Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus service changes

Options
  • 26-04-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Stillorgan/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5998/Stillorgan.pdf

I notice that there are changes to Dublin Bus routes - what does "direct through Bray Main Street" mean? - No Bus stops on the main street? No going around the quinsboro and florence road?

Route 145 will offer an all day high frequency connection to Heuston Station.

Route 84 will offer an all day service to the Luas terminus at Cherrywood
    More Direct Services

Route 145 will operate direct through Bray Main Street with a time saving of approximately 10 minutes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I notice that there are changes to Dublin Bus routes - what does "direct through Bray Main Street" mean? - No Bus stops on the main street?
    No. It just means it won't go via the station any more.

See http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055890836 from page 20 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Alun wrote: »
    No. It just means it won't go via the station any more.

See http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055890836 from page 20 onwards.

Will all the other routes still go via the station; 45, 45a, 84, 184 and 185?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No idea.

Alun wrote: »
    No idea.

Presumably they will - just looked at it again - the 84 goes via the DART

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

So any changes for the 184 and 84 routes?

• Advertisement

So any changes for the 184 and 84 routes?

It is proposed that the 84 ends at cherrywood luas stop

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Nooooooooooo..

edit: actually if that means more frequent service then yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Not yay, the 84 should be made more frequent and keep going to town. Very irritating for people from newcastle, kilcoole and greystones to get to the city centre, or places not along the dart line.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Not yay, the 84 should be made more frequent and keep going to town. Very irritating for people from newcastle, kilcoole and greystones to get to the city centre, or places not along the dart line.

Well it is more frequent and I think that if you buy travel 90 tickets it's easier - for example you can get an 84 to Bray and you can then get a 145 to the city centre - for €1.80 - also it links up with the luas making that accessible as well. It's not ideal but it's an improved timetable which is good

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

kateos2 wrote: »

To do that would require more buses and drivers. By shortening the route the 84 can be made more frequent using the same resources.

If the 145 is made more reliable by having every bus taking the same route and none deviating to go via the station, then it should be possible to make the connection with a maximum 10 minute wait.

As Johnnymcg says, the Travel 90 ticket offers a EUR 1.80 fare for such a trip.

The other routes (45/45a/184/185) will probably be covered by a later stage of the review when the Rock Road services and Dundrum area (44 etc.) come up for review.

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/WicklowStillorgan-Roadshow/
    Phase 1 of the Network Direct Project involves changes to services in North Wicklow/Stillorgan Road N11 and we would like to invite customers in the area to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following date:

Bray – Bray DART Station, Tuesday June 15th, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

It's going as far as Belfield it seems but with a stop at Cherrywood. Very annoying, there is only one bus from Bray now that will bring you into the city centre, the 145. It's going to be every ten minutes but will now go through Stillorgan which can put a good ten minutes more on to the journey. Also, the 145 coming from Heuston will mean the bus is likely to be jammers before it even gets out of the city centre, it's usually jammers as it is. Are the fares going up again?

It's going as far as Belfield it seems but with a stop at Cherrywood. Very annoying, there is only one bus from Bray now that will bring you into the city centre, the 145. It's going to be every ten minutes but will now go through Stillorgan which can put a good ten minutes more on to the journey. Also, the 145 coming from Heuston will mean the bus is likely to be jammers before it even gets out of the city centre, it's usually jammers as it is. Are the fares going up again?

Check again -

•Route 84 will operate to UCD Belfield via Cherrywood Luas and Stillorgan.
    •Routes 46a and 145 will operate via Stillorgan Village bypass at all times seven days a week.

The 145 will use the bypass. Therefore no change in journey time. Bringing the 145 to Heuston opens up a lot of new potential trips - there are a lot of people wanting to go from Heuston to the south city CBD and this makes sense. The only time it will be significantly busy heading south will be the morning peak, but even then there should be a lot of people getting off at Bachelors Walk and D'Olier Street.

No fare increases are planned at the moment.

Stillorgan/ North Wicklow
    Monday, September 13, 2010
    Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the first phase of the Network Direct project.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
    Starting on the 19th of September a more direct, high frequency, punctual bus service is coming to N11 Stillorgan, Dún Laoghaire, Bray and North Wicklow with improved cross city connections. Please Click (http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5998/Stillorgan%20Corridor%20Map%20Final%20Version%2002%2009%202010%20copy.pdf) to view a diagram or here to see FAQ's on services in these areas.

