Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I meant as in a straightforward heads down thrash album

It’s a little more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It’s a little more than that

10 songs in 28 minutes vs 8 songs in 40 plus minutes says different.

There are a lot of different textures on MOP.

10 songs in 28 minutes vs 8 songs in 40 plus minutes says different.

There are a lot of different textures on MOP.

Bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bollox

far better musicianship also, even though theres nothing wrong with slayers work, they were exceptional at what they done

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    far better musicianship also, even though theres nothing wrong with slayers work, they were exceptional at what they done

All I said was up as far as 89 90 the gap wasn’t as big as it is now , since that post I’ve had to defend RIB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wow I haven't heard lars play that well in years, fair play to him.

Lars has been pretty solid for the last 7 odd years now TBH. He was very sloppy from around 2004 to 2012ish but clearly must be practicing more regularly these days.

The man was always a decent drummer, just the whole Napster hate and then him readily admitting he didn't really practice around the era I've mentioned above has mostly lead to the "Lars is a crap drummer" meme you see all the time online.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Being off the road may prove to be a good thing for Lars, IF he can get regular practice in these days.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Being off the road may prove to be a good thing for Lars, IF he can get regular practice in these days.

Lockdown has proven how right lars was fighting Napster , some top musicians are currently earning nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Lockdown has proven how right lars was fighting Napster , some top musicians are currently earning nothing

Heard Lars may have to sell another painting alright:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lars has been pretty solid for the last 7 odd years now TBH. He was very sloppy from around 2004 to 2012ish but clearly must be practicing more regularly these days.

The man was always a decent drummer, just the whole Napster hate and then him readily admitting he didn't really practice around the era I've mentioned above has mostly lead to the "Lars is a crap drummer" meme you see all the time online.

In the 80's he was one of the best thrash drummers around and unjustice imo is his best work, I've definitely noticed him improving the last couple of years, he's seems to have gone back and learned the songs properly instead of adding in weird fills that don't fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

All I said was up as far as 89 90 the gap wasn’t as big as it is now , since that post I’ve had to defend RIB

No need to defend it. It's a brilliant album in its own right, all I'm saying is that MOP is a far more diverse, rounded piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In the 80's he was one of the best thrash drummers around and unjustice imo is his best work, I've definitely noticed him improving the last couple of years, he's seems to have gone back and learned the songs properly instead of adding in weird fills that don't fit.

Yeah, as a drummer myself, he was one of my big influences growing up and he is for many. Lars has some great drum parts throughout Metallica's catalogue, so I have always found that meme pretty amusing.

I think he started to take the foot off the pedal around the Black album era, still solid, but maybe a bit more loose and then around the mid 00s he got sloppy. If you don't practice drums regularly, you lose that bit of finesse, the muscle memory (for the most part) will still be there but you literally will be out of drumming shape if that makes any sense.

Those odd drum fills are the sure sign of a player that simply doesn't remember the part he/she is playing so you improv. Not good.

I think the lack of partying he does these days has helped also.

Completely agree with this, I wasn't particularly happy about the whole Napster thing at the time, but over time I've realised he was absolutely right, he always said it was about protecting artists and their income stream, and time has proved he was right, artists are getting screwed in this digital age

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Easy now to say with what 20/21 years of hindsight, but they were slaughtered for it at the time... Lo and behold...

You'd have to wonder, had the demo version of I Disappear not wound up on Napster, would things have turned out as they are now? Or would there have been a different outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not sure I fully understand the 'Lars was right' sentiment.

I would have thought that the current streaming model is also a massive factor when it comes to musician's earnings these days and from my understanding Lars is pretty chummy with Spotify founder Daniel Ek.

S.M.B. wrote: »

I would have thought that the current streaming model is also a massive factor when it comes to musician's earnings these days and from my understanding Lars is pretty chummy with Spotify founder Daniel Ek.

the fact that he was one of the few that seen the potential serious negatives for all artists, in particular younger up coming ones, is something to be respected, he always used this argument from the beginning, and he was right

metallica's revenue stream is self managed, nothing to worry about. the majority of other metal bands are screwed.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Easy now to say with what 20/21 years of hindsight, but they were slaughtered for it at the time... Lo and behold...

You'd have to wonder, had the demo version of I Disappear not wound up on Napster, would things have turned out as they are now? Or would there have been a different outcome...

i said the same thing when it happened

flemming rasmussen is afraid to touch the original reels of RTL and MOP as he is afraid they'll disintegrate as there is so many drum edits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the fact that he was one of the few that seen the potential serious negatives for all artists, in particular younger up coming ones, is something to be respected, he always used this argument from the beginning, and he was right
    That's fair enough. There's no denying that Napster and the dawn of file sharing at scale on the internet led to a devaluation of music which has had a massive impact on young and up coming artists and Lars was front and centre of that battle in the early days.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. There's no denying that Napster and the dawn of file sharing at scale on the internet led to a devaluation of music which has had a massive impact on young and up coming artists and Lars was front and centre of that battle in the early days.

he could foresee the potentials of its dangers, most didnt, including myself

one result of demonetarization of music is there are no more rockstar excess stories :)

band biographies from now on will be mental health dominated and no more snorting ants off breasts while getting a bj from a 6ft.5 trans sex robot while getting your taint tickled by a dwarf

i saw a band interview on the dire RTE show "other voices" and the band kept talking about their "squat" after the 5th mention of it the presenter asked "you have a squat?"

turns out it's a name they have for the shed in their mothers garden

one result of demonetarization of music is there are no more rockstar excess stories :)

band biographies from now on will be mental health dominated and no more snorting ants off breasts while getting a bj from a 6ft.5 trans sex robot while getting your taint tickled by a dwarf

i saw a band interview on the dire RTE show "other voices" and the band kept talking about their "squat" after the 5th mention of it the presenter asked "you have a squat?"

turns out it's a name they have for the shed in their mothers garden

at least some artists are starting to realise how significant maintaining well being is in such an environment, but that environment is what it is, so stories of excess will probably always exist in it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yeah, as a drummer myself, he was one of my big influences growing up and he is for many. Lars has some great drum parts throughout Metallica's catalogue, so I have always found that meme pretty amusing.

Not really a meme but I always found this amusing :D

Just watched a cliff interview and he pronounced Samhain as “saw-win” which closer to the Irish pronunciation than any other American attempts “Sam-hane”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Just watched a cliff interview and he pronounced Samhain as “saw-win” which closer to the Irish pronunciation than any other American attempts “Sam-hane”

I remember watching QI and they said Earth has an orbiting asteroid named after an Irish king called "Crew-ith-nee". It baffled me a bit as that didn't sound Irish at all. It turned out it's called Cruithne ("Crih-neh" would be an english approximation). I hope someone pulled Stephen Fry up on that butchery of the Irish language when he was on Ros na Rún a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not really a meme but I always found this amusing :D

Dream Theater fans slagging of Lars? Seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Granadino wrote: »
    Dream Theater fans slagging of Lars? Seriously??

Who doesn't slag Lars sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Mushy wrote: »
    Who doesn't slag Lars sure?

Even Lars slags Lars!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNK2P0-n5e9/

#BlackAlbum2021 eh? Time for the 30th anniversary boxset?

Advertisement