Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

would it be just that we're now more susceptible to weight gain with so much food now available to people? that our genetics isn't prepared to handle so much food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Agree with all of those except A, the first one. I really and truly do not for a single second believe that there is any such thing a an obesity gene. IF there is where the hell has it been hiding for so many years? People have passed on hereditary diseases for millennia (e.g Huntingtons, breast and/or ovarian cancer, dwarfism, hypertension, a myriad of cardiac diseases and endocrine diseases) and there is clear cut evidence to back this up. There is not such a back catalogue of history to explain how in almost a single generation the so called obesity gene has decided to make itself known.
    A genetic background by itself isn't necessarily enough to initiaite the manifestation of a gene variation or halotype into a phenotype, you need triggers or promoters, in this case an obesogenic environment. It's not that they're necessarily hardwired to eat more (although some are in rare conditions) is that they are gentically predisposed to put on weight a lot more easily for any number of metabolic reasons when in an onesogenic environment. It's fairly indisputable stuff at this stage. Thats why those genes were 'latent' in other times but now the nature of the food supply and our lifestyle has changed in a way that means their are making themselves evident.

Ehhhhh....kind of you are both right...thou khrystyna100 is a bit more right. Its not merely about the genes. Its about the gene-environment interaction. Its not that these genes were 'latent'. They were sitting there doing their thing all along. But as most genes they do more than one thing - some their proper job, some accidental offshoots. They've evolved to function in a certain environment. Until the industrialisation of farming that environment was one of relative food scarcity. Since then its one of food excess (at least in this part of the world). So these aren't 'fat genes' - they just happen to have the unfortunate side-effect of obesity in a situation of food excess. But actually i dont' think they are that important. the food excess, and more specifically **** food excess is the more important factor.

There is no such thing as a 'fat' gene. There ARE different body types, some people are naturally skinny and lanky, some people build muscle easier than others and some people gain fat easier than the other two types but not THAT much easier. Eat the correct foods and you won't end up 25 stone, unable to walk 50 metres without a break panting and wheezing...

I believe you are referring to the concept of ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph bodytypes. Sorry but thats an outdated concept that doesn't really have any grounding in science so far as I know, despite that fact its still around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

whiteman19 wrote: »
    would it be just that we're now more susceptible to weight gain with so much food now available to people? that our genetics isn't prepared to handle so much food?

In a nutshell for some people yes, excess food is still the problem but it explains why some can eat all they want and be as skinny as a rake and others so much as look at a BLT and put on a pound! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

There is no such thing as a 'fat' gene. There ARE different body types, some people are naturally skinny and lanky, some people build muscle easier than others and some people gain fat easier than the other two types but not THAT much easier. Eat the correct foods and you won't end up 25 stone, unable to walk 50 metres without a break panting and wheezing...

Wouldnt your body type be some what constructed from your parentage/genetic backround? as in you are predisposed to inherit these characteristics

Ehhhhh....kind of you are both right...thou khrystyna100 is a bit more right. Its not merely about the genes. Its about the gene-environment interaction. Its not that these genes were 'latent'. They were sitting there doing their thing all along. But as most genes they do more than one thing - some their proper job, some accidental offshoots. They've evolved to function in a certain environment. Until the industrialisation of farming that environment was one of relative food scarcity. Since then its one of food excess (at least in this part of the world). So these aren't 'fat genes' - they just happen to have the unfortunate side-effect of obesity in a situation of food excess. But actually i dont' think they are that important. the food excess, and more specifically **** food excess is the more important factor.

Yep that was my point put nicely, I put latent in between commas to highlight that it wasn't really the right word to use but the most easy to understand if your not into genetics.

Although I have heard that the scarcity of food thing is a myth and that prehistoric man actually ate very well? Anthropology isn't my strong suit so I can't comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

The reason fat parents have fat kids is they feed them crap and don't take them on long outdoor excursions. Fat genes are only a predisposition.

I'm 17 stone and 6'2" but I'm far from "fat". Today I mowed a third of an acre of grass with a hand mower and i'm gonna jog to town and back with my dog in a while (4 miles) to get the sunday paper. So tell me is my fitness and strength because I have a fit and strong gene or because as I said earlier my mother fed me meat potatos and two types of veg 99 meals outa a hundread and my father encouraged me to cycle everywhere rain, hail or shine?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What exactly do you think determines what body type you are? Your DNA!

Well one of my brothers and my sister are ectomorphic, my other brother and I are mesomorphic...

If parents are fat and their kids are fat it's because they're all fat c**ts not because of their bloody genes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I believe you are referring to the concept of ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph bodytypes. Sorry but thats an outdated concept that doesn't really have any grounding in science so far as I know, despite that fact its still around

It it still a good way to describe different body types - there are different body types, whether 'science' has tested it or not.

Well one of my brothers and my sister are ectomorphic, my other brother and I are mesomorphic...

Well from that statement it is clear that you know absolutely nothing about genetics.

But some people are prone to put on weight, no matter what they eat. Some people only look at cake and they are wearing it.

Its not fair to judge why some people are fat. You dont know what is going on with them no more than they know whats going on with you. Dont paint all over-weight people with the same brush.

I admit most people are fat just from simple over-eating and gluttony, but your genetics do play a huge part in how your body copes with food.

• Advertisement

dellas1979 wrote: »
    But some people are prone to put on weight, no matter what they eat..

For people who don't really understand what they're talking about it's more convenient to ignore that exact point though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Its not fair to judge why some people are fat. You dont know what is going on with them no more than they know whats going on with you. Dont paint all over-weight people with the same brush.

I admit most people are fat just from simple over-eating and gluttony, but your genetics do play a huge part in how your body copes with food.

Genetics play a huge part in whether someone is smart/clever/intelligent also; however I would have a whole lot more respect for someone who tried to overcome any shortcomings in their genes by educating themselves by reading, travelling etc than someone who perpetuates their stupidity by watching Corrie, reading the Sun and listening to Joe Duffy.

Well, we inherit gene and characteristics from parentage/lineage so why is it not possible to pass on a "fat" gene?

There has to be some link there why some people are prone to putting on weight.

Yes there is a link. Mostly, its a behavioural one. i.e. kids immitate their parents.

It it still a good way to describe different body types - there are different body types, whether 'science' has tested it or not.

No its not a good way to describe things. Its a misleading simplistic reductionist model that leads to ignorant statements such as this:

If parents are fat and their kids are fat it's because they're all fat c**ts not because of their bloody genes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

QUOTE: WIBBS... Look at skulls of our caveman ancestors. No dental caries. Stronger bones too.

^^^ thats exactually right sugar is the key that stuff will have you gumless in no time. enjoy people. my friend is a chocoholic, man he loves chocolate and he got 10 teeth out and i said to him are you not worried about loseing the rest of your teeth and he said i couldn't be arsed. so there ye go. greed again but it will catch up with you very fast and when it does it's a killer. been there wrote two books on it. look after your body especially your teeth cause if you don't the surgeon will. hehe and it's bad so bad that it will hit you and you will be crying like a little baby with toothaches and abcesses. i'm getting sleepy now thinking of the anestetic. why i'm even saying this is beyond me except trust me on this one, look after your teeth never mind fatness you can run that off but leaving your teeth without looking after them for a while and you will feel the most terrible pain getting them all pulled out or even worse a root canal arrgg sore dude the worst of the worst. anyway no tooth fairy's will come to you the gum fairy's will be close at hand with their fake false teeth. you have been warned brush those teeth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Although I have heard that the scarcity of food thing is a myth and that prehistoric man actually ate very well?
    Depending on the particular environment. So an ice age hunter would have more limited diet options. That said the Inuit today have a very varied diet in a similar environment. Plus part of the success of us as a species is our dietary flexibility(which is part of our issue today though). We can survive on many different food sources. One dies out or the climate changes and we can go for novel foods(and genetically adapt quite quickly too). But from what Ive read about neolithic man yes they had a good diet. There are some good books out there on the subject.

Hunter gatherers today have a very good diet. Much more varied than the average westerner, with better omega 6/3 ratios, better quality meats and seasonal fruit and veg. Very little sugar, almost no veggie oils(except from seeds). While their longevity stats look worse than ours, the results are skewed by levels of childhood mortality. The diseases they're prone to are different. Obesity is pretty much unknown, as is type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and much lower rates of cardiovascular disease. Basically every western condition you account for they have less(including some interesting but incomplete studies showing much lower prevalence of depression). If they start eating more western diets this trend reverses. Archaelogists can tell you that in areas where hunter gatherers and early farmers overlap, you can spot the farmers. They're smaller, less robust and die younger.

The problem with following their diet wholesale is that we can have different gene's going on. "Farmer genes" that have evolved in the last 10,000 years. EG Most "cavemen" are lactose and gluten intolerant. But we could take a fair few leaves from their book of living. Eat less. Much less crap. More good protein, more organ meats(except liver I gather), more fish, more veg and fruit in season, more nuts etc. Good protein is harder for us to get. Our modern domesticated cattle are a far cry from antelope meat. Much higher in fat for a start.

Plus ancient man hunted the food, which is very good exercise. Much better than "gym" exercise IMHO. Its social and with a purpose. I once saw a programme where an american anthropologist was hanging out with Kalahari bushmen. He went on an antelope hunt with a guy who was in his late 40's and the american lad couldnt keep up with the older mans stop start pursuit and he was 15 years younger and a keen marathon runner. Native american braves used to catch horses by running them down until the horse was exhausted. :eek:

Even among farmer cultures look at the Greeks or Romans. A roman expected to live in good health to 70. Even Jesus a 1st century Jew of peasant stock gave the average lifespan of "3 score and 10". Contrary to very popular belief these people didnt peg it at 25. The speed a roman legion could march and then fight at the end of that march was very impressive(something like 40 miles a day). Alexander and his mates walked to India kicking arse along the way. The Zulu nations of Africa, farmers and hunters were famed for their fitness. They could cover ground at incredible rates and fight hand to hand battles at the end of it. They seem to have kept the best of the caveman and the farmers and were very healthy accordingly. So maybe their example is the better one to follow. The Mediterranean diet is well regarded as one of the best so we dont have to go making flint handaxes just yet. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

zenno wrote: »
    been there wrote two books on it

Sorry - do you mean to say you wrote two books on...'it' ???

Yes there is a link. Mostly, its a behavioural one. i.e. kids immitate their parents.

Agreed, but to some extent nature (genetic background and so metabolic differences) and nurture both matter.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depending on the particular environment. So an ice age hunter would have more limited diet options. That said the Inuit today have a very varied diet in a similar environment. Plus part of the success of us as a species is our dietary flexibility(which is part of our issue today though). We can survive on many different food sources. One dies out or the climate changes and we can go for novel foods(and genetically adapt quite quickly too). But from what Ive read about neolithic man yes they had a good diet. There are some good books out there on the subject.

Hunter gatherers today have a very good diet. Much more varied than the average westerner, with better omega 6/3 ratios, better quality meats and seasonal fruit and veg. Very little sugar, almost no veggie oils(except from seeds). While their longevity stats look worse than ours, the results are skewed by levels of childhood mortality. The diseases they're prone to are different. Obesity is pretty much unknown, as is type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and much lower rates of cardiovascular disease. Basically every western condition you account for they have less(including some interesting but incomplete studies showing much lower prevalence of depression). If they start eating more western diets this trend reverses. Archaelogists can tell you that in areas where hunter gatherers and early farmers overlap, you can spot the farmers. They're smaller, less robust and die younger.

The problem with following their diet wholesale is that we can have different gene's going on. "Farmer genes" that have evolved in the last 10,000 years. EG Most "cavemen" are lactose and gluten intolerant. But we could take a fair few leaves from their book of living. Eat less. Much less crap. More good protein, more organ meats(except liver I gather), more fish, more veg and fruit in season, more nuts etc. Good protein is harder for us to get. Our modern domesticated cattle are a far cry from antelope meat. Much higher in fat for a start.

Plus ancient man hunted the food, which is very good exercise. Much better than "gym" exercise IMHO. Its social and with a purpose. I once saw a programme where an american anthropologist was hanging out with Kalahari bushmen. He went on an antelope hunt with a guy who was in his late 40's and the american lad couldnt keep up with the older mans stop start pursuit and he was 15 years younger and a keen marathon runner. Native american braves used to catch horses by running them down until the horse was exhausted. :eek:

Even among farmer cultures look at the Greeks or Romans. A roman expected to live in good health to 70. Even Jesus a 1st century Jew of peasant stock gave the average lifespan of "3 score and 10". Contrary to very popular belief these people didnt peg it at 25. The speed a roman legion could march and then fight at the end of that march was very impressive(something like 40 miles a day). Alexander and his mates walked to India kicking arse along the way. The Zulu nations of Africa, farmers and hunters were famed for their fitness. They could cover ground at incredible rates and fight hand to hand battles at the end of it. They seem to have kept the best of the caveman and the farmers and were very healthy accordingly. So maybe their example is the better one to follow. The Mediterranean diet is well regarded as one of the best so we dont have to go making flint handaxes just yet. :D

Nice post thanks! :) I'm actually planning on ordering the plaeo diet and a few other anthro books for myself this summer when I have time to read really books again can't wait!

Agreed, but to some extent nature (genetic background and so metabolic differences) and nurture both matter.

Oh yes absolutey. I just get a bit antsy when people start blaming their genes too much - i always feel compelled to point out environmental factors. But ultimately the answer is 'nature via nurture'. Nature versus nuture is an outdated (and frankly...wrong) concept.

Aside: Sorry the way genetics are usually taught/understood is one of my pet hates.

Aside: Sorry the way genetics are usually taught/understood is one of my pet hates.

Ya theres a lot to it alright, once you start getting into it it's easy to see how it can be very easily misunderstood or miscontrued. I really wish I'd done genetics as my undergrad sometimes its so interesting :(

• Advertisement

Sorry - do you mean to say you wrote two books on...'it' ???

no my friend it was a figure of speech but i went through it all so basically i could write two books on it and damn can i tell you it is not for the faint of heart. people don't realise how bad it can be if your teeth are not looked after and the worst part of it all is if you let them go below the gum well thats a major operation there. so get those teeth in order. i don't want to frighten anyone but it's a bad day when you have to get that s*it done.

all this conversationism about fat obese people amazes me. DON'T EAT SO MUCH take regular excercise and change your diet to salad sandwiches and if you stick with that for a week you will already have lost alot. after the first week go onto meaner fresh fruit and veg . it all sounds so dreary but thats what you will have to do to lose weight fast and by doing this you are looking after your heart as well. it takes time but good focus on this weight loss regeme after a month you will definatly see and feel the difference and you will feel better mentally as well. all the good tasty stuff out there it's almost impossible not to tuck in to it but if you train your mind to dislocate itself from this habit then you are on a winner.

Ya theres a lot to it alright, once you start getting into it it's easy to see how it can be very easily misunderstood or miscontrued. I really wish I'd done genetics as my undergrad sometimes its so interesting :(

Oh to be honest I think sometimes its deliberately misconstrued....but thats a thread for another day:D Yeah its is quite fascinating - especially the emerging stuff like epigenetics (DNA methylation etc)
    zenno wrote: »
    no my friend it was a figure of speech but i went through it all so basically i could write two books on it and damn can i tell you it is not for the faint of heart. people don't realise how bad it can be if your teeth are not looked after and the worst part of it all is if you let them go below the gum well thats a major operation there. so get those teeth in order. i don't want to frighten anyone but it's a bad day when you have to get that s*it done.

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification zenno :)

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification zenno :)

no problem

well it looks like theres going to be alot of people on salad sambo's for the next week or two after reading this. well good luck to any of you that decide to look after yourselves a bit better it's damn tough getting out of the main eating habbits but if you have the willpower you will accomplish it easily and don't fall for the munchies what ever you do don't fall for that. be strict with your thinking and all will go well. maybe you already have lost a couple of pounds from reading these posts so thats a bonus

especially the emerging stuff like epigenetics (DNA methylation etc)

Ya I just started looking into methylation lately through doing folic acid stuff its mad stuff alright.

Your inbox is full btw I can't message you back!

Well if nothing else good comes from this thread, its prompted me to cook something halfway health rather than get a take away like I wanted to :P

Well if nothing else good comes from this thread, its prompted me to cook something halfway health rather than get a take away like I wanted to :P

Ha not me I had chips! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

This was my first foray into the after hours forum and I will not be back. The level of derogatory posts on this subject is just appalling. I will also not be back to read the replies to this as I'm sure I'll get slated and I do not want to be thrown off track in my own work by rude posters.

Being overweight may be a simple issue of taking in more calories than you expend but the reasons behind why a person does this are extremely important and unless you are being constructive with your comments and supportive you may do far more damage than good to many who are overweight.

I am overweight towards obesity. I have battled with it for years. I have issues with emotional eating, body image and self confidence. All of this results in a horrible cycle where when I'm dieting or eating healthily, unhealthy food becomes a treat. My self image and emotional well being becomes linked to whether or not I have lost weight that week. If I fall off track or eat something I shouldn't I hate myself for it and end up eating more because I get depressed about it. I am currently working through my body image issues, concentrating on exercise and a healthier diet and not weighing myself so that my progress is not dependent on weight loss.

I have a close friend who we discovered last year was anorexic (with bullemic tendencies) and has battled with similar issues. Until we found out the OP and several others here would have thought she was the perfect example of body image although it transpires that she saw a horribly obese person in the mirror. After she admitted it to the family (6 years in) she lost weight dangerously fast as she had lost her final "safe" zone as it is called where she had eaten properly and spent over 12 weeks as an inpatient last year learning how to eat safely again.

Having watched her battle anorexia and from my own battle with my own weight this type of thread (particularly the early pages) is just horrific to read. I'm only going on these two experiences but I know that anyone else with any kind of a body image issue that is contributing to their weight, be it obesity or the other extreme would have problems dealing with the comments made.

Personally I want to cry, how dare the posters in the early pages assume they are a better person than me and that they can look down on me because of my weight? It does not affect my profession, I'm an excellent employee. It does not affect your pocket-I have my own health insurance. I contribute to our local community-running a society, helping our local church. Why are you better than me?

And finally in response to the original thread title "Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?" the forty odd pages of this debate have shown exactly why it not socially acceptable to be fat/obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Wibbs wrote: »

I agree with some of what you said...but have a few issues! Yes the first two are on the pedantic side, and sorry for the gross generalizations!

First off, life expectancy in Ancient Rome was not 70 on average. Many historians place it around 30-40. Some Emperors lived until they were 60-70, but that is far outweighed by people dying young due to such a hard slog of a life. Gym exercise is much better for you than slogging away on a farm or building in ancient Rome. Chronic pain would be one downside.

The Romans and Alexander may have won wars, but they spent a huge amount of time doing so. Long periods of rest in the winter were a regular feature. They didn't just walk there, kick ass and move on (by and large anyway). Plus they were likely to be taking on less advanced societies or cities under siege etc. Massive defeats for the Romans at Cannae or the Teutoburg disaster show that taking on rested opponents is not a good strategy.

The zulus and the Mediterranean diet have much to admire, but I think we should incorporate them into our lifestyles. People that regularly use the gym and use it sensibly, are going to be in better nick than your typical Zulu or caveman. A fit, healthy person of today is much healthier than any other in history.

oh yeah

• Advertisement

Well be God if someone is eating that on a regular basis then they are going to have problems!!!
    The sad thing is if I ate that, in 2 days time it would show up on me. If my sister ate that (who is skinny as a lat) it would never affect her.

But I guess, maybe the sociably unacceptable people in essence are the people coming on here complaining about larger people. Takes all kinds to make the world.

Advertisement