Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Film Noir

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If you're put off by when a film was made then you're missing out on some brilliant movies. It's your loss though.

I'd put it as more a gangster flick than a noir myself, but it's probably got bits of both really. And since it's a Coen Brothers film, I expect nothing less than clever-clever for my buck! ;)
    Well there are plenty of old films that probably are excellent, but the pacing is usually too slow for plenty of people these days. Humour in them is often a bit too gentle for a lot of people too.

Oh someone mentioned Miller's Crossing - that's a brilliant film. Blood Simple is another good one by the Coen brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Cannot believe I forgot to mention brick, its exactly like what the op is looking for and while I can see why some do not like it, I think its a really great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

MiloYossarian and Trevor Coulaghan, drop the bickering. First and ONLY warning.

krudler wrote: »
    post of the year so far
    Post a says something funny, gets 0 thanks.
    Post b says post a is funny, gets 3 thanks.

[Nice clear demonstration of the bias against posters with low postcount, and vice-versa.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

That... thats what I was supposed to do, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The one I would say to definitely have a look at is Double Indemnity.

And then some other noir films that I love personally are:

The Maltese Falcon
    Touch of Evil
    Miller's Crossing
    Sunset Blvd.

All well worth a watch if you are interested in the genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

What did you all think of The Big Sleep? I'm no dullard, and I love quite a lot of Film Noir, but I'll admit that I turned it off after an hour because I had not an iota as to what was going on! Quite a while ago now; maybe it's time for another shot at it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Another one that is highly underrated that I enjoyed.
    The Heist

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252503/plotsummary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Wacker wrote: »
    What did you all think of The Big Sleep? I'm no dullard, and I love quite a lot of Film Noir, but I'll admit that I turned it off after an hour because I had not an iota as to what was going on! Quite a while ago now; maybe it's time for another shot at it...

You might wanna read the book first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 m.norton

pwd wrote: »
    Well there are plenty of old films that probably are excellent, but the pacing is usually too slow for plenty of people these days. Humour in them is often a bit too gentle for a lot of people too.

Oh someone mentioned Miller's Crossing - that's a brilliant film. Blood Simple is another good one by the Coen brothers

The reason that the pacing was slower was that it typically lended to the overall feel of the film and some of these "older films" ared actually funnier than 99% of the dirge that passes for comedy these days i.e The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Corronets, St. Trinians etc. (and not the diabolical attempts at remakes.)

I do agree with Millers Crossing though, awesome

m.norton wrote: »
    The reason that the pacing was slower was that it typically lended to the overall feel of the film and some of these "older films" ared actually funnier than 99% of the dirge that passes for comedy these days i.e The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Corronets, St. Trinians etc. (and not the diabolical attempts at remakes.)

I do agree with Millers Crossing though, awesome
    Just a matter of taste.
    I never said older films were inferior, just that they weren't to my taste.
    Plenty of people don't like older films. I mentioned it because I was recommending a very old film, so I was making the point that, even if you don't usually like old films, you might still like this one. So it was relevant to the thread.
    Arguing about the quality of older films in general isn't relevant to the thread, and it's not relevant to what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fritz Langs Ministry of Fear is on Channel 4 4:00am to 5:25am in the small hours Thursday morning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037075/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

I don't know if I'm thread-necroing my own thread by doing this, but I started a thread a while ago about film noir and people had some cool suggestions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055774035

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Kiss Me Deadly
    Laura
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    Killers
    Double Indemnity

Neo-noir:

Chinatown
    Frantic
    Body Heat
    Prizzi's Honor
    LA Confidential
    The Last Seduction
    Miller's Crossing
    The Big Lebowski

geekychick wrote: »
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Laura
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    Killers
    Double Indemnity

Neo-noir:

Chinatown
    Frantic
    Body Heat
    Prizzi's Honor
    LA Confidential
    The Last Seduction
    Miller's Crossing
    The Big Lebowski

Good list. Some of my favourite noirs in there.

Some good noir I don't think I'd seen the last time I posted on another thread about it:

Body And Soul (1947)
    The Set-Up (1949)
    Both of the above are actually examples of boxing noir, kind of a tiny mini-genre. They're incredible films though, great noirs and The Set-Up in particular is to me one of the greatest boxing movies of all time.

Someone on here recommended Where The Sidewalk Ends[/URL (1950) which is just blindingly brilliant. Geekychick - you listed Laura on here, you might like Where The Sidewalk Ends, it's also directed by Otto Preminger and has the same leads in Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney.

I can't remember if I ever recommended it anywhere before or not, but probably my current favourite noir is
    The Big Combo (1955). It and Where The Sidewalk Ends are both of the ultra hard-boiled style of noir. The Big Combo in particular has some of the most arresting visuals in all of noir, it's full of great use of silhouette, and it really captures that nightmare city dreamscape that makes noir so memorable.

BigCombo2.jpg
    Above is a still from The Big Combo, they were so short on funds that the cinematographer draped sheets of black velvet around the edges of sets to make it look like the night sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Thanks for recommendations!

Will keep them in mind.

I love film noir, that was just off the top of my head, but just the words "film noir" are enough to remind me that Hollywood once upon a time was quite a different place than it is nowadays... (big noirish sigh...) :cool:

Advertisement