Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

James's health issue mustn't be too serious then?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I would imagine these were all arranged - and contracts signed - before James went in to rehab... they must also feel James will be back and ready to rock by the time May 2020 comes.

https://www.metallica.com/news/2020-10-10-five-festivals-ten-shows.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

klose wrote: »
    I think form 83 to 88 there's still even a big difference in hetfields vocals I wouldn't group those years together personally.

Good point there.

I'm mainly into the guitar sounds and riffs, which I think were the best in that '83 to '88 period. Something was just not the same afterwards (with the exception of sad but true).

Re the vocals though there was indeed a transition, not to mention lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Did you all enjoy the trip to the cinema? I am going tonight. Wondering how my wife will cope!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Did you all enjoy the trip to the cinema? I am going tonight. Wondering how my wife will cope!

is it still being shown in some cinemas, was one night only where im from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    is it still being shown in some cinemas, was one night only where im from?

They added another night (tonight) for the smaller cinemas from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

About as likely as Lars saying he was wrong about Napster

but he was kinda right wasn't he?

I’m probably disagreeing with most on here but to me, money is the bigger driver for Metallica touring over the love of it. But don’t get me wrong, that’s the same for 95% of bands, no matter what they say and I’d be the same too.

They’ve been millionaires since the mid 90s but millionaires want to be multi millionaires and multi millionaires want to be billionaires and Metallica are safely in the multi millionaire category now but that doesn’t mean the drive to be richer isn’t there.

I know the show is expensive to put on and they’ve a huge crew but they’re still pulling in big bucks. And the meet and greets and backstage tickets? Do you honestly think Lars is doing that for the love of it or is it the €1500 ticket?

No one here knows exactly what drives them so we’re all just guessing anyway.

to be fiar they were happily doing free meet and greets up to the hardwired tours and continued to do the fan club free ones but ive a feeling the enhanced experience ones were pushed on them by management as part of the business model..why else would james attend those and not the fan club free ones..management told him he had to

Well the band certainly enjoy making money. Tour ticket prices are frankly a rip off these days and meet and greets prices are pretty obscene too, but if people are just dying to pay for them then you can basically charge whatever you want really.

Whether that comes from the band themselves or management is up for debate.

Metallica could call it a day tomorrow and still be raking it in.

metallica tickets are no more expensive than any other band playing similar venues and are still cheaper than some artists..and the meet and greets were free up to 3 years ago and they still do free ones for fan club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

[QUOTE=Leppard Messiah;111488399]metallica tickets are no more expensive than any other band playing similar venues and are still cheaper than some artists..and the meet and greets were free up to 3 years ago and they still do free ones for fan club[/QUOTE]

Ticket prices for music acts is sky rocketing all the time. Metallica, however,r charged top dollar to see them at Slane. 90 quid for a ticket to see them in essentially another county is pretty poor form, there certainly was no consideration for the typical fan, more to the point the younger fan who has fook all money for such events.

I forget how much the Golden Circle was but I reckon pushing 200 quid? I could be wrong. That's astronomical and no consideration for the typical fan again.

Look, Lars wanted to play Slane and tick it off his bucket list and fair play to him. But it was hardly an ideal venue for a metal gig. But they are Metallica, they can basically do what they want.

The Meet and Greets ain't free now. That may be a diktat from management, that may be from the band themselves, who knows really. I don't know about Fan Club level.

It's a free market out there. Metallica can basically charge what they want for whatever they want and dedicated fans will lap it up. It's your money at the end of the day; I don't particularly care how people spend it either but to charge that amount just to be in the pit and to meet the band is, to my eyes, pretty obscene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ticket prices for music acts is sky rocketing all the time. Metallica, however,r charged top dollar to see them at Slane. 90 quid for a ticket to see them in essentially another county is pretty poor form, there certainly was no consideration for the typical fan, more to the point the younger fan who has fook all money for such events.

I forget how much the Golden Circle was but I reckon pushing 200 quid? I could be wrong. That's astronomical and no consideration for the typical fan again.

