Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Crossing website www.bookcrossing.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's "Shit My Dad Says" - very funny book. TV show is good too with the legendary William Shatner as the dad.

Thanks for that info. about the TV show, I'd love to see it! William Shatner - legend!

I used to follow this guy on Twitter, it was very funny. So I'm looking forward to finally reading the book.

Just to remind everyone about the meeting tomorrow night:

Book Crossing meetings:

Dublin, Ireland meetup - Tuesday 17th May 2011

On Tuesday 17th May you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

Look for the table piled with books. We will be in the snug to one side of the bar. Keep following the bar around until you hit us, or ask a member of staff who will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Food is available until 9pm if you fancy a bite.

The Book of the Month for that meeting is “The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells

Just to remind everyone about the next day time meeting:

Day time meeting:

Saturday 4th June at 12 midday

Brook Hotel, Drury St. Dublin 2.

The Books of the Month are:

"For Esme With Love & Squalor" by J.D. Salinger (held over from last meeting)
    "**** My Father says" by Justin Halpern

^^^^Sorry, it's happened again. I'm not allowed post the proper title of that book. Please see earlier posts for details of the book. I'll try to amend it later.

All boardsies are especially welcome. I'll make sure you get a free book.

I’m very impressed with the attendance of boardsies at the recent Book Crossing meetings, so keep up the good work!

Somewhere nice in Dublin city for you to read your book!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056292104

On Tuesday 21st June you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

Look for the table piled with books. We will be in the snug to one side of the bar. Keep following the bar around until you hit us, or ask a member of staff who will be happy to point you in the right direction.

The Book of the Month is “The Elegance of the Hedgehog” by Muriel Barbery.

Hoping to see more boardsies there, you are so very welcome. Join the crew of boardsies who are Book Crossers also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I would love to be able to things like this! I'm down in the South East and it's my mother's birthday that day!! Grr... :mad: I need to start making proper travel arrangements so I'm not missing events!

We'd love to see you! Do drop by if you're ever passing through Dublin. We have members all over the country, so there may be a few Book Crossers down your way.

If you feel like meeting the Dublin Book Crossers anyway, do send me a pm and we'll make arrangements.

On Tuesday 21st June you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

The Book of the Month is “The Elegance of the Hedgehog” by Muriel Barbery.

Hoping to see more boardsies there, you are so very welcome. Join the crew of boardsies who are Book Crossers also!
    Just a reminder about the meeting on Tuesday.

I just finished the Book of The Month, very moving. I wasn't expecting that ending!

Hope to see you on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I'm slowly making my way through the book. I'm not overly impressed so far but I'll plough on! Hopefully I'll have it read by Tuesday!

See you all later!

• Advertisement

On Tuesday 19th July you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

The Book of the Month is “The Hare With Amber Eyes" by Edmund de Waal.

Just to let you know that we recently registered a lot (!) of books at Accents Coffee and Tea Lounge so if you need a book, pop along there!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72643212

http://accentslounge.wordpress.com/

Note:
    The Book Crossing meet ups are very sociable gatherings. There is plenty of discussion - about books, politics, world affairs, anything. We really like meeting new members and they will be made very welcome. There are plenty of summer outings arranged - for example we are travelling up to Belfast on 23/7 to visit other Book Crossers there. If you want any more info. about this or any of the other social activities, please pm me.

If you only seriously want to talk about the books, then this might not be the book club for you. The Book Crossing meet ups are great fun, where you always have something in common with the other members - books. We have also branched out and some members are now in film clubs, wine and whiskey clubs. There are loads of opportunities for social activities/cultural outings etc. As you may be aware, there are also opportunities to travel abroad to the conventions. The BC convention is in Dublin next April 2012.

You can be a virtual member and discuss books on the forums, if you don't want to meet up in person.

Hope to see you there!

Just a reminder about the meeting later.....

See you there! :D

On Tuesday 16th August you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

The Book of the Month is A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Damn - is this tomorrow? Not sure if I can make it. I thought it was next week!

It's OK, I get confused too about the date. apparently the meetings are held in the week of the 20th. I always have to check the date each month.

