Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I think this is pretty cool?? Bear in mind it's only a 30 second clip.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=603384

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I think this is pretty cool?? Bear in mind it's only a 30 second clip.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=603384

Here's the full version. Go to the bottom of the page and play,song starts around 6.10

http://www.radioeins.de/programm/programmbeitraege/aktuell/ray_davies___kopf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A few people slag Lars drumming off, one of my fav Metallica gigs was the one where he didn't turn up due to illness at Donington.

I was stood wit Paul (Singer of Breed77) who had opened the stage that day, he'd told me Lars wasn't there.

Now listen to this and tell me the last time Battery has been played like this

Oh ffs.

Don't tell me we're starting the old Lars Ulrich "Is he or isn't he good anymore?" "debate" again???

He's the f**king drummer of Metallica. It's his band. Get over it.

Oh and yeah, he is still good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

He's lucky to be the f**king drummer of Metallica. It's James' band. Get over it.

Oh and yeah, he is still sh!te, untalented and lazy.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I've noticed the last couple Metontour videos the sound has been improved.

you can finally hear everything lars does now including kicks.. so yeah the double bass :pac:

Hopefully this will finally put the bed the views some people have that lars doesnt do double bass live, as he clearly does

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ehealo

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I've noticed the last couple Metontour videos the sound has been improved.

you can finally hear everything lars does now including kicks.. so yeah the double bass :pac:

Hopefully this will finally put the bed the views some people have that lars doesnt do double bass live, as he clearly does

One thing I know about Lars and the double kick live is the St. Anger is a no no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Metallica: Classic Albums currently on Sky 1 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I laugh because I'm told that Lars is giving away a drumming lesson for charity, and I'm thinking, what could someone who pays all that money for charity expect to learn about drumming from Lars Ulrich in an hour.

I would think basic beat and rhythm and then just a general 45 minute chat about Diamond Head and Metallica:D followed by Lars having to leave 5 minutes early because he's got a prior dentist appointment and he can't cancel again

Although I'm glad to see the money going to a good cause

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote: »
    Metallica: Classic Albums currently on Sky 1 at the moment.

That was the black album one wasnt it? Good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

That was the black album one wasnt it? Good show.
    Yep! On again tonight on Sky 2

In 1986, Primus mainman Les Claypool auditioned for the then-vacant bassist slot in Metallica following the death of the group's previous bassist, Cliff Burton. James Hetfield remarked that Claypool was not awarded the job because "he was too good" and that Les "should do his own thing."

In a brand new interview with Citypages, Claypool was asked if there was any truth to Hetfield's comments.

"I'd say, that's an untrue story," Claypool said. "I mean, James said on VH1 'Behind The Music' that I was just too good, but ah, he and I were hanging out quite a bit during that time when they did the VH1 interview.

And I said, 'What the hell are you guys talking about, you didn't want me, you thought I was a freak!' And he just laughed. Ya know, I showed up with a bleach blonde mohawk and wearing baggy skater pants, and two different colored tennis shoes. They were all in black with tight pants and the whole bit... But they have a great guy now; they've got Robert Trujillo, who's one of the nicest guys in the business."

Bit unusual this last bit, you'd wonder if there was a bit of friction between himself and Jason Newsted, perhaps the story about Hetfield wanting Newsted out of the band within a month was true

Bit unusual this last bit, you'd wonder if there was a bit of friction between himself and Jason Newsted, perhaps the story about Hetfield wanting Newsted out of the band within a month was true

That's probably true, but something i don't think we're ever gonna know, there'd be no point in James mentioning that now.

As for Jason, Far and Away my most liked member of Metallica ever, the guy was so fcukin cool and fan freindly.

After a show on the Justice tour in Manchester in 88 the band came out the front door to avoid the fans, James dived straight on the bus, Kirk signed 2 auto's (1 for me), Lars signed a dozen or so and Jason just stayed there for 30 minutes till everyone was sorted.

He got a raw deal thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

F*ck me but I love the guitar solo in Ride the Lightning. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

F*ck me but I love the guitar solo in Ride the Lightning. Awesome.
    it is a masterpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Bit unusual this last bit, you'd wonder if there was a bit of friction between himself and Jason Newsted, perhaps the story about Hetfield wanting Newsted out of the band within a month was true[/QUOTE]

Both Hetfield and Ulrich wanted Newstead out after a month or so but were told to put up and shut up by their management (Mensch/Burnstein) as Metallica were starting to break big time and their management feared that another bass replacement would break the momentum that was built up at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

A few photos from the recent gig in Sydney (September 18th), was due to leave on the 17th but stayed an extra night to take in the show. First time I've seen them indoors after countless outdoor concerts,

Set list was; That was just your life, The end of the line, Ride the lightning, Fuel, Fade to black, Broken, beat and scarred, Four Horsemen, Sad but true, Sanitarium, All nightmare long, One, Master of Puppets, Fight fire with fire, Nothing else matters, Enter Sandman.

Encore; Breadfan, Hit the lights, Seek and Destroy.

dscf9915.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dscf9870.jpg

dscf9876.jpg

dscf9887.jpg

dscf9906v.jpg

dscf9909m.jpg

thanks for sharing, these guys need to get off the road now, so that they can get back on as soon as possible....they've really outdone themselves with this tour, not that it compares to the touring they did at the start of the 90's

• Advertisement

Holy crap,what a setlist!!:eek:

Brisbane,night #3.

That Was Just Your Life
    The Four Horsemen
    Ride The Lightning
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    The Unforgiven
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    I Disappear
    Sad But True
    No Leaf Clover
    Orion
    One
    Master Of Puppets
    Fight Fire With Fire
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Blitzkreig
    My Apocalypse
    Seek and Destroy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

They played Orion :eek:. What I wouldn't give to see that played live. That is one hell of a set list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

thanks for sharing, these guys need to get off the road now, so that they can get back on as soon as possible....they've really outdone themselves with this tour, not that it compares to the touring they did at the start of the 90's

It's amazing. This tour (not counting the preliminary dates) is two years on the go. I cannot believe that it is 19 months since I saw them at the 02 in London and 14 months since the Marlay Park gig. Death Magnetic has been a very useful reinvigoration of Metallica.

Fear not, the well earned rest is coming. Lets hope we will see them in the near future !

Het-Field wrote: »
    Fear not, the well earned rest is coming. Lets hope we will see them in the near future !

Apparently 2011 will see 10 gigs at various locations around the world in celebration of the band's 30th anniversary as a group. Probably will hold a concert, and film it, in Radio Studios in Anaheim....ask Diamond Head to open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

lord lucan wrote: »
    Holy crap,what a setlist!!:eek:

Brisbane,night #3.

That Was Just Your Life
    The Four Horsemen
    Ride The Lightning
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    The Unforgiven
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    I Disappear
    Sad But True
    No Leaf Clover
    Orion
    One
    Master Of Puppets
    Fight Fire With Fire
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Blitzkreig
    My Apocalypse
    Seek and Destroy

Man I love that song.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Man I love that song.

Which one?:D

They played Orion :eek:. What I wouldn't give to see that played live. That is one hell of a set list!

Check out the video i posted up the page,it's Orion from a couple of weeks ago in New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Which one?:D
    The highlighted one?

Apparently 2011 will see 10 gigs at various locations around the world in celebration of the band's 30th anniversary as a group. Probably will hold a concert, and film it, in Radio Studios in Anaheim....ask Diamond Head to open!

The tour ends next month so i'm thinking (Hoping) that they make an announcement this year about these shows next summer.

If only 10 gigs worldwide i think the closest we can hope for will be UK

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    The highlighted one?

Sorry, missed that...

Advertisement