Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topshop

Options
  • 13-04-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hello fellow fashionista's, what are your views on Topshop?..every article I have ever read, you know the ones, when people are stopped in streets and asked what they are wearing?, who is their style icon?, when asked "what are your favourite shops?", Topshop is always the answer- guaranteed!
    When I go in there, I, 8 out of 10 times would not buy anything- what am I missing? and why is it everybodies favourite shop??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love Topshop. I worked there for a while and that's when the obsession started. I dunno what it is really. I just like their stuff, not all of it, but I'd definitely always wanna buy something when I'm in there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah Topshop. I work there, terrible news for my bank account!

I like the clothes because they're not that expensive and they're very fashionable and stylish. They pay much attention to designer fashion and, I think, do a good job at emulating the trends.

At the same time, the do great basics like jeans, knitwear and jersey tops.

It's pretty much a one-stop-shop too! Clothes, shoes, accessories, underwear and now make up! Can't wait to see that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I used to always say 'I love Topshop', but recently when sorting my wardrobe, I realised the only items I have from Topshop are 2 pairs of jeans, a yellow vest top, and a pair of black and pink polka dot peeptoe heels (which I love, and bought 6 years ago). I had to check myself and say, Okay, so I say I love it but do I really? Nothing fits me in there bare the odd pair of jeans.. I'm a size 8-10 on the bottom, but top heavy and awkwardly so (narrow back, big up front!!)..so ALL tops in there are out..trust me, I have tried time and again!

So I think it only suits some people (the lovely Twee and Novella!), and not if you are in anyway awkward...

Plus I'm not mad on their current nude/peach/beige/floral clothes in there, and think it is mental expensive for what you get. Quality wise, I'm not convinced either; better than Penneys, but still not 12 euro for a vest...

*Sorry Topshop lovers :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm not really a fan at all. I've actually stopped even going to browse because I really don't like any of the clothes they have in stock at the moment (or for the past year, at least!). I also find that the clothes don't tend to fit/suit me either (I'm a size 10, and would be only slightly curvy).

The only item of clothing I bought from there was a black dress and it wasn't a 'topshop' dress (I can't remember the designer off the top of my head, I'd have to look at the dress).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Well, I love it. I couldnt go in there and not buy anything. And like Twee. I think they do a good job on getting trends right and I love that they have different labels in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah I like Topshop. Always see things I like in there. Many of my clothes are from there. That's it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

I wouldn't be a massive fan. I think its over priced and im a student so cant really afford to shop there. I shop in penneys and whenever i wear anything from penneys people stop me and ask me did i get my clothes in topshop.. :)

The material might not be as good, but it beats paying a fortune for clothes that will go out of fashion as quick as im writing this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

If I buy something there it has to be AMAZING, because theit sterling-euro exchange rate is just repulsive. I wouldn't buy any basic stuff or cardigans or anything like that..the occassional dress and pair of jeans is it. I think they need to relax the amount of wacky ugly stuff no-one's ever going to wear and focus more on the actual nice skirts and dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thefireinside

If I buy something there it has to be AMAZING, because theit sterling-euro exchange rate is just repulsive. I wouldn't buy any basic stuff or cardigans or anything like that..the occassional dress and pair of jeans is it. I think they need to relax the amount of wacky ugly stuff no-one's ever going to wear and focus more on the actual nice skirts and dresses.

ditto on this and even the cardis are a crazy price there! i really think its over-priced for what you get, the quality really isnt that much better than cheaper places. some of the stuff is ridiculous in there, over the top trendy but i think they're really aiming towards the deep pocketed among the 15-21ish age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The main thing I'd buy in topshop would be the dresses they have upstairs in the one on Stephen's Green, never really topshop brand, but would usually be the smaller designer brands they stock.

In general, the only time I'd buy a lot there would be during the sales.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I find Topshop disappointing. When I lived in the UK, I'd buy a few things from their website. But now I don't know what to make of it. I've been in the new Cork one a few times, and I've never seen anything wearable. I like my clothes to have a more classic feel - pieces I can wear over and over again. I find Topshop is too faddy and follows trends too much. Last time I was in there, it looked like the 80's had exploded in the worst possible way. Everything in there would date extremely quickly.

So I always think of it fondly, but am disappointed with the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I like the idea of TopShop. I like the reality much less. I would have worn a lot of their stuff when I was in my mid - late teens, which is about ten years ago! I don't think topshop is great value for money at all. Even discounting the awful sterling to euro conversion, I don't think either their cuts or their materials justify the prices they charge. It must be nearly two years since I bought something in Topshop!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i do find them to be pretty overpriced, and usually only can afford stuff on sale.

i can vouch for their jeans -i always have problems finding comfy jeans, and even though i havent bought jeans in four years, the last couple pairs i bought were topshop, and i still have them.

i'll often see cute tops and cardi's but they are just way too expensive for what they are. i really like the boutique section upstairs by stephen's green though. and i alwayyys find cute jewellery there too, definitely a favourite for accessories.

but yeah, because i'm broke i'm more likely to stroll around topshop to get an idea of what i want, and then go to penneys/newlook afterwards to buy something similar ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

convert wrote: »
    I also find that the clothes don't tend to fit/suit me either (I'm a size 10, and would be only slightly curvy)
    +1
    I thought it was just me but if I can get their skirts and trousers in size 10 to go up past my knees I look like I'm bet into them and I'm a size 10 in every other shop so I've given up going in there.

IMO
    It's too faddy, it's waaayyy overpriced and the quality of the clothes is not much better than newlook. I can see why people in the UK like it because it's much cheaper for them to shop there.

I like their shoes and jewellery but if I saw shoes in there I'd probably try them on and then buy on line because their £-€ rate is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I see Topshop as the second tier on a woman’s journey to a style of their own.
    First stop is Pennys when all you can afford is pennies. As you get a little older and your tastes develop a bit more Topshop offers everything you could want – reasonable price and reasonable quality and reasonably fashionable – very much what you’d expect from a high street outlet.
    A few years down the line and the fashions have change to something that not quiet to your taste and suddenly Top Shop no longer has the same appeal. You find yourself searching out other sources of stuff that isn’t being mass marketed, items that suit you rather then suit the first flush of fashionistas.
    Topshop has a place but only for a few years in your style lifetime. For that brief brilliant Nova moment in your life it is The Biz! Then we see the tarnish on the brass rails.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

OldGoat wrote: »
    I see Topshop as the second tier on a woman’s journey to a style of their own.
    First stop is Pennys when all you can afford is pennies. As you get a little older and your tastes develop a bit more Topshop offers everything you could want – reasonable price and reasonable quality and reasonably fashionable – very much what you’d expect from a high street outlet.
    A few years down the line and the fashions have change to something that not quiet to your taste and suddenly Top Shop no longer has the same appeal. You find yourself searching out other sources of stuff that isn’t being mass marketed, items that suit you rather then suit the first flush of fashionistas.
    Topshop has a place but only for a few years in your style lifetime. For that brief brilliant Nova moment in your life it is The Biz! Then we see the tarnish on the brass rails.

What he said!

F&A Post of the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

I LOVE Topshop! It's my favorite store.

Yes they're expensive but their clothes are worth it, to me anyways. Even their basic vests for €9, sure you can get the same style in primark for €3 but the Topshop ones hold up so much better. I paid €3/€4 for a White ribbed vest in primark in the new year & after ONE wear/wash it was completely out of shape and awful looking. I went to topshop and got one there for less than €10 and I have worn it at least 5 times and it's still perfect.
    I love how Topshop focus on the catwalks and base their looks on that. There's no way I can afford €€€€ for a designer shirt but I can definitely afford the €50 topshop version.
    I love their shoes too. The only thing I hate about topshop is their jewelery (although pretty and expensive for what it is) is cheaply made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I like their basics, the vest tops, cardigans and leggings. They're good quality and not too expensive. The rest of their stuff is a bit hit and miss, sometimes I go in there and see loads of things I like but most of the time I wander in and wander back out without being too impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I love the shoes and some of the clothes.
    However, I find they cater for boyish figures a lot. I'm not at all fat, but I have curves and their tops look weird as hell on me.
    And even if I was less curvy, I couldn't justify spending that much money on those clothes, because they are so "on trend"
    Its not like spending 60 euro on a coat that will last you years, its spending 60 euro on a top thats so stand-out-ish that you'll only wear to one club.
    And the shoppers in Topshop always usually have their noses high in the air. Can't stand the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

wouldnt be a huge Topshop fan but love the shoes!:D
    like other people were sayin it has a lot of over the top weird faddy things..
    a friend of mine got leggings out of there a while ago with huge holes ripped in them,for that "homeless" look:pac:
    and last time i was in there i seen parachute pants,yes mc hammer,metallic PARACHUTE PANTS:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'd usually avoid the on-trend stuff at all costs- but I have to admit I'm a big fan of their jeans. I'm shaped fairly curvy and their straight-leg jeans are the only ones I've found that fit me everywhere without giving me a muffin top/being too baggy at the stomach. I also really like the Chupi dresses even though they're not strictly TopShop.

Their tops can be a bit hit or miss- some fit me fine but others are clearly not intended for women with larger boobs.

I'll admit I usually end up trying stuff on in-store and then buying online... the difference between the euro and sterling prices are pretty sickening sometimes.

But yeah- I have exactly one pair of jeans that fit me perfectly at the moment, and they're Top Shop, so I can't knock them really!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I like Topshop, but it's so ridiculously overpriced I find myself rarely shopping there.

Also the sizes are teeny imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

phasers wrote: »

For reals? I've found the sizing seems noticably bigger in there recently. I'm usually a 6 on top and an 8 on the bottom in there but was surprised to find the 8's much too big, especially when all my other clothes seem fine.

I heart Topshop though and a huge portion of my wardrobe is from there. I love their huge range of quirky designs. I especially love that the clothes seem quite minimalist or even understated in comparison with the tackfest in River Island. My one gripe though is the high pricing for average quality clothes and of course the Sterling/Euro exchange rate comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I like Topshop but rarely buy anything there. Its way overpriced and the quality isn't even that great for the most part. Its also a bit, I don't know, faddy or try hard for my liking. I'd rather save up my money and spend it in Desigual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

phasers wrote: »
    I like Topshop, but it's so ridiculously overpriced I find myself rarely shopping there.

Really?! I think their sizing is normal. I've never thought anything was too big/small in there in clothing. Shoes however..i think a lot of them fit really small so I usually size up. There sizes are definitely a lot better than H&M anyways, I think their sizes are the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Really?! I think their sizing is normal. I've never thought anything was too big/small in there in clothing. Shoes however..i think a lot of them fit really small so I usually size up. There sizes are definitely a lot better than H&M anyways, I think their sizes are the worst!

H&M sizing is waaaaay off. I think Topshop is ok size wise though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Really not a fan of it at all. There's very little that they do that's really wearable (for me anyway), and their Paddy Tax is ridiculous. I actually prefer River Island and Next, but haven't really been hugely impressed by anywhere this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Depends what mood I'm in. Never go for the ridiculously faddy stuff, but they do do nice classics as well that will last an age, like cardigans and some skirts, without being boring.

I remember reading an article on La Roux in the Sunday Times style section, and the writer described her as looking like "another indie kid who looks like Topshop vomited all over her." Think that sums up their pretentious/try-too-hard vibe, as well as the too-cool-for-school music no one's ever heard of that plays in the shops.

Their jewellery in particular is ridiculously overpriced, especially when you take the exchange rate into account, but I still think Topshop's always worth a look at least ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yep, I find their sizes quite small! especially t shirts (Although I suppose they could be meant to be that fitted :()

Although maybe it's changed recently as I haven't bought anything in there in AGES cos I'm so broke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vinylqueen

i'm pretty tall - 5'11 - so i've always appreciated the beanstalk section of topshop because getting jeans that fit my leg length can be a nightmare however i've been really disappointed by the quality of stuff in recent years. i spent 120 euro on a military coat winter before last and within a week every single button had fallen off. buttons are often only half stitched on new coats at the best of times so i sewed them back on, double button stitching it to be sure. they all fell off again. it wasn't the buttons, it was the spacing and hole sizing that was the problem. in the end i only got about 3 weeks out of it and because the button size was unusual, it's been really difficult to track down replacement buttons so the coat's been hanging on my door ever since. i've only ever gotten one or max two wears out of any jumpers that i've bought there before they've shrunk to belly tops and bobbled badly despite careful handwashing/drying flat according to label. i'd stayed away for ages, frustrated by my last few experiences with the clothes until i bought a necklace there about two months ago but first time i wore it to work, it snapped too! despite the fact that i probably sound like a total clothes apocalypse i'm pretty careful and i've had a couple of good, long-lasting buys - usually from the young designer sections - but in general for my trend fix it works out cheaper and more resilient to pick up something from penneys or river island where expectations are lower. it's a shame!

Advertisement