Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you afraid of?

Options
  • 17-04-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

everyone has something that they can't stand and it just gets to them,what's yours?

for me: my two big ones are mental disorders and being alone.It's one thing having problems in life in general,but when your own mind is out to get you and not on your side you are seriously in trouble,especially depression.It's hard when no matter what is going on you can't see the bright side,not a fun place to be in ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Cotton wool. Keep it away from me.

Oh, and if you touch/tickle my feet I will cry. Or kill you. Or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Terrified of dying in a housefire at night, no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Not too much in the way of practical things/strange fears, I guess heights would be one of them though. However, it's not exactly a crippling fear, I'm just uncomfortable with them. As far as anything else is concerned, I guess I've abit of a fear of failure these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I'm terrified of drawing attention to myself, being laughed at and other people not liking me. I never really feel as good as anyone else. It's a crappy way to live your life, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I was different.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I'm terrified of drawing attention to myself, being laughed at and other people not liking me. I never really feel as good as anyone else. It's a crappy way to live your life, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I was different.:(

+1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Dying unhappy. Dying without having achieved anything. Death in general.

I'm kinda squeamish around bees and wasps. I generally jump out of my skin if one suddenly buzzes by me. In saying that I'm not really scared of disposing of them once I'm aware of their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Prawns, I can't see them without gagging and my eyes welling up.

Terrified of dying alone also, no partner etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Planes. Absolutely petrified of being on them :/ I still GET on them but it's Valium city and I'm on edge for every minute of the flight.

Mice. Snakes. Terrifying stuff.

Being followed when I'm on my own. Something bad happening to those I love. That sorta stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Not achieving anything worthwhile in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Anatidaephobia- I fear that somewhere, ducks are watching me.

Really though, I don't have any real stand-out fears. The usual things like being on fire or parts of my body falling off are just unpleasant, not really something I'm afraid of happening. Generally I don't like being around people I don't know, but it's not really a fear, I just immensely dislike the idea of deliberately getting to know other people.

I really don't think there's a lot in the world to be afraid of, but that's probably because I'm an idiot with a very dulled sense of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

phlegms wrote: »
    Not achieving anything worthwhile in my lifetime.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'm a massive arachnophobic. If I see one I can't stay calm knowing it's even in the same room as me. If I saw a big one like a tarantula I'd probably have a panic attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

My parents dying.

Not getting into college next year.

scream.jpg

^ Scream masks really scare me. I had to get a friend of mine to take his off at a houseparty two halloweens ago. Can't stand them!

keith-flint.jpg

Keith Flint used to really scare when I was a kid, I was terrified of him! Grown out of that one though thank god:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Afraid of rejection (though its probably the most realised fear I think, sometimes..)

Otherwise, afraid of loosing everything and everyone I have through some unknown/undecided events. Strange stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

MavisDavis wrote: »

Can you imagine biting it ? :pac:
    I'm the same. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Haha when I was about three my old man used to show me the video for Firestarter, not surprisingly I'm a massive fan aged 16!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

For some reason the puppets from the Dolmio ads freak me out, no idea why.

Apart from that no strange fears, just the normal hights and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Oh, should add I'm scared ****less of gas. Think I was somewhere where there was a gasleak when I was a kid and it freaked me out. For example my mother asked me today to go light the BBQ and I ran and hid until I knew that someone else had safely lit it and it wasnt going to explode...

Yeah, I'm wierd... haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

A few I forgot....

the-muppet-christmas-carol-50th-anniversary-edition-20051220045446879-000.jpg
    ^ Marley's ghosts in a Muppets Christmas Carol. Embarressing how much those puppets scare me:o

it-clown.jpg

It. "wanna balloon Georgie?" Actually clowns in general, and especially this bed!:eek:

500full-the-simpsons-screenshot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Germs. It's ridiculous, I just have to wash my hands so many times everyda
    y!

I'm scared of getting something like alzeimhers when I'm older too. The thought of being completely dependent on others is just so weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

MavisDavis wrote: »

People have failed to take me seriously when I told them to stop touching my feet in the past, they regretted it :pac: it's worse when I'm sharing a bed with someone and their toes innocently graze the sole of my foot in the night, I nearly jump out of my skin.

