Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter, Beer cans, Drinks bottles - Would you support a returnable charge?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

In Germany,the first time you pay for a crate for example its €20,if you bring back all the bottles you might get €5 off the next one.These are guess figures but its along them lines.

At home if I have people over Ill keep the empty crate in the corner for empty bottles,a cash incentive and everyone would be doing the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The US (No Arguments) have the right idea altogether. They give a person money for recycling. They would give a person 5 cent per can or 500 ml bottle provided and a few dollars per tonne of paper and plastic. It would encourage people to clean up after themselves here instead of having to fork out to give it to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I was visiting friends in Denmark, the beer bottle return system worked great. The soft drink system ... not so much, I thought. I was wandering around Copenhagen by myself, popped in to a corner shop, and came out with something called "Faxe Kondi", in a thick recycled plastic bottle that looked like it was about to fall apart in my hand or give me a nasty disease. Those plastic bottles don't age as well as the glass ones. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Seems like 78% of people are ok with a deposit charge on Beer/Drinks cans and bottles.

Hope the "Green" goverment see the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Fago! wrote: »
    Out government are too stupid/incompetent/fat/useless to do anything worth doing!

Because there hasn't been a road built, a school constructed or a hospital equipted in the past 40 years.

I would support the charge in principle, but in practise I find it hard...what If the beer I am buying costs more because of the glass? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It works great in other countries, but I cannot see it working here, somebody would be scamming, retailers wouldn't like it, neither would the drinks companies... I find it to be a great scheme. It really does reduce the price of drink and the likes.

Then you will have the fcukers in government banning this as they will claim it will lead to binge drinking, in order to protect their publican friends from losses.

It works great in other countries, but I cannot see it working here, somebody would be scamming, retailers wouldn't like it, neither would the drinks companies... I find it to be a great scheme. It really does reduce the price of drink and the likes.

Then you will have the fcukers in government banning this as they will claim it will lead to binge drinking, in order to protect their publican friends from losses.

What does a 15c deposit on a can of beer have to do with binge drinking? At the moment I see dozens of beer cans dumped in lanes and parks after a group of lads drinking. You can be damn sure if there were 15c per can when returned then you would not see a single can dumped anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Tbh I don't see people picking dirty cans up off the street for 20c and the type of people who throw bottles and cans on the ground wouldn't give two shits about it.

My mam always told me not to pick up cans because there was a very high chance there'd be a syringe in it.

Also your poll sucks. Where's the "It's a nice idea but I don't see it working" option?

phasers wrote: »
    Tbh I don't see people picking dirty cans up off the street for 20c and the type of people who throw bottles and cans on the ground wouldn't give two shits about it.

My mam always told me not to pick up cans because there was a very high chance there'd be a syringe in it.

Also your poll sucks. Where's the "It's a nice idea but I don't see it working" option?

Well for you there is the 4th option for you. Facts are clear... No Bottlers or Cans littered about in Germany (where they have a deposit) but there are loads in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The fourth option is not for me. You poll is just crap and biased. You may as well not have a poll at all.

Ireland isn't Germany . I somehow can't see the junkies in my local park picking up their cans when they're done and I sure as hell wouldn't touch them either.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    The fourth option is not for me. You poll is just crap and biased. You may as well not have a poll at all.

Ireland isn't Germany . I somehow can't see the junkies in my local park picking up their cans when they're done and I sure as hell wouldn't touch them either.

Well that's your opinion, Facts are facts. Junkies do pick them up because 6 empty cans will buy the a full can... (if there were a deposit on the cans..)

Ireland is not Germany that's for sure.. they have no litter, we have lots of it .

Problem is there is no incentive to return the cans or bottles so why would a junkie or youths in Ireland bother their asses picking up the cans.....

Also its not just Germany that has the deposit system, many other countries do aswell. And it does drive down the amount of litter caused by discarded Bottles and Cans.

Denmark

In Denmark the selling of aluminium beverage cans was forbidden between 1982 and 2002. However this regulation violated European Union law. Therefore the EU forced Denmark to replace it, and the new legislation, passed in 2002, was in fact a container deposit legislation. It established the following container deposits:
    • Refillable glass bottles up to and incl. 0.5 litre: 1.00 DKK
    • Refillable glass bottles over 0.5 litre: 3.00 DKK
    • Cans, glass and plastic bottles under 1 litre: 1.00 DKK
    • Exception: Plastic bottles of 0.5 litre: 1.50 DKK
    • Cans, glass and plastic bottles of 1 litre and over: 3.00 DKK

Norway

220px-Container_deposit_machine.jpg magnify-clip.png
    A Tomra reverse vending machine in Hammerfest, Norway

Similarly to the situation in Denmark, the selling of aluminium beverage cans was forbidden in Norway up until the end of the 20th century. In 1999 a container deposit legislation was passed, which also abolished this regulation. Today, there are the following container deposits in Norway:
    • Cans, glass and plastic bottles up to 0.5 litre: 1.00 NOK
    • Cans, glass and plastic bottles over 0.5 litre: 2.50 NOK
    • Bottle crates are also reverse vended.
    Norsk Resirk[7] is the non-profit system founded 3 May 1999 and co-owned by various organisations in trade and industry that handles the depositing and recycling non-refillable plastic bottles and beverage cans in Norway. The Norwegian system works in such a way that the excise tax decreases as the returns increases, meaning that for example 90 per cent returns for cans translates into a 90 per cent discount on the excise tax. This again allows drink products to be sold at lower prices.
    In 2005 93% of all recyclable bottles and 80% of all drink cans in Norway returned into the deposit and recycling system. That year also saw 280 million NOK in deposits being paid for the return of 194 million cans and 49 million bottles.
    Deposits on drink containers have a long history in Norway, starting with deposits on beer bottles in 1902. The deposit back then was 0,06 NOK (3,30 NOK in 2006 currency value). This deposit arrangement was later expanded to include soft drink bottles.
    Up until 1 January 2001 the Vinmonopolet government wine and spirits monopoly chain had deposits on products made by the company itself, this did not include imported products.
    Today drink containers can be returned and deposits retrieved at over 9,000 establishments in Norway, and there are almost 3,000 reverse vending machines where drink containers can be exchanged for receipts that can be cashed in at the counter. Most reverse vending machines in Norway are manufactured by Tomra Systems ASA.

Germany

220px-Aldi-Pfandr%C3%BCckgabeautomat.JPG magnify-clip.png
    Reverse vending machine in an Aldi supermarket in Germany.

In Germany container deposit legislation, known as Pfand or Einwegpfand (single-use deposit), was passed in 2002, and was implemented on 1 January 2003.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I However, its implementation was fought by lobby groups of German bottling industry and retailers. This fight also included trials at the Federal Administrative Court of Germany and the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany, but all trials were won by the German federal government.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I The deposit legislation does not cover containers for fruit juice, wine, spirits, liquors, and certain dietary drinks.
    The standard deposit for all single-use containers (cans, single-use glass and plastic bottles): 0.25
    Before 2002, there also were various (still existing) deposit systems for re-usable bottles, e.g. for beer or carbonated water bottles. The deposits for reusable bottles are not regulated by law since they are the private business of the individual beverage manufacturer and can therefore vary in rate. Nonetheless there are some standard rates that are widely used:I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I
    • Glass bottles for most beer and beer mixed drinks (usually up to 0.5 litre) : € 0.08
    • Reusable glass and plastic bottles for most soft drinks (usually up to 2 litres): € 0.15
    • Reusable glass bottles of a special kind and design (usually flip-top bottles for beer): between € 0.15 - € 0.50
    Before introduction of the Euro, deposit was 15 Pfennig for reusable (beer) glass-bottles and usually 30 Pfennig for reusable glass and plastic bottles.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I

alex73 wrote: »
    What does a 15c deposit on a can of beer have to do with binge drinking? At the moment I see dozens of beer cans dumped in lanes and parks after a group of lads drinking. You can be damn sure if there were 15c per can when returned then you would not see a single can dumped anywhere.

I am not claiming it has anything to do with binge drinking, but I can see some tossers in government suggesting that it will as it reduces the cost of the product, which it does.

You think it's going to clear up that much rubbish? It would if people with little or no money were to collect the cans/bottles. Either way, it's mainly for the bottles so they can be reused. In Belgium at least they don't do this for cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I am not claiming it has anything to do with binge drinking, but I can see some tossers in government suggesting that it will as it reduces the cost of the product, which it does.

No it doesn't. An extra charge would be applied in the first place to all products and this would be refunded upon return of the can/bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 auldwan

Edit: Nevermind

auldwan wrote: »
    15c is quite a lot to give out for each bottle and can bought in this country. How about impose a tax on the purchase of non-biodegradable bottles that will offset the 15c, and have no such tax on biodegradable bottles

How about do a better job in our Schools of teaching kids not to littler and have a bit of respect for their surroundings and learn some civic pride? Jesus, not as if we don't have enough extra stealth taxes already.

segaBOY wrote: »
    No it doesn't. An extra charge would be applied in the first place to all products and this would be refunded upon return of the can/bottle.

Well the way I understand it to be is they brought in the incentive to return bottles by giving them cheaper products on return of old ones. You buy your 24 bottles of stella for 15 quid. That's the price, unless you have a crate of empty bottles of stella and if that's the case you get the crate for about 11 euro. There is no "fee" or increase in price. Otherwise why the hell would you buy the crate? Better to give people money off when they return it and keep the prices as they are.

