Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Yeah France have a maximum of 7 teams. It doesn't matter whether Biarritz or Toulouse win it. But that also depends on Toulon winning the Amlin. If Cardiff win the Scarlets will make it.

If Toulon win I really don't know what happens. The place will go to either Gloucester or Scarlets but I'm not sure how they'll decide which. But Connacht won't qualify anyway.

If Toulon win the extra place goes to Gloucester who will be the highest erc ranked non qualified team:

HEINEKEN CUP QUALIFICATION
    Another significant boost for the tournament sees the winner of the Amlin ChallengeCup, who will continue to qualify for the following season’s Heineken Cup, also earn anadditional Heineken Cup spot for the country of the winner.

From the 2009/10 season both the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup winnerswill qualify automatically for the following season’s Heineken Cup and will each earn anextra Heineken Cup spot for their countries – over and above their guaranteedallocations.

However, England and France, who have six automatic places, will only be allowed amaximum of seven teams, so
    if either country wins both the Heineken Cup andAmlin Challenge Cup the second additional spot will pass on to the club with thehighest ERC European Ranking who has not already qualified from any of the other five nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

cityman 18 wrote: »
    Being in Dublin quite a bit, i see regularly the marketing machine that goes on behind Leinster. There are these massive billboards all over the city and adds in the radio, papers etc.....compared to the small pieces of paper that are stuck to a piece of wood and placed in a few areas around Galway. The difference couldn't be more stark.

Was thinking the same thing, if Connacht started advertising a bit more on the university campus for instance they could be tapping 100s of potential new fans. I went to two games this season, mainly because I heard about them far enough in advance to get interested and have a bit of buzz around them. I'd like to go to about a game a month next year, considering I'm still on a student budget, but imo Connacht need to remind Galway that they exist on a weekly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Was thinking the same thing, if Connacht started advertising a bit more on the university campus for instance they could be tapping 100s of potential new fans. I went to two games this season, mainly because I heard about them far enough in advance to get interested and have a bit of buzz around them. I'd like to go to about a game a month next year, considering I'm still on a student budget, but imo Connacht need to remind Galway that they exist on a weekly basis.

It's a fantastic idea guys but you have to remember that Connacht have no advertising budget. it's a struggle to get money for those posters that you see around the place. Connacht have nowhere near the the budget or manpower of Leinster for advertising.

if you want info - sign up to Connacht Rugby's facebook page and/or their weekly newsletter. They have proved to be the best method of getting info to fans in a quick and cost free manner.

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    It's a fantastic idea guys but you have to remember that Connacht have no advertising budget. it's a struggle to get money for those posters that you see around the place. Connacht have nowhere near the the budget or manpower of Leinster for advertising.

if you want info - sign up to Connacht Rugby's facebook page and/or their weekly newsletter. They have proved to be the best method of getting info to fans in a quick and cost free manner.

eh, I don't see any posters, that's the problem. The point was that they're missing out on new people by not advertising, even if they tried it out for a few months they might recoup their money and then some if they put some effort into it. There's no point in me signing up to the facebook page if we're talking about getting other people into the sportsground. I appreciate that Connacht don't have much money but they aren't an amateur club, there must be enough to have someone drive out to NUIG/Westside and put up a few posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

just a quick point. there's a poster for every home game available for print out on the official site. people & businesses can print them out themselves for free and put them up in their own workplace etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

eh, I don't see any posters, that's the problem. The point was that they're missing out on new people by not advertising, even if they tried it out for a few months they might recoup their money and then some if they put some effort into it. There's no point in me signing up to the facebook page if we're talking about getting other people into the sportsground. I appreciate that Connacht don't have much money but they aren't an amateur club, there must be enough to have someone drive out to NUIG/Westside and put up a few posters.

I think you're missing the point Brian. Posters cost money to print, there simply isn't the money there. If its a choice between paying a physio or a player, and printing posters, the decision is easy. Comparing Connacht to Leinster, with a huge fanbase and budget, is not appropriate. Perhaps comparing them to Galway United might be more accurate. I don't see too many GUFC posters around either.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point Brian. Posters cost money to print, there simply isn't the money there. If its a choice between paying a physio or a player, and printing posters, the decision is easy. Comparing Connacht to Leinster, with a huge fanbase and budget, is not appropriate. Perhaps comparing them to Galway United might be more accurate. I don't see too many GUFC posters around either.

No promotion, no increased revenue, no possibility of progression. Something has to change or it'll more of the same for the foreseeable future. Advertising,especially in a recession, is too often seen as a luxury when really it is a necessity.

Why cant the Connacht branch do a bit of free advertising and give away free match tickets(they have plenty to spare) to schools, groups and clubs. Look at Leinster's recent ticket give away during the airport closures as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Exiled2NY

About 3/4 years ago Connacht definitely did advertise the games using posters. There definitely used to be posters on the sides of all the roads leading into the city. Not sure if this practice has been discarded

Why cant the Connacht branch do a bit of free advertising and give away free match tickets(they have plenty to spare) to schools, groups and clubs. Look at Leinster's recent ticket give away during the airport closures as an example.
    They give away huge volumes to schoolkids when the YDOs/RDO's are out doing training sessions with the schools.

the clubs of connacht have been offered tickets at reduced prices so they can sell them at at full price to make some money for the club at the same time. almost none of the clubs took up on this offer.

Any sports and social club that contact the branch 2 days before a home match with a group of 10 or more people will get a discount on the ticket prices.
    Exiled2NY wrote: »
    About 3/4 years ago Connacht definitely did advertise the games using posters. There definitely used to be posters on the sides of all the roads leading into the city. Not sure if this practice has been discarded
    there are placards on the roads out of the city and posters given to most of the pubs in the city center. due to some ancient laws, posters can't legally be put up wherever they want around the city center.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

When Paddy Reilly was SU president, tickets used to be sold in the Union. I'm note entirely sure why this has stopped but it should happen again.

I agree that what Leinster or Munster spend on marketing would probably pay the salary of a Connacht starting 15 but there are little things that can be done. It was impossible for me to make the game last Friday but was there anything done beforehand to start promoting next years season tickets?

I've often gone up to the office at lunch to buy tickets and had to leave empty handed because there wasn't a soul there. Marie Celeste style. Much as I'd have loved to spin around in Gerry Kelly's chair until someone rocked up, I had to get back to work.

While we're on the topic of shooting yourself in the foot, I wrote Gerry Kelly a letter last year explaining that I wasn't renewing my season ticket as the pricing point meant that if I missed 2 games, I was down in monetary terms and there wasn't much else by way of ancillary benefit like previous seasons. He writes back to me and gives me 2 free tickets to the Ospreys game, making me even less likely to pick up a season ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Robbo wrote: »

I agree that what Leinster or Munster spend on marketing would probably pay the salary of a Connacht starting 15 but there are little things that can be done. It was impossible for me to make the game last Friday but was there anything done beforehand to start promoting next years season tickets?

While we're on the topic of shooting yourself in the foot, I wrote Gerry Kelly a letter last year explaining that I wasn't renewing my season ticket as the pricing point meant that if I missed 2 games, I was down in monetary terms and there wasn't much else by way of ancillary benefit like previous seasons. He writes back to me and gives me 2 free tickets to the Ospreys game, making me even less likely to pick up a season ticket.

Before, I start on about season tickets, I'd first of all like to say what a professional job the Connacht Branch did last Friday.:)

However, there was no mention of season tickets the last day when it was a prime opportunity to market it and I doubt season tickets will be on sale until June or July. Fair enough they didn't know Friday whether they would be in the challenge cup or heineken cup next season which may have been a factor but they could have said something like keep an eye on the Connacht website for details of season ticket deals in the coming weeks.

However, season tickets just aren't worth it really, between TV coverage pushing games to Saturday or Sunday and re-fixed games and games that may have nothing riding on them, its hardly worth taking the chance that you won't miss a game or two during the season. It all feeds into a bigger attendance. If you can't go to a game for whatever reason, someone else may use the ticket or not but at least Connacht have the money either way.

I know Connacht feel that not enough buy st to justify having them at lower prices but if you have a season ticket you'll use it to get the value out of it. I know a couple of seasons there where there was a number of meaningless games towards the end of the season at which point I was fed up watching Connacht but I went just to get the value of the ticket.

They could still charge the same price as they are but incentivise it a bit, for example a free ticket to the two Italian games next season for st holders, half-price coupons for games against Welsh and Scottish sides etc., even a basic enough coupon deal with a few businesses in town would be pretty low cost but effective.

A bit of imagination in the st sales would be a great boost, the 2007/08 sales were by far the highest because tickets were competitively priced and despite a poor season the attendances were still good for most of that season. With the marketing side of Connacht Rugby subject to IRFU scrutiny they'd be well advised to make the season tickets an attractive proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LF1

I agree that what Leinster or Munster spend on marketing would probably pay the salary of a Connacht starting 15

I very much doubt that. Connacht have a lot of foreign players on big money. How did you reach that conclusion by the way?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

LF1 wrote: »
    I very much doubt that. Connacht have a lot of foreign players on big money. How did you reach that conclusion by the way?
    Spurious conjecture mainly. Which is as good as fact round these parts.

No I am very much not missing the point. Whatever it costs to print a couple of posters for the uni (for instance) would be recouped in the price of a pint and burger, not to mention the extra tickets that would be the purpose of the posters in the first place. Does the saying you have to spend money to make money mean nothing to people here? I saw one poster for a connacht game in the past year, on the door of one of the Harvest stores.
    Also I didn't mention Leinster at all from what I can see, so that was a pointless statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

haha... yeah Bibo, Nathan and Nikora are on the big bucks!

Brian...posters cost money. Connacht are seriously stretched money-wise. They have people doing 2 different & unrelated jobs to try and save money there.
    You are right that advertising at the Uni would be nice, but seriously do you expect many students to turn up? Discount those that are non-Connacht natives, minus those disinterested in sports, minus those who would prefer to head back to Clifden/Sligo/Whereever, minus those that don't have 20 quid, minus those that would rather save it for a pissup on Saturday with their buddies returning from Dublin/Cork/Limerick.... it's hard to market successfully to that.

Connacht have a budget of 2.5 million. A substantial amount of that goes to the squad's wages. Naoupo is apparently on 300,000 (hes been offered an increase of 150,000 to play in Japan)

Diom wrote: »

Brian...posters cost money. Connacht are seriously stretched money-wise. They have people doing 2 different & unrelated jobs to try and save money there.
    You are right that advertising at the Uni would be nice, but seriously do you expect many students to turn up? Discount those that are non-Connacht natives, minus those disinterested in sports, minus those who would prefer to head back to Clifden/Sligo/Whereever, minus those that don't have 20 quid, minus those that would rather save it for a pissup on Saturday with their buddies returning from Dublin/Cork/Limerick.... it's hard to market successfully to that.
    Perhaps it would be worth tapping the Postgrad Diploma in Marketing class or the MBA class in UCG for some placement bodies?

*facepalm* Yes I get it, Connacht are paupers, great stuff. Look how much do you seriously think its going to cost to put a poster in the lobby of the Library? there are what 16,000 students in the Uni, you think there couldn't be 20,50,100 who haven't gone to a Connacht game previously who might be persuaded to go if they were made aware of Connacht's existence? No wonder the IRFU think about closing Connacht down sometimes if the above attitude is what comes from the supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

Connacht have a budget of 2.5 million. A substantial amount of that goes to the squad's wages. Naoupo is apparently on 300,000 (hes been offered an increase of 150,000 to play in Japan)

were did u get that figure from, he been offered 250000 to go to japen,

300000 would have one the country biggest earners

*facepalm* Yes I get it, Connacht are paupers, great stuff. Look how much do you seriously think its going to cost to put a poster in the lobby of the Library? there are what 16,000 students in the Uni, you think there couldn't be 20,50,100 who haven't gone to a Connacht game previously who might be persuaded to go if they were made aware of Connacht's existence? No wonder the IRFU think about closing Connacht down sometimes if the above attitude is what comes from the supporters.

I won't have my attitude to Connacht Rugby denigrated by you!

And no a poster in the lobby costs next to nothing. But if you knew a little more about it you'd know that there was marketing to students a while back, and that the returns were quite poor. That was the point I was trying to make. If you really want to draw students in you have to offer them tickets at next to nothing and cheap beer, and while it would be nice to subsidise that life for a few years and hope some keep up the habit of coming, Connacht do not have the money to do that.

They do have the money to put a poster in Smokies though, but that'll make next to no difference. If you are a student (you said you were right?), well then do me and other Connacht fans a favour and please print one out and stick it up. There apparently no-one else in the student body that is interested enough to do that.

