is the NI should be in the UK, but UK should not be in the EU, then your position is completely inconsistent.

Nationalists believe in the rights of country to be free and independent. Are you a nationalist? I seem to remember than you are intact a Unionist.

How is unionism anything to do with that!! I was Judy isingnationalists as an example as how I feel over the eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Victor wrote: »
    He ruled Brown out.

I thought he ruled out Brown being PM if Labour came third?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Page 67:

They've said they'd campaign for a "yes" vote.

I'm pretty sure they mean they want a referendum on any further large EU treaties, much like Ireland with Lisbon. They don't want a referendum on pulling out of the EU - none of the parties will put it to a referendum, largely because they would be afraid it would pass.

I've never really followed the UK's election system until recently, but it really is absurdly unfair and unrepresentative.

How is unionism anything to do with that!! I was Judy isingnationalists as an example as how I feel over the eu.

:confused:

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they mean they want a referendum on any further large EU treaties, much like Ireland with Lisbon. They don't want a referendum on pulling out of the EU - none of the parties will put it to a referendum, largely because they would be afraid it would pass.

I've never really followed the UK's election system until recently, but it really is absurdly unfair and unrepresentative.

Well at least we can actually vote for our primeminster?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well at least we can actually vote for our primeminster?!

You don't now, nor have you ever, voted for your prime minister.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You don't now, nor have you ever, voted for your prime minister.

How do you know! :P My parents did!:P:P

How do you know! :P My parents did!:P:P

Only if they lived in the Prime Minister's constituency.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Only if they lived in the Prime Minister's constituency.

WHAT!? We can vote for the conservatives!:P I can just get my sister over in scotland to vote for the labour if we wanted them to be the head of the country anyway!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

WHAT!? We can vote for the conservatives!:P I can just get my sister over in scotland to vote for the labour if we wanted them to be the head of the country anyway!:P

The British Prime Minister is not elected by the people (other than those in his/her constituency); he/she is elected by MPs (almost always their own party's MPs if they have a majority) in the House of Commons after the MPs themselves are elected in a general election. This is the same in any parliamentary system - Ireland included.

It's an indirect election, not like the French President who is directly elected.

Israel tried having a directly elected Prime Minister for a few years - it didn't work out.

The British Prime Minister is not elected by the people (other than those in his/her constituency); he/she is elected by MPs (almost always their own party's MPs if they have a majority) in the House of Commons after the MPs themselves are elected in a general election. This is the same in any parliamentary system - Ireland included.

It's an indirect election, not like the French President who is directly elected.

Israel tried having a directly elected Prime Minister for a few years - it didn't work out.

Well then how do they pick someone if the whole country can't vote for the same people... only one wee area will get to decide for that particular person.. they should just be doing it for one person per party... im trying to understand this through are history teacher.. she keeps bringing this up through the thing we are learning now which really has nothing to do with this!! Its kinda worthless for her as no one in our class knows what shes talking about and they will just vote for who their parents say!

Its kinda worthless for her as no one in our class knows what shes talking about and they will just vote for who their parents say!

:(

Well then how do they pick someone if the whole country can't vote for the same people... only one wee area will get to decide for that particular person.. they should just be doing it for one person per party... im trying to understand this through are history teacher.. she keeps bringing this up through the thing we are learning now which really has nothing to do with this!! Its kinda worthless for her as no one in our class knows what shes talking about and they will just vote for who their parents say!

Are there any good teachers in your school?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are there any good teachers in your school?

Yes its called a grammar school!!!

That doesn't necessarily guarantee quality...

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    That doesn't necessarily guarantee quality...

Well we are placed 100th and something in the uk.. Last year we were actually placed below 100. Not telling you as someone will likely go and research it and find out what school i am in!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

That's how Ireland does it but not the UK, the British Prime Minister is not elected at all.
    The Queen decides who will be prime minister, depending on protocol.
    This is how come Tony Blair was able to be come PM the day after the election in 1997.

If one party gets an overall majority of MPs, the Queen appoints the Leader of the Winning party as PM.
    If nobody gets an overall majority, the incumbent PM is given a chance to put together a coalition, if he/she can't do it, the Queen offers the PM role to the leader of the (next) largest party in the Commons.

:pac:

Well we are placed 100th and something in the uk.. Last year we were actually placed below 100. Not telling you as someone will likely go and research it and find out what school i am in!

I don't think people are that stalkerish here... at least, I hope they're not!

So, let me get it straight - you don't wish to be part of the European Union but you're alright with the United Kingdom? :confused:

old hippy wrote: »
    I don't think people are that stalkerish here... at least, I hope they're not!

So, let me get it straight - you don't wish to be part of the European Union but you're alright with the United Kingdom? :confused:

Yes because i live there!:rolleyes: The uk is so much better in so many ways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is such a thread fail (as the kids say) as Owen is quite clearly rather young I won't be too harsh.

mike65 wrote: »
    This is such a thread fail (as the kids say) as Owen is quiet clearly rather young I won't be too harsh.

Well at least something is being discussed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What, how you don't elect a Prime Minister?

Yes because i live there!:rolleyes: The uk is so much better in so many ways!

Ok, given your tender age (and sorry for being patronising) can I assume you've not spent time in other countries?

Because, trust me, it's a big and beautiful world out there :)

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    This is such a thread fail (as the kids say) as Owen is quite clearly rather young I won't be too harsh.

We could call him Grasshopper and teach him to walk on the rice-paper without making a noise? He might then be able to broaden his teachers' horizons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement