Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Marathon 2010

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Running Half Myself on Sunday in Longford. Heading across from Galway.
    Any word on how many are running half and full this year. Has the new Galway race reduced numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good luck in the morning everyone running. Hope its not 2 hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck all tomorrow :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just got my uncles time for the half. He ran 1'32'08, he's 60 :eek:
    I really am a fat lazy shlt :D

3.32 for me.
    any news on theboyblunder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Came out to cheer everyone along around the the first relay changeover point. The town was a lot busier with support last year when I ran through it. Today there was just me clapping everyone along. Just hope there was more support along the way.

Got photos of as much as I could. No expert, but they look alright. I'll try to figure out how to upload them somewhere and maybe get them on racepix or something.

Was good to see the familiar faces, but a bit frustrating seeing them from the sideline. Felt like joining in when everyone went past.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Well done to all in Longford for another very well organised race.
    Lovely food afterwards also. Just under 1hr47 for me. That damned Sub 1hr45 will have to wait til next time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Ath36 wrote: »
    Well done to all in Longford for another very well organised race.
    Lovely food afterwards also. Just under 1hr47 for me. That damned Sub 1hr45 will have to wait til next time

I broke the 1:45 but I would like to echo your comments re the food afterwards top class and well done to the ladies involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    3.32 for me.
    any news on theboyblunder?

He got 3:05 in the end. Sounded tough up there!

christeb wrote: »
    He got 3:05 in the end. Sounded tough up there!

It was the same friday. headwind from about mile 2 till 8 then periodically throughout the race for a couple of miles at a time. Funny thing is when we should have got the benifit we were generally in cover. Plus the sun came out to say hello. Enough to derail a sub 3 attempt if you are on the margains. Better luck next time bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Middle Distance

Hi anyone got the results of these. If so I would be grateful if they could post here when they get a chance. Looks like there was a tough headwind for the races yesterday - what a shame!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Middle Distance, The results are now up on the website www.longfordmarathon.com.

I did the marathon yesterday and really enjoyed the experience. It was my second marathon overall and second in Longford. As a local I know I might be biased but I thought the atmosphere, course, goody bag and in particular the race organization was very good. There were numerous water stations and all junctions were very well marshaled. The conditions were interesting. It started off pretty fresh with a lively breeze (headwind unfortunately) and there is was even quite a heavy shower early on. However before too long the sun came out and was ultimately beating down for the majority of the race. Although it wasn't a particularly warm day it felt that way due to the sun exposure and I have ample sunburn to prove it! The wind subsided later on too which did not particularly help as it would have been behind our backs for the latter part of the race.

The race for me went pretty well. I didn't want to go for too much beforehand but in the end I was well pleased with my time. I did the first half in about 1.41.00 and then picked it up a bit for my fastest section of the race between about 13 and 19 miles. Mile 19 - 20 is slightly but steadily uphill and I lost a bit of juice there but still made it home in a reasonably comfortable state. I managed to come in about 3.20.00 (just under that by my watch which I will claim :D) and more pleasantly 16th place! It also represented negative splits which I suppose is a good thing. The 'ambitious' aim now is to go for 3.15 in my first Dublin marathon in October. I am aware that I may not have fully recovered from this race by then but i'll give it a go.

Commiserations to theboyblunder but I'd say that the less than ideal weather conditions would not have helped. The overall results in the full marathon seemed to be down too which suggests the sun made the going tough in the latter stages. There were a lot more Sub 3's last year. Still 3.05 is within touching distance.

Also well done to Oisin. 17 minutes quicker on Sunday after the same trek two days previous. I guess the its true that the buzz of race day really makes a huge difference.

Advertisement