• Advertisement

Don't know where your figures are from but I cannot see that being right. Maybe he'd be on 300000 after the 150 increase?

Perhaps it would be worth tapping the Postgrad Diploma in Marketing class or the MBA class in UCG for some placement bodies?

Yep Rob it would. Only unwaged placements though... I got paid on my one.

I've often gone up to the office at lunch to buy tickets and had to leave empty handed because there wasn't a soul there. Marie Celeste style. Much as I'd have loved to spin around in Gerry Kelly's chair until someone rocked up, I had to get back to work.

yes, you called up during the lunch hour. everyone was on lunch. do you expect when people are working 9-5 not to have a lunch hour? as you said, you got one, why shouldn't people in the office not get one??

They could still charge the same price as they are but incentivise it a bit, for example a free ticket to the two Italian games next season for st holders, half-price coupons for games against Welsh and Scottish sides etc., even a basic enough coupon deal with a few businesses in town would be pretty low cost but effective.

A bit of imagination in the st sales would be a great boost, the 2007/08 sales were by far the highest because

they will still be charging the same price as last year with the inclusion of the 2 italian teams and 2 (confirmed) top class pre season friendlys (scaracens are one, i can't remember the other)

season ticket sales in 2007/08 were high because of the Connacht v South Africa match. no other reason.

and FYI the salerys that you guys are mentioning are crazy. i can only guess that you guys are pulling those numbers from thin air...

Don't know where your figures are from but I cannot see that being right. Maybe he'd be on 300000 after the 150 increase?

Ah thats it, sorry. Still 150,000 is no small change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

they will still be charging the same price as last year with the inclusion of the 2 italian teams and 2 (confirmed) top class pre season friendlys (scaracens are one, i can't remember the other)

season ticket sales in 2007/08 were high because of the Connacht v South Africa match. no other reason.

Delighted to hear that, that should make for a more competitive season ticket for 2010/11.

In relation to 07/08 no doubt the South Africa game rocketed ticket sales in 07/08 but the season ticket that season was something like 150 for 15 games(12 competitive and 3 pre-season incl. South Africa) and something like 90 for students(open to correction on those figures), this was before the price increase but it was extremely competitive and made it worthwhile enough to think that even if you missed two or three games you still got good value and that's all you want.

yes, you called up during the lunch hour. everyone was on lunch. do you expect when people are working 9-5 not to have a lunch hour? as you said, you got one, why shouldn't people in the office not get one??
    Oh come on. If there's going to be nobody there, lock the place and put a "Gone to lunch" sign on the door. Anywhere I've ever worked that had a public reception had staggered lunchtimes for people to cover the reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

you can check my post a few pages back. i was talking to George himself on Friday night after the game. I think after a few truth juices he let it slip to me that he could hardly turn down half a million. i think he said something along the lines of "what would you do for half a million?" to me. so as far as 4500000 being wrong, it's not far off being right at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Another idea to help connaught would be to play one or two games outside of Galway,

A game in Sligo etc. could help the game and bring along new supporters that may then come to Galway.

something special is happening with Rugby in the West. Ive seen people coming to games that are die hard GAA people, its a much about a good evenings entertainmnent coupled with frustration, high prices with GAA games,

evil_seed wrote: »
    you can check my post a few pages back. i was talking to George himself on Friday night after the game. I think after a few truth juices he let it slip to me that he could hardly turn down half a million. i think he said something along the lines of "what would you do for half a million?" to me. so as far as 4500000 being wrong, it's not far off being right at all
    Fair enough. I missed your post. But 450000 must be the offer from Japan.
    gally74 wrote: »
    Another idea to help connaught would be to play one or two games outside of Galway,

A game in Sligo etc. could help the game and bring along new supporters that may then come to Galway.

something special is happening with Rugby in the West. Ive seen people coming to games that are die hard GAA people, its a much about a good evenings entertainmnent coupled with frustration, high prices with GAA games,

I agree, but season-tickets holders might need some convincing (or a free bus!). Besides we already have enough people calling the sportsground, the "Showgrounds" already :P

• Advertisement

Ah thats it, sorry. Still 150,000 is no small change

I'm surprised he's even on that much to be honest. The guy couldn't get a contract anywhere, Connacht was literally his last hope.

He's been a great signing though and has really repaid Connachts faith in him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement