Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel prices - Getting me down...

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I am in the position where

1) I must have a car because no public transport that is suitable goes to my place of work.
    2) Can't afford an eco car or a decent diesel car.
    3) Each week I am shelling out 65+ euros now to fill up.

Since oil is nowhere near the 140$ mark and we are already paying the same amount as we were when it was at its peak what the hell is going to happen when an economic recovery happens in the rest of the world. The dollar strength against euro is meaning I can see the prices hitting 1.50 a litre very shortly.

I didn't mind paying the exta levy on fuel when the price was 1.10 mark but this is becoming ridiculous!!!

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm, the best you can do is learn to be ultra economical in your driving style smooth both gaining and shedding speed, read the road so braking is hardly required, change gear at the optimum engine speed and so on (and clear the boot out!).

There is no way prices will drop again as far as I can see. This is it. :(

You'd get a decent diesel for €3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

RoverJames wrote: »
    You'd get a decent diesel for €3000.

What would you recommend?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Fuel prices ......

Oil might be cheaper than they were at their peak but the US$ got stronger compared to those days. And oil is payed in US$
    And if we take away the 13 cent (8c budget april 2009 + 5c carbon tax of budget dec 2009) you would pay around €1,20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

From what I've heard the Government takes 69% of the cost of a Litre of Petrol at the pumps in tax...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmmm, the best you can do is learn to be ultra economical in your driving style smooth both gaining and shedding speed, read the road so braking is hardly required, change gear at the optimum engine speed and so on (and clear the boot out!).

There is no way prices will drop again as far as I can see. This is it. :(

Driving becomes like a chore. Since I have aquired my first two penalty points I do intend on being more careful with my speed. No more 85phh in 60 kph zones etc.

I think motorists are shafted. High fuel prices, high road tax, sh*t roads, sh*t public transport outside of dublin. If there was another choice I would take it........

Xcellor wrote: »
    What would you recommend?

406HDi
    307HDi
    Rover 75
    Rover 45
    Xantia or C5

:)

All cheap and all do over 40mpg easy, over 50mpg on a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Another choice? Emigrate :(

A cheap diesel car or van might be an option. Work out your fuel economy and see if a diesel will save you much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you are driving on open roads then there is scope for saving fuel by driving more slowly. I have already reduced my "target" speed on N roads from an indicated 110 km/h to an indicated 100 km/h. Makes a difference. I'm now getting 44 mpg average from my petrol Laguna

Also as already stated, concentrate on reading the road, maintaining momentum without braking, taking advantage of downhill stretches etc. For instance if you are driving down a hill with a bend at the bottom of it, try lifting completely off the throttle at the top of the hill, you'll use little or no fuel on the descent and may not have to brake for the bend. This will save fuel compared to leaving your foot on the throttle, gaining too much speed on the descent and then having to brake for the bend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Get a motorbike. 120 mpg isn't unheard of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

...... sh*t public transport outside of dublin. ........

It is not exactly fabulous in Dublin either.
    Recently i started to go to work by car, in the past i had a bus connection that i considered decent enough.

Well, the money i spent on fuel now for the trip to work and back home is exactly the same as what i was paying for the bus.
    Only difference is that i now leave 20 minutes later and am home 30 minutes faster. And this is on a 10km trip.
    Also i can now get to work and back home in a proper manner and time on irish bank holidays when i have to work.
    Being able to do my shopping there where the offers are in stead of in the local Spar.

Of course i had to buy the car, get insurance and motor tax but apart from that i can honestly say i have more money left at the end of the month than when i did not have a car. And it is more than the €100 a month insurance and motor tax cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I just bought a Corsa diesel a few weeks ago, and I'm averaging around 45mpg. And thats not driving economically at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

celticbest wrote: »
    From what I've heard the Government takes 69% of the cost of a Litre of Petrol at the pumps in tax...!!
    Last I heard it was €14 out of every €20 put in...

inforfun wrote: »
    It is not exactly fabulous in Dublin either.
    Sure it is! you just have to live in "Out of service", you'll never miss a bus...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Last I heard it was €14 out of every €20 put in...:

Which is 70%, so you're both pretty much right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

3) Each week I am shelling out 65+ euros now to fill up.

I filled my Diesel yesterday, around 125c per litre, €61 to fill. Have to fill every week....

Fuel prices are disgraceful. The carbon tax should be dropped as it looks like we will meet our target without having to purchase anymore credits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

JHMEG wrote: »

Yep, I've a 400cc and I'm getting around 60mpg on city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

eoin wrote: »
    Which is 70%, so you're both pretty much right!

:eek: The Bstards Take Take all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

Is cycling an option? I often cycle (Athenry to Galway),

Good for you
    Very Cheap
    Bike to work scheme
    You're never late
    You get fit
    No penalty points
    Runs on bananas

jayok wrote: »
    Yep, I've a 400cc and I'm getting around 60mpg on city driving.

Hmm, I would have thought more... that's not far off what my car gets (52). I knew a lad on quite a long commute, said he was getting 120mpg out of his 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ordinarily, and as a daily bike rider, I'd applaud this. But there hasn't been a bike of that ability for many years.

