Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands / Musicians Wanted - Venues & Promotion Guaranteed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

my point exactly there are bands here wuth a myspace profile of 20 plays in total , this is my point

When you say "My point exactly", who are you replying to?

Also, can i have a link to your MySpace? I've asked already. You can just say no if you wish!

Btw, the "20 views" comment is directed at me. The MySpace is a day old. However, that is of no consequence to my prior experience within bands, the music industry and in business in general. The Op is an unproven "Promoter" who nobody has heard of giving a bad deal. They have not even bothered to come back and answer questions asked of them. (Despite having logged in after the questions were posed, presumably seen the questions).

If you read the thread, you will realise you are the only one who believes being ripped off in this way is a good idea and you have shown nothing but naivity in your posts.

If you were "a real band , not some dusgruntled middle aged wannabees" you would not need to ask questions like:
    Originally posted by the hamburger
    hi yas,
    got a call from some new promotion crowd, looking to run or part run some of our gigs, basis deal we fork out 1/3 of venue, price, they get 2 other bands and we get 15%% back of the door, they promote, review the gig, whada ya think

and looking for advice on such topics as:

Originally posted by the hamburger

Hi,
    Just looking for help.
    We are doing a battle of the band comp in Cavan and there it is to be decided by voting.
    We are worried because
    1 we are scheduled to play at 6 which means in voting terms there will be nobody there bar us.
    2 you have to buy votes at 4 Euro-each and you have to buy as many as possible to win the heat!!!
    some bands are going to spend hundreds as the prize is to get a slot in a major festival in england.

any tips on how to progress bar going on at 10 and bringing wads of cash???

Thanks

You seem pretty adept at being ripped off and being happy about it.

Sorry if i am going off topic a little, but before throwing personal comments, you should maybe think first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 the hamburger

Yes your right , you shouldnt throw comments and dig up somebodys past posts, I have an opinion, you have an opinion. mine differs from yours.
    Just let it go- dont be angry try some chill music.
    If bands want to use this promotor let them, you cant controll others,
    say the serenity prayer- take it easy its only a forum.
    Ps i logged onto your myspace and think you are very good---

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

fight? fight? fight? fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    fight? fight? fight? fight?

Ha haha!! LOL! Nice on MilanPan!c....thanks for the laugh!

Seriously its like a schoolyard in here.
    It doesnt matter if Hamburger hasnt got a myspace with 100,000+ hits, he has an oppinion and is entitled to express it! Just like we all are!

Anyways back on topic...

Yeah OP seems like a Scheister to me..... its the "get bands to pay for the venue" that does it all right...:mad:

That said, it seems to me that bands that rely on gigs for their income (either entirely or partialls) seem to really have it in for promoters. While I'll agree that the majority of promoters are ****holes, there are a good few.
    I used to put on a couple of shows a few years back for bands and let me tell you....it ended up costing me overall about €500 out of my own pocket for a handful of shows.
    Heres what happened:
    The idea I had was to be an ideal promoter, so that I would provide everything for the bands equipment wise so they could focus on puttin on a good gig!
    I would rent the venue, €150+ depending on venue (usually about €200)
    print out a few posters and money off coupons for the door and give them to the bands. Cost = about €50
    As for the backline, I provided the drums myself, and 1 guitar amp. I rented a bass amp and a guitar amp for another €130
    I promoted the gigs, got my friends to go, put posters and online ads up, and told the bands to do the same.
    Engineer cost about €70
    So far the gig cost me financially about €450 and took years off my life energy wise!

Come the day of the gig, I brought in about 25 people myself via the online ads and friends. For a Wednesday night, it could of been worse AND considering that I myself wouldnt be playing....
    As for the bands....
    The main band brought in 8 people, 2nd band brought in 7 and the last band brought 3!
    No for the math....25 + 8 + 7 + 3 = 43. At €10 at the door, with €7 concession, most people were concession (all they had to do was mention the site where they saw the ad or have a coupon). If my records are correct, that night I had 39 concession, 4 normal.
    4 x €10 = €40
    39 x €7 = €273
    total = €313
    Running cost = €450
    Total LOSS = €137...out of my own pocket.

Its partly my fault for choosing lazy bands, but I was younger and naive and the bands all told me that they would email their fan bases and I was "promised" 30 people by one band......
    The only redeeming factor was that the main band played their socks off which was nice to see, even if the room was mostly empty!

Im not stupid, I know I did some things wrong somewhere along the line, but let me tell you after making a loss at 4 out of 5 gigs, I had had enough. Irish bands seriously need to wake up and realise that for the GOOD promoters (not like the OP here), and especially young promoters, that these people are only flesh and blood too and that if they can consistantly put on gigs especially for younger bands to give them a shot, the more experienced bands need to pull their weight until they are ready to put on their own shows.

Its very easy to knock and ridicule promoters but IMHO it has been the case that a few bad apples spoil the batch. But until you've put on shows yourself and seen how much effort and money can so easily go to waste if ALL parties involved dont do their thing, then I think the bands need to wake up and realise the business end of things.

Nowadays IMHO you're better off as a band to pool your resources together and do the whole gig yourselves. Cut out the middle man because if anything else, it will get you more driven to make it a success for yourself, instead of hoping a magical promoter will the people there for you. There is only so much one person can do for you, but the band armed with not only their tunes (a demo CD or whatever), but with a confident energy can attract people with more tangible proof than "oh come to my show. There is a great band playing. Heres the myspace link of the bands!"

.......Plus, you can make more €€€! :cool::cool::D:D:D

Yes your right , you shouldnt throw comments and dig up somebodys past posts, I have an opinion, you have an opinion. mine differs from yours.
    Just let it go- dont be angry try some chill music.
    If bands want to use this promotor let them, you cant controll others,
    say the serenity prayer- take it easy its only a forum.
    Ps i logged onto your myspace and think you are very good---

Yup, you're fully entitled to your opinion of course. And i was expressing mine, but you attempted a dig, so i responded. Sorry if any offence was caused by the way!

Oh and thanks for the compliment :D

I understand that some bands have no problem playing these gigs and will happily pay to play, that is fine! I have no problem with the bands.

But what i don't like is when i see people try to take advantage of this fact and exploit young bands for their own personal gain. Whether it be in music or any kind of industry, i dispise bottom feeders! They're the lowest of the low.

The OP could well be a very well respected promoter and promote incredibly! Get 100s of people to turn up and it could turn out to be a profitable time for everyone....... BUT there are a lot of Cowboys out there in it for a quick buck! And the more these Cowboys succeed, the more Cowboys enter the market and the more exploitation happens!

For the record, i am not calling the OP a bottom feeder :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thelastpartizan

Do you notice when someone is losing an argument on the internet they always come up with that same cop out "everyone is entitled to their opinion bull****" :mad:

Do you notice when someone is losing an argument on the internet they always come up with that same cop out "everyone is entitled to their opinion bull****" :mad:

Or resort to racism! :P

Where would the interweb be without racism eh? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Are anybody in this thread actually in a real band, a real promotor, Typical Irish people ye just want to knock anybody. If it was easy to make money there would be hundreds of promotors. We paly the small venues, bands dont even hang around to hear you play. In the uk bands support each other, saty at the gigs, I spoke to the Girl from pregnant nun, she seem ok look if we dont bring a crowd she dosent earn , but for goodness sake look at the uasual hants , pravda, the pint , whelans upstairs its depressing,we are happy to go along- because that is we are a real band , not some dusgruntled middle aged wannabees who comment on everything, again typical irish responce , if you dont understand it,knock it.

so lets see the other suggestions

Get off your high horse. a "real band"? Right, try being in an all original band, in the west of ireland, where there are no real audience for original music so all the gigs are in dublin, and mainly mid week. add in a full time job on top of that. Considering it takes around over an hour and a half to get home after a gig (and too the gig), and work the next day, i dont see why i should "feel bad" about not watching the band playing after us if they didnt even bother to say hello during the sound checks. last week i played a gig where i meet a fellow boards poster for the first time (pure fluke!), i made sure i seen their set. I find a lot of young bands are up their own arse, and just hand out with their own click at a gig.

if you dont understand it,knock it.
    we do understand it, we knock it because its mostly sh1t. If you dont want the advice of people that have years of experience why post here? or do you know everything? Ive been gigging for a good few years, and have been stung by doggy promoters in the past. once bitten twice shy, im just trying to pass my experience to young bands, as doggy promoters mainly target them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

miju wrote: »
    TBH being paid something from the OP would better than getting paid nothing. After all fresh air doesnt pay for studios or add to the bands kitty for promoting , furthering themselves.

Haven't heard much on Human Music so cant comment on them but I'd trust Papa Smuts judgement.

however, you have to pay part of the rental of the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bassbomber

galwaybabe wrote: »
    So, what will we get? A tenner each is it? I'm getting soooooooo sick of these so-called promotion offers. Anyone else with me on this? ~how the feck is anyone going to make a decent living from sharing the door with several other bands while giving 50% to someone who slaps a few posters up and whatever. GET REAL will ya!!!
    GOOD MAN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭stevood

We started out giggin with soundgate music who were very good to us and we rewarded them with numbers. As novices it was good to be shown all the basics and learn. It didn't seem to be about the money as they were music fans.

Now we do our own shows and support bands who do their own shows.
    Last October we got a nice 250 into the village for our Ep launch and cleared approx €1800 profit (all went towards cost of making the Ep)

We are releasing our first single May 28th in the vilaage and hope to build on this number.

We learnt the basics from the promoters, got some much needed experience and went on from there.
    I'd advise bands to choose who they gig with and find out as much information as possible before agreeing to the gig. If you like whats offered go with it. Otherwise don't. Try and help each other.

www.myspace.com/soundproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pauljotoole

Sounds interesting...
    pauljotoole@eircom.net:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

not some dusgruntled middle aged wannabees

i used to be one of them now im just an old wannabee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Get off your high horse. a "real band"? Right, try being in an all original band, in the west of ireland, where there are no real audience for original music so all the gigs are in dublin, and mainly mid week. add in a full time job on top of that. Considering it takes around over an hour and a half to get home after a gig (and too the gig), and work the next day, i dont see why i should "feel bad" about not watching the band playing after us if they didnt even bother to say hello during the sound checks. last week i played a gig where i meet a fellow boards poster for the first time (pure fluke!), i made sure i seen their set. I find a lot of young bands are up their own arse, and just hand out with their own click at a gig.

if you dont understand it,knock it.
    we do understand it, we knock it because its mostly sh1t. If you dont want the advice of people that have years of experience why post here? or do you know everything? Ive been gigging for a good few years, and have been stung by doggy promoters in the past. once bitten twice shy, im just trying to pass my experience to young bands, as doggy promoters mainly target them

I agree, I am also in a band in The west, The Paul K band, and we do ALL our promotions. Get on the phone, network, meet the venue owners, do the first gig for free and then charge for the rest, and, if you are well rehearsed, and tight, and different, and i stress different...you will do all right without promoters.It is EXTREMELY difficult to get gigs in the west, which is why bands in the west are more resoursefull. Check out www.thepaulkband.com to see how WE do things!!!!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Could i have a link to your MySpace please?

And, what is this obsession with Dublin?? There are other places in the country to play, you know!!!!

www.thepaulkband.com

greenpilot wrote: »
    And, what is this obsession with Dublin?? There are other places in the country to play, you know!!!!

www.thepaulkband.com

You quoted me..... what did i say about Dublin in that comment? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 culture vandals

i just think its really sad that a band has to PAY for the privilage to play a fecking gig.. whatever about paying for promotion thats fair enough, but paying a fukin venue just to get on stage.... makes me sick....and i know you'll all tell me how nieve i am for saying it, but feck it, it's just how i feel on the subject, as for them pregnant muppets... go way and claim the feckin dole will ye and stop complicating an already highly band unfriendly gigging system here in ireland....aghhhhhhhhhhh....

sorry if i'm ranting...bad day all round
    EdV

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Avaya79

i just think its really sad that a band has to PAY for the privilage to play a fecking gig.. whatever about paying for promotion thats fair enough, but paying a fukin venue just to get on stage.... makes me sick....and i know you'll all tell me how nieve i am for saying it, but feck it, it's just how i feel on the subject, as for them pregnant muppets... go way and claim the feckin dole will ye and stop complicating an already highly band unfriendly gigging system here in ireland....aghhhhhhhhhhh....

sorry if i'm ranting...bad day all round
    EdV

I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Just read this whole thread, very interesting.

I'm in a band myself. We're based in Limerick. I find it is very easy to get gigs here. Not making any money off it, but shur we don't care. But at least we're not paying to play to people. We've gigged in loadsa places like Baker Place, the underground, upstairs in Dolans, we recently headlined a night in dolans warehouse. We've been down to Cork, played an brog and fred zeppelins. These are all great venues. But we're looking to book a night in Dublin and like...it's crazy. I mailed a few venues we heard good things about. It seems we're just going to have to shell out to even get a decent gig. Maybe if we weren't all students, it would be easier. At the same time, gigging down the country won't get you nearly as far as gigging in Dublin. It's a nightmare.

I'd love to be able to afford to take the risk of booking a nice big venue in Dublin and promoting the **** outta it. But I just can't.
    stevood wrote: »
    Now we do our own shows and support bands who do their own shows.
    Last October we got a nice 250 into the village for our Ep launch and cleared approx €1800 profit (all went towards cost of making the Ep)

Fair play to you. I had a listen to your myspace there, yous sound really good!

If anybody is looking for a punk promoter in Cork. This guy called laserface booked some for us...great guy. He a gig in Fred Zeppelins we played at, we're doing another on 22nd May. Would totally recommend him. http://www.myspace.com/laserfacemusic You won't get paid much, but he promotes the gigs we'll, doesn't take any profit for himself. Just splits the door between the bands/posters/venue

My band is V.A.G. by the way. Or Very Angry Girls..
    www.myspace.com/veryangrygirls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

louloumc89 wrote: »
    But we're looking to book a night in Dublin and like...it's crazy. I mailed a few venues we heard good things about. It seems we're just going to have to shell out to even get a decent gig. Maybe if we weren't all students, it would be easier. At the same time, gigging down the country won't get you nearly as far as gigging in Dublin. It's a nightmare.</p>
    I'd love to be able to afford to take the risk of booking a nice big venue in Dublin and promoting the **** outta it. But I just can't.
    Well you know what to do then dont you? Get your ass onto mySpace / Facebook and find some Dublin bands to gig swap with.I can gaurentee theres plenty of Dublin bands who would love to get down to Cork
    PM me and I'll point you in the right direction if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Well you know what to do then dont you? Get your ass onto mySpace / Facebook and find some Dublin bands to gig swap with.I can gaurentee theres plenty of Dublin bands who would love to get down to Cork
    What exactly is a gig swap? I understand it in principle but how does it work in Dublin for example with all this pay to play mularkey going on?

galwaybabe wrote: »
    What exactly is a gig swap? I understand it in principle but how does it work in Dublin for example with all this pay to play mularkey going on?

Can be worked a few ways as theres no hard and fast rules.Either you support a Dublin band and they support you then down the country.Or you put joint effort into promoting both shows / share costs & profits of both shows.It's all down to who you come to an agreement with and making sure everyone is happy and understands the agreement. And more importantly actually keeps their end / puts the work in.Easier said than done sometimes.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Can be worked a few ways as theres no hard and fast rules.Either you support a Dublin band and they support you then down the country.Or you put joint effort into promoting both shows / share costs & profits of both shows.It's all down to who you come to an agreement with and making sure everyone is happy and understands the agreement. And more importantly actually keeps their end / puts the work in.Easier said than done sometimes.

Is there much benefit to playing down the country?

That's an honest question... not heard a lot of positive stuff about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Is it just me or has this thread gone off on a complete tangent ;-)
    Also, why isnt this girl replying to defend herself or answer any questions??

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has this thread gone off on a complete tangent ;-)
    Also, why isnt this girl replying to defend herself or answer any questions??
    Yes it has gone off on a bit of a tangent and I think it's fairly evident the reasons she's not replied to defend the indefensible.
    MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Is there much benefit to playing down the country?

That's an honest question... not heard a lot of positive stuff about it...
    Is there much benefit to playing in Dublin? Honest question from a fellow Dub ;)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You quoted me..... what did i say about Dublin in that comment? :confused:

Sorry, it came out arseways....I actually didnt intend quoting anyone!!!
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

The prize for most ridiculous thread goes to.....! How can someone like this expect any band to fall for their scam! Band pays for venue, band brings crowd, band plays, chancers run off with 50% of the profit promising other services which they may or may not live up to. Also, what if the venue cost is 500, 300 is made at the door, call it quits or do the bands only get 150 back and so suffer more of a loss? Is it any wonder so few acts in Ireland are getting anywhere with "promoters" like this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 culture vandals

Fandango wrote: »
    The prize for most ridiculous thread goes to.....! How can someone like this expect any band to fall for their scam! Band pays for venue, band brings crowd, band plays, chancers run off with 50% of the profit promising other services which they may or may not live up to. Also, what if the venue cost is 500, 300 is made at the door, call it quits or do the bands only get 150 back and so suffer more of a loss? Is it any wonder so few acts in Ireland are getting anywhere with "promoters" like this??

here here

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Cheers for the adivce. I do kind of like the idea of a gig swap. It's just hard to know that you're not going to go the whole way to Dublin for a **** gig, or paying the cost of travel and that to play for 10 people. I just sorted out a gig in the twisted pepper. I'm paying the venue upfront and hoping to make the money back. Got some support bands via boards. Working out well.

btw...I've gotten "my ass onto myspace" plenty. :P I just not super keen on the idea of gig swaps...for the aforementioned reasons.

I will pm you though for some direction, if we're looking to do a gig swap at some point. :)

Advertisement