Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How open about sex are you with your mates?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i dont understand peoples prudishness about talking about sex its a very irish thing

if you dont talk to girls about sex your not going to be very good at it imo, all the bst tips that iv been given, and i mean game changing tips here, have been from really good female friends who i would never sleep with but who we would be very open to eachother about our sex lives with. and i would give them tips too, everyone gets better

i understand the image of guys talking to guys is simply boasting but i dont think its as simple as that

i ask my friends advice and they ask me advice all the time saying that thats somehow ungentlemenlike is such an outdated view
    I really don't understand how tips from another person could improve your sex with someone that much, let alone define how good you are in bed.

I mean, the only tips they could give you that aren't really obvious or well known, would be specific to what they enjoyed, which isn't going to generally improve your sexual ability.

The one person who getting tips off is a good idea, is your partner. If you can't talk to them about sex properly, then you have a prudishness problem.

But it's not prudish to not wish to talk in detail about your sex life with your friends (nor would it be ungentlemanlike if you were to do so, btw, no one in the thread said that.)

I just see it as an intimate thing between my gf and me. To me, excessive talking about it would be a bit like discussing any secrets my gf has told me with my mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

there is a fine line between tips if someone asks you and talking about your own relationship and getting into specifics.

Me I am a private person and what i get up to in bed is my own business and it would be a breach of confidence.

that doesnt make me a prude and as HD says its your partner you talk too. There are lots of on-line resourses books and shops around if you need more.

Anyway -why make other people jealous cos they dont measure up. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would never say, "Guess what we did last night!" etc. I do talk openly about sex with my friends when I have a question or something. I might say "Have you ever tried X" and a discussion would lead from that. I try not to get too specific, but with a couple of extremely close friends, I wouldn't be too bothered.

I have one friend who completely over-shares about her sex life, and it's kinky in the extreme. When she talks about it, part of me is horrified and part is fascinated. Her boyfriend would kill her if he knew what she told people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i dont understand peoples prudishness about talking about sex

i don't think it's necessarily prudish.

if i wanted to, i could have a very open frank conversation about sex with my friends without feeling remotely abashed, but i just don't want to as it's a private matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was more reacting to thses two replies
    Cicero wrote: »
    Is this the Gentlemans' Club?...Oh thanks for pointing that out....sorry, thought I was in AH there for a minute.....my mistake.......................
    CDfm wrote: »
    there is something not very classy about it

whatever you personally decide to talk about or not is your business judging other people for what they talk about is prudish and backward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be inclined to keep details about sex in a relationship private. (side note: the notorious Japanese filmmaker Takashe Miike, who will not show sex between a loving couple in one of his films as it is 'private')
    That said, I'd have no qualms telling my mates all the gory details of a romp I had with some random slag I picked up at the local roller disco. (again, like Miike)
    However, if I had say a problem with Mister Peeps, there are a few friends who I would not hesitate to ask them for advice. (luckily it hasn't happened yet, but I'm a young man and... I think I'll stop right there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

It would depend who I was talking to. One or two would be quite comfortable to have a full on conversation about sex, whereas most would only need the vaguest details. If I had more that would listen I'd prob talk about it with them more.

To have a conversation about sex doesn't mean you'd have to talk about what your current partner likes or doesn't like. Or even about past partners. Some tricks or techniques are pretty much universal. We've all been doing it long enough to know what works and what doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

krudler wrote: »
    she mentioned that she told her friends that I gave her the best oral she'd ever had
    You only made this thread so you could post this.
    krudler wrote: »
    if your friend started going out with said booby lady, you'd never mention it again..
    It definitely would be mentioned again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

When I was younger (teens) my friends would all have really detailed discussions about sex. But now that we're older, we only really talk about it when:

a: Something amusing happens. e.g. "We were in bed the other night and as I was moving to do X, I hit 'Dave' in the face with my boob and he fell out of the bed!" :p

Or

b: When we have a question about something.

Otherwise we're all really private. I think it's just seen as respectful to your partner and your relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Only when something hilarious happens in bed or if someone actually asks "So what did you do with to/with her ?" or "Is she any good in bed ?" for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What happens in the bedroom, stays in the bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

sam34 wrote: »
    i don't think it's necessarily prudish.

if i wanted to, i could have a very open frank conversation about sex with my friends without feeling remotely abashed, but i just don't want to as it's a private matter.

Big +1.

I have a big sense of a private life being private. I never liked the idea of former girlfriends talking to their friends about anything that I felt was a matter between us, sex included.

The general idea/stereotype that woman tell their friends EVERYTHING always bothered me. I always gave my girlfriends credit for the ability to respect the privacy between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

1. Insert penis
    2. Rotate
    3. Dont say thanks

..............thats all I got

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yep I think we all know the code- if it's random girl and you are asked, the details generally are as graphic or as crude as you can express. As immature and uncalled for as this is nobody gets hurt you look like an absolute stud in front of your mates. In short tell them what they want to hear.

With a girl your friends know or that you are in a relationship with this should NEVER be the case. As said private is private. It comes down to respect for girl and the intimacy you hold with each other. When in a relationship there is no need to talk about it anyway. Like I know what my friends are like and what their girlfriends are like. They're more than likely at it. What more needs to be said. If Mary likes throatjobs or Aoife has a foot fetish? I'm not really needing of that information.

I found this out the hard way in one of my first relationships. One of my friends was housesharing with a girl I ended up seeing and after a while when they asked about herself and myself, I let rip with all the very very gory details of what, when, where, how? Of course every single bit of it got back to her. She was rightly pissed off with me greatly upset. She nearly lynched me. I really was immature and didn't know any better at the time. That's what guys do right? WRONG. A very valuable lesson I've learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why does it seem acceptable to talk about one nighters but not relationships? Seems to be a common answer on the thread. Don't see the distinction myself.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

There's only 1 of my mates that i would openly talk about EVERYTHING with. He's the type that wouldnt judge you at all, and probably says "ive done that too!".
    In saying that, i would only talk to him about it if i had a problem, or if he did an needed some advice. As for the ladies, i know the OH tells her friends stuff. but we have an agreement, there's only a certain amount of detail she can go into. And she respects my privacy. And i respect hers.

I think an answer to K-9's question is that, respect. Most people who have 1 night stands dont have respect for the other person because chances are, they'll never see them again. Different in a relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

What happens in the bedroom, stays in the bedroom.
    What if it doesn't happen in the bedroom?
    I think an answer to K-9's question is that, respect. Most people who have 1 night stands dont have respect for the other person because chances are, they'll never see them again. Different in a relationship

Yea, that's pretty much how I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

K-9 wrote: »
    It isn't prudishness and in this day and age the best tips don't have to be garnered from friends.

I don't brag about something I'm good at, defeats the purpose!

I agree, I but I also think it's a bit cheap to reveal details of your intimate life. I've been in the company of other women that revealed all sorts of lurid details and was a little uncomfortable.

I'm no prude and I talk about these things with clients in my day to day job, but I don't want to know the size, shape, and performance of my friend's partner's pen1s!

I'll probably be having dinner with them soon and the conversation will flow a lot better if random thoughts about their sex lives aren't popping
    into my head :eek:

On once occasion, I witnessed two competitive women considering whether one boyfriend's oral skills outweighed the other's ability to go for 30 minutes. It was all a little ridiculous to be honest, though I suppose as someone who's very happy with my sex life it's easy to remain tight-lipped about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

generally it depends on the person as to how much i do and dont tell however i think iv spoke about sex on some lines with every one of my mates. Especially the funny or unusual ones. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

im extremly open with my mates. hell they even know how often i masturbate:D but no seriously i dont think id go into detail with anyone about my sexual activities but i have no problem talking about it. its just specially if im with someone i really like i dont want my mates thinking of her in the sack

• Advertisement
Advertisement