Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel prices - Getting me down...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

mooman wrote: »
    USA- €0.55/litre, I know where I'm headed:D

And the Americans are complaining about that price.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Simon Jester

Iran €0.10 per L

See ya;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Iran €0.10 per L

See ya;)

No beer in Iran, and no Hooters either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They are the problem in the first place, just waste fuel without thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Seweryn wrote: »
    I think that fossil fuels are still very cheap. Just think outside the box... A galon of fuel alows you to travel 50km in a comfortable car. Just imagine if you have to push that car for that distance - it would be equivalent of about 2 months of human labour. And what do you pay for it? 5 Euro? There is no country in the world where you get 2 months of labour for that money. We all forget how the fossil fuels changed our lives...
    Anyway, oil prices will only go one way from now (with small seasonal fluctuations) and we should be prepared for it.

:confused:
    why would u push ur car to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

robbie1977 wrote: »
    :confused:
    why would u push ur car to work.
    I wouldn't. I am just trying to explain how huge amount of energy condensed in liquid fuels we get for so tiny amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

galwaytt wrote: »
    Now, a diesel bike, that would be interesting !
    Enfield India once produced the Taurus Diesel, believe it was a Robin 325cc industrial single cylinder fitted. At only slightly over 6hp with max speed of 50mph it couldn't pull it self out of a wet paper bag but could do well in excess of 100 MPG.

Until such time as the Japs come up with a fuel injected turbo multi I will not have any faith or interest in diesel motorbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Spent time in France recently, unleaded was often 1.50+ per litre, no wonder the diesel is king over there.

Once in the middle east added 97 litres of "benzine" to the tank, handed over a Dollar and got change... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Until such time as the Japs come up with a fuel injected turbo multi I will not have any faith or interest in diesel motorbikes.

There is some incredible prototype/research diesel stuff going on at the moment in Europe (diesel design HQ BTW). Petrol engines will be a thing of the past within 15 years IMHO, that includes bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fishtits wrote: »
    There is some incredible prototype/research diesel stuff going on at the moment in Europe (diesel design HQ BTW). Petrol engines will be a thing of the past within 15 years IMHO, that includes bikes.

They would want to and the sooner the better. A set of Iridium plugs costs about e50 for my Gixr 750. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised to hear how economical bikes are not. I knew a guy years ago who said he could do Dundalk to Waterford on one tank... maybe he was b.s.ing.

Easy. :D
    And I would get half way back.

Last Saturday I got 238 miles* (385 km) and when I filled up, I only managed to get 18.5 liters into the tank.

* and I was not conservative with the throttle - rev counter saw the wrong side of 8K for most of the 238 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

They are the problem in the first place, just waste fuel without thinking

I'd rather be part of the problem than picking up their tab:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised to hear how economical bikes are not. I knew a guy years ago who said he could do Dundalk to Waterford on one tank... maybe he was b.s.ing.

To be fair, some of the Honda's 125 out there (4 stroke) will get about 100mpg for commuting. My 60 mpg, is the worst of the city driving start/stop, also the bike is an automatic (this makes some bikers vomit at the thoughts) so the CVT doesn't help economy.

From my own limited experience with bikes, they will rev higher that a car at the same speed. For example at 120km/hr my 400cc will being doing about 6K RPM, my car will be doing about 2.3K RPM - i.e. working a lot less. If you take the driving style and some of the performance bikes, spinning the engine to 10K is going to drink fuel no matter what.

As for diesel bikes, this was tried before and the additional weight, delivery of power, etc really went against the whole notion of a bike. The next step for motorbike (as Honda have it) is the hybrid electric types. I believe that Honda are on the verge of releasing their first one in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

current average usa price per US gallon unleaded is $3.30 including sales tax - gasbuddy.com

a us gallon has 3.8 litres

rate of exchange 1.32

euro price per litre = 66c

a lot cheaper than here, but then if you have a crash & have to go to hospital in the usa.....be prepared to pay thousands of dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Iran €0.10 per L

See ya;)

Pfft. Venezuela €0.03 per L. And at least there's drink & girls over there

Advertisement