Unless you buy an Enfield (India), you won't get close. The race to big power, just like in diesel cars, means that you can't have all the gain with no pain.

My 1450 Harley does about 40mpg. My Aprilia 500 scooter, about 46mpg. My wife's old BeeEmm F650 would regularly do 65 - 70mpg. My Vespa might - might, do.......70mpg. Maybe.

Japanese commuters might do 50's, and sportsbikes and big tourers are now in the 30's.

My Suzuki RGV250 does 25mpg. :eek:

Plus ca change, and all that.

Now, a diesel bike, that would be interesting !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

dnme wrote: »
    OP

Is cycling an option? I often cycle (Athenry to Galway),

Good for you
    Very Cheap
    Bike to work scheme
    You're never late
    You get fit
    No penalty points
    Runs on bananas

You cycle Athenry to Galway everyday, rain and shine ?? :eek: Holy Schweppes.......what route do you take ?

..in which case.....

Good for you - Yep
    Very Cheap - Can be
    Bike to work scheme - mmmm, dont' get me started....
    You're never late - ah now, come on, pull the other one.....
    You get fit - indeed
    No penalty points - only if you obey the Rules....
    Runs on bananas - as disctinct from Peanuts ?
    :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Fuel prices are disgraceful.
    I think that fossil fuels are still very cheap. Just think outside the box... A galon of fuel alows you to travel 50km in a comfortable car. Just imagine if you have to push that car for that distance - it would be equivalent of about 2 months of human labour. And what do you pay for it? 5 Euro? There is no country in the world where you get 2 months of labour for that money. We all forget how the fossil fuels changed our lives...
    Anyway, oil prices will only go one way from now (with small seasonal fluctuations) and we should be prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

galwaytt wrote: »
    You cycle Athenry to Galway everyday, rain and shine ?? :eek: Holy Schweppes.......what route do you take ?

..in which case.....

Good for you - Yep
    Very Cheap - Can be
    Bike to work scheme - mmmm, dont' get me started....
    You're never late - ah now, come on, pull the other one.....
    You get fit - indeed
    No penalty points - only if you obey the Rules....
    Runs on bananas - as disctinct from Peanuts ?
    :D

Monivea road. I dont do it everyday, if its fine and I feel like it, it sure does subsidise my travel expenses.

By "Never late" what I mean is that I know exactly how long my journey time will be, I am not going to get stuck in traffic jams, or school runs, or lane closures etc.

Its a 30 mile round trip, but if I lived a bit closer, say within 7-8 miles of a destination, I would cycle all the time. Rain is not an issue these days as decent cycle gear is waterproof and breathable etc. Also have waterproof panniers for bringing stuff like laptop, papers, clothes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Driving becomes like a chore. Since I have aquired my first two penalty points I do intend on being more careful with my speed. No more 85phh in 60 kph zones etc.

Doesn't sound like you are/were driving very economically to begin with!

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ordinarily, and as a daily bike rider, I'd applaud this. But there hasn't been a bike of that ability for many years.
    I'm genuinely surprised to hear how economical bikes are not. I knew a guy years ago who said he could do Dundalk to Waterford on one tank... maybe he was b.s.ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

look at the Audi A2 1.4 diesel.. amazing MPG figures

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hmm, I would have thought more... that's not far off what my car gets (52). I knew a lad on quite a long commute, said he was getting 120mpg out of his 125.
    yeah, but how much was he spending on two stroke oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm genuinely surprised to hear how economical bikes are not. I knew a guy years ago who said he could do Dundalk to Waterford on one tank... maybe he was b.s.ing.

I used to get 200 kilometres from less than 7 pounds worth of petrol (at about 95p a litre) on an FZR 250. (it didn't have a petrol guage so I used the trip meter, reset it everytime I filled up and when it got to 200 kilometres i knew I had to re-fuel

Worked out at about 80mpg (and I wasn't driving anywhere near as economically as i could)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Another choice? Emigrate :(

I guess these countries aren't an option then...

Belgium -141.2
    Finland -144.1
    Germany -143.5
    Greece -143.1
    Netherlands-157.3
    Italy -138.9
    France -139.0
    Portugal -133.6

I suppose you could move to one of these...

Austria -122.4
    Luxembourg-118.2
    Spain -118.0 (and accept low wages)
    Slovenia -120.4 (and accept low wages)

Personally, if I was able to get petrol at 1.25-1.30 per litre, I'd be pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

deman wrote: »
    I guess these countries aren't an option then...

Belgium -141.2
    Finland -144.1
    Germany -143.5
    Greece -143.1
    Netherlands-157.3
    Italy -138.9
    France -139.0
    Portugal -133.6

I suppose you could move to one of these...

Austria -122.4
    Luxembourg-118.2
    Spain -118.0 (and accept low wages)
    Slovenia -120.4 (and accept low wages)

Personally, if I was able to get petrol at 1.25-1.30 per litre, I'd be pleased.

USA- €0.55/litre, I know where I'm headed:D

Advertisement