Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus service changes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

why?

if people used it properly and transferred to a 145 in Bray then there wouldn't be an issue with the 84.

Extending it cut the frequency in half, a poor trade-off IMO. People just needed to get used to the fact that the 84 was going to be a feeder but, just like the 184 and 185 to faster high frequency routes like the 145. But the feckin councillor had to stick their noses in it and make a mess of everything :mad:

Councillors - I would suggest that people complain to members of Greystones Town Council about this

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/TownCouncils/gtcMembers.aspx

Ciaran Hayden - Fianna Fail

Address: 1 Thornbury Road,
    Delgany Wood,
    Greystones,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 01 2875095

Tom Fortune - The Labour Party
    Address: 'DeLacey',
    Sea Road,
    Kilcoole,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 01 2876135
    Email: TFortune@wicklowcoco.ie

Chris Maloney - Non Party
    Address: 78 Woodstock,
    Kilcoole,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 01 2875492

Kathleen Kelleher - Fianna Fail
    Address: 27 Rathdown ,
    Greystones,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 01 2875327
    Email: KKelleher@wicklowcoco.ie

James O'Sullivan - Fine Gael
    Address: 'The Croft',
    New Road,
    Greystones,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 087 2123475
    Email: james@jamesosullivan.ie

Stephen Stokes - The Labour Party
    Address: 33 Kindlestown Park,
    Greystones,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 087 6420685
    Email: stephenjstokes@yahoo.com

George Jones - Fine Gael
    Address: 2 la Touche Close,
    Greystones,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 01 2875678
    Email: GJJones@wicklowcoco.ie

Derek Mitchell - Fine Gael
    Address: 'Kiltoorish',
    Manor Avenue,
    Greystones,
    Co.Wicklow
    Phone: 01 2874115
    Email: mitchelld@eircom.net

Simon Harris - Fine Gael 79 Redford Park,
    Greystones,
    Co. Wicklow
    Phone: 086 0759984
    Email: sharris@wicklowcoco.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why? because firstly DB are alienating the people that use their service. The 84 service goes back more than 25 years that I remember being on it. Stopping it in UCD or Cherrywood or wherever doesn't make the travel times of people from the city any better, actually it will probably take longer as they will have to leave town earlier to ensure they catch the 84. The 84 wont be waiting for people to arrive from the Luas at cherry wood, it wont be waiting for people in Bray when they disembark in main st, just like it doesnt wait for the last dart in Greystones. If your Luas is late into Cherrywood what the hell are you going to do there for the next hour or so?
    what bearing doe how long the bus has been around have on anything. the 145 is around only 5 years or so and is one of the best and most popular in the city...
    The best and most comfortable way for people to reach Greystones or Kilcoole or Newcastle etc was to board a bus in Eden Quay and be assured they had a seat and weren't going to be out in the cold waiting for another service midway.
    It appears to me that 50% of the people who get the 84 from Kilcoole during the day are elderly people or young mothers with kids they dont need the hassle of changing buses to be quite honest. Change for changes sake.
    the best way is DART/145 and change to a properly co-ordinated feeder bus lat Bray or Greystoens, which is what the 185 and 84 should be. The original change was a good idea, more efficient route and usage of resources.
    what bearing doe how long the bus has been around have on anything. the 145 is around only 5 years or so and is one of the best and most popular in the city...

Tha nature of the fare system doesn't not really help the situation but this aside people, especially in outlying areas need to get used to a modern concept of changing services. All modern functioning bus networks outside of Dublin work like this and its about time we started catching up (though we're not going to with interference like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

So much for trying to find a way not to have to drive from Bray to city centre, Dart is a dead loss as door to door time is over 1.5 hours each way and jammers, wasn't there a bus (something X)) from the southern cross that went straight to dublin without the mystery tour?
    - can't find any mention of it any more but I was hoping to try it to beat the Tuesday traffic madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah the 84x still runs. Goes up the southern cross, avoiding Bray/Shankill saving about half an hour. Timetable is here

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

It is a joke tho that 84 dont go to town anymore...I smell corruption!!! what about the trinners people huh??? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,245 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

popzmaster wrote: »
    It is a joke tho that 84 dont go to town anymore...I smell corruption!!! what about the trinners people huh??? :P

Off at Cherrywood and Luas it in. Always best option! Isn't there a bus and Luas type ticket around.

