Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands / Musicians Wanted - Venues & Promotion Guaranteed

Options
  • 18-04-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Pregnant Nun Productions is looking for new up and coming acts to play in a variety of venues in Dublin, and elsewhere in the Country.

We provide the Venues, Promotion & Marketing, Management and Production. We will have several bands playing at each gig. All we require is that the venue be paid by the bands that are playing, with 50/50 split between you and us on the door.

This is a fantastic no fuss deal, with everything arranged in advance, allowing you to concentrate on the music.

So, if your interested please drop us a line with your email address. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

So, what will we get? A tenner each is it? I'm getting soooooooo sick of these so-called promotion offers. Anyone else with me on this? ~how the feck is anyone going to make a decent living from sharing the door with several other bands while giving 50% to someone who slaps a few posters up and whatever. GET REAL will ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ldee

Pregnant Nun Productions is looking for new up and coming acts to play in a variety of venues in Dublin, and elsewhere in the Country.

We provide the Venues, Promotion & Marketing, Management and Production. We will have several bands playing at each gig. All we require is that the venue be paid by the bands that are playing, with 50/50 split between you and us on the door.

This is a fantastic no fuss deal, with everything arranged in advance, allowing you to concentrate on the music.

So, if your interested please drop us a line with your email address. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ha ha - i love a good laugh on a monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

What are you doing that's so different to all the other so called promoters up and down the country?

HA! So you don't even have any risk??!! What would give YOU the reason to put ANY work in at all?

I call charlatan!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

This sounds like a great deal for these chaps, they make a phonecall to a venue and make 100% profit from it.
    What production is offered???
    What promotion is offered???
    What's your level of managerial experience???

The music scene in Ireland is getting worse by the second because of arseholes looking to cash in on the naive.
    I just find it utterly depressing that there are people out there foolish enough to fall for it.

Anybody reading this, i'll offer FREE management and production services for any bands I like the sound of, I'll also organise decent gigs for ya'll, I won't pay for the venue but I won't ask for a cent of your takings on the door!!!
    I will gladly do this, not to make money but to try and make a stand, however small, against thieves like our good old thread starter here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

KeithTS wrote: »
    This sounds like a great deal for these chaps, they make a phonecall to a venue and make 100% profit from it.
    What production is offered???
    What promotion is offered???
    What's your level of managerial experience???

The music scene in Ireland is getting worse by the second because of arseholes looking to cash in on the naive.
    I just find it utterly depressing that there are people out there foolish enough to fall for it.

Anybody reading this, i'll offer FREE management and production services for any bands I like the sound of, I'll also organise decent gigs for ya'll, I won't pay for the venue but I won't ask for a cent of your takings on the door!!!
    I will gladly do this, not to make money but to try and make a stand, however small, against thieves like our good old thread starter here.

My spider senses are tingling...

Edit: No results for pregnant nun productions on teh interweb, except this thread. If someone wanted to make themselves look good in order to entice business it wouldnt be the worst thing to create a phony company to look crap and then join looking like youre the saving grace of the situation. Of course I could be wrong, but my skepticism runs deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Avaya79

Pregnant Nuns Productions....no sign of this on the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 FlyingCircus

+1 Eoin5 this smell bad.

Anyway another of these so called "promoters" that don't have a website or a mailing list............

charlatans Papa said and charlatans they are.....

Young bands stay away...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I was worried for a while, up until this sentense! Thank you for clearing it up that the bands are in fact getting a fantastic deal.

Well done Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar

(Waits for MilanPan!c to defend these guys)

eoin5 wrote: »
    My spider senses are tingling...

Edit: No results for pregnant nun productions on teh interweb, except this thread. If someone wanted to make themselves look good in order to entice business it wouldnt be the worst thing to create a phony company to look crap and then join looking like youre the saving grace of the situation. Of course I could be wrong, but my skepticism runs deep.

I'm not quite sure if that was a dig at me or not.......My Spidey sense seems to be acting up these days, gotta get that checked out!!

I'm in no way affiliated with anything going on here.
    I was just making a point that the music scene is run by miscreants like this and people need to step up to these folks and say enough is enough.

I was juyst saying that I would gladly help any band starting out with some basics and advise on what will be best for them if it meant the end of the this whole carry on and I'm sure there are lot's of people out there that would do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 the hamburger

I am in band from outside dublin and it pees me off to see comments like above.

bands in dublin cant make money
    venues have to be paid, sound engineers need money, posters need to go up adds need to be done. so let me see the hurlers on the ditch want someone else to do all the work swan into the gig , probally bring no crowd and collect their money please get real it doesnt happen , santa does not exist, where in dublin will you gat a share get get get real

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The easiest way of making a stand again "promoters" like the OP is to simply not gig with them and go to promoters who actually know how to promote, run and pay bands properly

Unfortunately, theres ALOT of naive bands out there.

venues have to be paid, sound engineers need money, posters need to go up adds need to be done. so let me see the hurlers on the ditch want someone else to do all the work swan into the gig , probally bring no crowd and collect their money please get real it doesnt happen , santa does not exist, where in dublin will you gat a share get get get real

hmmmm...

Have a read of this: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055398462

Especially this part:
    3) Co-operative promotion
    This is what I did when I was promoting gigs. It's an idealistic way of looking at things, but I chose this way. I book a good line up, with a strong main band, a strong 2cd band and a band to open that might not have that much experience onstage. I had a friend design the posters and fliers, print them at a budget print shop and give them to the bands to hand out/stick up as well as myself.
    When all expenses are met, (printing, hire of room etc.) all profits were then split equally with each band an myself as one unit. For instance if it was a three band bash it would be 25% + 25% + 25% + 25%=100%. If there was no profit, I took the hit out of my own pocket. That is the risk and is the challenge in booking acts.

Promoters as a general rule are greedy lazy bast*rds. There are some good ones out there, but generally they're the laziest shower I have ever met.

The only way to do it properly is to pay for the venue and put a lot of work into promotion yourself.

It will cost a couple hundred but if you do a good job you should at least break even, anything else is a bonus.

It's all about making a name for your band and making sure that when people come to your show they get good value for money and a good show. (Most promoters you meet don't care about that)
    If you do this and you are any good you will start to develop a good fanbase and fill venues and start to make money, it can and has been done.

If you want to make money from your band you need to treat it like a business and the first rule of business is you gotta spend money to make money.

Lad, you're the guy who wanted advice on things like this just last week!

Now you speak like an authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I'm not quite sure if that was a dig at me or not.......My Spidey sense seems to be acting up these days, gotta get that checked out!!

I'm in no way affiliated with anything going on here.
    I was just making a point that the music scene is run by miscreants like this and people need to step up to these folks and say enough is enough.

I was juyst saying that I would gladly help any band starting out with some basics and advise on what will be best for them if it meant the end of the this whole carry on and I'm sure there are lot's of people out there that would do the same.

Ah rite, when I saw:
    ...i'll offer FREE management and production services for any bands I like the sound of
    it kinda seemed dodgy, like you had created your own 'good cop - bad cop' routine. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

small bands dont need promoters, they just need to get up of thier arses and organise some gigs for themselves. If they cant do that , then they arent ready to gig.

Are anybody in this thread actually in a real band, a real promotor, Typical Irish people ye just want to knock anybody. If it was easy to make money there would be hundreds of promotors. We paly the small venues, bands dont even hang around to hear you play. In the uk bands support each other, saty at the gigs, I spoke to the Girl from pregnant nun, she seem ok look if we dont bring a crowd she dosent earn , but for goodness sake look at the uasual hants , pravda, the pint , whelans upstairs its depressing,we are happy to go along- because that is we are a real band , not some dusgruntled middle aged wannabees who comment on everything, again typical irish responce , if you dont understand it,knock it.

so lets see the other suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i have been in bands for many years playing originals and we've never used a promoter yet. We book and run our own gigs, as most bands do. I cant see A) why you're getting wound up and B) why you think its so hard to book gigs. Have you ever tried C) playing webgigs online?

Are anybody in this thread actually in a real band, a real promotor, Typical Irish people ye just want to knock anybody. If it was easy to make money there would be hundreds of promotors. We paly the small venues, bands dont even hang around to hear you play. In the uk bands support each other, saty at the gigs, I spoke to the Girl from pregnant nun, she seem ok look if we dont bring a crowd she dosent earn , but for goodness sake look at the uasual hants , pravda, the pint , whelans upstairs its depressing,we are happy to go along- because that is we are a real band , not some dusgruntled middle aged wannabees who comment on everything, again typical irish responce , if you dont understand it,knock it.

I'm sorry but this is funny. I hope the irony of you saying people are not understanding isn't lost on you.

• Advertisement

I think Human Music and Gigsmart are good promoters they don't ask anything just that you bring your backline you don't get pay but it's well organized check their website and you see who serious and who is a scammer.

OP look like a scammer to me "don't worry you pay and we split".....before doing that i would like to see her mailing list a proof that she already book ads on local radio,their website (at the moment non existant) update with my gigs (or other bands gigs), ads on local newspaper, posters.

None of of the above means scam to me.

and if she so cool why she does not reply defend herself that she is in good faith and explain to us what she can do for the bands?

I'll plus one on human music. And tbh, I'm not slating anyone here, but I have mixed views re: Gigsmart. I find them too obsessed with the RAWK! While Human Music seem to cater for a much wider range of genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

this is thread is like a dragons den pitch gone horribly, horribly wrong

I think Human Music and Gigsmart are good promoters they don't ask anything just that you bring your backline you don't get pay but it's well organized check their website and you see who serious and who is a scammer.

TBH being paid something from the OP would better than getting paid nothing. After all fresh air doesnt pay for studios or add to the bands kitty for promoting , furthering themselves.

Haven't heard much on Human Music so cant comment on them but I'd trust Papa Smuts judgement.

between get pay 50E for play in front of 20 of your friends and play Knockanstockan for free.......I choose Knockanstockan give you exposure and especially you can finally enjoy play a real gig just my opinion in the end......play The Pint in front of 20 of your friends and get 50E or play Button Factory with the place packed for free...I'm going for the second one.......fresh air don't pay I agree but in the end something can happen you never know

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

miju wrote: »
    TBH being paid something from the OP would better than getting paid nothing. After all fresh air doesnt pay for studios or add to the bands kitty for promoting , furthering themselves.

Haven't heard much on Human Music so cant comment on them but I'd trust Papa Smuts judgement.

If you just get rid of the cat you'll save at least 50e a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Bottom line is no one needs promotors till you hit the big leagues :)

If your music is strong enough, you record your ass off and you travel and work your ass off and promote like a machine from 9-9 everyday it will happen..... :D

If you write 5 songs and think the world owes ya then forget it. 1 a day is a good rule to stick to.

if you want to do 1 gig a month and hope for money, your already dead in the water, so hope you enjoy the day job for life....

so lets see the other suggestions

Could i have a link to your MySpace please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

and if she so cool why she does not reply defend herself that she is in good faith and explain to us what she can do for the bands?

I've being thinking that myself. Thought she would have replied by now :confused:

• Advertisement

my point exactly there are bands here wuth a myspace profile of 20 plays in total , this is my point

Advertisement