Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i Good at poker?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Daithio9 wrote: »
    Is that 6max of full ring?.
    Have you got holdem manager yet?.

Yes. I havent got holdem manager yet but i intend on Joining Full Tilt on monday and holdem manager has a promotion where you get it free after getting so many Fult Tilt points, in the meantime im just adding up and getting my bb which took me nearly 30 mins this morning.
    Now to get rakeback and il be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

JonJo, you were playng 1 table last week, and now you are playing 6? You think you've cracked multi-tabling in a few days?...Seriously man, this is going to end in tears.

I know I've already pointed out several of your mistakes to you, but here's another: keeping a daily running total of how much you are winning. Yes, it is tempting, but it is also unimportant, counter-productive and short-termist. It tells you nothing about how well you are playing.

But that's it. I have given you 5 or 6 very strong pieces of advice now and you have ignored all of them. No point in me continuing with this, with respect

By the way, winrate is not a %age. If your winrate is 1bb/100 it is not expressed as 1%/100. Also, please note that bb's are the less common way to express a winrate...it is usually expressed in BB's, sometimes called ptbb's, each of which is 2bb's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

can only agree with treehouse here

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

Keep us updated here sure :) Or maybe do a blog, I know I'd have a read of it to see how you are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

in the meantime im just adding up and getting my bb which took me nearly 30 mins this morning.
    Now to get rakeback and il be sorted.

How this took you 30 mins i have no idea. also your bb/100 is 2.7 or BB/100 is 1.35
    which is simple to work out - 60/(4438/100*.5)

where 4438 is hands played
    .5 is the limit your playing - i.e 50NL
    60 is ur profit
    and your dividing by 100 - as its bb/100.
    By the way, winrate is not a %age. If your winrate is 1bb/100 it is not expressed as 1%/100. Also, please note that bb's are the less common way to express a winrate...it is usually expressed in BB's, sometimes called ptbb's, each of which is 2bb's.

HM is in terms of bb/100 - majority of people use HM these days as it is far better than PT3 so i assume sooner or later it will become bb/100 - BB/100 came from PT which was first developed with limit games in mind.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    HM is in terms of bb/100 - majority of people use HM these days as it is far better than PT3 so i assume sooner or later it will become bb/100 - BB/100 came from PT which was first developed with limit games in mind.

Whilst I agree that bb's make the most sense for NL and will eventually become the measure, it is nonetheless true that BB's/ptbb's are still the standard measure used on 2+2 and Deuces Cracked/CR etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

i only play less than 10% of my hands.

How am I the only person to pick up on this?! Stop being such a nit and you'll make more money imo. There is literally 0 winners at 200NL plus with this VPIP. Even if this was pfr, it would be pretty remarkable to find someone with this low pfr that was a winner. There certainly are some, but they would be very rare. And they wouldn't be nits.

My advice is to cut back on your tables immediately and start concentrating on playing good poker rather than being a supernit. If you can manage to learn, then you will have a much better winrate and actually be capable of moving up levels. If not, well you can be a 50NL/100NL supernit grinder for your life if you like.

TommyGunne wrote: »
    How am I the only person to pick up on this?! Stop being such a nit and you'll make more money imo.

you've seen my stats :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

Well what's the story Jonjo, busto or what?.

But let me make you this promise: after 10 days of playing 9.5 hours a day you will be a wreck. Your game will be sub-optimal, your sleep pattern will be disrupted, your diet may be effected and you will probably need exercise. After 2 weeks of this, you'll be a zombie. After a month, I shudder to think. After 2 months, you might actually be dead.

Well, we're at milestone 1 in my prediction: 10 days in and by my estimation JonJo is at the "wreck" stage, playing his C-game, eating Hob-Nobs for dinner and he won't have seen daylight in a week.

Next stage: Zombie. The stages after that...let's not go there. JonJo...please come back and prove me wrong!

But I don't mean to be hubristic about this - I have been wrong about this stuff in the past. I once gave similar advice to a newb in the Micro forums on 2+2. He was really sweet about it, but said he thought he could handle it etc. etc. Cut forward about 6 months and he was crushing 5/10. Turns out it was a chap called Fletcher, who is now a well known HS 2+2er. But he always remembered my advice and still says hi to me on the forum from time to time, despite the fact he went from 10NL to 1kNL in the time it took me to go from 25NL to 50NL!! lol, ooops! I never begrudged him it though cause his manner was so pleasant, his ego totally under control and his game totally stellar. Maybe JonJo is the same...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RodSteel

Well said/written treehouse and so true (from my own experience).
    In my 3 years of playing online, I have done it all,as in all the mistakes as quoted by yourself which ended in tilting, losing a hard fought bank roll, rebuild again etc., play too many hours till my brain turned to mush and brought myself to the brink of near insanity from playing marathon sessions.
    I found myself not eating/drinking for hours and just surviving on adrenaline. My physical health suffered and in the end the game just rotted me from the inside out.
    Anyhow to cut to what jonjo is playing for, $86 for 9.5h session, multitabling 6+ tables, it does not seem worth the effort for that profit?
    Myself, I dont use tracker or holdem manager, never did but when you talk about BB/hr and such, I dont really understand.
    The system that works for me, is I never play longer than 3 hours in any one session. I mutitable 4 and if i win 2 full buy ins, the session is over. If i lose 2 buy ins, session is over also and i leave it for another day.
    This is the only way I control tilt nowadays.
    I average 18 hours a week, I never go over 20 hours total and I always have one day totally free of cards.
    The above is a far cry from what I used to do as I have been known to grind out 26 hour sessions in the past!
    I average 10 buy ins profit per week over the past 6 months which is a considerable turnaround to what my losses were during the mental phase.
    My advice to jonjo would be don't make the all too common mistakes as a mental breakdown could be just around the corner...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭BloodyDeath

lads over in the ip site now. just dropped in to check on sum camping sites on this site so i said i have a goo. and this thread bears all the hallmarks of a load of ****e.

firslty he is 1 tabling thinkin of 2 poss 3 at a strecth and next thing he is on 6/7 ffs please. his old ****ty laptop wont hold all the tables and he doesent like the cascade feature but now he his flying along. please.

and hes tabling 6 for 9.5 hours for 60 bucks now that is a brain frezze. i know i know he;ll be 6 tablin at 200nl and profits be soaring and all that jazz but serioulsy. to me it sounds like a load of balls. prob read sum ****e on 2+2 about another wannabie who is going to make a million in a year and decided to talk ****e here first about how good he got in a week and how good he be in a year.

loadaballs.

and his screen name taht we havent got yet is what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

No you are terrible. you dont register on the good scale. in relative terms of other bad players you are mediocre.

:rolleyes: <
    to emphasize how bad you actually are

Quick update guys, i got holdem manager yesterday and a rakeback deal, i now play 6 tables at 50nl, i was up 672Eur before i got my holdem manager yesterday, but the rakeback i could of got was i worked out around900 Eur:eek:.
    Anyway no more adding up my hands and profit, i now have holdem manager to take care of that for me.
    I have played 1684 hands profit of 111.87 rake of 131 rakeback of 52 Eur.

Nice to see you again JJ. How many hands a day you playing?

Nice to see you again JJ. How many hands a day you playing?

Trying to play 3000 per day on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

why will you not tell us your username?

5Aces wrote: »

why do you want it?
    majority of players don't reveal their names and why should he?

Because i value my privacy above anything. I can put up a graph of my account i guess without giving my username.

people are more likely to help you out with advice which is the quickest way to improve if they know your for real otherwise i wish you the best with your heater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

What's yours?

Ok, exactly a month after the 100k hands pm quest started!

Update please JJ.

I'm just the voice of reason who didnt start a thread about my epic poker journey. There is no reason for me to give out my username, I haven't played much online in the last year anyway. If he gives his username someone could sweat his session and pick out one or two leaks and it could make a big difference to his winrate. Good luck, you will be 16 tabling NL5000 in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I can't even play 100k hands a month 6-tabling full time. 6-tabling for between 3 and 5 hours a day, every day, I usually play about 55,000 hands a month, and I am an experienced player used to the grind.

Just a few quick questions Treehouse. Are the vast majority of grinders playing cash games? I personally never took to the cash games and spend the most of my time playing SnG's with a few MTT's. Do you think it's possible for a player such as myself to grind playing that way.

I have played about 2,000 games casually over a couple of years. I do not know what that equates to in the hand amount terms you are talking. I am thinking of taking up the grind as I have found that my ROI of about 20% average over a few different accounts should be enough to get me staked. My ROI should improve if I start to take it seriously also. Are you staked yourself and would you recommend it?

Also, do Pokerstars have a total block on Rakeback? I learned recently that I have really missed out in this aspect while playing on iPoker for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pocket Change

I'm just kicking off my online poker career too. Pretty daunting stuff. Whatever happened to a few heads around a table with a green baise and a few beers? Anyway, this tournament seems to be a good starting point to me. http://www.youandyourmoney.ie/paddypower/index.asp. Offers a bit of guidance for us beginners.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Just a few quick questions Treehouse. Are the vast majority of grinders playing cash games? I personally never took to the cash games and spend the most of my time playing SnG's with a few MTT's. Do you think it's possible for a player such as myself to grind playing that way.

I have played about 2,000 games casually over a couple of years. I do not know what that equates to in the hand amount terms you are talking. I am thinking of taking up the grind as I have found that my ROI of about 20% average over a few different accounts should be enough to get me staked. My ROI should improve if I start to take it seriously also. Are you staked yourself and would you recommend it?

Also, do Pokerstars have a total block on Rakeback? I learned recently that I have really missed out in this aspect while playing on iPoker for the last few years.

On your 3 questions:

1. Yes, I think most semi-pros and pros who are in it for the money play cash, but there are still plenty who play SnG's and tourney's. Certainly you don't have to play cash games, but that's where most grinders go because the money can be better and it's easier to jump in and out of cash games than sit playing a touney all day, or getting your head wrecked by shove-bots at SnG's. I should also say that you will need to improve your post flop game a lot if you're moving from tourneys to cash. Cash games are all about post flop poker - the shoving you see non-stop in tourneys will not get the job done at all. The standard of play in cash games now is very strong from 50NL up.

2. Not staked, and don't know anything about it so would rather not comment.

3. There's no RB at PS, but they have a rewards scheme based on frequent player points. I don't play on PS so don't know much about it, but you'll find a tonne of info online.

As for iP, you know you can have accounts at more than one iP skin? If you aren't happy with your rewards at your current skin but want to stay at iP, just open a new a/c at a new skin. Also, there's no longer legitimate RB at iP. So you either get an under-the-counter deal (meh, not really recommended) or you get your rewards by legitimate bonuses and other rewards. These usually come to an equivalent of c.30% RB if you pick the right skin. I'm afraid I can't provide a recommendation as I haven't looked into it in quite a while (because I am happy with my current deal). You might check the 2+2 Affiliates and Rakeback forum, or the Irish Poker Boards forum where many of the posters who used to post here now reside. Some good lads there who probably won't rip you off.

Good luck.

are you still good at poker jonjo?

for a lad who was wondering what to do with himself while on the dole your not the best for answering any of the 99 threads you have started. How goes the poker playing? genuinely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Jonjo has left Ireland and is now living in Vegas. after running like God and playing 16 tables for 18hrs a day he has become disilllusioned with the poor standard of players online at even the highest buyin cash games he can't seem to find anyone near his poker playing abilties. He is now testing his talents against the best America has to offer. last i heard he had taken Hansen for a cool 3mill.

so yes Jonjo you are good at poker and well done sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭joekeville

Seen him in bobbys room last nite. Looked like he was crushing the table:eek:

Advertisement