Look, Lars wanted to play Slane and tick it off his bucket list and fair play to him. But it was hardly an ideal venue for a metal gig. But they are Metallica, they can basically do what they want.

The Meet and Greets ain't free now. That may be a diktat from management, that may be from the band themselves, who knows really. I don't know about Fan Club level.

It's a free market out there. Metallica can basically charge what they want for whatever they want and dedicated fans will lap it up. It's your money at the end of the day; I don't particularly care how people spend it either but to charge that amount just to be in the pit and to meet the band is, to my eyes, pretty obscene.

What does the bit in bold mean? Should it be cheaper cos its not in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

to be fiar they were happily doing free meet and greets up to the hardwired tours and continued to do the fan club free ones but ive a feeling the enhanced experience ones were pushed on them by management as part of the business model..why else would james attend those and not the fan club free ones..management told him he had to

Management work for the band, not the other way around. Management could have said if you want to earn x, you'll have to do y but there's no way the managers are making band decisions without their approval.

Mushy wrote: »
    What does the bit in bold mean? Should it be cheaper cos its not in Dublin?

The cheapest tickets for Slane where up the side of the hill there, miles from the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The cheapest tickets for Slane where up the side of the hill there, miles from the stage.

Oh yeah, that was a farce alright. Makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Management work for the band, not the other way around. Management could have said if you want to earn x, you'll have to do y but there's no way the managers are making band decisions without their approval.
    This, and I would not be surprised if Metallica are pretty hands on when it comes to this stuff.

I'd be suspicious that they were well aware of what was happening regarding the Live Nation resale controversy that surfaced earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tbf the production Metallica put in for the shows is up there as the best if not close. That stage set up was insane. Think 90-100 for slane for all things considered was great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

klose wrote:
    Tbf the production Metallica put in for the shows is up there as the best if not close. That stage set up was insane. Think 90-100 for slane for all things considered was great value.

Its also important to realise, artist costs of running a show, is only one element of overall costs, there's a long list of payments to come from those ticket prices, it's always easy to single out the artists fee from this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

90 quid for a ticket to see them in essentially another county is pretty poor form

Lads giving out that they never played the lands in donkeys and then complain about where when they do :rolleyes:

not sure what your comment about slane being in another county is about?

the fan club meet and greets are still free.

ticket prices are no different to what other major acts are charging

as you say yourself if you don't want to pay then dont!!

just find it weird that he attends the enhanced experience ones but not the free fan club ones...maybe he feels if people pay then he should give them their 5 mins

• Advertisement

Lads giving out that they never played the lands in donkeys and then complain about where when they do :rolleyes:

Fans are allowed to have different opinions to your own.

not sure what your comment about slane being in another county is about?

the fan club meet and greets are still free.

ticket prices are no different to what other major acts are charging

as you say yourself if you don't want to pay then dont!!

Scroll back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Firstly the debacle about a Zone A or whatever it was called was purely down to MCD and it didn't even go ahead. A farce for sure but hardly the band's fault. So for 90e you could have been just behind Gold Circle, not in another county.

Golden Circle was 160e or so. I agree too much money but again the Promoter has as much to answer for here as the band. I believe that Metallica have a fee, something in the region of 2-2.5m per show and it's up to the promoter in how they recoup this alongside making a few bob themselves.

A bit lost in relation to your claim that Slane was a bad venue for them. The show got pretty much universal acclaim and is known as a rock venue so not really sure where you're going with that assertion.

Meet and Greets: If James and Lars didn't want to do them, they wouldn't. I'm sure they'd tell their employee management team the same thing

Degag wrote: »
    Firstly the debacle about a Zone A or whatever it was called was purely down to MCD and it didn't even go ahead. A farce for sure but hardly the band's fault. So for 90e you could have been just behind Gold Circle, not in another county.

Golden Circle was 160e or so. I agree too much money but again the Promoter has as much to answer for here as the band. I believe that Metallica have a fee, something in the region of 2-2.5m per show and it's up to the promoter in how they recoup this alongside making a few bob themselves.

A bit lost in relation to your claim that Slane was a bad venue for them. The show got pretty much universal acclaim and is known as a rock venue so not really sure where you're going with that assertion.