Birds is my big one. I can make myself reason it out til the cows come home that no, the birds probably aren't going to kill me, but it makes no difference. I feel really uneasy knowing there's one nearby and have to keep an eye on it, and if I'm walking down the street and see a pigeon I will stop and wait for someone else to scare it into flying away (well I don't do that all the time anymore but I still want to). Ducks and swans I can handle, but crows, pigeons, thrushes, swallows, anything like that, no way (AND YES STUPID ROBINS ARE SCARY TOO). I don't know what it is, some combination of their feathers (which I think are gross), their beaks, their claws, their eyes on the side of their heads, the way they move so fast and strangely, ugh, nightmares now!

edit: what makes that weirder is that I'm absolutely fine with spiders, mice, rats, snakes, all the usual creepy crawly animals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Dogs. I'm absolutely petrified of dogs. Like, if I even see one, I'll tense up and be completely aware of its every move until it goes away/we're far enough apart for me to relax. If it gets close to me, I'm likely to scream and run, or scream, freeze and cry. Usually there's tears involved at some point. It's a really, really bad fear.

Not a huge fan of cats, either... or animals in general, tbh. (I like animals... just not near me). Not as terrified, but not entirely comfortable around them either.

Fire also makes me uneasy. I used to be terrified of my house going up in flames (part of that seemed to be to do what I would do if I had to run out of my house in the middle of the night - sometimes I'd stay awake making plans for things I should grab when leaving so that we could survive when we had no house, and how I'd get my family out of the house, while also getting stuff we'd need). Pretty sure that started when one of my teachers said that an average house can burn down in three minutes, so you've three minutes to escape. She probably made it up, she was pretty crazy... but like, I planned my three minutes well all the same. Not afraid of that anymore, but I still don't really like flames, generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Spiders :eek:, balloons and wool between my teeth! Dont know where that came from but I reckon as a child I mustve put some in my mouth and pulled it through, eek!

On a rational level Im scared of rejection and of losing family members and loved ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I can't really think of anything I fear greatly beyond the standard things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ally7 wrote: »
    Germs. It's ridiculous, I just have to wash my hands so many times everyday!

+1. Health freaks ftw! Or as arcade panda said earlier, my parents dying. Or the thought of my sisters dying at a young age. But hopefully everyone will be safe and healthy for a good while more *touches wood*

i'm scared senseless of vampires & bats ever since I was little. And walking on my own while someone is following me makes me paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm going to be a typical girl here, and say all insects, spiders, etc. Spiders would be the worst. They just creep me out to no end, one of my friends was saying they wanted a tarantula, and I told them if they get on, I won't be able to go into their house. They're called creepy crawlies for a reason. Butterflies and moths are pretty up there too, being brought to a butterfly farm was a horrible experience. *Shudders*

Also, it's not really a fear, but I can't stand the sight of any kind of shellfish. I literally get sick if I see them, this did not bode well when I was in Malaysia.

Other than that, nothing weird really, just the usual death, and being unhappy ones. Or walking down really isolated places after watching a scary movie terrifies me. I nearly cried walking home after seeing paranormal activity. I also get pretty freaked out being by myself all night in my house because it's a really creaky house so always sounds like there's someone else in.

This wouldn't really be a fear either, but I can't stand feet. If someone tries to touch my feet or has no socks on it creeps me out a ridiculous amount. I really just find them gross.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm scared very easily. Must work on that. But the insects would probably be my worst.

Edit: +1 to soccy's fear of vampires. I've had a recurring nightmare about them since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

The future. Just really scares me thinking about it...:(

The dark would be another but that's quite normal I'd say. If I'm walking home by myself in the dark I start to imagine that there's people in the bushes after me!:o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

kateos's fear of butterflies applies to me too tbh. Don't see them out alot these days because of the crap irish weather but when I see one, I literally run a mile! I loved them and used to dance around with them in the back garden until I was like 7 (yes, i sadly did that..) but then I saw a picture of one up close in a textbook.

No more dancing and floating about after that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thunderstorms. Hate hate HATE them.

I used to be a lot worse when I was younger. It was a full blown phobia for a fair few years. I'd check the weather forecast several times a day and freak out if they mentioned so much as a "slight possibility of thundershowers". If there was any sign of darkish clouds in the sky I'd watch them obsessively - their direction, their shape etc. and try and determine if there might be thunder. I'd also lie in bed at night and if I heard trailers on the road I'd freak out, thinking it might be thunder.

Bear in mind that this is IRELAND and we have approx 3-5 thunderstorms a year. Bloody hell, I forgot how bad I was. Still hate them but at least it's not a total obsession anymore :P

Advertisement