You can check the date on the website www.bookcrossing.com under the Conventions/Meetings forum.

Alternatively contact the Book Crosser kiwiinengland, as she is the expert on setting the date for the meeting.

Sure if we don't see you later, we might catch up with you at the next meeting.

Other boardsies are particularly welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KazM

Is there a group meeting in Cork? Checked the BC site and cannot find anything listed :(

Hi,

There are a few active members in Cork. However, they don't have a regular meeting. I'll pm you with the member's details.

You are also very welcome to catch up with us here in Dublin. The Dublin meet up is the most active one at the moment, usually about 8 - 12 members or more meet up in the Longstone.

Even if you can't make the meetups, do please join up and you can get access to the Yahoo group. It's a good idea to post a message on the Introductions forum on the Book Crossing website too.

We hope to talk to you soon!

On Tuesday 20th September you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

The Book of the Month is:
    Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha
    by Roddy Doyle

• Advertisement

Book Crossing labels:

I just received the link to free Book Crossing labels:

http://www.wanderingword.com/bookcrossing/genres/

You can also buy labels from the Book Crossing site, and the postage rates have recently reduced (to $5 I believe):

http://secure.bookcrossing.com/

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

I saw this article on The Huffington Post and I think it gets to the heart of bookcrossing. If you are wavering about whether to release books, read this article!
    The Ache Of Book Abandonment

When I was just out of college, I worked for three years in book publishing, in New York City. Because the starting wage was usually enough to cover your rent and groceries, but never enough, for happy-hour beers, many of us assistants ran a supplemental racket for extra dough.
    We would secretly hoard copies of the new books that were constantly arriving at the office. These were books that were not yet in stores. I kept my stash hidden in an old black duffle bag under my desk. When we had a decent enough pile amassed, we'd pick an evening and lug our loot down to the Strand, that iconic secondhand book bazaar in The Village.

We'd empty our sacks on to the buy-back counter and watch expectantly as some bookish, harried employee would rifle through the pages with disdain and lowball us on most everything we presented. Every once in a while you'd get a nice surprise -- ten bucks for a first edition by this writer or that, 15 for the four-color coffee table book...
    But, like the Indian divers in Steinbeck's The Pearl, we were utterly powerless to negotiate with those brokers of the written word. Who knew how they decided on a book's value? Who knew how to contest them? We'd accept whatever crumpled bills they'd push at us, afraid that at any moment they might point and scream thief. Then we'd slink off to some inexpensive bar to get drunk and talk about what we were going to do when we won the lottery.

One of the reasons I never made too much money at this racket was that I couldn't part with the really good books: My first editions of All the Pretty Horses, Written on the Body, The Secret History, The Sports Writer, This Boy's Life... Because these books touched me I spared them the selling block. They'd end up on the ever-expanding shelves in my apartment. The best of the best. Each one read, each loved, each on display.

When I bailed on New York and moved to Seattle at age 26, the books of course came with me. But then I picked up a new book that spelled the end for the rest: The Gift, by Marcel Mauss. One of Mauss's points, I read, was that in small 'archaic' societies gifts were meant to stay in motion. You received a gift with the intention of giving it to someone else, not of keeping it. If you kept it, say, on a shelf, people believed once upon a time, the gift would die.

The night I read this idea I went to bed in my little affordable-housing apartment above the Pike Place Market. I stared in the darkness at my wonderful collection of books, silent on new west-coast shelves. Road-markers on my journey. Heartwrenching, life-changing, inspiring, challenging, unforgettable... I'd paid for some of them, pocketed others, but they were all gifts, really, weren't they. And I thought, these books, encased like that, already read, are indeed dead. Look there: a deceased love story, a lifeless adventure, a comedy of errors without pulse.

The next morning I woke up and made a new rule. I would only keep as many books as would fit on a tiny, two-tiered bookcase I'd been using as a shelf under my bathroom sink. Even books I hadn't read yet had to fit -- stacked vertically, not piled flat. That would have been cheating.