Quicker journey times
    Quicker journey times to key destinations.

High frequency services
    Routes 46a and 145 will have weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better until 21:00.

Improved connections for customers
    Route 46a will provide a high frequency connection between Dún Laoghaire and the
    Phoenix Park via Belfield, Luas Green line, Luas Red line, the Mater Hospital and Phibsboro.
    Route 145 will provide a high frequency connection to Heuston Station from North
    Wicklow, Shankill, Cabinteely, Stillorgan and UCD Belfield.
    The extended route 47 will offer an all day service from Stepaside to Pearse Street via
    Stillorgan Village, St Vincent’s University Hospital and Ballsbridge.

Route Improvements
    Route 46a will be more direct. It will operate on the new Kill Avenue/Kill Lane QBC and use the Stillorgan bypass at all times, giving journey time savings of up to 15 minutes.

Route 63 will provide a connection between Dún Laoghaire, Monkstown Farm,
    Cornelscourt, the Luas and Kilternan.

Route 4 will be extended to Monkstown Avenue providing connections to Blackrock, Ballsbridge, City Centre, DCU and IKEA.

Route 145 will provide a more direct service, saving approximately 10 minutes, by operating via Bray Main street.

Route 47 will now operate to the City Centre.

Route 84 will serve the Luas at Cherrywood before continuing to Stillorgan Village and UCD Belfield.

Journey times will now be significantly improved with trips to the city centre from Dún Laoghaire and Bray taking on average less than 55 minutes.

Routes 46x and 746 will no longer operate. Alternative services can be used:
    46x – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a or Airlink service to travel to Dublin Airport.

746 – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a, Airlink in service for travel to Dublin airport.

* Customers should please note that the amalgamation of Routes 39a/10 will take place in October.

Timetable Changes
    All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. route 46a will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street and UCD Belfield making it easier to plan your journey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Great the 84 is going via Bray Station Every Journey :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Great the 84 is going via Bray Station Every Journey :rolleyes:

...and if that's not tedious enough, it also goes via Cherrywood Luas and Stillorgan Village. Expect passenger numbers to fall rapidly, thus paving the way for future cuts service improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Thankfully I dont have to take the 84 anymore, but I did for about 15 years, and this new change to the route is a joke. Most people who get on this service in Kilcoole, or Greystones go to either Bray or to town. People are gonna be real happy to be ousted from a bus in Bray or Belfield in the lashing rain in Winter to wait for a 145 that in the morning is jammers anyway. It would have made sense to put an 84a like was tried years ago running between Newcastle and Bray station to complement the 84. But I understand the transport bodies in our country are at odds with making sensible decisions.

Thankfully I dont have to take the 84 anymore, but I did for about 15 years, and this new change to the route is a joke. Most people who get on this service in Kilcoole, or Greystones go to either Bray or to town. People are gonna be real happy to be ousted from a bus in Bray or Belfield in the lashing rain in Winter to wait for a 145 that in the morning is jammers anyway. It would have made sense to put an 84a like was tried years ago running between Newcastle and Bray station to complement the 84. But I understand the transport bodies in our country are at odds with making sensible decisions.

I think people are going to have to get used to changing to the 145 or the LUAS at Cherrywood.

The 145 is going to be every 10 minutes and the reliability greatly improved given none of the buses will now deviate to serve Bray station. This latter move means that at various times of the day there is a 20 minute gap in service inbound between Bray and the city before two buses come together.

That pattern will eradicate so that a consistent 10 minute service should now result. People need to adjust their travel patterns. The 84x is still there in the peaks.

KC61 wrote: »
    I think people are going to have to get used to changing to the 145 or the LUAS at Cherrywood.
    seamlessly moving from bus to Luas using the intergrated ticketing system .............oh maybe not. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

dont even get us started on this, the changes are ridiculous. cant get on a bus as they dont stop now by the time they get to leeson st, they are full. there is no way to get on an 84x as they are chocker with people who would usually have gotten a different bus down the N11 but now hopping on the 84X as their own services are infrequent or full.

this is a shambles, i complained to dublin bus and they said they'd be rectifying it but god knows when that will happen

does anyone know who our local TD is (i'm not from the area) that might do something about this?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

dont even get us started on this, the changes are ridiculous. cant get on a bus as they dont stop now by the time they get to leeson st, they are full. there is no way to get on an 84x as they are chocker with people who would usually have gotten a different bus down the N11 but now hopping on the 84X as their own services are infrequent or full.

this is a shambles, i complained to dublin bus and they said they'd be rectifying it but god knows when that will happen

does anyone know who our local TD is (i'm not from the area) that might do something about this?

thanks

I thought that was just me. The 84x's have been completely mental all week. I get the 7.40 on to UCD, and there's usually maybe 1 or 2 people standing, but today and yesterday, it's been completely full. It's even worse trying to get it home. On Monday evening, the driver let way too much people on at UCD, it was like standing in the pit at a concert it was so packed!

Its no surprise that its not working. I must say I how I laughed when I read in the wicklow times how the new 84 service was only extended to ucd as a result of a couple of elected representatives being in college there. The original route should be re-instated immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

got the 84 on monday to go to work, its usually late leaving kilcoole anyway but was almost 20 mins late, hmm dont think ill be able to depend on it to get me to work in time anymore, poor bus driver was apoligisning to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I agree, I belive that 2 of the 84x 's have not turned up in the mornings, maybe the 7.15/7.20 ( leaving kilcoole)
    Also, the Newtown 84x has been cancelled ( to the best of my knowledge), so the 5.30 leaving Eden Quay is CHOCKERS

Another poster recommeded ring the garage and asking complaining, as the Unions are monitoring the public response :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its no surprise that its not working. I must say I how I laughed when I read in the wicklow times how the new 84 service was only extended to ucd as a result of a couple of elected representatives being in college there. The original route should be re-instated immediately.

why?

if people used it properly and transferred to a 145 in Bray then there wouldn't be an issue with the 84.

Extending it cut the frequency in half, a poor trade-off IMO. People just needed to get used to the fact that the 84 was going to be a feeder but, just like the 184 and 185 to faster high frequency routes like the 145. But the feckin councillor had to stick their noses in it and make a mess of everything :mad:

Merrilady wrote: »
    I agree, I belive that 2 of the 84x 's have not turned up in the mornings, maybe the 7.15/7.20 ( leaving kilcoole)
    Also, the Newtown 84x has been cancelled ( to the best of my knowledge), so the 5.30 leaving Eden Quay is CHOCKERS

Another poster recommeded ring the garage and asking complaining, as the Unions are monitoring the public response :eek:

Does the 17.30 departure have people standing or is it just full?

Is it leaving people behind?

why?

if people used it properly and transferred to a 145 in Bray then there wouldn't be an issue with the 84.

Extending it cut the frequency in half, a poor trade-off IMO. People just needed to get used to the fact that the 84 was going to be a feeder but, just like the 184 and 185 to faster high frequency routes like the 145. But the feckin councillor had to stick their noses in it and make a mess of everything :mad:
    Why? because firstly DB are alienating the people that use their service. The 84 service goes back more than 25 years that I remember being on it. Stopping it in UCD or Cherrywood or wherever doesn't make the travel times of people from the city any better, actually it will probably take longer as they will have to leave town earlier to ensure they catch the 84. The 84 wont be waiting for people to arrive from the Luas at cherry wood, it wont be waiting for people in Bray when they disembark in main st, just like it doesnt wait for the last dart in Greystones. If your Luas is late into Cherrywood what the hell are you going to do there for the next hour or so?

The best and most comfortable way for people to reach Greystones or Kilcoole or Newcastle etc was to board a bus in Eden Quay and be assured they had a seat and weren't going to be out in the cold waiting for another service midway.
    It appears to me that 50% of the people who get the 84 from Kilcoole during the day are elderly people or young mothers with kids they dont need the hassle of changing buses to be quite honest. Change for changes sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

KC61 wrote: »
    Does the 17.30 departure have people standing or is it just full?

Is it leaving people behind?

I dont think it is leaving people behind ( not that I saw anyway ) but it is standing room only pulling away from Leeson street. I dont know if its letting people on at Waterloo road / Burlington

• Advertisement

No - I think the proposal to have it every half hour and terminate at Cherrywood would have been much better - You can get off as it is anywhere along the route from Bray onwards and hop on another bus into town such as a 145 (now 10 minutes frequency) or 46a or many other routes

Because the UCD councillors lobbied for it to go onto UCD this means the frequency stays at every hour :mad:

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement