Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying first 4x4, help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Slidey wrote: »
    The Paj should probably be cheaper than the A4 as there is far less stripping to get at the belt.

I work in an Isuzu garage and have DoE'd probably close to hundreds of Troopers and have yet to see a 3.1 conversion

AH JASE SLIDEY - THERE HEIPS OF 3.1 CONVERSIONS OUT THERE.
    THERES A GUY IN ENFIELD DOING THEM.
    THINK THE GEARBOX AND WIRING LOOM NEEDS TO BE REPLACED ALSO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Please stop SHOUTING! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Rovi wrote: »
    Please stop SHOUTING! :D

SAY WHAT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

SAY WHAT?

use lower case Durty, Caps demonstrates you are shouting on the net - LIKE THIS!!:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

dunsandin wrote: »
    Avoid anything with the word "Rover" written on it.

What, the whole Land Rover Range :cool:

Quite fancy the Defender 110 for myself (if I lived on a farm) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

00 Terrano Owner since 2004. 2.7TDi Turbo. With good off road or multi purpose tyres [€175 each] it will out pull and out mud drive a Land Rover.

There are more specified, many with sunroof and are reasonable on the diesel when kept serviced ~ upto about 30MPG.

However; they are rubbish to maintain and parts are expensive and of VERY poor quality, rubbers and front anti roll bars every three months, electrics are a disgrace, subject to phantom shorts setting off alarms and all lights. Instrument cluster fails individually ie, trip counter, backlit LCD, fuel gauge, main beam indicator etc, all need a €400 instrument panel replacement ~ madness. Nothing stays fixed on this car.

I should have got the Toyota Land Cruiser ~ but the sunroof on the Terrano swung me and it's a feature I love and use a lot ~ but otherwise ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 horsemad23

Just want to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice on buying my first 4x4.

I bought one recently and so far so good. Its a pajero '02, its a 2.5. SWB ......I know many of you won't be impressed but I didn't find a suitable 3.2 or 2.8 after looking through many garages, websites and magazines so I settled for the 2.5. Had a mechanic check it over and he can't see any problems.
    Also on the plus side the tax and insurance are cheaper than my '96 1.3, so happy days! :D

Now I just need to learn to park the thing! :eek:

So cheers everyone, if any one has anymore tips on running a 4x4 as cheap as is possible Id love to hear it! I'm thinking very easy on the right foot and getting a bus pass for rush hour traffic haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

horsemad23 wrote: »
    So cheers everyone, if any one has anymore tips on running a 4x4 as cheap as is possible Id love to hear it! I'm thinking very easy on the right foot and getting a bus pass for rush hour traffic haha
    Just keep it at or around 50mph, tyres inflated correctly and tracking done properly and you should be OK.
    Also remember to keep up to date on servicing and make sure the cooling system is 110% to avoid expensive problems down the road.
    Good luck with the Paj, hope it works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

horsemad23 wrote: »
    Just want to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice on buying my first 4x4.

I bought one recently and so far so good. Its a pajero '02, its a 2.5. SWB ......I know many of you won't be impressed but I didn't find a suitable 3.2 or 2.8 after looking through many garages, websites and magazines so I settled for the 2.5. Had a mechanic check it over and he can't see any problems.
    Also on the plus side the tax and insurance are cheaper than my '96 1.3, so happy days! :D

Now I just need to learn to park the thing! :eek:

I drove a LWB 2.5 pajero, and they were horrid slow but hopefully as its a SWB it might be a bit faster....

Keep any ear to the gearbox for any whines or rattling as they are first to go on any high mileage old pajeros

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Well Horsemad I have the 3.2l D-iD LWB Auto Exceed for three years and the only problem I had in all that time is the starter motor, so I have to say Im a big fan of the Pajero and will definately buy again. Well wear with yours and I hope she see you well like mine..

Regarding the manual, after driving a commercial Automatic for three years now Id never go back to manual. I mean the Pajero offers Tiptronic style manual in the Auto but I was surprised at how good it is.

Enjoy all the reversing!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement