Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How open about sex are you with your mates?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Was chatting to the missus the other night and we got talking about sex (as you do) and she mentioned that she told her friends that I gave her the best oral she'd ever had, and I was a mixture of pride:D and embarassment:o that she talked about me to her friends like that, not in a bad way, just she said she went into a fair amount of detail.
    She asked would I tell my friends about stuff we did and I told her in basic terms if the topic comes up but not in overly graphic details, I told her its a guy thing. You dont really want your friends knowing what your missus gets up to in bed I guess, its one thing bragging about a one night stand or something, but what is it about men that we get so offended if another guy thinks of our lady as a sexual object? Its very silly as I know I've probably ogled women who were mothers and daughters and sisters and what have you, but why is it so different for men and women to talk about their partners? Is it just a guy thing? Like for instance if you saw a girl on a night out and she had a great pair of boobs, you'd happily point it out to the lads, but if your friend started going out with said booby lady, you'd never mention it again..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There maybe 2-3 mates that I would be very open with...as in blow for blow account if it's a one night stand.

If we are in relationships it's very different. We keep the info for ourselves.

I am getting married in August and I dont need the buddies looking at her at the Alter knowing

a. she likes to tied up and spanked...
    b. likes sleeping with women
    c. and loves anal

:o

Hence I am marrying her...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be pretty open with my mates and so would they. Id have a fair idea what their partners like, don't like, are good at and aren't. Funny not so much with my women mates, but they would with me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Gotta find me a woman like that. Right now though just a woman would do now though:o

I wouldn't go into too much detail after even a one night stand. I might say what she looked like with no clothes on, or how long we went at it for. Never too much though. Some things are better kept to yourself for those long cold lonely nights.
    But Definately wouldn't say anything like that if I was in any sort of relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Talking to your friends about sex is an important step on the road towards a threeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 studioguest

There maybe 2-3 mates that I would be very open with...as in blow for blow account if it's a one night stand.

If we are in relationships it's very different. We keep the info for ourselves.

I am getting married in August and I dont need the buddies looking at her at the Alter knowing

a. she likes to tied up and spanked...
    b. likes sleeping with women
    c. and loves anal

:o

Hence I am marrying her...

lucky b**tard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I keep it formal at all times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not a kiss and tell sort tbh. I mean, I'd discuss some things, but not in a way that might reveal the lady in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Boston wrote: »
    Talking to your friends about sex is an important step on the road towards a threeway.

That deserves to be copywritted :p

Nah, talking to your friends about your sex life other than in the vaguest terms always strikes me as a bit pervy of the person and voyeurish of the audience.

Not something I would like tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

id side with khannie...

I dont really disscuss that kinda thing...My friend once turned round and said to me about a one night stand that the girl wouldnt lie there straight and do nothing... he had to ask her to lie still...

No Joke. I bit my lip...

Personally its not something that Id disscuss simply because im quite a private person..Tho talking with a girl im quite happy dissucss things if shes taking part :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Boston wrote: »
    That pretty much sums up why I never do, and why I find it weird when other people do. Makes no sense to me why some guys want to bring in other people to something so intimate and private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I cant even say the word "tit-mouse" without giggling like a schoolgirl

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't tell my mates too much, mostly because I almost never have anything to tell. :(

Having said that, over the past few months I did have some stuff to talk about. I didn't really go into details about this and that, and what we did. One mate asked me how far I'd went with this particular girl and I told him but that was as much detail as he got.

I have to admit though, one of my friends is great to talk to about stuff. He's the kind of guy that no matter what you tell him, he never seems to judge you, or make you feel bad or stupid. It's quite rare. I told him about a particular issue I was having and it turned out the same thing occurred to him. Made me feel a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I'm a girl, but I don't actually *talk* to my friends about sex... I guess I don't want to horrify them, and more to the point they wouldn't want to know.

Don't think my boyfriend is overly graphic with his mates either. I think they're of a similar "ewww, TMI" opinion.

Shame really, cos I'd quite like to boast :P But that's what the blog's for I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

as a woman, i wouldnt really discuss the ins and outs (sorry, had to be done!) of my sex life with either my male or female friends

just seems a private matter, tbh

eg, none of my friends know how many men i've slept with - it's not a high number by any means, i'm certainly not ashamed of it, but as far as i'm concerned it's my business and nobody elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

there is something not very classy about it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm a girl, but the extent of sex talk with my friends is, "Was he good?", "Yeah, was alright.", "Cool, do you like my new shoes?".

I suppose every so often there'd be a bit of, "Oh my god, you'll never guess what he did in bed the other night..." or "Have you ever tried X?".

I dunno. If I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't be bothered telling all of my friends what he's like in bed. I just kind of feel like it's none of their business. I wouldn't be particularly bothered by what he was telling his friends though.

I've no idea why I don't talk about sex more with my friends actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Given that I've a girlfriend, I don't talk about it at all with my mates.
    I'd also be fairly pissed off if she did and would consider it a breach of trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Is this the Gentlemans' Club?...Oh thanks for pointing that out....sorry, thought I was in AH there for a minute.....my mistake.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

See it as a private matter too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MediumWell wrote: »
    Given that I've a girlfriend, I don't talk about it at all with my mates.
    I'd also be fairly pissed off if she did and would consider it a breach of trust.

That's what it's always been like with my group of mates. If any one of us is with anyone we don't talk about the bedroom antics at all. It's just an unwritten rule. Nobody says anything about it and that's the way it's always been. The only thing they might mention the odd time is if they haven't had any action in a while and that's the extent of it.

We would comment on one offs in a bit of detail here and there but not on anybody we are with or anyone we know or are close to, it's just not done.

If any girl was going into detail like that with her mates she would be quickly shown the door because it is a breech of trust and any of the lads in our group would be of the same mind set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

for me I'd never talk about a current girlfriend to a mate in any graphic detail and even at that it would have to be a very close friend.

Unfortunately for me I'm one of the mates who gets to hear too much from the other lads. One friend of mine in particular I actually asked not to email me what he was getting up to with his now ex. Could never look at her the same way after without a little snigger to myself.

pawrick wrote: »
    for me I'd never talk about a current girlfriend to a mate in any graphic detail and even at that it would have to be a very close friend.

Unfortunately for me I'm one of the mates who gets to hear too much from the other lads. One friend of mine in particular I actually asked not to email me what he was getting up to with his now ex. Could never look at her the same way after without a little snigger to myself.

Hmmm sounds a bit too forthcoming with the details!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

my friends knw pretty much everything male and female friends

not in a bragging way more of a talking to learn more way

i dont understand peoples prudishness about talking about sex its a very irish thing

if you dont talk to girls about sex your not going to be very good at it imo, all the bst tips that iv been given, and i mean game changing tips here, have been from really good female friends who i would never sleep with but who we would be very open to eachother about our sex lives with. and i would give them tips too, everyone gets better

i understand the image of guys talking to guys is simply boasting but i dont think its as simple as that

i ask my friends advice and they ask me advice all the time saying that thats somehow ungentlemenlike is such an outdated view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'd be fairly open to discuss my sex life generally ...if someone asked....I dont volunteer the info to my friends (or even strangers) ...and I dont ask them for their details - although I have been bugging a friend who was travelling the world to show off his "sex tapes" ...he claims he made while travelling - I think its all talk.

so I dont give specific details - unless ...its kinda like.... erm...any of you guys ever try this ? or ... is this normal for her to ????....lol

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i dont understand peoples prudishness about talking about sex its a very irish thing

if you dont talk to girls about sex your not going to be very good at it imo, all the bst tips that iv been given, and i mean game changing tips here, have been from really good female friends who i would never sleep with but who we would be very open to eachother about our sex lives with. and i would give them tips too, everyone gets better

i understand the image of guys talking to guys is simply boasting but i dont think its as simple as that

i ask my friends advice and they ask me advice all the time saying that thats somehow ungentlemenlike is such an outdated view

We talk about sex all the time very casually among friends, girls and guys even when we're out as couples. Making crude jokes whatever the whole nine yards.

The line not to cross is very personal intimate details about current relationships or past relationships of people we know and are still close to. That's just out of common respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Could never understand this whole talking about sex with your mates...fair enough if there's a problem in that department.
    But nearly every person I know that constantly talked about it are those that suffer from low self-esteem etc and it seems like they think talking/bargging about it will actually boost it.:confused:
    To be honest the only sex life I care about is my own..I couldn't give a rat's asses about anyone else's and certainly don't want to hear about it.

We talk about sex all the time very casually among friends, girls and guys even when we're out as couples. Making crude jokes whatever the whole nine yards.

The line not to cross is very personal intimate details about current relationships or past relationships of people we know and are still close to. That's just out of common respect.

ye of course just like everything else dont be a dick about it you can have a perfectly respectfull conversation about sex with your friends

im not talking about with anyone here by the way we all know who are close circle of trusted friends are

ye of course just like everything else dont be a dick about it you can have a perfectly respectfull conversation about sex with your friends

im not talking about with anyone here by the way we all know who are close circle of trusted friends are

Touche this evening.:rolleyes::confused:

• Advertisement

It isn't prudishness and in this day and age the best tips don't have to be garnered from friends.

I don't brag about something I'm good at, defeats the purpose!

Advertisement