Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth getting a diesel car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

eddie wrote: »
    I have always avoided diesel because of the noise..... from outside it is incredible.... is this an issue for anyone else.?

Nope.

You need to try a modern diesel, it is quite far from "incredible" noise, and inside the car often quieter than a petrol when on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

If you do any kind of towing you'll want a diesel but apart from that it's personal preference IMO. I went from a petrol to a diesel recently and I'd find it hard to go back to petrol. Plus if you're buying new, most diesels are cheaper to tax due to their lower emmisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    They still have petrol models.

I Just checked again .. thatre NO Mondeo petrol models and they will not be doing them for the foreseeable future....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Diesel beats Petrol cars under all circumstances. That was my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

teednab-el wrote: »
    Diesel beats Petrol cars under all circumstances. That was my experience anyway.

lol, not in performance or servicing costs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

jock101 wrote: »
    lol, not in performance or servicing costs!
    I've just changed from a 1.8 Civic to 2.2 Accord diesel. Difficult to compare directly. I miss the 'urgency' of the petrol but like the torque of the diesel. In my case I do 25k miles per year and the savings on fuel are significant. If I was doing 20k miles or less I'd stick to the petrol but I don't really think one is necessarily better than the other performance wise for ordinary cars. They are 2 completely different driving experiences.

Advertisement