Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity mature student interviews

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

Hey, i just got mine this morning out of the blue, really thought I failed the aptitude test. the interview is for the 19th so there's still plenty of time to get called, good luck!

Anyone have advice on what they'll ask or how to impress, out of 20 people they said only 5 will get offered a place....don't like those odds..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

Hey everyone!

OK, I finally got my letter inviting me for an interview for Psychology.. phew! If anyone has any advice, pls let me know.. and good luck to everyone waiting on a letter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aonie

voxbot wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

OK, I finally got my letter inviting me for an interview for Psychology.. phew! If anyone has any advice, pls let me know.. and good luck to everyone waiting on a letter!
    Good luck to u!
    And let us know how it went :)

I had my interview in Trinity a week or two ago, I think it went well.. but it's very difficult to tell. They said they'd be letting everyone know early May, so that could mean this week! VERY nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eagerly awaiting

Has everyone heard back from Trinity about interviews? I got a rejection letter for one of my courses but that was about a month ago, I still haven't heard anything from the other one. Just wondering if anyone else is still waiting??

• Advertisement

Just phoned the TCD Admissions Office there to see when we'll find out and they said they sent out the letters this morning! I know a few people are waiting on this letter, so good luck to everyone! They should arrive in a day or so! EEEEEK

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Best of Luck everyone!! :)

Just got my letter from Trinity, didn't get in! Boo! Oh well, I was half expecting it. I was very nervous in the exam and the interview was only ok. Does anyone recommend phoning TCD to try and get on some kind of list if place comes up? I did far better in the UCD exam (99%), so hopefully my personal statement will be good enough! Does anyone know when UCD offer places? Really hope I get in somewhere!

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, I'm a little disappointed but fingers crossed I get UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Just got my letter from Trinity, didn't get in! Boo! Oh well, I was half expecting it. I was very nervous in the exam and the interview was only ok. Does anyone recommend phoning TCD to try and get on some kind of list if place comes up? I did far better in the UCD exam (99%), so hopefully my personal statement will be good enough! Does anyone know when UCD offer places? Really hope I get in somewhere!

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, I'm a little disappointed but fingers crossed I get UCD!

I'm sorry Voxbot, that sucks :( Have you tried ringing the faculty in UCD, sometimes they'll let you know "unofficially" how you did? Other than that they send out letters at the end of May usually.

Thanks Jessiebelle! I only saw this post now!

Ok, so my letter from UCD arrived and I can't quite decipher it to be honest! The problem is it arrived at home so I can't actually look at it, my sister was reading it out to me! It says I'm "Reserved Candidate No.3". Not really sure if that means I'm reserved to get an offer from CAO or that I'm on a reserves list.. very confusing. As far as I can gather you're either a reserved candidate or awaiting a decision.. but I'm not sure.

Has anyone received a similar letter from UCD or does anyone know anything about this?! Argh! I tried calling there, but the office is closed so I sent them an email.. oh the stress!

On a side-note, how would I try to get on the reserves list for TCD Psychology?

Thanks for all the help everyone, this really is the most unbelievably complicated and stressful process! x

• Advertisement

It sounds like you are on the reserves list which is nothing to be sneezed at because people decline offers all the time, especially mature students!! My friend got into the course and she was a reserve so don't give up hope.

When I got an offer from UCD they worded it in a weird way, that I can't remember what now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

let us know if they email you back voxbot.

if you are one of the reserves this is still good news, as remember, just like you, lots of people will have applied for their course in 2 or 3 different unis, and those offers come out at different times, so they may accept one, only to decline it shortly after if they get offered a more preferrable one for them. also it's great to be "short-listed" it means that you did well in the interview/application process, so congratulations :)

also rememer mature applicants may just decline altogether if something happens in personal life, or finance falls through etc.

Thanks guys. I just got an email back from them saying I wasn't offered a place but that if three people don't accept their place, I'll get an offer. To be honest I'm really disappointed. I got 99% in the MSAP, and I put a months of effort into my personal statement.. honestly, I'm kind of shocked. What are they looking for?

There's nothing I can do but wait until August for the second round of offers. Does anyone know if I can add other courses onto my CAO form now? Not going to college in September simply isn't an option for me, I've wasted so much time already. I have Dublin Business School as my third choice, but I'd prefer to go to a "proper uni".

Thanks for all the help again!

Sorry.. another question..

My CAO application is as a mature student. But if I wish to apply for courses that I already have the leaving cert points for, can I apply for them? Like, as a regular CAO applicant? I'm going to email CAO now and check.. but if anyone has any idea let me know!

Sorry to hear that Voxbot, but as we said, don't give up hope just yet. You may still be offered a place in UCD or Trinity.

If you feel you really don't want to go to DBS, then would you consider waiting a year to re-apply? Kind of a trade-off, you want to start this year, but i know as a mature student you also want it to be "just right" :)

When I applied to my first choice and then didn't even get an interview, I had to haul ass and get a CAO mature student application in in 3 days, to make sure i could get in that year. Yes I still wanted my first choice, but i reasoned that i might be waiting a year, only to still not get it next year. As it happens things have worked out much better for me. But it's just worth considering whats more important for you? Starting asap, or starting when everything's right. Considering those questions helped me anyway!

as for the CAO stuff, sorry i haven't a clue, i'm sure someone will be able to help

I agree with Feu. Definitely don't rush into accepting your third choice if your heart is set on something else.

