Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tebow to the Broncos and related discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

themont85 wrote: »
    The question for the Broncos is, are they better and closer than 15 months ago to the playoffs?........ Unless the owner has given him a cast iron 5 year term I can see it ending in tears.

That's the main crux of my reasoning for posting against this pick, McDaniels hasn't made the Broncos a better team since taking charge and in all liklihood won't be around to reap any rewards that Tebow could sow down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

frostie500 wrote: »
    That's the main crux of my reasoning for posting against this pick, McDaniels hasn't made the Broncos a better team since taking charge and in all liklihood won't be around to reap any rewards that Tebow could sow down the line
    Tebow brings a wildcat option to the team while he learns to play under center.
    They have Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn there also, I don't see how they are stuck. In fact I think McDaniels has a lot of spread option elements in his offenses so Tebow may just be the perfect quarterback for his system.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tebow brings a wildcat option to the team while he learns to play under center.
    They have Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn there also, I don't see how they are stuck. In fact I think McDaniels has a lot of spread option elements in his offenses so Tebow may just be the perfect quarterback for his system.

Tim Tebow is not a wildcat QB. He doesnt have blazing speed, in college he just bulldozed over people and that wont work for in the NFL for him. Tebow can be contained due to his lack of top speed, he isnt a Mike Vick or a Vince Young that spots a small gap and can take off through it.

Orton, Brady and Tebow are their QBs and you don't see how they are stuck? The NFL is a QB driven league and they have players that are not up to task. Do you remember Brady Quinn last year? His time in college seems longer and longer ago. Orton is not the long term answer at QB, as they have shown.

They have three QBs on the roster and not one of them is capable of leading them to sucess in my view for at least the next three years. As themont said they had the potential for McDaniels to come in and lead a productive offence, get Nolan in to sort out the defence and in a weak division be relevant for years, right now the Broncos are an irrelevant after thought

Tim Tebow is not a wildcat QB. He doesnt have blazing speed, in college he just bulldozed over people and that wont work for in the NFL for him. Tebow can be contained due to his lack of top speed, he isnt a Mike Vick or a Vince Young that spots a small gap and can take off through it.

Orton, Brady and Tebow are their QBs and you don't see how they are stuck? The NFL is a QB driven league and they have players that are not up to task. Do you remember Brady Quinn last year? His time in college seems longer and longer ago. Orton is not the long term answer at QB, as they have shown.

They have three QBs on the roster and not one of them is capable of leading them to sucess in my view for at least the next three years. As themont said they had the potential for McDaniels to come in and lead a productive offence, get Nolan in to sort out the defence and in a weak division be relevant for years, right now the Broncos are an irrelevant after thought
    Quoted for reference in December.;)

Quoted for reference in December.;)

To be honest you can use it in December 2011 as well!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

+1

There a lot of similarity between Vince Young and Tebow when they were making the step up from college ball to the NFL. Both lack the mechanics. However Young had/has the ability to make a play on the run aswell as the pass - he had/has elusive speed. Whereas I dont see Tebow posessing that - hopefully they sit him for a year and dont throw him in at the deep end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Tebow is not someone you could use in the Wildcat. He is far too slow for it. He ran the 40 in 4.70. Take Ray Lewis as an example of someone who would mince Tebow. Lewis time was 4.52. As for most Linebackers in the Pros their times hover around 4.5-4.6 mark.

If Tebow is used in the Wildcat they will want to hope his strength added with that speed helps him break tackles.

Tebow is not someone you could use in the Wildcat. He is far too slow for it. He ran the 40 in 4.70. Take Ray Lewis as an example of someone who would mince Tebow. Lewis time was 4.52. As for most Linebackers in the Pros their times hover around 4.5-4.6 mark.

If Tebow is used in the Wildcat they will want to hope his strength added with that speed helps him break tackles.
    Taking the example quoted, I'd love to see Tebow try to run over the likes of Ray Lewis! He'll soon learn that the NFL is a massive step up in terms of sheer physicality, from college ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

All of a moot point really, the Broncos won't be allowing their first round QB run into any linebacker like in college. One of the reasons I question how good he''ll be.

My gripe here is how high the Broncos picked him and how McDanies has committed suicide as a coach in doing this and other moves.

themont85 wrote: »
    All of a moot point really, the Broncos won't be allowing their first round QB run into any linebacker like in college. One of the reasons I question how good he''ll be.

My gripe here is how high the Broncos picked him and how McDanies has committed suicide as a coach in doing this.