Meet and Greets: If James and Lars didn't want to do them, they wouldn't. I'm sure they'd tell their employee management team the same thing

The band (or rather Lars) picked Slane as the venue.

Yeah you could be just behind the Golden Circle; but a considerable distance.

It's Slane.

It's grand for Foo Fighters, I guess.

MCD are a joke granted but Metallica charge these prices. They have certain packages for this world tour which, overall, represent poor value for money IMO.

Regarding Meet and Greets... I'm pretty sure the band more or less do what they are advised to do by management which makes sense. They would not be the band they are today if they did not. Plenty of evidence for this going by SKOM.

I don't know if they actually want to do Meet and Greets, perhaps they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Loved S&M2 setlist was pretty good and surprising

The outlaw torn was magical

Just back from the flicks.

It was excellent,very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fans are allowed to have different opinions to your own.

Of course but I'm sure you'd share the same opinion if you didn't have gigs close to your doorstep and werent pushed about travelling 3 hours for shows 95% of the time perhaps :D

Of course but I'm sure you'd share the same opinion if you didn't have gigs close to your doorstep and werent pushed about travelling 3 hours for shows 95% of the time perhaps :D

Nope it would still be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

The band (or rather Lars) picked Slane as the venue.

Yeah you could be just behind the Golden Circle; but a considerable distance.

It's Slane.

It's grand for Foo Fighters, I guess.

MCD are a joke granted but Metallica charge these prices. They have certain packages for this world tour which, overall, represent poor value for money IMO.

Regarding Meet and Greets... I'm pretty sure the band more or less do what they are advised to do by management which makes sense. They would not be the band they are today if they did not. Plenty of evidence for this going by SKOM.

I don't know if they actually want to do Meet and Greets, perhaps they do.

You seem a tad bit bitter for some reason but anyway.....

Metallica (or Lars) most certainly did not pick Slane. They may have had a desire to play there but make no mistake they were picked to do the show.

Not entirely sure what your gripe is with the ticket prices. I mean, yeah complain about prices in general but i would say "bang for buck" to see one of the biggest bands in the world currently, with their production, you are getting alot of value for money compared to other acts.

Regarding the packages.... i wouldn't pay 2000+ but i couldn't afford that anyway. It's all relative. Some people may think its great value.

Your comment about being a considerable distance back from Gold Circle..... dunno where to go with that really. Is it not similar to being in Row Z at the 3arena?

Degag wrote: »
    You seem a tad bit bitter for some reason but anyway.....

Metallica (or Lars) most certainly did not pick Slane. They may have had a desire to play there but make no mistake they were picked to do the show.

Not entirely sure what your gripe is with the ticket prices. I mean, yeah complain about prices in general but i would say "bang for buck" to see one of the biggest bands in the world currently, with their production, you are getting alot of value for money compared to other acts.

Regarding the packages.... i wouldn't pay 2000+ but i couldn't afford that anyway. It's all relative. Some people may think its great value.

Your comment about being a considerable distance back from Gold Circle..... dunno where to go with that really. Is it not similar to being in Row Z at the 3arena?

Not in the slightest. I applaud any band or individual that has made a success of themselves.

That tends to be the case with promoters and artists, Metallica (or Lars) had a preference for Slane certainly, no doubt the size of the stage production played a part also.

My gripe is that they (the tickets) are far too expensive for what they were i.e fairly crappy GA tickets given the venue and a lot of younger fans would have missed out.

It's not remotely similar, you can't compare Slane with the 3 Arena which has great views even if you are in Row Z and you know this yourself.

In any even this debate is relatively redundant; the gig was in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are a live band this was even hammered home more to me after watching s&m2 the other night. The sound and production was streets ahead of the last 3 albums they released.

I can remember paying about 60 to see them in the rds 15 years ago, it was a bog standard stage with basic enough production. You can't compare to what we say at Slane which cost an absolute fortune to put on. Your paying for the spectacle now and when it comes to slane you are definitely paying for the uniqueness of the venue even though it's awful.

Advertisement