Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Well said

Even their Live in Mexico 1993 recording had several problems....and I think James pointed a few of them out at the time, as did Cunning Stunts

Maybe it's part of the Metallica ethos to be a little "shakey" and "real" now and again

They've always had many 'mistakes' over the years. Forgotten lyrics,bum notes etc. Wembley 2007 James made a balls of Whiplash,started to sing the 2nd verse first! He started pissing himself laughing and stumbled back into the song. And that's one of their oldest tracks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Happened to notice something similar in a Slayer video from the Big 4 concert. Araya kept looking down, especially in the second verse of this song. In some shots it looked like he had a screen by his feet, was thinking it could be giving him the lyrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hetfield forgot the words to "Whiskey In The Jar"(I think?) last time they played the RDS. I remember him singing something like "..............and I forget the f**king words", in place of the proper lyrics. This was also the show where he went flat on his snot in the middle of "Leper Messiah".:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeJKn7pPr0

Here he is forgetting the words to Whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

Nevar forget the napster debacle, huge thumbs down to this 'band'

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

housemap wrote: »

Yes God forbid people would want to be paid for doing their job:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mooman wrote: »
    Yes God forbid people would want to be paid for doing their job:rolleyes:

Replies like this really gives away the age group of metallica fans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Not really, i'm only 21 and I believe in supporting the bands that I like. I would have more respect for the music that I buy, than the music that I download anyway. Plus, I prefer to have just a few CD's that I listen to regulary, than have a hard drive full of songs that I would never really listen to, but got just because they were "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Not really, i'm only 21 and I believe in supporting the bands that I like. I would have more respect for the music that I buy, than the music that I download anyway. Plus, I prefer to have just a few CD's that I listen to regulary, than have a hard drive full of songs that I would never really listen to, but got just because they were "free".

Completely agree. If it's a band you really like then I feel you should pay for the music you're enjoying. Don't have a problem with downloading to try out a band though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I'm only 22, as are most of my friends who like Metallica :pac: I've no problem with the idea of Napster being to try out the music first, but I'd guess that about 1% of its users used it like that, the rest were just freeloaders. If I'm on the fence about buying an album I'll listen to a few songs on YouTube first which is basically the same thing.

I must be the only person who bought Death Magnetic twice!

I didn't know that it was being released on itunes a few days early so i already had the hard copy ordered online. After i downloaded it, i went to cancel the order but it was already dispatched!

Didn't mind though as it's nice to have the hard copy's from the albums of bands you're really into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Degag wrote: »
    I must be the only person who bought Death Magnetic twice!

I didn't know that it was being released on itunes a few days early so i already had the hard copy ordered online. After i downloaded it, i went to cancel the order but it was already dispatched!

Didn't mind though as it's nice to have the hard copy's from the albums of bands you're really into.

I bought it twice too. I bought the Cd when it came out a few days earlier than expected as I didn't want to wait for the coffin package to arrive. I obviously had more money than sense back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I suppose your averted comma's mean that Metallica is no longer a band?

I bought it twice too. I bought the Cd when it came out a few days earlier than expected as I didn't want to wait for the coffin package to arrive. I obviously had more money than sense back then.

I had the Coffin box pre-ordered and the digital download too,they got plenty of €€€€'s from me!

I'd consider metallica to be a business, poor quality music being a by-product, I don't think they have any interest in it though and they don't care a whit for their fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Punctuation Nazi alert: It's inverted, not averted and there shouldn't be an apostrophe after your use of the word comma. An apostrophe is generally just used as a contraction of "it is" or "it has" or to denote possession e.g. Kirk's guitar.

Anyway back on-topic, I've paid for Master of Puppets three times. Twice on tape (remember those? :p) and once on CD.

I'd consider metallica to be a business, poor quality music being a by-product, I don't think they have any interest in it though and they don't care a whit for their fans.

Metallica may be a business, but you could say that about any band that is making money, but this in no way means that they don't care about their fans. They are constantly touring, giving every single fan of the band a chance to see them. Plus, the fact that they hold pre-show meet and greets. They also listened to the fans when there was a backlash about St. Anger, and went back to the style they wanted. So, it is a bit unfair of you to say that they don't care about them.

Bullshit of the highest order. Especially when you consider that Metallica have only released 2 albums since what? 1997? If they were in it for the money i'd imagine they'd be releasing new albums every second year - at least - You could make the point that they've come to Ireland (and other countries as a result obviously) about 5 times in the last 7 years, and while all that touring may be considered by a few as a money making exercise, i concider it as reaching out to their fans. Hell, if i was a multi-multi millionaire like, James, Lars, Kirk and Rob, i wouldn't be arsed touring countries for two years at a time UNLESS it was for the fans. So get this half arsed, half researched half opinion out of your head that Metallica are in it purely for the money because it simply isn't true.

Degag wrote: »
    If they were in it for the money i'd imagine they'd be releasing new albums every second year - at least - .

You wouldn't even have to go to the bother of recording in a studio. Michael Jackson died and his record label released six, yes six, official recordings in less then a year after he had died. Metallica's label, Vertigo, could simply release a load of demo's and charge fans for the Black album sessions on double disc CD or stop using Live Metallica and then record a handful of concerts and release them as official releases.....

Live Metallica is probably a way of also keeping the label happy so they don't start pressuring Metallica to release albums

Live Metallica is probably a way of also keeping the label happy so they don't start pressuring Metallica to release albums

They're out of contract now,they have no label. They've been tossing about the idea of doing their next release themselves but nothings been decided as the next release is some way off.

Looks like there might be the possiblity of more Big Four shows in the coming years, probably with UK shows. But, this means that the big theatrical shows the band had planned for next year might be pushed back in favour of the Big Four tour.

If we are lucky enough to get the Big Four here next year, you can bet that it'll probably be held in Marlay Park :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

9/15/10 Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, AUS
    That Was Just Your Life
    The End of the Line
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Fuel
    Kirk Solo #1
    Fade to Black
    Broken, Beat & Scarred
    No Remorse
    Sad But True
    Bass Solo
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    All Nightmare Long
    One
    Master Of Puppets
    Blackened
    Kirk Solo #2
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    Encore Jam
    Am I Evil?
    Whiplash
    Seek and Destroy
    Total Running Time: 2:04:21

100916_02.jpg

9/16/10 Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, AUS
    That Was Just Your Life
    Cyanide
    Creeping Death
    Holier Than Thou
    One
    The Four Horsemen
    Wherever I May Roam
    Sad But True
    Bass Solo
    The Unforgiven
    And Justice for All
    Kirk Solo #1
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master Of Puppets
    Battery
    Kirk Solo #2
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    Encore Jam
    Helpless
    Motorbreath
    Seek and Destroy
    Total Running Time: 2:03:02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's that encore jam?

And I see they're still doing guitar and bass solos. Gives people a chance to go to the bar I suppose

What's that encore jam?

And I see they're still doing guitar and bass solos. Gives people a chance to go to the bar I suppose

I think that's still Frayed Ends of Sanity, they just don't want to get people excited by thinking they played the song for the first time in their history so they didn't include it's name - usually the opening of Frayed Ends...and then a little doodle by Kirk in the middle usually constitutes a Jam

When they official come back on to start the encores

Looks like there might be the possiblity of more Big Four shows in the coming years, probably with UK shows. But, this means that the big theatrical shows the band had planned for next year might be pushed back in favour of the Big Four tour.

If we are lucky enough to get the Big Four here next year, you can bet that it'll probably be held in Marlay Park :rolleyes:.

Marlay Park should be turned into a ****ing dump cos that's all it's good for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Marlay Park should be turned into a ****ing dump cos that's all it's good for.

The last two gigs by Metallica especially the first one at Marley was pretty good. Took an age getting into the place though, I mist all of Tenacious D.

The last two gigs by Metallica especially the first one at Marley was pretty good. Took an age getting into the place though, I mist all of Tenacious D.

Went in 2008, didn't go the following year. For getting in and out of, it's an awful place. Oh, and TD were awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Went in 2008, didn't go the following year. For getting in and out of, it's an awful place. Oh, and TD were awful.

they sounded pretty good from were I was listening to them from behind a pile of gorse bushes perhaps thats why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Chuck Norris can hear the basslines on . .And Justice for All :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I''ve just read 3 of your posts as i was reading through this thread, you haven't added anything to the discussion at all.

• Advertisement

Lars speaking in Australia on Jason Newsted
    Regarding the departure of METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted in 2001 and the addition of Jason's replacement, Robert Trujillo, Ulrich said, "When I think back on the Jason years, I look at an incredibly dedicated musician and an incredibly dedicated person to the cause; he was very, very engaged. He probably was never given an outlet to... I don't think we took advantage of... the band did not take advantage of everything that he had to give. That's how it played out, and we weren't in a place at that time where we were better dealing with it. The ironic thing is that his departure kind of brought the band closer, because we realized that he was leaving because we weren't capable of really dealing with each other. Rob is... It just fits. His personality really just gels with the personalities of the rest of us and it just really somehow works in a very organic, unforced way now; we don't force things."

Advertisement