I agree. They could have still taken him in the second. Paid him less money and be under less pressure to groom Tebow into an NFL QB. Given him a year on the Bench without any significant pressure to fix himself.

Now by trading up with all those picks McDaniels has put a noose around his head. Combine Tebow and the Thomas who he picked previous to Tebow it was a bad first round and draft for any coach. McDaniels said he picked Thomas because he reminded him of Marshal :rolleyes: Thomas's production in college wasn't great but McDaniels believes he is one for the future.

So he picks two players in the 1st round he could have gotten lower down and both players have work to be done to make them ready for the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

After drafting Tebow. McDaniels listed the main characteristics he saw for a successful QB: leadership, dedication, work ethic and a winner's mentality. He said Tebow aced all of these.

Whats interesting is while watching Mike Mayocks draft interview with Bill Belichick he asked Bill about drafting a QB and more specifically Tom Brady, Bill mentioned the exact same traits.

I think these 4 mental characteristics are as important (maybe even more) as talent and you cant be successful as a QB in this league without both the mental makeup or the physical talent. But all great NFL qbs were admired more for their mental makeup more than their physical talent. Look at Brady and Manning, both out and out leaders who are completely dedicated to studing the game. Manning is most admired for his dedication to studying the game and Brady is most admired for his ability in clutch situations while JaMarcus Russell is admired for his ability to throw the ball 60 yrds while on his knees. Could Russell have more physical talent than Brady and Manning? very possibly.

Another interesting thing i watched on NFLN over the draft weekend was the Top 10 draft busts. No1 was obviously Ryan Leaf but when the Colts were trying to decide between the Leaf and Manning, both had talent so they asked both the same question; "What will you do the week after we draft you No.1?:

Manning: "I'll spend the week studying the playbook..."
    Leaf: "Honestly, I'm off to Vegas"

Both had talent, but it was the mental makeup that made the difference.

Then compare Tebow to Culter. Cutler obviously has the talent, Tebow's talent is pretty much unknown at the moment. Tebow has the 4 main mental characteristics, Cutler...well i dont think many people would rank Cutler highly in any of those four.

IMO, Culter without the mental make up will always be just an above average QB with a great upside but who will never reach his full potential. Tebow has as much better chance to being elite, we now just need to see how talented he is...

Hazys wrote: »
    After drafting Tebow. McDaniels listed the main characteristics he saw for a successful QB: leadership, dedication, work ethic and a winner's mentality. He said Tebow aced all of these.

Whats interesting is while watching Mike Mayocks draft interview with Bill Belichick he asked Bill about drafting a QB and more specifically Tom Brady, Bill mentioned the exact same traits.

I think these 4 mental characteristics are as important (maybe even more) as talent and you cant be successful as a QB in this league without both the mental makeup or the physical talent. But all great NFL qbs were admired more for their mental makeup more than their physical talent. Look at Brady and Manning, both out and out leaders who are completely dedicated to studing the game. Manning is most admired for his dedication to studying the game and Brady is most admired for his ability in clutch situations while JaMarcus Russell is admired for his ability to throw the ball 60 yrds while on his knees. Could Russell have more physical talent than Brady and Manning? very possibly.

Another interesting thing i watched on NFLN over the draft weekend was the Top 10 draft busts. No1 was obviously Ryan Leaf but when the Colts were trying to decide between the Leaf and Manning, both had talent so they asked both the same question; "What will you do the week after we draft you No.1?:

Manning: "I'll spend the week studying the playbook..."
    Leaf: "Honestly, I'm off to Vegas"

Both had talent, but it was the mental makeup that made the difference.

Then compare Tebow to Culter. Cutler obviously has the talent, Tebow's talent is pretty much unknown at the moment. Tebow has the 4 main mental characteristics, Cutler...well i dont think many people would rank Cutler highly in any of those four.

IMO, Culter without the mental make up will always be just an above average QB with a great upside but who will never reach his full potential, while Tebow has as much chance as being a successful as Cutler, maybe even more.

The problem here is Hazy's is not Tebow himself. That argument was done to death. We all know He can succeed in the NFL if he irons out his problems and gets proper coaching. We all get that bit.

Its how high and how many picks McDaniels took for him that is the issue. He could have gotten him in the 2nd quite easily. McDaniels has now put more pressure on himself. He needs Tebow to succeed and the fans wont be too patient if that success doesn't come instantly after giving up so much to take Tebow and then he warms a bench while the Broncos are losing on the field without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The problem here is Hazy's is not Tebow himself. That argument was done to death. We all know He can succeed in the NFL if he irons out his problems and gets proper coaching. We all get that bit.

