Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young new drivers face year-long passenger ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I think this is a brillint idea.

I passed my driving test a while back, so it will have absolutely no effect on me.

I hope they maker this law - and soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

P.C. wrote: »
    I think this is a brillint idea.

I passed my driving test a while back, so it will have absolutely no effect on me.

I hope they maker this law - and soon!

its-all-about-me.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Few flaws with the arguement..

Someone who's 17 is hardly going to have a performance car. Feck sake, I'm 19 in a week and have a 1.4 almera, and I'm still getting hammered for insurance. So unless they've got cash spouting out their arse, they won't be able to afford the car or the insurance.

And, anyone who actually has a proper high performance car, more than likely won't be acting the mick at every possible oppertunity. People know how easy it is to rack up points.

Personally, I'm more inclined to push the car a bit more when im on my own, nobody else to worry about..

yet another fecking stupid idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It makes sense, please lets not deny that banning passengers decreses roads deaths.

Please lets not deny that banning driving decreases road deaths. I'm a sick of people doing studies, seeing a problem and banning that problem. Why not make the death penalty the punishment for all crime.

This is unenforceable, and if they try to make it a penalty point offense I will actively campaign against it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think anyway we should campaign against gay full stop.

How he even got that job is above me. Just because he hosted a tv show.. Doesnt make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Someone who's 17 is hardly going to have a performance car. Feck sake, I'm 19 in a week and have a 1.4 almera, and I'm still getting hammered for insurance. So unless they've got cash spouting out their arse, they won't be able to afford the car or the insurance.

And, anyone who actually has a proper high performance car, more than likely won't be acting the mick at every possible oppertunity. People know how easy it is to rack up points.

Personally, I'm more inclined to push the car a bit more when im on my own, nobody else to worry about..

We need rich parents .... feckin heard of a 17yr old just down the road being bought a brand new high end BMW. Any here ever got one the min they turned 17???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think this is a good idea but it needs to come with more measures. Not driving when accompanied by a full driver and without L plates should be punished harder also.

What gaybo needs to do is.

Ban the carrying of passengers with exceptions for parents or guardians or a designated fully licensed driver.

Restrict Horse Power and Engine CC's

Ban all drivers under 21 from driving any modified cars with wide exhausts and stamp out the boyracer culture for once and for all.

If these three measure were adopted and then properly enforced it would help cut out a lot of unnecessary deaths especially in places like Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

just make the minimum age to qualify for a learner permit 25 years old problem solved just for males . females are careful could get a free full license when they are 15 years old presto problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No body to worry about???? You obviously drive on empty roads or on airport runways where there is no oother cars

Stinicker wrote: »
    Ban the carrying of passengers with exceptions for parents or guardians or a designated fully licensed driver.
    Seriously? Have you even read the fecking OP? It's for fully qualified drivers to 6-12 months after the test. Do you really think they want to be bringing mammy or daddy around for company? Or that they'll go find a fully licensed driver on the off chance they'd like to talk to someone while they drive? It's an unusually high amount of bull**** to come out with, even for the irish.

I don't even have my full license a year, yet, the main person I have in the car with me is my girlfriend. I do like being able to bring her places without the use of 2 cars, especially if we're leaving from the same place. How stupid is it that if we wanted to go to the cinema, I could drive in, but someone else would have to bring her, from the same starting point, in another car, to the same place. Now, I could just get a lift with her, but then whats the point in me having a driving license at all?

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid idea.
    Restrict Horse Power and Engine CC's
    Or, power/weight ratio which would be more sensible.
    Ban all drivers under 21 from driving any modified cars with wide exhausts and stamp out the boyracer culture for once and for all.

What's wrong with someone under 21 owning a modified car? Does it matter if the mods are performance mods or visual mods? Or is it the wide exhaust you've a problem with? Does the wide exhaust make someone a boy racer?

Please come back when you get some idea of what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

Now for anyone all for that idea but with the exception of family or guardians .... Have a think about how you think things would play out if someone was stopped & had a parent or guardian with them

This is how I picture it:

Passenger - "Ohh I don't have anything with me at the moment to prove I am his/her mother or any identification as to who I am"

Guard - "Ok so could you step out of the car, while I set up the back drop, fecth me polaroid & take your picture to attach to your details"

10min later after messing around ... "Ok now can you come down to the station tomorrow with your identification & prove this is your son/daughter"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The sooner Gay Byrne is ousted from any sort of authoritative position the better, he hasn't a clue.

