Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

yeah, it wouldn't affect me at all. i've have an even bigger dinner than that for most of my life, and i'm only 10 and a half stone.

bring on the junk food!!! my bum won't look big in anything :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gym exercise is much better for you than slogging away on a farm or building in ancient Rome.

<snip>

People that regularly use the gym and use it sensibly, are going to be in better nick than your typical Zulu or caveman. A fit, healthy person of today is much healthier than any other in history.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh....no Ted. Well what I mean to say is those are some VERY VERY broad generalisations there. For one thing - define gym exercise ? Some of what is done in a gym is pure waste of time.....but then again some of it is time well spent. On the other hand some types of physical work are very good for you....others are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I think it is a loooooong way from socially acceptable. A prime example is to walk into any trendy clothing store for young women and girls- go and look for something that is in any way flattering to a curvy girl over a size 14.
    They'll be few and far between, believe me.
    Also, I recently learned that the trendy shops that do have over a size 14 hide them in the back room (in case it offends thinner girls? I don't really know the reason?) and then you have to embarrass yourself even more by having to go and ask for your size (which probably won't fit all that well).
    I'm a curvy 14, I work out twice a day (jog and swim) and I eat a very healthy diet, a size 12-14 is my "happy" size, ie: the weight/size my body is healthiest at and naturally leans towards. Sometimes, a 14 is a bit tight in some shops and I have to ask for the bigger one...not a pleasant experience at all!
    Also, go into Dunnes and look for a bra bigger than a D cup- very interesting what they think a DD is.:pac:
    The dirty stares from anorexic shop assistants also really makes my day, don't you know.....:mad:

I think it is a loooooong way from socially acceptable. A prime example is to walk into any trendy clothing store for young women and girls- go and look for something that is in any way flattering to a curvy girl over a size 14.
    They'll be few and far between, believe me.
    Also, I recently learned that the trendy shops that do have over a size 14 hide them in the back room (in case it offends thinner girls? I don't really know the reason?) and then you have to embarrass yourself even more by having to go and ask for your size (which probably won't fit all that well).
    I'm a curvy 14, I work out twice a day (jog and swim) and I eat a very healthy diet, a size 12-14 is my "happy" size, ie: the weight/size my body is healthiest at and naturally leans towards. Sometimes, a 14 is a bit tight in some shops and I have to ask for the bigger one...not a pleasant experience at all!
    Also, go into Dunnes and look for a bra bigger than a D cup- very interesting what they think a DD is.:pac:
    The dirty stares from anorexic shop assistants also really makes my day, don't you know.....:mad:

So...you complain about how you're discriminated against for being 'curvy', and then go on to call shop assistants who aren't 'curvy' 'anorexic'.

sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    So...you complain about how you're discriminated against for being 'curvy', and then go on to call shop assistants who aren't 'curvy' 'anorexic'.

sigh.

Actually I think that's a fair point. Oddly enough I think that because of the obesity epidemic our perceptions of whats skinny have shifted to the point that naturally slim people get called anorexic. I say this from two perspectives. The first is that at different times I've been called both fat and anorexic. The second is that I've been to other countries and seen how fat/skinny people are there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, I hate hearing snide remarks directed at skinny people too - while I don't think fatness is considered socially acceptable, I do think there's more defense of derogatory comments made about healthy thinness almost as if to say "(S)he's thin, (s)he'll be fine with nasty comments"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate hearing snide remarks directed at skinny people too - while I don't think fatness is considered socially acceptable, I do think there's less defense of derogatory comments made about healthy thinness almost as if to say "(S)he's thin, (s)he'll be fine with nasty comments"...

Yeah, noticed Ryan Tubridy gets a lot of comments from guests about his thinness.

Many say stuff like: "You could do with a good meal.." etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yeah, noticed Ryan Tubridy gets a lot of comments from guests about his thinness.

Many say stuff like: "You could do with a good meal.." etc

Bahahaha I hope it really hurts his feelings the snivelling little b*stard!

What? :confused:

So, say Tubridy had the exact same personality but was fat... would you be saying the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

This was my first foray into the after hours forum and I will not be back. The level of derogatory posts on this subject is just appalling. I will also not be back to read the replies to this as I'm sure I'll get slated and I do not want to be thrown off track in my own work by rude posters.

Being overweight may be a simple issue of taking in more calories than you expend but the reasons behind why a person does this are extremely important and unless you are being constructive with your comments and supportive you may do far more damage than good to many who are overweight.

I am overweight towards obesity. I have battled with it for years. I have issues with emotional eating, body image and self confidence. All of this results in a horrible cycle where when I'm dieting or eating healthily, unhealthy food becomes a treat. My self image and emotional well being becomes linked to whether or not I have lost weight that week. If I fall off track or eat something I shouldn't I hate myself for it and end up eating more because I get depressed about it. I am currently working through my body image issues, concentrating on exercise and a healthier diet and not weighing myself so that my progress is not dependent on weight loss.

I have a close friend who we discovered last year was anorexic (with bullemic tendencies) and has battled with similar issues. Until we found out the OP and several others here would have thought she was the perfect example of body image although it transpires that she saw a horribly obese person in the mirror. After she admitted it to the family (6 years in) she lost weight dangerously fast as she had lost her final "safe" zone as it is called where she had eaten properly and spent over 12 weeks as an inpatient last year learning how to eat safely again.

Having watched her battle anorexia and from my own battle with my own weight this type of thread (particularly the early pages) is just horrific to read. I'm only going on these two experiences but I know that anyone else with any kind of a body image issue that is contributing to their weight, be it obesity or the other extreme would have problems dealing with the comments made.

Personally I want to cry, how dare the posters in the early pages assume they are a better person than me and that they can look down on me because of my weight? It does not affect my profession, I'm an excellent employee. It does not affect your pocket-I have my own health insurance. I contribute to our local community-running a society, helping our local church. Why are you better than me?

And finally in response to the original thread title "Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?" the forty odd pages of this debate have shown exactly why it not socially acceptable to be fat/obese.

Wtf
    re battle with obisity
    have you tried eating less carbs no sugar and getting an hours exercise 3 or four days a week cos :
    I'm willing to bet you haven't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I think that's a fair point. Oddly enough I think that because of the obesity epidemic our perceptions of whats skinny have shifted to the point that naturally slim people get called anorexic.
    +1 I've often overheard "oh he/she is so slim", when plainly the object of this isnt.
    Wtf
    re battle with obisity
    have you tried eating less carbs no sugar and getting an hours exercise 3 or four days a week cos :
    I'm willing to bet you haven't
    Maybe try reading the persons post and specifically the reasons for her weight gain. I'm willing to bet you havent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/04/19/freak-show-fat/

Something I saw on Bill Maher's show. This guy was in a FREAK SHOW 100 years ago. Now it's not that unusual.. But of course it's nothing to do with diet and all to do with genetics.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I read the first 5 pagesof this thread then skipped to the last page. The same thing is still being argued about.

My opinion is, no one can disagree with the fact that carrying excessive amounts of fat is a health risk. It puts you at a greater risk of heart disease, clogged arteries, cancer, diabetes among other things. If someone is willing to live with those risks, by all means do.

So, say Tubridy had the exact same personality but was fat... would you be saying the above?

Jesus christ it was a JOKE!!!

I would have thought Turbidy was fair game, doesn't everyone else hate him too? :confused:

yes, can't stand the guy. and he is really skinny, i think but maybe that's just cos he's really tall as well

whiteman19 wrote: »
    yes, can't stand the guy. and he is really skinny, i think but maybe that's just cos he's really tall as well

Ya probably! Before people go off assuming I'm prejudiced against skinny people just for having a dig at Turbidy, my boyfriends about 8 and 1/2 stone and 5 ft 11" so don't even bother!

i just don't like him for his personality. he's a right auld gobsh**e. it doesn't have anything to do with his appearance

plus vertical striped suits make him even thinner

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

techdiver wrote: »
    As the title says.

Society makes a big deal of advertising the dangers of smoking and alcohol abuse.

With the smoking ban and higher taxes on tobacco and alcohol, will it ever become acceptable to come out and say to someone who is obese that they are in fact fat and need to loose weight? I have read many articles etc that claim that obesity is set to move to top spot in the scale of biggest risk to health and the leading cause of death.

It is acceptable to tell some one to cut down on the smoking and drinking but not the eating....

Any thoughts?

I would never tell anyone on a personal basis to cut down on smoking or drinking, they know what they are doing. Hence I would never tell anyone to cut down on their eating, they also know what they are doing.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    plus vertical striped suits make him even thinner

LMFAO at that! :D Thats such a girlie b*tchy thing to comment on lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

See Gerry Ryan for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

sigh.

Why do you assume anyone who I call anorexic is a normal weight and that I'm being mean? I'm talking assistants who weigh 5/6 stone here not 8/9 stone.
    I'm not fat, I'm not skinny either but I'm pretty sure most girls (I am aware some girls can't gain weight) resembling Posh/Victoria Beckham are anorexic and not naturally skinny.
    And they do give me dirty looks when I ask for sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Why do you assume anyone who I call anorexic is a normal weight and that I'm being mean? I'm talking assistants who weigh 5/6 stone here not 8/9 stone.
    I'm not fat, I'm not skinny either but I'm pretty sure most girls (I am aware some girls can't gain weight) resembling Posh/Victoria Beckham are anorexic and not naturally skinny.

I'm pretty sure the stuck up girls in clothes shops do that to everyone. It must say in their contract that being friendly is frowned upon and they have to have an air of cool detachment. Which means pouting and not making eye contact. Sort of like a runway model with a barcode scanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You've put them on the scales have you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Few adults are 5/6 stones. It depends on what someone defines as skinny/average/curvy/fat anyway. We've all hear people say she's fat when she wasnt or she's anorexic when she wasnt or she's average when she wasnt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

It's very easy to jump to conclusions about a person you perceive as being too fat or too skinny. Unless you "walk a mile in their shoes", you can't possibly know their reasons for being that way.

I doubt they'd be fully functioning at 5/6 stone, and definitely not functioning enough to work - i.e. they'd be collapsing every 5 minutes.

Would you like it if a girl looked at you and said "she must be 16 stone"? Doubt it.

I get called skinny all the time (10.5 stone 5' 11"). Never by average people - average by Irish standards, not by European standards - always by overweight people.

Do a lot of skinny, pretty sales assistants really look down their noses at customers? Or is that moreso in the customer's head? Not denying there might be the very odd one who does, but I haven't experienced it myself, and I'm pale with jet-black really long hair which is just straight and doesn't have a stylish cut, and I don't wear what's in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Retail assistances look down on everyone. It's not just in clothes shops, but in every other shops too. Walk in to a centra or a spar, the staff behind the tills hate you. It's nothing personal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Do a lot of skinny, pretty sales assistants really look down their noses at customers? Or is that moreso in the customer's head? Not denying there might be the very odd one who does, but I haven't experienced it myself, and I'm pale with jet-black really long hair which is just straight and doesn't have a stylish cut, and I don't wear what's in fashion.

Honestly I've never really had this problem either. Any of the clothes shops I go into the vast majority of them are friendly and polite. Besides, I find if you have a smile and a pleasant word to say to retail assistants they generally respond in kind.

Advertisement