Its how high and how many picks McDaniels took for him that is the issue. He could have gotten him in the 2nd quite easily. McDaniels has now put more pressure on himself. He needs Tebow to succeed and the fans wont be too patient if that success doesn't come instantly after giving up so much to take Tebow and then he warms a bench while the Broncos are losing on the field without him.

Really didnt read too much of the thread just skimmed tru it and saw a lot of Cutler references.

Two things i see with the value of the pick:
    1. Bills could have been trading down so maybe they needed to pull the trigger then with the 25th
    2. Broncos started the day 1 with 1X 1st, 2X 2nds, 1X 3rd, 1X 4th and ended up with 2X 1st, 1X 2nd, 2X 3rds 0x 4ths...who could argue with that?
    So effectively due to saavy trading they turned a 2nd into a first and a 4th into a third so they had the luxury to pick the player they wanted, Tim Tebow.

Also picking him in the late first allows the Broncos to sign him to a 5/6yr contract while in the 2nd he could only sign for 4yrs (i think, i could be wrong on rookie contracts by round)

So he picks two players in the 1st round he could have gotten lower down and both players have work to be done to make them ready for the NFL.
    Just on this. How can you come out and say he could have got both players later?

Do you think Josh is that stupid that he moves up again to take both Thomas and Tebow?

The Cowboys were two picks behind where he took Thomas, they took Dez Bryant so if he thinks they are going WR and he has Thomas at the top of his WR list then it makes sense to move up.

On the Tebow pick, there were rumours that Dallas and Miami were both interested, the Cardinals might have moved there too for him. We don't know for sure whether they would or would not have but again he moves up and takes him ahead of three teams, one with a possible QB need and two that were rumoured to be interested in Tebow.

Just on this. How can you come out and say he could have got both players later?

Do you think Josh is that stupid that he moves up again to take both Thomas and Tebow?

The Cowboys were two picks behind where he took Thomas, they took Dez Bryant so if he thinks they are going WR and he has Thomas at the top of his WR list then it makes sense to move up.

On the Tebow pick, there were rumours that Dallas and Miami were both interested, the Cardinals might have moved there too for him. We don't know for sure whether they would or would not have but again he moves up and takes him ahead of three teams, one with a possible QB need and two that were rumoured to be interested in Tebow.

How do I know? I don't, But its the same way you don't know anyone would have taken him late in the 1st had Denver not traded up. It was my opinion hence why I said he could and not he would definitely have gotten him. And from what I have read over the last few months the majority of folk had Tebow pegged to go early in the 2nd.

As for Thomas there were at least 4 WR better than him still on the board. Every pundit said it during the draft in the 1st round and I agree with them. A lot were surprised Thomas was picked so early. Im going to say he definitely would have dropped. The picks after Denver's pick suggest that no other team wanted a WR other than Denver in the first round. And I exclude the Cowboys as they had their heart set on Bryant.

But hey since you know all I bow down to your opinion at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,190 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I said that last year I thought that Chicago had gotten a great deal but after watching him last season he made too many bad decisions for my liking.

He had no time, what do you expect?. When you have an attitude like Cutlers and want to make a big play everytime if doesn't help when your line crumbles in under 1.5 seconds and you have massive d-lineman in your face. Try getting crushed by 350lb Shaun Rogers a few times in a game and see how you feel. I honetly don't know how Cutler survived through 16 games last season. He's one tough son of a b*tch.

He improved in the last 2-3 games because FINALLY Lovie Smith benched lineman and gave him a big WR target in Aromashodu.

If our joke of a line has already been pointed out by someone else then my apologies. I'm too tired to read anymore tonight.

How do I know? I don't, But its the same way you don't know anyone would have taken him late in the 1st had Denver not traded up. It was my opinion hence why I said he could and not he would definitely have gotten him. And from what I have read over the last few months the majority of folk had Tebow pegged to go early in the 2nd.

As for Thomas there were at least 4 WR better than him still on the board. Every pundit said it during the draft in the 1st round and I agree with them. A lot were surprised Thomas was picked so early. Im going to say he definitely would have dropped. The picks after Denver's pick suggest that no other team wanted a WR other than Denver in the first round. And I exclude the Cowboys as they had their heart set on Bryant.

But hey since you know all I bow down to your opinion at this rate.
    Thomas was ranked 34 on the Cowboy's board. We don't know where Dez Bryant was ranked but the leaked video clearly shows Demaryius Thomas at 33 so he would have been on their radar at 24 and definitely ahead of any other WR barring Bryant on their board.

Thomas was ranked 34 on the Cowboy's board. We don't know where Dez Bryant was ranked but the leaked video clearly shows Demaryius Thomas at 33 so he would have been on their radar at 24 and definitely ahead of any other WR barring Bryant on their board.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that Bryant would have been ranked higher on their board. The Fact Jerry Jones sang his praises so much and handed him 88 and said the following:
    "Dez has the chance to make the same kind of impact that the people who have worn this jersey before have had. Personally, I think it has a nice synergy relative to our fans."

I believe Bryant was their number 1 target as do many others. Most Mock drafts had Bryant gone long before the 24th pick.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that Bryant would have been ranked higher on their board. The Fact Jerry Jones sang his praises so much and handed him 88 and said the following:

I believe Bryant was their number 1 target as do many others. Most Mock drafts had Bryant gone long before the 24th pick.
    Well the reason he dropped so much was very likely due to a number of reasons.

1. His perceived lack of preparation for his pro day which led to questions over his work ethic, there was also question marks about his maturity and his consistency.
    2. He only scored 16 on the wonderlic(Demaryius Thomas scored 34).

I'm not saying that Thomas was ahead of Bryant on the Cowboys but given the fact that Denver had Bryant for a private workout and jumped ahead of the Cowboys who also had Bryant for a private workout, its clear that Josh thought that Thomas would be their target.

Well the reason he dropped so much was very likely due to a number of reasons.

1. His perceived lack of preparation for his pro day which led to questions over his work ethic, there was also question marks about his maturity and his consistency.
    2. He only scored 16 on the wonderlic(Demaryius Thomas scored 34).

I'm not saying that Thomas was ahead of Bryant on the Cowboys but given the fact that Denver had Bryant for a private workout and jumped ahead of the Cowboys who also had Bryant for a private workout, its clear that Josh thought that Thomas would be their target.

Why are you telling me the reasons of why he dropped they are irrelevant. I know the reasons already. The simple fact is the Cowboys most likely had Bryant ahead of Thomas. Its obvious at this point Thomas was the Broncos target considering they took him but it still doesn't explain why they took him early if we go back to what I said originally. The remaining teams after the Broncos bar the Cowboys opted for other positions are more of a necessity and I feel it was clear the Cowboys wanted Bryant.

• Advertisement

Why are you telling me the reasons of why he dropped they are irrelevant. I know the reasons already. The simple fact is the Cowboys most likely had Bryant ahead of Thomas. Its obvious at this point Thomas was the Broncos target considering they took him but it still doesn't explain why they took him early if we go back to what I said originally. The remaining teams after the Broncos bar the Cowboys opted for other positions are more of a necessity and I feel it was clear the Cowboys wanted Bryant.
    They are relevant, I'm saying there is a possibilty that the Cowboys would have taken Thomas ahead of Bryant for those reasons. We don't know if they would or would not and will never know now.

As for other teams taking who they wanted after that, that is wide open to speculation as not only might some of them teams have been interested like the Cardinals and Dolphins but others like the Bucs and Panthers might have been interested in moving up if he had remained on the board.

They are relevant, I'm saying there is a possibilty that the Cowboys would have taken Thomas ahead of Bryant for those reasons. We don't know if they would or would not and will never know now.

As for other teams taking who they wanted after that, that is wide open to speculation as not only might some of them teams have been interested like the Cardinals and Dolphins but others like the Bucs and Panthers might have been interested in moving up if he had remained on the board.

No you see I don't see the relevance because reading over the last few weeks it seemed the Cowboys would have most likely gone after Thomas had Bryant gone early. A lot of the articles seemed to suggest that Cowboys expected Bryant to go top 10 and Thomas to fall to them. But again all of this is mere speculation but I stand by my opinion the Cowboys wanted Bryant and they got lucky and got him because the Broncos took Thomas.

As for the speculating that is all any of us can do to sway our own opinions without cold hard facts. For me there was enough written to suggest what the Cowboys may have been thinking. I will stand by my opinion on this until I see other wise. And the other teams below the Cowboys sure Im hazarding a guess but it is a guess on their needs. Unless as you said someone else traded up Im not convinced any team under the Cowboys need either Bryant or Thomas.