I'm another example of one of the maturies who didn't get in first time round. It is possible! And I know its devastating when you don't get the place but make sure you take the time to think it all through properly and rationally. I will help in any way I can.

If you do decide that you want to change course types and apply using your points only, I think you can add courses that are not restricted courses to your list before the closure of the change of mind. But do get a definite answer from the CAO. I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Larianne wrote: »
    I agree with Feu. Definitely don't rush into accepting your third choice if your heart is set on something else.

I'm another example of one of the maturies who didn't get in first time round. It is possible! And I know its devastating when you don't get the place but make sure you take the time to think it all through properly and rationally. I will help in any way I can.

If you do decide that you want to change course types and apply using your points only, I think you can add courses that are not restricted courses to your list before the closure of the change of mind. But do get a definite answer from the CAO. I'm not 100% on that.

i know how frustrating it is. i don't think i am getting my first choice. the letter they sent me back in march said they'd be calling for interviews in early may. well that has passed and i have heard nothing so....

i had an interview for my second choice last week, they said i wouldn't hear anything until the cao in july which is a little frustrating cos i wanna know how i did.

did an interview for my 3rd choice last week too (altho had already realised it was in the wrong position on my cao and was planning on moving it) and got a letter from them yesterday saying pfo basically.

then over a month ago i got a letter from choice 4 straight offering me a place saying i qualified on lc points!

i got the same type letter from one of my other choices.

then i have an interview for another one next week and haven't heard from the rest.

am kinda confused what to do now!!! :o

here is hoping you get called up from the reserve list for ucd op

Feu wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Voxbot, but as we said, don't give up hope just yet. You may still be offered a place in UCD or Trinity.

If you feel you really don't want to go to DBS, then would you consider waiting a year to re-apply? Kind of a trade-off, you want to start this year, but i know as a mature student you also want it to be "just right" :)

When I applied to my first choice and then didn't even get an interview, I had to haul ass and get a CAO mature student application in in 3 days, to make sure i could get in that year. Yes I still wanted my first choice, but i reasoned that i might be waiting a year, only to still not get it next year. As it happens things have worked out much better for me. But it's just worth considering whats more important for you? Starting asap, or starting when everything's right. Considering those questions helped me anyway!

as for the CAO stuff, sorry i haven't a clue, i'm sure someone will be able to help

Thanks so much for your advice, it's been a mental few days trying to figure out what to do. To be honest I've put so much thought and energy into the actual application process, I haven't really taken the time to think if this course is even the ideal one for me! I've been ignoring this niggling feeling that maybe I'm just trying to get this course so I can be sensible and get a decent job, but maybe I should be doing a more creative course that would suit me better. I was dissappointed that I didn't get Trinity and that I'm on the reserves list for UCD, but not as much as I should be, I think.

So now I'm considering English with another Arts subject in UCD, or maybe Multimedia in DCU! I'm even thinking of putting them before the Psychology courses in Trinity and UCD!

Anyway the official word from CAO on mature students adding courses is, you can add non-restricted courses (as Larianne stated), as long as you have the CAO points .. and before July 1st. This is actually the entire email I receieved from them.

"YOU CAN ADD MORE COURSES BASED ON YOUR POINTS." ..er, thanks.

I'll keep ye updated on what I put down on my CAO and if anyone knows anything about either courses, please let me know! And.. tahnks again, for the millionth time. This forum has helped me so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

huh, reason i didn't think you could add more at this stage is that you wouldn't get interviews etc, but what i am reading from your post is that it doesn't go in as mature at this point (them mentioning cao points) it goes in with the lc/fetac and offered in august when round 1 comes out? am i getting this properly?

, I haven't really taken the time to think if this course is even the ideal one for me! I've been ignoring this niggling feeling that maybe I'm just trying to get this course so I can be sensible and get a decent job, but maybe I should be doing a more creative course that would suit me better. I was dissappointed that I didn't get Trinity and that I'm on the reserves list for UCD, but not as much as I should be, I think.

So now I'm considering English with another Arts subject in UCD, or maybe Multimedia in DCU! I'm even thinking of putting them before the Psychology courses in Trinity and UCD!

sounds like you're a bit torn :) The advise i give all matures, altho i've seen some people on here disagree with it, is that you have to go for something you're really passionate about. obviously you have to factor in job prospects, but it's the passion for the thing that will keep you going through 4 years rather than job prospects :D

sounds like you're taking all your options into account, good luck with it, and do keep us updated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dreamscape

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has heard from TCD re interviews for the Social Work degree, had my interview early April and not heard anything as yet. I know admissions contacted my reference and they were sent back about a month ago but still nothing.

Thanks
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ankavanagh

offers have gone out since 1st June, maybe you should phone them asap. as you need to let them know this week if you are taking up the place. i did not get a letter and phoned general admissions on Friday, i found out then i got a place. I didnt get the letter thats why i phoned them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jo_Moss

Hey everyone!

Hi Voxbot,

I'm getting ready my applications for Psychology in TCD and UCD. I was wondering if you could give me any advice how to complete them. I'm bit worried about all previous experience, relevant work etc. bits.
    Do you really have to be previously involved in psychology? or the fact you are interested and enthusiastic about it is enough? I did only two years of Psychology in college before and that's really it. Had to stop study for a year and never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Hey everyone!

Hey Voxbot:)

I know your post was a year ago but hopefully you will see this:) I have an interview for Psychology in TCD soon and was hoping you might have a few tips..?

Advertisement