Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Film Noir

Options
  • 13-04-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have been tryin to write a screenplay with a Film Noir feel and would like some suggestions for films to watch that may help me get the vibe i'm looking for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Well classics such as Sunset Blvd and Double Indemnity would be the obvious place to start but considering your writing a screenplay, I presume you've seen them.

If you're looking for something more leftfield and modern I would suggest Suzhou River from 2000

The Big Lebowski.

There is only one scene in which The Dude doesn't appear, we basically follow him through the whole film from start to finish in his head and outside as the story unfolds. True film noir stlye, or so I've led myself to believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Chinatown, The Long Goodbye and for something a bit more quirky, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Body Heat with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

I like The Good Thief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and yes I'm being serious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 1941 version of the Maltese Falcon is still a brilliant example of the genre - full of femme fatales, McGuffins and hard-boiled detectives.

A more contemporary favourite would be Brick, but it is very much a love/hate film with its blend of clever/pretentious (delete as appropriate) dialogue and stylised take on the genre. Gets a lot of flak on occasion, but I for one thoroughly enjoyed its twist on an old fashioned detective noir.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Altmans The long Goodbye. Elliot gould used to be cool before he became Ross' dad on friends.......

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Another coen classic is the man who wasn't there if not that then I highly recommend Memento and The Third Man as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

[QUOTE=Karl Hungus Kiss Kiss Bang Bang[/url].[/QUOTE]

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang isn't film noir. It's not even close. Why didn't you just say 'Scary Movie is an excellent example of modernist film noir.'?-Forget it Milo. It's boards.ie town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang isn't film noir. It's not even close. Why didn't you just say 'Scary Movie is an excellent example of modernist film noir.'?-Forget it Milo. It's boards.ie town.
    ?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to buying some of these films. I've seen the Maltese falcon, Brick, and a few other Noir films that I've really liked so I think this genre is for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

pijobf4e8h-t.jpg

OP, a few titles for ya to check out..
    Shadow of a Doubt
    The Lost Weekend
    Spellbound
    The Big Sleep
    Rope
    Touch of Evil
    The Killing
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Red Rock West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Double Indemnity is my favourite. In terms of Neo-Noir, nothing beats LA Confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Brick

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/

Payback

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120784/

I enjoyed all of the above and dont think they were mentioned, Neo Noir but meh could be what your after ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

"The missing man" is the best recent one I have seen. It has some really cool shots and scenes in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1105512/

Trevor Coulaghan

How dare you manipulate Picard in to saying that to me, but I take your point, I was a bit smart with Karl Hangus (to whom I now offer my apologies). It is twice as bad because I hate when people do that to me. I've read a few of your posts and noticed that your grammar is fairly poor. Maybe as you're squatting you could lay a grammar book on the floor and read it when you dip. That way you could improve yourself in two ways at once.

As to the person that originally started this thread, I found that some books I read really helped me define and work within the structure of noir, so it would benefit you to read more as well. That way you can apply what you learn to the films you watch. Some of the books give you so many details of what the genre needs to have to be considered that genre that it nearly takes the work out of writing it. (Film: a critical introduction by Tom Wallis was a big help to me but I'm sure you could find better ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Trevor Coulaghan

How dare you manipulate Picard in to saying that to me, but I take your point, I was a bit smart with Karl Hangus (to whom I now offer my apologies). It is twice as bad because I hate when people do that to me. I've read a few of your posts and noticed that your grammar is fairly poor. Maybe as you're squatting you could lay a grammar book on the floor and read it when you dip. That way you could improve yourself in two ways at once.

post of the year so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Won't mention the ones already said but heres a few...
    La Confidential
    Lucky Number Slevin. (some may disagree):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Trevor Coulaghan..

I stopped reading. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I stopped reading. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's why your grammar is so bad. Reading improves grammar. What you should have said in your reply was 'I have stopped reading.' What you said means that reading was going somewhere and you halted its progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Enjoyed this...you might

Zero Effect

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120906/

+1 for Brick, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, La Confidential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Milo, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a huge pastiche of the film noir genre, the narrative structure is very noir indeed. It's clever, witty, and steeped in film noir conventions. I think it's a perfectly suitable recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

brick is crap

The Asphalt Jungle is good. Don't be put off by its age. I usually don't bother with films made before the 70s, but I liked this one a lot.

Chinatown was already mentioned - it's superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Miller's Crossing, although it is a bit clever-clever
    LA Confidential
    Pretty much all Billy Wilder's work in the genre.
    Force Of Evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

pwd wrote: »
    The Asphalt Jungle is good. Don't be put off by its age. I usually don't bother with films made before the 70s, but I liked this one a lot.

If you're put off by when a film was made then you're missing out on some brilliant movies. It's your loss though.
    Miller's Crossing, although it is a bit clever-clever

I'd put it as more a gangster flick than a noir myself, but it's probably got bits of both really. And since it's a Coen Brothers film, I expect nothing less than clever-clever for my buck! ;)

Milo, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a huge pastiche of the film noir genre, the narrative structure is very noir indeed. It's clever, witty, and steeped in film noir conventions. I think it's a perfectly suitable recommendation.

It has noirish elements yes, but really has more in common with pulp fiction (books not the movie). It's not strictly a noir. I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Plus there is a good chance I'm wrong.

p.s I hope you saw the post where I said sorry to you for that smart reply earlier. I feel like a bit of a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pwd wrote: »
    brick is crap

QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

AnonoBoy wrote: »

I'd put it as more a gangster flick than a noir myself, but it's probably got bits of both realy. And since it's a Coen Brothers film, I expect nothing less than clever-clever for my buck! ;)
    I loved it, but I'd have it down as noir as much for the period trappings, being taken from a Hammet novel and having most of the conventions of the genre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I loved it, but I'd have it down as noir as much for the period trappings, being taken from a Hammet novel and having most of the conventions of the genre.

But it's about gangsters??? :confused:

Ah - I'm not as cine-literate as some in here so I'm not going to pretend I know - I just always figured it as a gangster flick first.

Either way it's fuppin' fantastic!

Advertisement