No you see I don't see the relevance because reading over the last few weeks it seemed the Cowboys would have most likely gone after Thomas had Bryant gone early. A lot of the articles seemed to suggest that Cowboys expected Bryant to go top 10 and Thomas to fall to them. But again all of this is mere speculation but I stand by my opinion the Cowboys wanted Bryant and they got lucky and got him because the Broncos took Thomas.

As for the speculating that is all any of us can do to sway our own opinions without cold hard facts. For me there was enough written to suggest what the Cowboys may have been thinking. I will stand by my opinion on this until I see other wise. And the other teams below the Cowboys sure Im hazarding a guess but it is a guess on their needs. Unless as you said someone else traded up Im not convinced any team under the Cowboys need either Bryant or Thomas.
    Just on the bit there where you say about what was written in advance.

Lets just for a minute talk about Mel Kiper for example. Kiper does nothing but talk and study the draft from mid-February. Now this guy got 10 picks right in the draft off of his last board which was done the day before the draft. So the so called ESPN draft expert got 10 picks right out of 32 in the first round. This has to lead you on to believe that none of them really have any information and its all idle speculation.
    Even during the draft Gruden twice went against Kiper on his thoughts on picks. Tebow was one of them and Alualu was the other.

Kiper didn't have Alualu or Tebow in his top 32. He screamed when the Jags took Alualu at no.10 and tbh I was shocked myself. The Cowboys board though had Alualu at 22.

So now we have to ask ourselves which opinion you respect more, the Cowboys or Kiper? Well for me anyways I would go with the Cowboys, their early round picks over the last couple of years have been pretty impressive with the likes of Felix Jones, Michael Jenkins, Marcus Spears and DeMarcus Ware all very successful first round picks since 2005. Which leads me to believe that Kiper is just another armchair pundit who is getting well paid to give his opinion.

There were a lot of boards that had Thomas at 25 to the Ravens by the way.

The Cowboys were two picks behind where he took Thomas, they took Dez Bryant so if he thinks they are going WR and he has Thomas at the top of his WR list then it makes sense to move up. .
    Agreed on this one, It was more the second pick that seemed a reach imo
    Personally I had Tebow going in mid to late round two, anything above that would be considered a reach considering the amount of development needed. Of the teams mentioned, Miami is a definite no no, they have chad henne as the future QB, Pennington as starter and Pat White as the developmental/wildcat option. I couldnt see Dallas going QB in the 1st round, they have too many other needs and already have a more than serviceable QB. Arizona would seem most likely of the three, but, as with Dallas, they would have more pressing needs (defense).

I liked Peter King's take on the Tebow pick from his mailbag yesterday, I think it goes in line to how most of us would feel about the pick. This quote is about how much the team spent to get Tebow:
    Peter King wrote:
    The 25th pick is worth 720 points on the chart every team in the league uses -- some more religiously than others. The 43rd pick is worth 470, the 70th worth 240, and the 114th worth 66. That totals 776. The Broncos paid 56 more points than were necessary by the chart -- equivalent to the 199th overall pick, a late fourth-rounder -- to get Tebow

The rest of his piece is fairly well balanced and doesnt say whether Tebow will make it or not but as a lot of us have said in this thread King reiterates with:
    Peter King wrote:
    McDaniels has cast his lot with Tebow. He'll sink or swim, over the next three years with him. But if he sinks, he'll be sinking with a kid he believes in. I hear it in McDaniels' voice: This is his guy. Let the training begin. It's going to be fun to watch

In relation to the Thomas pick I've said in the draft thread that I like him, but coming from Georgia Tech(like Calvin Johnston) it's going to take him a year, maybe two, to be productive in an NFL system. Jackets draftees are notoriously bad route runners due to the triple option used in college and I think it will strike again with him. He has the potential to be a very good WR in the NFL and the Broncos drafted him for this potential.

Eric Dekker is a steal though with a third and was one WR that impressed me above most others last year. If he played for a bigger school he would have been drafted in the second at least

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I can see this thread re surfacing in 12months time, and longer when Tebow is an elite QB/fails as a QB.

All these 'clutch' comparisons are ridiculous at this stage, and comparisons to Cutler etc. 2 things, Tebow has never played NFL, and Cutler is on the better side of QBs in the NFL now. second, Culter has just finished his first season getting to grips with a new team and a whole new set up, and whilst it wasnt a great year, its hardly a year to be writing him off. The only way comparions with Tebow and Cutler will stand up is when they have BOTH completed many years in the NFL.