I can't remember which ones I kept, but when I was through I had less than twenty books on that little shelf, and a dolly overflowing with more than three hundred. I wheeled the dolly into the hallway of my building, took the elevator to the lobby, parked it and left this note: FREE BOOKS.

Then I went out to do what you do on any given morning in Seattle: drink some coffee. I came back 45 minutes later. All of the books were gone. Every one of them. The shock of it sucked the air out of me. I had expected some early scavenging -- some books removed, others stacked politely to one side -- not this wholesale and vulgar ransacking of my sacred temple. A temple that had taken me years to build.

Then, I made myself think of The Gift. My old books weren't relics to be looted, they were winged things that I'd freed. I felt exhilarated. Lighter and giddy for the burden released. Later that day I was horror-stricken. As I fell asleep I felt such peace. In the morning, panic.

That's pretty much the rollercoaster ride I still take each time I think about that morning nearly 20 years ago. Ouch, whew. Ouch, whew. I thought about it again this week when a big box arrived at my house in Barcelona. Inside, the author copies of my memoir, Never the Hope Itself, to be published in less than a week. 35 pristine copies. First editions, no less. The smell when I opened the box. Winged things, motionless in cardboard.
    Give them all away, a voice has been yammering in one ear. Over my dead body, whispers another.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gerry-hadden/giving-away-books_b_952649.html

Thanks for that, I really like that article.

I suppose a turning point for me was the realisation that it would take me years to read all the books I have at home. It's taken me a long time, but now I see the point of letting my books go. They were often on my shelves for years anyway. This way I feel I am spreading the joy of my books with other people.

Don't worry, it's not the end of me supporting the book buying industry. Since I joined Book Crossing, I have actually bought more books than I did before!

I also like swapping books with other Book Crossers all over the world. You can discover other readers with the same reading tastes.

Once I've read a book now, I put it in the box beside the door, ready to go. So of course, that means I have to buy another book...

I hope you all join Book Crossing. Let me know your Book Crossing names, if you do!

On Tuesday 20th September you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

Just a reminder about the meeting tomorrow evening.....

The Book of the Month is:
    Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha
    by Roddy Doyle

As there was a few folks also interested in a Cork Group - we are going to start afresh - See thread "Cork Readers" - and have our first meeting scheduled for Wednesday 12th October - anyone who'd like to join in is welcome - just send me a private message and I'll forward the details.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=297

If you cannot link in there, I've opened a Facebook Group too:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/CorkReaders/

That is wonderful news. I was hoping the Cork Book Crossers group would become more active again.

KazM - is this intended to be a Boook Crossers group or just a normal book club? It would be great if the other Cork members that you have in your group joined Book Crossing also.

I could publicise it on the BC Ireland Yahoo group & BC forums on the official website, if you like (if it is a BC group)?

We have our first meeting planned for 12th October - when we will discuss how we wish to proceed.

That's great KazM, hope all goes well. If you are going to be a Book Crossers group, you might find that the Dublin (& members from other parts) Book Crossers might want to join up! We have members from Meath, Kildare & Kilkenny who come into the Dublin meetings, and there are a lot of international members.

Keep us posted!

On Tuesday 18th October you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St. Dublin 2 (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

The Book of the Month is “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?” by Horace McCoy.
    Draiocht, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 have a showing of that film as part of the Film Club on Wed 23rd November.

http://www.draiocht.ie/events/category/film/

It might be worth a look. The book is short anyway, and I hear it’s good.

Starbucks in New Look, Blanchardstown & Douglas & Kaldi, Ashtown Station, Dublin 7, are good spots for picking up Book Crossing books. I noticed some people are just writing in the Book Crossing ID number on the cover, so that's handy to know. So you don't even need the expense of buying the labels. Anyway, you have those PDF labels that I posted here earlier.

Hope to see somne of you at the Book Crossing meeting tomorrow. The Book of the Month was really good, I thought. It's the story of post - depression America, and a marathon dance competition. I'm rather fond of this era & post 2nd World War American literature. I am particularly fond of all those "Beat" generation authors. One of my recent favourites was "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut.

See you tomorrow, all boardsies will get a special free book!

• Advertisement

Looking forward to it!!

Advertisement