Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth getting a diesel car?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I was just wondering if it is worth getting a diesel car over a petrol car.

I don't do really big miles, lets say average miles.

Lately I was considering a E46 318 BMW 1.8 petrol - any ideas? - or will I aim for the 320d with its turbo issues?

In general is it worth getting a diesel?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kmuck

Lately I was considering a E46 318 BMW 1.8 petrol - any ideas? - or will I aim for the 320d with its turbo issues?

Hi unless you are doing 30k per year I would stay with petrol. Cleaner fuel and cleaner to use at pumps. I've had both over the years and diesel only wins when mileage is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I drive diesels all the time, saving money at the pumps everytime,easier to maintain, more miles to the tank and tougher engines imo.
    There are a few bmw fans here who would know more about the 320d, im sure you will get their views soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

If you don't do really big miles then it's not really ever going to 'save' you money. Fleet cars tend to be diesel due to high mileages. If you are doing over 30,000 km per year, then there are significant savings. But otherwise no!
    In your case the motor tax difference between a petrol 1.8 and a diesel 2.0 isn't going to be much. General 'rule' is small mileage - stay with petrol. Diesels (new cars) are still pricier to buy then their petrol equivalents, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kmuck

I agree stay with petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ive had a diesel for the past 6 months. Saving a fortune on fuel. I do very little millage. find it very good.

your going to spend alot on fuel on a 1.8 petrol compared to a 1.9 diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Does anyone know if you register a UK 2006 car with 153 emmission do you qualify for the low tax bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

If you don't do really big miles then it's not really ever going to 'save' you money. Fleet cars tend to be diesel due to high mileages. If you are doing over 30,000 km per year, then there are significant savings. But otherwise no!
    In your case the motor tax difference between a petrol 1.8 and a diesel 2.0 isn't going to be much. General 'rule' is small mileage - stay with petrol. Diesels (new cars) are still pricier to buy then their petrol equivalents, as far as I know.

My budget is 2-5k. - So from the looks of it I would be getting an older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

morrga wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you register a UK 2006 car with 153 emmission do you qualify for the low tax bracket?

Afraid not, only cars 2008 and higher. For a while at the start of the new system you could, but they soon changed the rules. My friend found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

i changed from a 1.4 petrol to a 1.6 diesel and i ended up saving alot on fuel even though i do short journeys and very little mileage. my mpg goes from about 40 mpg on short journeys up to 65mpg on longer journeys where the 1.4 petrol would struggle to get even get 40 on a long journey

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you're not doing big mileage, then I'd rather the petrol, but the right petrol engine - I wouldn't go for a 4 cylinder 3 series.
    Hi unless you are doing 30k per year I would stay with petrol.

I would say you'd see the savings a good bit before 30k (if you're talking miles).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

easier to maintain, tougher engines imo.
    More expensive to maintain, as they need more stuff changed more often (eg diesel filter). Tougher engines true, but turbos, swirl flaps and dual mass flywheels all to contend with. Higher purchase price too.

Blow one turbo and it'll take 10 years to make back the cost in fuel savings, during which time you'll probably blow another!

Yep, a DMF on an e46 320d cost me €1000. Even spurious ones were 600 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »
    Higher purchase price too.

That might be true on some new cars or if your lookign for a certain year /spec etc of car but the OP is spending a specific amount, so disregarding year, the same amount will be spent on the car , be it petrol or diesel, meaning he'll notice the 10c a litre saving and extra MPG from the first tank of diesel he puts in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

i changed from a 1.4 petrol to a 1.6 diesel and i ended up saving alot on fuel even though i do short journeys and very little mileage. my mpg goes from about 40 mpg on short journeys up to 65mpg on longer journeys where the 1.4 petrol would struggle to get even get 40 on a long journey

Same here and totally agree although i get more fuel economy when doing 90mph

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well, Diesel is now like almost 10c cheaper than petrol.
    So if you're doing high mileage then its gonna be cheaper.

But if you're doing low mileage then the smaller engine size on a petrol might save you a few more on tax and insurance than the diesel which might offset any fuel savings you make.

Also petrol cars are quieter, more responsive and generally cheaper to repair if anything goes wrong.

I wouldn't say petrol engines are more responsive - especially comparing the 320d to the 318. You might run out of revs quicker, but there's something to be said for the low end pull of the diesel.

OP, if you're not doing big miles and insurance isn't an issue, then I think you'll get best value for your money by buying a larger engine like a 323. The fuel economy won't be much worse than a 4 cyl petrol version, and will be a far better car to drive plus possibly a better spec too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

wrote:

It depends on the numbers involved.
    If you're looking at cars that are taxed by their CO2 emissions, then it starts to swing towards the diesel version.

Luckily someone's already went to the trouble of making a cost of ownership calculator.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055546516

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Ive just moved from a 1.9tdi to a 2.5 petrol 523 and the extra fuel costs with the petrol are quite a bit - probably tripling my fuel bill. The golf was nippier as well, with the 5er taking a bit of time to get going. Maybe you cant compare the two but the quoted mpg is 30 for the 523, I think the 323 is similar.

Diesels are easy to service - no spark plugs, just oil/filter + air filter and fuel filter every 2 years or so. The fuel filter is in the engine bay and a doddle to change. Regular servicing with good oil and not trashing the car until it warms up will keep the turbo in good nick.
    Luckily someone's already went to the trouble of making a cost of ownership calculator.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055546516

That excel sheet is horrific - running costs of 398.1 per month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

voxpop wrote: »

It excludes depreciation and finance costs, so the real figure is much, much higher, probably double that buying new.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I've had both many petrols and diesels over the years and the diesels for me are a better car to drive. Recently this year I've had a diesel Jetta, a 1.6 petrol Vectra and a 1.6 petrol Mondeo. The petrols would not pull you out of bed and they drink the juice compared to the Jetta. :mad:

• Advertisement

wrote:
    It's worked fine for me in the past, what numbers were you putting in to get that figure?
    It excludes depreciation and finance costs, so the real figure is much, much higher, probably double that buying new.
    No, it definetly includes depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've used that excel sheet before too. It's definitely a good idea for comparing cars.

I often toyed with the idea of a 3 litre petrol but that thing made my mind up! I'm now driving a 3 litre diesel.

No, it definetly includes depreciation

Try filling in a value of 1 euro, and then change it to 1 million euros. No effect on the monthly cost.

Try filling in a value of 1 euro, and then change it to 1 million euros. No effect on the monthly cost.
    Depreciation isn't included in the monthly cost.

Depreciation isn't included in the monthly cost.

That's what I said, and you said:
    No, it definetly includes depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I've had both many petrols and diesels over the years and the diesels for me are a better car to drive. Recently this year I've had a diesel Jetta, a 1.6 petrol Vectra and a 1.6 petrol Mondeo. The petrols would not pull you out of bed and they drink the juice compared to the Jetta. :mad:

That's incredibly subjective. You've been driving (lately) very small engined petrols that are, arguably, a little underpowered for pulling that Vectra/Mondeo frame around.
    That's why they drank juice compared to the Jetta because they were under so much more stress pulling that weight because they didn't have enough power.

There's a treshold around the 1.6 mark of medium sized saloons where MPG and Performance take a nosedive because they're just a poor match for power/weight.

So, brandishing petrols in such a poor light is a bit unfair considering your circumstances.

My bad, I mistakenly thought you were refering to the overall cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

It's worked fine for me in the past, what numbers were you putting in to get that figure?

What is the yearly tax?........................................... 900

Estimated insurance cost per year…………………. 400

Estimated servicing costs per year…………………. 500

What is the 'official' MPG?...................................... 30

What is your average annual mileage?................... 12000

Estimated fuel price per litre…………………………. 1.31

figures are rough but close enough! Mind you I have near zero deprecation

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

I have a petrol Mondeo and do low(ish) miles and was looking at a new car. Ford now only do Mondeo's as diesel.... I have always avoided diesel because of the noise..... from outside it is incredible.... is this an issue for anyone else.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

eddie wrote: »
    I have a petrol Mondeo and do low(ish) miles and was looking at a new car. Ford now only do Mondeo's as diesel.... I have always avoided diesel because of the noise..... from outside it is incredible.... is this an issue for anyone else.?

They still have petrol models.

Advertisement