Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

He didn't raise a hand coming off there. Can't read into it too much but I'm concerned for the guy, I hope it's just a bit of a stun.

One small consolation is that he won't miss the final.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fair fcuks to him..... brave move

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted for ROG. He has worked hard to earn his stripes. Really hope it works out for him. He obviously likes France, and I think the family are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Anyone know what French channel the final is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone know what French channel the final is on?

Canal+

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It'll be on sky sports too right? My French is sketchy enough.

Canal+
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Iturria injured in the warmup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

gooch2k9 wrote:
    Iturria injured in the warmup.

Significant advantage to Toulouse who will go after the Clermont line out.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    It'll be on sky sports too right? My French is sketchy enough.

Given the number of foreign players on the pitch, a lot of what the ref says will probably be in English!

Buer wrote: »
    Significant advantage to Toulouse who will go after the Clermont line out.

They'd be better advised going after the ball! Vaahaaahaaaaminaaa can win all of the lineouts for CA.

Streaming live on TV5 Monde.

http://live.tv5monde.com/europe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Macron shaking all 80000 fans hands before kick off by looks of it

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Macron shaking all 80000 fans hands before kick off by looks of it

With two or three shakes per grip!

Is it a Fijian thing to kneel like that?

Massive overlap for Clermont and they give it to Slimani. Get three points but should be going for seven.

Serious hit on Vahaamahina there!

Smart yellow to take from Kolbe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Slimani has been boring in on every single scrum.

Iturria badly missed. Several key Clermont throws have either been stolen or heavily disrupted.

No try given there but the steal on the 5m line leads to a 5m attacking scrum. Concede here and I don't see Clermont turning it around.

• Advertisement

And Huget gets around. Should be a seven pointer.....and it is. Two score game with 25 to go.

Great hands from Toulouse.

Clermont look completely devoid of ideas, they're a shambles

Toulouse win it. Kolbe gets a crucial turnover towards the end, Clermont get another chance with a scrum awarded with a second to go and go nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bit of a poor final in the end.

Despite the close score line, that was an extremely poor final. Two sides that love to run it in perfect conditions.... Clermont never got close to scoring a try in 80 minutes. Outside of their scrum, they had nothing tonight.

Toulouse for their part weren't anything special. They were smart and turned the screw at key moments, taking their chances. It's not hard to see why the T14 is the least successful league when it comes to Europe right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Didn't see all the game but the Tolouse defence was very good. Fair play to the ex Connacht lad Pikhi (?) who played for Tolouse.

Mad season with the final in mid June.

I'd still like to see a 2 division (maybe more) European league. Don't think the top14 can sustain that amount of teams.

Disappointing final. As, in fairness, is often the case. Hadn't realised that Garces was retiring after the RWC - he did reasonably well, although he blew for a scrum when Toulouse had a pretty good advantage - Ugo Mola went berserk!

I agreed with Barnes that the Clermont halves were poor, Cammy Lopez in particular had a pretty dire game. It's a shame that Parra was crocked and that Iturria missed out. A sad way for Ben Kayser to end his illustrious career. Once again I felt very sorry for Clermont's wonderful supporters.

In passing, I'll miss Dimitri Szarzewski too. Sad to see two great French hookers hanging up their boots in the same month. Good to see that his son may well carry on the family tradition! https://twitter.com/racing92/status/1134525970835279879

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Just a note on Clermont who I was really itching for to win. They really accelerate with all their players onto the ball and through the gainline. Toulouse didn't have the same talent in this regard and although they found weaknesses in the Clermont defence weren't as exciting taking the ball to the gainline like Clermont did. I would imagine although I don't know the stats that Clermont had lots more linebreaks in the game and it is exciting to watch.

This is something the Irish team should have been monitoring very closely with their problems about taking the ball static and shoveling on sh1t through the backline whilst standing and not accelerating onto the ball. Leinster had this problem also in the Champions Cup final - guys like Ringrose standing still while passing it on. It wasn't Saracens push up and in defence that caused this - there is an endemic problem creeping in to the Irish game in this respect.

Clermont are the most exciting team to watch in France despite losing this final to Toulouse and they have the blueprint of rugby I would like to see both Leinster and Ireland mirror in their upcoming season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Heymans wrote: »
    I would imagine although I don't know the stats that Clermont had lots more linebreaks in the game and it is exciting to watch.

https://www.espn.com/rugby/matchstats?gameId=293235&league=270559

toulouse 7 - 6 clermont

clermont beat 2 more defenders though 25 - 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Fantastic performance from the French u20s to get to the final. They just bullied and controlled that South african side incredibly well. 2 finals in a row is pretty impressive.

Advertisement