Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been sent/asked to buy...

Options
  • 22-04-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Female sanitary products for a woman in your life?
    Tampon or pads?
    Would you or it that a line you just can not cross?

Have you ever been asked to buy tampons/pads? 76 votes

I have never been in that position.
    0% 0 votes
    I have and I completely refused!
    23% 18 votes
    I have and found it very uncomfortable but it was an emgerency!
    2% 2 votes
    I have and it didn't phase me what so ever, whats the big deal.
    9% 7 votes
    Yes but bought them on line hurrah for home delivery.
    64% 49 votes
    Atari jamrag!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Female sanitary products for a woman in your life?
    Tampon or pads?
    Would you or it that a line you just can not cross?

Been sent a few times and never have a bother doing it. In fairness its not like they are for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I've never been asked, but for some reason I'd find it incredibly awkward!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Wouldn't have a problem. I've sold them people in a small rural shop. But then, some people are embarrased about buying toilet roll !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

haven't been asked. don't think i would have a problem with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Don't get it. Why would that be embarrassing? Why would you even have that poll?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cos I have known blokes who wouldn't and I am courios as to have attitudes changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I used to sell them when I worked in a shop as a teenager, I used to find that some ladies were embarrassed buying them

It isn't something that bothers me at all, I have bought them for girls I have shared a house with before, neither of us were uncomfortable about that

You could start a thread like this about why some men and women are still embarassed by buying condoms too, doesn't bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Never been asked would have no problems in doing it though. Ok I'll jokingly say "not a hope" but to be honest its no skin off my nose.

But then again the likely hood of ever been asked is slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Been asked a few times, didnt bother me at all, was just in a supermarket at the time, she told me the exact type and brand, I got them, whats the big deal? would you be embarassed buying nappies? afraid someone may think they're for you? same thing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'd buy anything in a shop. The only
    time embarrasment might come into it is if I knew the person at the till and even then it wouldn't be pads that would embarrass me...I dunno...maybe a cock ring...which I actually did buy in boots once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I hate it when the shop assistants get all technical with their 'Dya want de light, medium or Heavy flow ones?' question.
    A pack of each and Damn yer eyes, serving wench!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Have bought them a couple of times. And also a few other products I didn't need at the time, can of deodorant, bag of crisps, shoe polish etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I bought them once the wif and didn't mind. I was also buying a few other things too. I was kinda curious if I'd get a strange look at the checkout but I didn't. I'd like to think people would notice the wedding ring. A friend of mine said he bought tampons for his girlfriend once and got a very strange look from the checkout girl but he said he didn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Bought some for my sister once, she made a bigger deal about it when asking me on the phone to pick some up for her. TBH I've found it more embarrassing buying condoms on occassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Lol great video "ding ding ding"! :D

Anyway I've had to ask a BF in the past to get them for me because I was crippled with cramps and he was passing a shop anyway, he had no problems with it. Personally don't see the big deal, I've been shopping with BFs and stuck them in the basket too.

In a new relationship yes I could understand the slight embarrassment, but when your together a good while meh shouldn't matter. :p Your ladies should be giving you more info on which brand etc though. Usually a brand & packet colour is enough, it wouldn't be easy to try pick one out for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Yup and I have even bought them for a work colleague.

The correct answer to the question when asked is regular or heavy flow and can I pick you up some herbal tea or paracetemol while I'm there.

I can understand the reluctance for young guys as it has something reproductive about it.

Now my daughter is a different thing - I haven't -but I have told her and we have an arrangement that says she needs to go to boots.

Oh and for cramps it helps to have a hot water bottle in the house and a real man will buy one and have it in the cupboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

I have in the past, and would in the future.

I don't have problems with any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I don't have a problem with it but I used to work in a Supermarket and you could see the embarrassment on some lads faces when they had to buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I very seldom get embarrassed by such a thing. In fact I seldom get embarrassed. I'm very much of the "F it they're only tampons" school of thought. Even if it came to be say,I knew the person at the counter, I'd probably joke along the lines of "Its my time of the month". I find embarrassment only happens if you let it happen. Whenever I'm put in an embarrassing situation I try to take the piss out of myself before someone else gets the chance to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'll go one better, My mam was away, I was the one minding my sister, she got sick in a girly way. I had to ask the chemist alot of questions and describe stuff! :(

I was embarrassed for that, of course, but it was genuinely needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Nope, never been asked.
    I used to work in a supermarket as a teenager, and would get embarrassed if I had to do a price check on them or something. Don't know if it would affect me so much these days. When I was in college I lived with three girls. Went shopping together sometimes and they'd chuck a pack in the trolley and I would just keep going as normal.
    My mates and I usually are alright talking about periods and such. We'd make nasty jokes about them. Although one friend has a birthday card that's just a pad stuck to it with happy birthday written on it. I just can't look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I haven't been asked but it wouldn't bother me if I was. The only thing is that she'd have to tell me exactly which one's to get.

I also used to work in a supermarket, and would sometimes have to pack them on the shelves. It was funny because you'd occasionally see some woman standing beside you looking at whatever was on the next shelf, then as soon as you turn your back she'd dart in, grab the tampons and almost run off because she was embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

UM Therea box ive no idea what there for... :D no serously dont really care at all just another box... I got more embarrissed about bye lube once got a cheekywink of the asistance... :pac:.....

. I got more embarrissed about bye lube once got a cheekywink of the asistance... :pac:.....

LOL :D

A classic snowie and puts it in perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Have never being asked and if I was it would just be another item in my basket

On a seperate note I was once doing some tv soap / extra work and the producer guy thought it would be funny if several of us males were seen holding packets of tampons outside this shop to be used in a shot .

We all gve our opinions on that idea which was F... off :pac:

Betcha Snowie would have -no shame that boy :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's a cool video. :D "I have to go now" HAHAHAHAHA.

I have done lots of times. I have been slightly embarassed by it on the odd occasion (and I wont go into why), but mostly (95% of the time) I couldn't give a fiddlers. It's just a personal hygiene product.

edit: If another male was looking for help in the supermarket though, I would divulge my considerable knowledge on the subject to him no problem. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've bought them before. Why on earth would anybody be uptight about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

the only thing that fazes me is the sea of green, purple and blues that face me when I'm standing in the aisle. Eyes go blurry and I can't tell the diference tbh, especially when they go and change the bloody branding. I once bought 4 different packs of pads, because i couldnt remember which ones the then gf wanted, and she wasn't answering the phone. She was quite touched by that, considering the price!

My dad isn't the same though. He was morto once, when the mother asked him to pick them up. Again, I wasn't bothered, maybe its a generational thing? A different time, when such things like periods, condoms, sex etc where kept quiet about.

• Advertisement

My Dad was asked by my Mum once and only once and he went to the wholesalers and bought a carton of them :p

Advertisement