Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Fail of the Year Awards

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Semesterisation
    What?

They were always had at the end of the year in Freshman Science, in my 3 years in TCD so far anyway.

Where did you get that information from?

I just assumed that was the case. What are these people whinging about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm not exactly sure who "those people" are. You seem to know their opinion, so perhaps you should ask them?

I for one am not very happy the changes, but little has really changed for my course in terms of workloads at the end of the year. The changes in terms seem to have been a waste of time and money more than anything else, and I cannot see the benefits of TCD's implementation of semesterisation. That's all I'll say as it's not getting my "fail of the year vote" and that's what the thread is about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Semesterisation
    I just assumed this was the case because I've been hearing a lot of rabble about semesterisation and it hasn't really affected me. I might have had a bit of a bigger workload this second term but that is to be expected in final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Semesterisation
    Denerick wrote: »
    I just assumed that was the case. What are these people whinging about then?

I guess the fact that exams are a whole month earlier but no benifits have been gotten from it (the expected benifits were christmas exams). Some courses found it hard to get all the work covered and a lot of people found themselves with large amounts of coursework to do when they really should have been studying for exams.
    The problem wasn't really semesterisation itself, more the implimentation of it. Which I guess being it's first year, things like that were bound to happen. I'm not sure of the results of the refferendum, but even if christmas exams are not brought in i think most departments will improve on this year, now that they have something to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Trinity Ball/ another college ball
    A huge issue for me was the fact that we finish modules in December and aren't examined in them until April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

devinejay wrote: »
    A huge issue for me was the fact that we finish modules in December and aren't examined in them until April.

Me too its a nightmare. Second semester work has suffered as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

Well for me it's the fact that we now have to take 6 subjects per year instead of 4, meaning a heavier workload and more contact hours and not enough has been taken out of each course to compensate. As a result, our classes only finished last week leaving very, very little time to revise everything without distraction and even just to feel like there's a bit of time to sort things out. Our lecturers have really struggled to cram everything we need into the courses and who can blame them - we came here for an education, not the bare bones of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I'm just wondering last year did you only get two weeks off before the start of Summer exams aswell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering last year did you only get two weeks off before the start of Summer exams aswell??

Open to correction on this but I think there was a small break around easter and we finished in june.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Craguls wrote: »
    Open to correction on this but I think there was a small break around easter and we finished in june.

Yeah I think that's it.

We had one week off between the end of lectures and the start of exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Mark200 wrote: »
    Yeah I think that's it.

We had one week off between the end of lectures and the start of exams.

No, we had two. The Trinity Ball was always at the end of Trinity Week, which was always followed by another week before exams started.

Hilary Term used to end around March time, after which there was a three-week gap (like there was after Michaelmas Term at Christmas) before the six-week Trinity Term began.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

No as you can check on the Calendar by going back to last May, Trinity Week used to begin on the Friday of Week 6 of Trinity term, with Trinity Ball, the following Monday was Trinity Monday and then exams started a week later.

The break between Hilary term and Trinity term was 3 weeks which was a good time to start reviewing material for exams; also at least in my department the Sophister courses (not sure about Freshmen ones) finished up a few weeks before the end of Trinity term to allow more time to revise. May or may not have been common throughout college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

The Topless Tuesday Haiti Fundraiser was a pretty huge FAIL; http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=263315977667&v=wall&ref=search

Also; The Rag Ball must be considered a contender too.

The Topless Tuesday Haiti Fundraiser was a pretty huge FAIL; http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=263315977667&v=wall&ref=search

Also; The Rag Ball must be considered a contender too.

+1 for the Rag Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Semesterisation
    I initially voted for the SU Elections, because semesterisation didn't seem that bad. Now I have realised that semesterisation is probably the reason exemptions are gone, so screw you semesterisation. I don't want to study. :(

The not being examined on semester 1 stuff until April/May thing is also pretty dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Other - please specify

Always been like this in science...

Always been like this in science...

But what about us poor engineers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

Now I have realised that semesterisation is probably the reason exemptions are gone, so screw you semesterisation. I don't want to study. :(

Actually, according to the Scholar's Report, they got rid of exemptions because they thought people were just doing the Schol exams just to get exemptions, not because they actually were aiming for the scholarship. Which was quite true for a lot of people ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

gaeilgeboy wrote: »
    Actually, according to the Scholar's Report, they got rid of exemptions because they thought people were just doing the Schol exams just to get exemptions, not because they actually were aiming for the scholarship. Which was quite true for a lot of people ...

It was put forward as a problem by some people with the set-up, but it wasn't in and of itself the reason exemptions were gotten rid of. Ultimately the semesterisation issue and the need for courses to fulfill ECTS stuff were the over-riding reasons that exemptions were gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Semesterisation
    I don't understand why they can't give exemptions in courses that finished before Christmas though... And surely if it's "no exemptions for people who aren't trying to be scholars", scholars should get exemptions.

I'm just lazy really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

+1 for the Rag Ball

Ents in general was just. :eek:

Bar the Trinity Ball. I enjoyed the Trinity Ball.

Advertisement