Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young new drivers face year-long passenger ban

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Personally I think a lot of these car enthuasiasts (well, the teens with low budgets) are wasting cash which they could be spending doing better things.

However, I seriously doubt that throwing an outlandish spoiler on a car is automatically going to make it dangerous.

IMO, claiming that such modifications to a car are dangerous is nothing more than stereotyping the driver of those cars by allying modification to dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The might aswell just ban cars while their at it. :rolleyes: Nanny state bollocks.

Gaybo needs to take a long long walk on a short pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The might aswell just ban cars while their at it. :rolleyes: Nanny state bollocks.

Lol, was about to say the same thing. With the way things are going, only electric cars will be allowed on the roads by 2015. Insane logic by the RSA here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Personally I think a lot of these car enthuasiasts (well, the teens with low budgets) are wasting cash which they could be spending doing better things.

However, I seriously doubt that throwing an outlandish spoiler on a car is automatically going to make it dangerous.

IMO, claiming that such modifications to a car are dangerous is nothing more than stereotyping the driver of those cars by allying modification to dangerous driving.

to be honest most of my mates (18-25 age bracket and male) if they had the choice between a 1.3-1.5 sh1tbox modded up to the nines and not declared to insurance or actually being able to afford to insure a 3 litre car theyd pick the 3 litre, a lot of the boyracer and undeclared engine mods comes from not being able to insure anything bigger than a 1.5 , but very few of those lads change the running gear, theyd be fr better off in a 3 litre 300bhp car with brakes designed to stop a 300bhp car than the current method of tune a 1.5 vtec honda up to that mark and hope you never need to jam on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They have a similar system in Australia, if you are on a P1 (like a new driver) and if you are under 25 if can only carry one passenger under 21 between 11pm-5am
    This trys to prevent boy racers zooming around the city

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/p1p2_conditions.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Berty wrote: »
    Banning friends. Nice one government.

Gay Byrne is hardly the Government in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

The might aswell just ban cars while their at it.

There is no proposal to do that. I sense you may be over reacting.
    :rolleyes: Nanny state bollocks.

Prehaps, but the state does limit speeds and make features like safety belts compulsory as it is. That might be nanny state bollocks too, but motoring in general is a highly regulated activity in every western country. Given that, it doesn't surprise me particularly that the head of a body with the sole remit of road safety might propose something along these lines.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

vectra wrote: »
    So does this mean I must accompany my son to the test center as he cannot drive....He passes his test and I have to walk home....:D
    Sez it all, tbh.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Banning modifications should be part of the strategy though, driving in a normal car you are not as tempted to speed and act the maggot.
    I'm sorry, Stinicker, but I think you need to re-write your logic here, you have things the wrong way round.

Over-the-top modifications and excessive speed are symptoms of boyracer culture, true, but the primary problem is the underlying attitude.

Modified cars don't cause drivers to speed, and don't cause accidents, drivers do.

Take bad drivers off the road, don't take modified cars off the road (presuming they are safe / pass NCT etc. ... and yes, I would enforce a noise restriction, not so much for road safety as for the sake of all our ears).
    ... driving in a normal car you are not as tempted to speed and act the maggot.
    Oh ... and can you please tell this to all the grown-up (sic) RossO'CKs of 30 - 45 with their mobile phones to their ear, bellowing at their gf of the night to get her face on and the chardonnay open as they blast their way across Dublin (and elsewhere) at well above the speed limit in a large, powerful but unmodified penis substitute.
    The state of Utah in the US....
    Given some of the weird laws Utah has passed in its time, you may not have picked the best exemplar tbh ... :)
    hussey wrote: »
    They have a similar system in Australia, if you are on a P1 (like a new driver) and if you are under 25 if can only carry one passenger under 21 between 11pm-5am
    While I wouldn't be supporting that either, if you look at it it's at least a lot more reasonable than what is being proposed here.

Note ... can carry only one passenger under 21 between 11 p.m. - 5 a.m

At least it actually focuses tightly on the time / the target audience. Challengemaster and his girlfriend have no hassle going to the cinema, or for a late night drive to Lovers' Lane. MarkyMark and his brahs might have more problems.

But ... here's the point:

If MarkyMark is driving dangerously or creating risk, there are plenty of laws to take him off the roads ... IF they were enforced.

If he's not ... why should he be taken off the road for having a bad nick, a worse accent and a spoiler on his car?

We do still have civil rights in Ireland, don't we, or did we cash them in to bale out the banks as well? :rolleyes:

For fecks sake, put bad / dangerous drivers off the road, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or political allegiance ... especially regardless of the latter! :pac:

Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Wrong. The following steps are needed to improve road safety (and the environment and fair trade of course):

1. All cars must be electric and powered by torch batteries that are not made in China in sweatshops.
    2. All such electric cars must be limited to a speed that is no more than than the walking pace for a disabled person.
    3. The electric cars must be fitted with airbags in the front fenders so that if they manage to hit a pedestrian the latter will be propelled over the nearest building as the bag inflates, and therefore be out of harm's way.
    4. No vehicle shall be driven by a male of any age as males do not have the psychological facilities to be allowed to travel at more than slow walking pace. Only females shall be allowed to drive self-propelled vehicles. It is accepted by the RSA that they generally drive in a manner that is oblivious to anything around them and that they abandon rather than park, but that is rather sweet, isn't it?
    5. All roads adjacent to schools to be closed to any other than mums with kids during school opening and closing hours. That ban includes males walking recklessly on pavements.

All nonsense of course, but this is what you get when you ask a TV presenter to front a campaign. Why didn't they appoint someone like Catherine Zeta-Jones?

* resiting the obvious comment*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the truth of the matter is that cars are like dogs. No car is inherently bad. If whoever is driving the car is a dickhead then the car will obviously be driven into the ground.

we need to have a sea change of overall driving standards in this country. Even this morning for instance i had a gentleman in a suit driving a large mercedes trying to overtake me as i was turning right then proceeded to pull in in front of me as i was making the the turn. (so he made the right turn also but in a larger arc). suffice to say i wasn't very happy.

Basically its not the cars its the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

hussey wrote: »
    This trys to prevent boy racers zooming around the city

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/p1p2_conditions.html

I don't particularly like that idea either but it does appear to be more thought out than the nonsense from Gaybo (a man who doesn't even have a licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

So now is it gonna be illegal to carry passengers or talk to them as well while driving? Just because a couple of stupid teenage boy racers like to show off in front of their mates only to catastrophically fail?

Instead of cracking down on boyracers the government is being lazy again. Every few days I hear these boyracer kids revving their engines and trying to do handbrake turns around my neighborhood at around 3am in the night. And the Gards have done nothing about that!

Guess I should sell my car and get myself a Lotus Exige and use the passenger seat for carrying my stuff around.

Oh and by the way a couple of days ago I saw a Gard talking on the phone (not handfree) while driving in his Garda car. Who watches the watchmen...innit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Shall we be banning the over 65's?

Older folk have poorer eyesight and slower reaction times generally. Can we ban these off the road. No? Too far?

Ok let's just make it under 25's and over 65's who can't drive around with passengers. After all old Mary will only be distracted by Gerry Ryan or by her friend Betty talking about last night's soaps while they're driving to bingo in their micro pulling a 40ft trailer for the way their all over the road.

I see more dangerous driving from old people week in, week out on the road. Most of them didn't do a driving test, let alone a theory test. I have seen so many near misses with old folks on motorways and national roads it's beyond a joke now. When they lump the passenger ban suggestion in on the oldies and young people then it might seem a bit fairer. Still stupid but a fair bit of stupidity for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Oh and by the way a couple of days ago I saw a Gard talking on the phone (not handfree) while driving in his Garda car. Who watches the watchmen...innit?

Gardaí and all emergency services are exempt from traffic regulation, ie. they can do whatever the feck they want.

Advertisement