The Broncos definitely reached on their picks, there is no doubting that. Maybe they felt it was necessary, and if they got the guys they wanted for small losses, then thats their perogative. Most wont agree with them, but these drafts are like that. You dont select players you dont need just because the 'system' ranks them high, you select players that you want wherever they are, and the broncos made sure they got their picks. I think they over paid, and could have waited, but I suppose if they based their draft around making sure they got them, then it was a succesful draft in their view. But again, the only way we'll really know if they were right is to wait and see how they play, but doing that means we dont get months of mileage out of trash talking and pointless debates in off season!

Manning v Brady anyone? ;)

I liked Peter King's take on the Tebow pick from his mailbag yesterday, I think it goes in line to how most of us would feel about the pick. This quote is about how much the team spent to get Tebow:

The rest of his piece is fairly well balanced and doesnt say whether Tebow will make it or not but as a lot of us have said in this thread King reiterates with:

In relation to the Thomas pick I've said in the draft thread that I like him, but coming from Georgia Tech(like Calvin Johnston) it's going to take him a year, maybe two, to be productive in an NFL system. Jackets draftees are notoriously bad route runners due to the triple option used in college and I think it will strike again with him. He has the potential to be a very good WR in the NFL and the Broncos drafted him for this potential.

Eric Dekker is a steal though with a third and was one WR that impressed me above most others last year. If he played for a bigger school he would have been drafted in the second at least
    Are we to take it now that you are agreeing with Peter King that McDaniels will be with the Broncos in 3 years, I thought you were saying he would be gone after this season.

On King, he had Thomas going at 25 to the Ravens in his own mock draft.

I'm thinking you read and take SI.com as almost gospel from reading a lot of your posts?

While King talks about draft points value there, the fact is that the Broncos were one of four teams that had 5 picks in the first 100, the Patriots, Broncos, Chiefs and Browns and they all got great value out of their original picks. There is a trend there if you can spot it too. I'll put it on a spoiler so people can work it out for themselves but its kinda obvious.
    All of them had ex-Belichick era Patriots in their draft war rooms. McDaniels at the Broncos, Mangini at the Browns and Pioli at the Chiefs

I also think that the points value on higher picks had to be worth much less this year with such a deep draft. For example the Patriots would have had to give up their 22 and 42 and a fifth rounder if they had wanted to take the Jaguars no.10 pick. Personally that just seems like horrendous value, in other years it would be fine but not this year.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Agreed on this one, It was more the second pick that seemed a reach imo

Personally I had Tebow going in mid to late round two, anything above that would be considered a reach considering the amount of development needed. Of the teams mentioned, Miami is a definite no no, they have chad henne as the future QB, Pennington as starter and Pat White as the developmental/wildcat option. I couldnt see Dallas going QB in the 1st round, they have too many other needs and already have a more than serviceable QB. Arizona would seem most likely of the three, but, as with Dallas, they would have more pressing needs (defense).
    I mightn't be up do date on this but I was sure that Pennington's career was over?
    Ronny Brown took a lot of snaps in the wildcat for them, he is not likely to be seen for some time this year so Tebow might have been ideal for them. I watched a lot of their games last year and Pat White wasn't getting much playing time, maybe they are not impressed by him I don't know.
    I'm not actually saying for certain that any team would have selected him but McDaniels is not a fool, he didn't jump up there if he thought he could get him later. He obviously identified at least one team who he was afraid would get in ahead of him.

bruschi wrote: »
    I can see this thread re surfacing in 12months time, and longer when Tebow is an elite QB/fails as a QB.
    I don't bring up old threads but since you mention it, I do remember everybody cutting me to bits when I said Tebow was deffo gonna go in the first round.:)

• Advertisement

I mightn't be up do date on this but I was sure that Pennington's career was over?
    when you said that I thought I heard that somewhere, but I cant find any mention of it. Also this article would seem to state the contrary
    Ronny Brown took a lot of snaps in the wildcat for them, he is not likely to be seen for some time this year so Tebow might have been ideal for them. I watched a lot of their games last year and Pat White wasn't getting much playing time, maybe they are not impressed by him I don't know.
    I'm not actually saying for certain that any team would have selected him but McDaniels is not a fool, he didn't jump up there if he thought he could get him later. He obviously identified at least one team who he was afraid would get in ahead of him.
    Well they took Pat White in the 2nd round last year, and he seems a similar project to Tebow, in that he's a lefty QB project, albeit with more upside (more elusive speed).

I cant see who it may have been , unless it was Arizona - where the prospect of them taking any QB, let alone Tebow, in the 1st round was very low.

Advertisement