Deaths on our roads have only been decreasing because of better roads and ever improving car safety and breath testing.

A much better way to actually make an impact on the number of road deaths is to spend money on some proper initiatives.

Education, all the way through the age range there are Irish drivers who actually haven't a clue how to drive let alone how to react to the unexpected, spend some money improving the outdated driving test, the laughable theory test and enforce fines on people for poor driving such as not driving around a roundabout properly or being in the wrong lane on a motorway.

Road Network, again spend some money on the roads, as I said above newer roads have saved lives but with the recession other roads have become death traps and some of the newer roads lack proper protection like barriers and for god sake build some rest stops, you can drive all the way from Galway to Dublin and you have to pull off and find a town to take a break.

This tripe of Gaybo spewing some ridiculous law that's near impossible to enforce, puts pressure on people during there normal lives and creates more anger among already hard hit motorists only does more harm than good.

Seriously? Have you even read the fecking OP? It's for fully qualified drivers to 6-12 months after the test. Do you really think they want to be bringing mammy or daddy around for company? Or that they'll go find a fully licensed driver on the off chance they'd like to talk to someone while they drive? It's an unusually high amount of bull**** to come out with, even for the irish.

I don't even have my full license a year, yet, the main person I have in the car with me is my girlfriend. I do like being able to bring her places without the use of 2 cars, especially if we're leaving from the same place. How stupid is it that if we wanted to go to the cinema, I could drive in, but someone else would have to bring her, from the same starting point, in another car, to the same place. Now, I could just get a lift with her, but then whats the point in me having a driving license at all?

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid idea.

Or, power/weight ratio which would be more sensible.

What's wrong with someone under 21 owning a modified car? Does it matter if the mods are performance mods or visual mods? Or is it the wide exhaust you've a problem with? Does the wide exhaust make someone a boy racer?

Please come back when you get some idea of what you're talking about.

I knw very much what I'm talking about and have far more driving experience than alot of people in this country.

I read the OP's post and made the point that rather than a blanket ban of passengers there could be designated passengers for people who drive to work and carshare etc.

Such restrictions are common place in other countries and we need to introduce them and restructure the driving test. Our driving tests today consist of about half an hours drive around a regional town where the applicant will have been living or practising for ages and this does not lead to good driving as it is as simple as taking a quick spin around your home town getting your licence hopping into a car with a full licence and thinking they are Mario Andretti and getting killed two days later.

There has to be vehicle restrictions and Modified cars both in performance and visual should be banned to the U-21's due to the dangers they pose. A 18 year old driver in a modified car no matter how crap it is thinks hes great and as yourself has described has the Girlfriend in the car and will be acting the bollocks showing off when in the real world us normal drivers are thinking god what a numpty and most women would run a mile from that crap!

Wide exhausts create noise pollution and most modded cars with them are done badly and there is a massive difference between a factory spec M3 and a Honda Civic tarted up.

There has to be some regulation clamping down on boyracer culture and changing our mindset totally. Where I live every year we get the huge influx of boyracer morons and the odd genuine car enthusiast who follow the Rally of the Lakes in Killarney and sort of sheer stupidity that goes on would make your blood boil. This year I am going to London with the OH to avoid the whole stressful situation.

draffodx wrote: »
    This tripe of Gaybo spewing some ridiculous law that's near impossible to enforce, puts pressure on people during there normal lives and creates more anger among already hard hit motorists only does more harm than good.

I ent at all for the idea but when I thought about it, it's very easy for them to enforce if they just stick to no passengers end of.

They'll code the license to make it known they ent allowed to carry passengers & prob introduce the Green L Plates that would be complusory for the time frame of the restriction. And carrying fines of a minimun of €1,000. If they can catch up to 14,000 learner for things since 2008, they can def master this one & enforce it.

Tho it screams to me REVENUE REVENUE

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

First off I think the RSA have saved lives on Irish roads without doubt.

This rule won't affect me either, while I understand the logic behind it the rule itself makes no sense on a large scale and would be very hard to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

while this rule wouldnt affect me i still think its pretty stupid, ive seen lads mess about in cars with groups of them there, but its just as bad a bunch of lads in a bunch of cars, if they wanted to save lives by trying to implement this they should just hand out penalty points for drivers and fines for passangers of cars engaged in anti social behavious (screaming and throwing things out windows of cars, speeding through estates, really loud music past 12 in residential areas etc....) this would probably never work because of enforcment but neither would the original plan, but that plan just makes criminals out of young lads out with the bird for the evening ,

as far as i know gay byrne is just trying to make driving so un-enjoyable that well preffer to sit at home and watch re-runs of his hayday on the late late

There has to be vehicle restrictions and Modified cars both in performance and visual should be banned to the U-21's due to the dangers they pose.

Yeh because a bodykit or a spoiler can leap out at you and kill you without warning :rolleyes:

The car itself whether modified or not is not at fault for any sort of accident, its the driver that's at fault, if you ban modifications then they will simply crash a non modified car.

Education is the key to decreasing road deaths in young drivers not banning modifications.
    A 18 year old driver in a modified car no matter how crap it is thinks hes great and as yourself has described has the Girlfriend in the car and will be acting the bollocks showing off when in the real world us normal drivers are thinking god what a numpty and most women would run a mile from that crap!

Same could be said about an 18 year old in a non modified car
    Wide exhausts create noise pollution and most modded cars with them are done badly and there is a massive difference between a factory spec M3 and a Honda Civic tarted up.

Nothing to do with road safety though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yeh because a bodykit or a spoiler can leap out at you and kill you without warning :rolleyes:

The car itself whether modified or not is not at fault for any sort of accident, its the driver that's at fault, if you ban modifications then they will simply crash a non modified car.

/QUOTE]

Still, ban boxy starlets and nova's , nobody of right mind to drive responsibly owns one of them

Education is the key to decreasing road deaths in young drivers not banning modifications.

Same could be said about an 18 year old in a non modified car

Nothing to do with road safety though.

Banning modifications should be part of the strategy though, driving in a normal car you are not as tempted to speed and act the maggot. Boyracers in their cars think that even a run to the shops is part of a racetrack and drive accordingly.

The state of Utah in the US recently passed a bill in the state senate banning modified exhausts and these measures need to implemented over here too. No driver at 17 is a good driver and having them sitting into a Modified car increases their chances of death immensely. Modified Exhausts are a road safety issue as the driver maybe unable to hear the sirens of an emergency vehicle due to the noise emanating from his back box.

Banning modifications should be part of the strategy though, driving in a normal car you are not as tempted to speed and act the maggot. Boyracers in their cars think that even a run to the shops is part of a racetrack and drive accordingly.

The state of Utah in the US recently passed a bill in the state senate banning modified exhausts and these measures need to implemented over here too. No driver at 17 is a good driver and having them sitting into a Modified car increases their chances of death immensely. Modified Exhausts are a road safety issue as the driver maybe unable to hear the sirens of an emergency vehicle due to the noise emanating from his back box.

I'm sorry but I can't take any more of your rant about modifications and I'm sure some of the others are probably the same, now if you read the link below

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/About-Your-Car/Modified-vehicles/

And still aren't happy to the top right of that page you'll see a contact box ... take it up with the RSA! :D

• Advertisement

There has to be vehicle restrictions and Modified cars both in performance and visual should be banned to the U-21's due to the dangers they pose.

My car when I got it:
    50A14E034CE94FB39E64D40435E73E05-800.jpg
    11F414573C3742E2939328C696EFE394-800.jpg

My car now:
    B58DE75C131443E3AD655013837FE470-800.jpg
    C2A65549408B4C9F9B085C9B4C843714-800.jpg

Please point out in precise detail, where any of the following I have done to my car, would pose a threat/danger to any person.

1) Changing the standard grill, which is still held in place by the same amount of clips.
    2) Removing the badges on the rear
    3) Adding a front splitter, which is bolted in place by atleast 10 bolts.
    4) Changing the alloys on the car, to ones with brand new tyres and fitted to the car professionally, balanced and tracked.
    5) Removing the towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Berty wrote: »
    Banning friends. Nice one government.

What are the chances that girls will be allowed passengers but not blokes?
    Remember
    He Drives, She Dies.

Under this, only female passengers will be banned by uncle Gaybo.

Challengemaster One danger ... to your car lol can see your reg, the anti-modification party will be looking for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Shur look it goes back to the same old driving arguement. It dosent all come down to young people or passangers. Its older people that are as bad i was in a rush to dublin last week i came around the portlaoise roundabout and down the slip road for dublin when i nearly hit a old fart head on coming up the slip road in an old astra.:rolleyes:

Please point out in precise detail, where any of the following I have done to my car, would pose a threat/danger to any person.

1) Changing the standard grill, which is still held in place by the same amount of clips.
    2) Removing the badges on the rear
    3) Adding a front splitter, which is bolted in place by atleast 10 bolts.
    4) Changing the alloys on the car, to ones with brand new tyres and fitted to the car professionally, balanced and tracked.
    5) Removing the towbar.

Your car has a few modifications of it but is not the typical heavily modded car driven by precocious teenagers. You haven't lowered it or modified the springs or suspensions, I don't see modified brakes or any molestation under the bonnet. Your car is very lightly modified and does not even have an aftermarket exhaust. Rest easy your car is not the sort I am on about and from your photos there seems to be pride behind the car even if it is only an old almera.

Muppets like these guys are the reason we need this sort of legislation.

It wont make a difference if the car is modified or not, if modifications were banned the same lad will be doing the same thing in an unmodified car, they will be just as tempted to speed and act the maggot.

Its the driver's attitude that needs to be changed not the car.
    The state of Utah in the US recently passed a bill in the state senate banning modified exhausts and these measures need to implemented over here too.

Why? All that modified exhausts do is cause noise, nothing to do with road safety, banning them will do nothing to improve road safety.

No driver at 17 is a good driver and having them sitting into a Modified car increases their chances of death immensely.

How so? Your spewing out the same old tabloid bull without any sort of back up for it, it doesn't increase there chances at all, they have the exact same chance as if they weren't driving a modified car because it all comes down to a drivers attitude nothing else.
    Modified Exhausts are a road safety issue as the driver maybe unable to hear the sirens of an emergency vehicle due to the noise emanating from his back box.

Is that really the best reason you can think of? Something else you just made up without any research into it?
    Muppets like these guys are the reason we need this sort of legislation.

They were caught for driving like idiots, you think banning modifications would stop that? If so your deluding yourself

Just to be clear I'd like to get rid of all the idiots driving up and down towns, acting the maggot and causing a nuisance, they are extremely annoying and are a scourge on proper enthusiasts but simply saying we need legislation to ban modifications is not the way to go as it simple wont work and will only hurt people who are responsible enough to properly modify there car and enjoy it maturely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I've a feeling Stinicker is actually one of Gay Byrne's aliases...

And btw, Stinicker, most mods youngfellas are doing to their cars are cosmetic. The exhausts, bodykits and spoilers are making the car slower in most cases. They may be an eyesore to you, but they're absolutely no more dangerous than they were before all of that. So it's a moot point.

All this passenger restriction thing will do is encourage young fellas to go out and buy bikes until they reach the age where there's no restrictions on cars/passengers.
    And it's 10x easier to go get a prov bike license, get a powerful 'restricted' bike, get insured, remove the restrictors and then you've got yourself a 250cc rocket bike piloted by a complete retard that's capable of doing sub 6 second 0-60's in something that cost him less than 5k to buy, tax and insure.

GREAT IDEA!

If it was CC/BHP based for cars, you'd still have the Glanza/VTS/GTi/Pulsar brigades so it wouldn't change anything.

Power/weight ratio restriction would be acceptable for a short period of time.
    6 months in a standard run of the mill 1.4 or lower (power/weight has to be considered ofc) is punishment enough for a young person. And this would be without passenger restrictions of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why don't they just ban having head units in learner cars, these can be a worst destraction, particularly with the jerry show. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Your car has a few modifications of it but is not the typical heavily modded ........

I really don't agree with any of your posts so far.

First of all you generalize people who modify there cars, I personally know loads of people who modify there cars and are just as safe a driver as the average Bmw man, even more so in some cases.

I think you have a tainted view of people in a modified car typical of people outside the subculture, and it is my opinion that people who genuinely modify there cars be it a civic or an m3 will take more care of it. It is the lads(and girls) who buy ****boxes for 500 euro that give us young people a bad name.

Oh and your point about no 17 year old being a good driver is generalization in the extreme my mate was a Prodrift licence and full licence holder at 17, and could out drive most of the people with 40 or so years driving "experience" (ie driving to the shop and back). While i agree a 17 year old needs proper road experience i believe this should be gained in school and should be examined on a 5 year basis for everyone and should include more car control.

Oh and in case u wanted to know im a 19 year old with a full licence and some Motorsport experience i drive a modified civic, and have never been in a crash or gotten a penalty point and yet i still get hassle from the guards and people in general.

Ps sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

"And one of the boys is bound to say 'Hey, Mick, this is a high-performance car. Let's see what she can do'.

"Two miles down the road they slam into a tree or a wall and they are all dead," he said.

That's called natural selection, Gaybo :rolleyes:

Advertisement