Well the way I understand it to be is they brought in the incentive to return bottles by giving them cheaper products on return of old ones. You buy your 24 bottles of stella for 15 quid. That's the price, unless you have a crate of empty bottles of stella and if that's the case you get the crate for about 11 euro. There is no "fee" or increase in price. Otherwise why the hell would you buy the crate? Better to give people money off when they return it and keep the prices as they are.

How do you think this one would be funded? Our cash strapped public purse? If you look at the thread title it's a "returnable charge".

Just like the "Producer Recycling Fund" for electronics the consumer ended up paying in order to return their goods.

The money for this project would have to come from somewhere. More than likely it would be an extra charge levied on all glass bottles/cans which would be refunded upon returning the bottles/cans to the designated centre.

• Advertisement

How do you think this one would be funded? Our cash strapped public purse? If you look at the thread title it's a "returnable charge".

Just like the "Producer Recycling Fund" for electronics the consumer ended up paying in order to return their goods.

The money for this project would have to come from somewhere. More than likely it would be an extra charge levied on all glass bottles/cans which would be refunded upon returning the bottles/cans to the designated centre.

With people recycling more, the production costs would decrease, now this would really only benifit the brewers/producers.

Fine these companies that don't use over a certain percentage of recycled goods? Force them to create incentives for people to bring these bottles back?

Not sure who funds it in Belgium and the likes, but if beer increased in price for this, I couldn't see it working as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In the Czech Republic you get 6 Czech crowns back for a bottle of beer(not sure what it is for wine bottles). A few weeks go tesco had a special offer. 10 bottles of Starobrno(a really good beer) for 100 crowns(bout 4 euro). I bought them, drank them, and returned them and got 60 crowns back(2 and a bit euro).

That was an exceptional situation, but normally one bottle of beer goes from between 10 and 25 crowns per bottle.

At one stage when money was tight I walked round town looking for beer bottles that I could recycle, only I could not find them because people(possibly ones more desperate for cash than me) had already picked them up.

In Ireland I say yeah! Definitely. Ok in Ireland beer is more expensive, but even if 15 cans returned equaled one back, I think people would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

I remember this working in the UK when I was a kid, I used to love taking the glass lemonade bottles back to the shop then spending the return money on sweets :D

It works so well in Germany, many times I've been to parties in parks and everyone leaves their empty bottles in a pile which homeless guys then come and collect - OK they probably spend the money on beer which isn't ideal but it means they don't beg as much AND the parks and streets are clean.

It would be a great way to get rid of so many of the crap plastic drinks bottles too - glass is surely more recycle-friendly and much healthier for us all!

Well that's my two cents anyway, now, back to my non-returnable can of beer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

where I live I care for the area and try my best to look after it, as most people do also. But it annoys me to see some people who throw can's bottles and other items anywhere.

I think a charge on all these items would make good sense and maybe people will not be so mindless in the way they throw their litter around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It'd be a great idea, which is why it would never be introduced here.
    But it already was introduced here before. Dunno why so many ignorant people are saying it would never work when it already was in operation, have they never heard of milkbottles? same system really.
    when i was a kid you could get 10p return on a glass lemonade bottle
    +1 I remember feeding bottles into a machine in cournelscourt shopping centre, then I think you got a receipt and got some money back. I don't think it was dependent on the bottle either, I remember putting different ones in.

They should be resued, not recycled -melting down glass costs a fortune. Milk bottles are reused and were very popular at one stage here. I have even seen strong PET bottles being reused in some countries.

With people recycling more, the production costs would decrease, now this would really only benifit the brewers/producers.

Fine these companies that don't use over a certain percentage of recycled goods? Force them to create incentives for people to bring these bottles back?

Not sure who funds it in Belgium and the likes, but if beer increased in price for this, I couldn't see it working as well.

I agree with both points, however I can only see them knocking a couple of cent off per can at most if they are just paying for material to be recycled.

Imagine all the cost that would have to go into running collection services and recycling the material.

Good idea, but I fear they may only be able to "refund" the customer an adequate amount in order to give the incentive for people to actually bring the cans/bottles back by levying the product and then giving a rebate once the bottles are returned.

Just my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

It should be more than 15c.

piby wrote: »
    It should be more than 15c.

Who's going to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Who's going to pay for it?

The buyer does, at the point of sale. You pay 15c extra and get it back for returning the bottle for recycling.

Do try to keep up.

• Advertisement

Bucklesman wrote: »
    The buyer does, at the point of sale. You pay 15c extra and get it back for returning the bottle for recycling.

Do try to keep up.

Exactly what I said in my previous posts, just some people seem to think this would lead to cheaper beer while in effect it would simply refund a new levy that is being imposed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement