Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airside car park clamping

Options
  • 18-04-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Cut a long story short ... The wife got clamped today on B&Q car park. [ 120€ release fee :mad: ]

Just wondering since when there's a 4 hour limit ? ...
    The guy who came to release car told her that it started today ...

Vic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Think you answered your own question there.

Most retail parks I can think of have clamping nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

i was gonna say vote with your feet and dont shop in B&Q again, but parking there for over 4 hours?? I can underswtand why they are clamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I would have spent took the €120 and bought something that would remove the clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Hi,

Cut a long story short ... The wife got clamped today on B&Q car park. [ 120€ release fee :mad: ]

Just wondering since when there's a 4 hour limit ? ...
    The guy who came to release car told her that it started today ...

Vic

If it wasn't displayed prominently as T&C's of entry to the car park then I wouldn't have agreed to pay it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was there Sat and don't recall seeing any thing about a time limit on parking (nor clamping for that matter).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Personally if I had been shopping there and came out to find my car clamped I would go back to B&Q / Smiths or wherever you spent the most money ask for the manager and tell them" my car is clamped and I spent x amount of money here.I now do not have enough money to pay the clampers can I have my money back please"
    I know if it was my shop I would order the clampers to release the clamp.

However if you werent shopping there then that is diferrent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It has nothing to do with any individual shop, it's down to the management company for the site. Nothing a shop can do for you.

4 hours though seems like a reasonable time for parking/shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I have seen little signs up saying clamping in area.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

was up at b&q on sunday and noticed a guy putting a chain around a wheel of a golf, it seems to be the standard now cause they just introduced it into the industrial estate in finglas where i work. even if i went into every shop in airside i wouldnt be up there for 4 hours so seems like plenty of time, maybe people were using it as a park and ride for the 33 bus.

Paulw wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with any individual shop, it's down to the management company for the site. Nothing a shop can do for you.

4 hours though seems like a reasonable time for parking/shopping there.

I do see your point however if customers of the shops get clamped and they complain to the shops the shops can then complain to the management.

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    I do see your point however if customers of the shops get clamped and they complain to the shops the shops can then complain to the management.

I doubt too many would be in the car park over 4hrs, so not that many would be clamped.

Any clamped are less likely to be shoppers, and more likely to be using the carpark for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

It's a well know fact locally that Airside was being used as a Park and Ride for some individuals.

I am glad that cars who are not using the shops are being clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It's a well know fact locally that Airside was being used as a Park and Ride for some individuals.

Yup this is true. I see it every morning going to work. All the cars parked at the end of the carpark beside the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why would you be glad about something like that? :confused:

bcmf wrote: »
    However if you werent shopping there then that is diferrent.
    Paulw wrote: »
    Any clamped are less likely to be shoppers, and more likely to be using the carpark for other reasons.
    agreed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

There's always been a time limit in there, just wasn't overly adhered to.
    People have been using it as a park and ride for a while now, there's usually about 10 cars around the bus stop from people getting the 41x into work, I've also heard of people using it for Airport parking, which is crazy.
    I do think a 4 hour limit is adequate for the amount of outlets in Airside, I couldn't imaging spending more then 4 hours shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

airport parking now that is taking the piss.

they could make a bit of money if they market it as the park and ride. i have never seen that car park more than 60%

4 hours plenty of time if you shopping there alright.

120 quid release fee bit excessive too in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

My wife would easily spend 4 ohurs in there if were getting a job done on the house. Maybe the lady who was clamped was getting stuff for renovations. Pick Paint, Pick fabric, examine different cookers in D.I.D then compare them to Harvey Normans and go back and check prices....... Oh and maybe a cup of coffee. Perhaps they should do what they do in Castle shopping Centre, get your ticket on the way in and get it stamped where you make a purchase.

One thing for sure I would have been in to B & Q for something to remove the clamp. If clamping is in operation it should be prominantly displayed around the carpark, like train stations. I dont agree with people using it as park and ride facility

I would be phoning Fingal Independent and Liveline Radio.

Martron wrote: »
    120 quid release fee bit excessive too in my opinion

Standard fee for clamping these days.

i suppose its enough to make you think twice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

you're glad theyre being clamped? really? whys that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

How do they know how long you've been parked there? Timestamps from security cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

How do they know how long you've been parked there? Timestamps from security cameras?

Thats what I want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

you're glad theyre being clamped? really? whys that?

Because its not a park and ride facility for airport workers or people who work in the city centre.

Are you upset that clamping has begun?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thats what I want to know?
    It normal for them to take vehicle details early on then come back later - if the cars are still there they clamp them.

It's a bit of a give away if you park away from the shops perhaps near a bus stop or towards the car showrooms or leave your car well before the shops open

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

Because its not a park and ride facility for airport workers or people who work in the city centre.

Are you upset that clamping has begun?

no just didnt see it causing any harm, there's certainly plenty of spaces for people doing shopping... found it slightly odd that it would make you glad, does it personally affect you or you're just glad to see car parks used correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Beasty wrote: »
    It normal for them to take vehicle details early on then come back later - if the cars are still there they clamp them.
    Yeah, someone'd never go to a diy store, get something and come back later for something else. That'd never happen so the clamper's scheme is foolproof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Its only in recent years that there is a clamping company operating there.Before it wasn't uncommon to see people getting out of their cars and walking towards the bus stop with their suitcases. I suppose it was a no brainer as the its only 5mins on the bus to the airport. Now people are parking in Borimhe,the estate opposite Airside.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If they are they'll be in more trouble, the Borimhe clampers were notorious when i was there, even clamping my car when it was in a proper marked space while I was in work, as a "source" told them it was abandonded.

• Advertisement

ha ha i love those guys...... clamping an abandoned car...... where was it going if it was abanodoned.

thats one thing i dont miss from living in an aprtment

Advertisement