Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

The thing with shopify and I may be wrong is that while it can serve as an excellent entry point it can take away a lot of control of your site. I have never dealt with the backend either so I don't know much about it's sales reports and shipping etc functionality. I would say though that shopify is low risk, a 30 day free trial and after x amount per month. However you have to factor shopify and paypal fees etc so I would review it a wee bit more. I would also recommend, based on what you said above ^^^^, Open Cart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mcnallg

Zascar you mentioned www.elance.com on your similar link, just had a look there and think this could be a pretty good alternative all things considered.

So you post the project you want done, pay these guys the rate p/h (most are incredibly reasonable) and they look after the rest? Do they deliver a completed website from scratch and then all you need to do is find a webhost and know how to edit it? Would this be accurate in Lehman's terms?

Please feel free to poke holes in my ignorance!! Thanks guys

mcnallg wrote: »
    Zascar you mentioned www.elance.com on your similar link, just had a look there and think this could be a pretty good alternative all things considered.

So you post the project you want done, pay these guys the rate p/h (most are incredibly reasonable) and they look after the rest? Do they deliver a completed website from scratch and then all you need to do is find a webhost and know how to edit it? Would this be accurate in Lehman's terms?

Please feel free to poke holes in my ignorance!! Thanks guys
    Another one is odesk.com

In Lehman's terms you post a project you want completed and the provider completes the project.

However you have to be very careful. You would need a full accurate spec of your requirements and you have to shortlist and interview accordingly. I know will sound mean, and not as intended, but in projects like this communication is vital and communication has to be articulated both ways clearly correctly. That is IMO one of the greatest minus points to sites like these, you may hire a very competent developer but not relay your exact requirements that well and the provider will misinterpret the incorrect requirements and develop something difference. You just have to be very wary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

macnallg, my experience with outsourcing to services like this, is that you need to define exactly what you want. There is often a language barrier that can complicate things as well. If you post up vague requirements, then there's a good chance you'll get a vague interpretation of what you asked for. Again, this is my personal experience, but I think remote outsourcing like this generally works best when it's a person with a techie background that has converted the business requirements into technical ones.

Your requirements seem pretty simple - any off-the-shelf eCommerce store will do what you're looking for. But as I posted earlier, you'll have to look after the maintenance of the site - applying security patches and so on. Some of them are inherently insecure and need constant monitoring. I've seen OSCommerce and Zencart sites have malicious files being added to them in a matter of days of being installed, and that's before they were even marketed at all.

Even if you got someone to install a site, install the patches, modify and install a template - this could still work out more than the cost of trying out a hosted solution where you don't have to worry about any backend stuff, other than fulfilling orders and looking after your own content.

As you can see from this page, Shopify offer a selection of free templates, so you can get something that's somewhat customised pretty easily.

Excellent post Eoin :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maxiproxy

At no point is the OP asking people to do the web design for free.

He is mearly asking what people recommend in the way of free CMS/shopping carts/templates.

A perfectly valid request IMO.

it usually comes with most of the hosting packages, and good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mcnallg

Anyone know if its straightfoward to use a .ie domain with shopify?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

From their FAQ
    Can I use my own domain name with my shop?

Yes! This can be a great way to help Shopify integrate with an existing site. Just get your domain registrar to point your domain to our servers, and your customers will enjoy a seamless integration between your main site and your online store.

Advertisement