You ever heard of changing buses - the 145s are more frequent now as well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    You ever heard of changing buses - the 145s are more frequent now as well

Only if you can get one, sorry advanced bookings only sir!;)

SickCert wrote: »
    Only if you can get one, sorry advanced bookings only sir!;)
    its 10 minutes to the next one then!

Terry Pratchet

in thoery, in practice it's working out quite differently, have a look in C&T. The 145 is a shambles at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

We can squeeze you in on Friday afternoons no problem!:P

Mushy wrote: »
    Off at Cherrywood and Luas it in. Always best option! Isn't there a bus and Luas type ticket around.

not until the 15th ;)

and be aware the bus-stop is not really anywhere near to the station either

not until the 15th ;)

seriously? Like how far away?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

not until the 15th ;)

What an Irish thing to do!

seriously? Like how far away?

MAP

A Cherrywood
    B Bus Stop
    C bridges Glen

Not hugely far away but considering Cherrywood is supposed to be one of Dublin Buses transfer hubs / terminus is not great really.
    One can only hope that once the area is finished off a bit more the buses will go into the estate, right up to Bridesglen terminus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Personally I'm very disappointed with these changes, especially for 84 users. It's a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Mahogany wrote: »
    Personally I'm very disappointed with these changes, especially for 84 users. It's a bummer.
    Ah sure they'll just have to get used to it, well thats what the speel is anyways.

yep, the half hourly to Cherrywood would have been a million miles better for everyone involved.

yep, the half hourly to Cherrywood would have been a million miles better for everyone involved.
    as I've said before let the councillors in Greystones know this

Terry Pratchet

I was watching tonight as an 84 bus left Bray at 9pm headed for UCD - who the hell wants to go to UCD at 9pm

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I was watching tonight as an 84 bus left Bray at 9pm headed for UCD - who the hell wants to go to UCD at 9pm

who wants to go to cherrywood at 9pm either...

it's still valid for connections to useful buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

What about the customers that might use the bus then coming in the other direction when it gets to UCD? Traffic is a two-way thing!

the timetables are really badly messed up - A scheduled 184 never arrived on Saturday at about 4pm, a scheduled 84 was half an hour late this morning - Then I changed to a 145 cause I thought the diversions through Bray and Cherrywood would be slower - It didn't work that way

Terry Pratchet

That's nothing new about scheduled 184's not arriving and 84's arriving late, admittedly the 84's are worse since the changes but 184's are the same crap service. They've always done that.

kateos2 wrote: »
    That's nothing new about scheduled 184's not arriving and 84's arriving late, admittedly the 84's are worse since the changes but 184's are the same crap service. They've always done that.

True that! By the way your Geralds Kate aren't ya?

I always found the 184 generally reliable before recent changes

Terry Pratchet

True that! By the way your Geralds Kate aren't ya?

Yep
    I always found the 184 generally reliable before recent changes

Really? I've gotten it for the last 7 years or so and find it terrible. It's always taken between 15 minutes and an hour to get to Greystones. I find around lunchtime that they just decide not to turn up. There have been so many times I've spent over an hour waiting for one, before one decides to show up. I haven't noticed any major differences since the changes came in.

I was on an 84 this morning that bypassed Bray Dart Station, Cherrywood and Stillorgan Village, so they're obviously not sticking to the new routes, very few go through Stillorgan village.

Yep

Really? I've gotten it for the last 7 years or so and find it terrible. It's always taken between 15 minutes and an hour to get to Greystones. I find around lunchtime that they just decide not to turn up. There have been so many times I've spent over an hour waiting for one, before one decides to show up. I haven't noticed any major differences since the changes came in.

Thought so!!

And yea I have family out in greystones and we used to go out every weekend when we were younger and both the 184 and the 84 were absolutely atrocious!! It was usually a Sunday but that's not really any excuse for being like an hour late :p

Advertisement