Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve TNA

Options
  • 21-04-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Since TNA moved to Monday nights they have received a lot of criticism from lots of different people with different views.

So if you were given the power to change 1 thing in TNA to improve the product what would it be and why?

(please no get rid of it comments, if you hate TNA that much dont just b*tch about it but rather give your opinion on how to make it better)

So to start I would suggest moving out of the impact zone or at least finding a bigger one as it looks 2nd rate, especially in comparison to WWEs massive arenas.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

sigh....one thing, eh?

Slow down time between storyline progressions - i.e. Proper punctuated storylines given due time (ie a few months)...not a few weeks. Most of TNA's storylines are fine, but they power through them far too quickly so nothing sticks, and the story isn't given enough gravity because you can never reflect on what happened. It's the polar opposite of RAW (where they repeat/replay what happened that night over and over again).

for example, Mick Foley was friends with Abyss, turned heel, had a match, made up, turned face, moved on in the space of....2 months, maybe? That angle - give it's proper time - could (and should've) lasted at least a year. Foley is the proper/true mentor to Abyss, and it was powered through and immediately forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭danny29

Retire all of the legends eg Sting,Angle,Team 3d,Jeff Jarrett,The band,Hogan(as long hes not wrestling hes ok),flair(same as Hogan) and push the young guys like Wolfe,Pope,kazarian,mcmg,Anderson,Beer money,Styles,Joe,Generation me. Get rid of past and bring in the future basically!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

I don't get to see that much, but I am looking forward to Lockdown this Friday night. Once again slow everything down and stop being Diet WWE. I want to punch Taz in the face everytime he says "Here comes the Pope". Stop giving away big stip matches on T.V. like the Six-man Cage match two weeks ago and Angle Vs. Anderson ladder match. Plus the whole Knock-Out title change via someone picking a box seem to undermind the Knock-Out world Title. Highlight what makes TNA different from WWE. So push the women, x-guys and go back to the six sided ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

They've got the ingredients, but the chefs are too amatuer to make something compelling. ;) If they could improve the quality of the writing it would do them the world of good, I totally agree with what jay said about the lack of pacing and structure in regards to storylines.

Ditto in relation to what the OP said about the Impact Zone. The crowd were excellent on Monday, they tore the roof off of the place and it's something that the WWE sorely lacks these days i.e. enthusiastic fans. However the IZ is too small, and it looks like a glorified gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I'm a sucker for the knockout division, so my "one thing" would be to treat the women like stars. Give them time, don't try and throw them all into one match, bring back Kong and Gail Kim (when possible), I'm not sure if Alyssa Flash is still with the company but they should use her if she is and rehire her if she isn't, never have Lacey Von Erich wrestle, give Sarita, ODB and Wilde some freakin camera time instead of the same BP/Tara/Daffney/Love over and over again, and, finally, treat the title with even a modicum of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

they could always have a guest host every week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

jaykhunter wrote: »
    sigh....one thing, eh?

Slow down time between storyline progressions - i.e. Proper punctuated storylines given due time (ie a few months)...not a few weeks. Most of TNA's storylines are fine, but they power through them far too quickly so nothing sticks, and the story isn't given enough gravity because you can never reflect on what happened. It's the polar opposite of RAW (where they repeat/replay what happened that night over and over again).

for example, Mick Foley was friends with Abyss, turned heel, had a match, made up, turned face, moved on in the space of....2 months, maybe? That angle - give it's proper time - could (and should've) lasted at least a year. Foley is the proper/true mentor to Abyss, and it was powered through and immediately forgotten.

I have to say they've gotten better at that recently, Angle/Kennedy in particular, and in fairness to TNA they really let that program end at the right moment, with the absolute perfect blow off match imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I would like to see a second show on Thursdays.

An extra 2 hours of tv a week would let them slow down storylines, giving you more time to digest them. It would also give tv time to more if not all of the roster, instead of having some talent on tv one week, missing the next week, on tv the next week, missing the next week. By the time you see them 2 weeks later, you have forgotten what happened 2 weeks ago. And they wouldn't have to cram anything in.

They could have the major storylines spaced out over the 2 weekly shows, and then the minor storylines on just one of the shows.

I think TNA were getting more ratings on Thursdays anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Impossible, its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Any relation to Dixie?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Stop trying to rely on aging wrestlers as a draw. From what I've seen, there seems to be somewhat of a high reliance on big star names who have really gotten on as a draw. Then again, I've wanted both Hogan and Flair to go away for about 10 years..

Other than that, I don't see too much wrong with them overall, they just lack the huge fanbase the WWE has built up over many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

+1 to the poster above. While I'd actually expected Hogan to be far worse than he has, putting flair in matches is a bit of a joke at this stage.

And longer storylines with less nonsensical swerves. The Anderson-Angle programme showed that they can do a solid build that gets us interested and leads to a satisfying blow-out match over time. So why doesn't it happen more?

Oh yeah and - bit late for it now, but all the same - stop making AJ Styles look like a total chump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Those aging wrestlers did a pretty good job on TNA Lockdown

TNA is making WWE look like a soap opera.

More matches and less talk, unlike wwe which is all talk these days.

The kids don't even go to their cousins place to watch WWE any more, but they don't miss a TNA show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

3 words-Fire Vince Russo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

old_aussie wrote: »
    Those aging wrestlers did a pretty good job on TNA Lockdown

TNA is making WWE look like a soap opera.

More matches and less talk, unlike wwe which is all talk these days.

The kids don't even go to their cousins place to watch WWE any more, but they don't miss a TNA show.

Are you comparing a TNA PPV to a regular WWE tv showing? Bad comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lockdown was way better than Wrestlemania.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

mdwexford wrote: »
    Lockdown was way better than Wrestlemania.

In 09 maybe

I do think TNA should consider cutting the roster some more. It seems very big and it must be a really tough job to get everyone on tv each week.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    In 09 maybe

I do think TNA should consider cutting the roster some more. It seems very big and it must be a really tough job to get everyone on tv each week.

+1 there's a serious amount of fat TNA need to trim off their roster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

+1 there's a serious amount of fat TNA need to trim off their roster

Really, I don't see that many active roster members that are dead weight. The likes of Stevie, Rhino, Raven and Tomko etc. are never on TV anyway so it doesn't make a difference and they can be fed to Rob Terry (who along with Orlando Jordan are here to stay so we have to deal with it).

Really, I don't see that many active roster members that are dead weight. The likes of Stevie, Rhino, Raven and Tomko etc. are never on TV anyway so it doesn't make a difference and they can be fed to Rob Terry (who along with Orlando Jordan are here to stay so we have to deal with it).
    70 plus roster members with limited tv time is slightly excessive imho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Let MCMG have a tag title run come on they are the best tag team by a mile and have never been TNA tag champs

Get rid of the geriatrics or at least keep them out of the ring and away from the main events

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Get rid of the geriatrics or at least keep them out of the ring and away from the main events

In fairness to Hogan and Flair they have been putting people over on the mic(Hogan with Abyss, RVD, Machismo, and Hardy.. Flair with Beer Money, Styles, and Wolfe) maybe in the ring would be another thing, but for TNA's younger talent to be associated with them and Sting also isnt such a bad thing in my honest opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In fairness to Hogan and Flair they have been putting people over on the mic(Hogan with Abyss, RVD, Machismo, and Hardy.. Flair with Beer Money, Styles, and Wolfe) maybe in the ring would be another thing, but for TNA's younger talent to be associated with them and Sting also isnt such a bad thing in my honest opinion

Wolfe didnt need Flair he was good on the mic as was Beer Money and I think putting Flair with Styles was a disaster as was his title reign - Its been all about Hogan V Flair and does anyone really want to see that still in this era :rolleyes:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wolfe didnt need Flair he was good on the mic as was Beer Money and I think putting Flair with Styles was a disaster as was his title reign - Its been all about Hogan V Flair and does anyone really want to see that still in the era :rolleyes:

I think the ratings prove no-one whats to see Hogan and Flair in 2010:pac: But at least they're giving people in TNA a rub which isnt a bad thing at all imho, no matter how much they've both tarnished their respective legacys they are still legends at the end of the day.. plus Wheelchair Flair = Awesome :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Has anyone read 'The Death of WCW'?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-WCW-R-D-Reynolds/dp/1550226614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272032683&sr=8-1

To me TNA just feels like WCW all over again (Granted WCW did sky rocket at one point due to the NWO concept but even that died a grizzly death).

The Orlando Jordan pieces the past couple of weeks would make any sane person turn off.

To be honest I love Flair... All Time Top 5 on the mic... I think he has something to add but the current angle they're running with him does now't for me.

Whens the last time anyone has seen Jeff Jarrett smile? I've no interest in the guy at all... he's lost his swagger completley.

Mick Foley... constant pointless dumb skits featuring Foley... he's really killing his legacy.

Samoa Joe... going around scowling all the time like he has a chip on his shoulder... they played a dumb clip last week or the week before... another reason to turn off.

Hogan can barely walk... and his character is completely and utterly boring.

A.J. Styles new persona is just plain stupid... he's like the village idiot now, not a proper bad guy at all.

Abyss and the ring... Jesus... totally lame.

Desmond Wolfe should be given more time on the mic... great talker... love listening to him.

I've a bad feeling about TNA... I can only imagine they've invested huge money in the likes of Hogan, Flair and others and I haven't seen any real improvement in the product. They'll end up in financial ruin at the rate they're going.

I look at Wrestling now and compare it to some of the highs from down the years and it's just a million miles away.

What would I do - strip out all the ****e that nobody wants to watch... be it actual wrestlers or the crappy storylines and try to simplify the product back to the age old recipes of good storylines combined with matches that people actually want to see.

PS.

Have a read over on Lance Storm's website. He's been documenting his thoughts on TNA for quite a while now

http://www.stormwrestling.com/index1.html

Here's his most recent write up relating to TNA -

http://www.stormwrestling.com/040610.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Wheelchair Flair = Awesome :pac:

+1. Crazy grandpa Flair FTW.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ugh, how many times can Storm bash TNA over and over? Although I agree with him on some fundamentals; "Dancing" Lance Storm isn't exactly sports-entertainment. If he had his way you'd get DQ'ed for getting out of the ring

Yes, Crazy Grandpa Wheelchair Flair is AWESOME!

how many times can Storm bash TNA over and over?

Pretty much as long as TNA keeping producing the same old sh*te they have been producing for quite a long time now.

I have to say I find the fundamentals of what Storm says to be very true... which is that the booking and story lines in TNA are dreadful.

The fact of the matter is that I only tune into TNA these days to see how low they can actually go.

I recommend 'The Death of WCW' as a good read to anyone. Not only is it an interesting story which chronicles Pro Wrestlign at it's peak (The Monday Night Wars) it also documents very well the politics behind the scenes.

Read that book, then watch TNA... it's like Deja Vu. TNA is so similar to WCW it isn't even funny... based in Florida, TV tapings in a set location, splashing out big money to bring in ex-WWE talent, Bischoff and Russo onboard, bad/inconsistent storylines, stupid match stipulations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought Storm wasn't watching TNA anymore?

His blogs are reaching Brian Alvarez-levels of tedious TNA bashing for the sake of it at this stage. Maybe his readers would like to see him write about something else other than how sh*t TNA is?

Advertisement