Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIV - Beta Test

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

How does one ensure these ports are open?

(I'm using Vista service pack 2, 32 bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Read the details on the Beta Testing forums, it has a step by step guide for doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

just a quick FYI to all lucky beta testers, the beta downloader is basically a really shoi torrent program, nobody will be able to download from it without it using bandwidth really inefficiently, i have messed around with ports/firewalls before and know that that is just a placebo - A simple fix (that Square-enix keep hiding) is if you go to my documents/my games/final fantasy IV beta\ you can pull the torrent files down and use a proper bittorrent client to download the files

I got the big 3.5gb chunk down in a couple of hours at 300kb/sec steady using utorrent and the raw torrent files from the beta "downloads/patch" folder - also able to limit upload speed to avoid it clogging all the bandwidth. - I have all the files ready to go for the next test this wednesday!

Thats interesting, well theres a better option than opening the ports then.

Does anyone know other than copy and pasting files if id need to do anything if i wanted to move it from one pc to another.

i have it currently installed on my XP machine but id like to move it to a windows 7 machine without doing a new full download. Can i just copy / paste the files across or would any registery edits need to be done?

MarkJD wrote: »
    Read the details on the Beta Testing forums, it has a step by step guide for doing it

I've been told that but I cant find it.
    can you link me?

• Advertisement

Hercule wrote: »
    just a quick FYI to all lucky beta testers, the beta downloader is basically a really shoi torrent program, nobody will be able to download from it without it using bandwidth really inefficiently, i have messed around with ports/firewalls before and know that that is just a placebo - A simple fix (that Square-enix keep hiding) is if you go to my documents/my games/final fantasy IV beta\ you can pull the torrent files down and use a proper bittorrent client to download the files

I got the big 3.5gb chunk down in a couple of hours at 300kb/sec steady using utorrent and the raw torrent files from the beta "downloads/patch" folder - also able to limit upload speed to avoid it clogging all the bandwidth. - I have all the files ready to go for the next test this wednesday!

Check this method out it might be much faster for you. Ill look and get the link if you cant try the method above

I know beggars cant be choosers but I'd much rather not dabble in uTorrent or bittorrent or whatever else.

I get the feeling they'd really rather we didn't. and if opening ports reduces the download to say, 4 or 5 hours, then I'll be happy.

PM sent.

replied.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've seen the client on various sites that shall not be named here. I'm pretty sure you could get it from rapidshare if you have an account. Patching it is up to the auto-patcher though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

they do not want people to use other software such a utorrent or azureus to download the files as "it risks the files becoming (more) publicly accessible" - at the end of the day, my dl speed of 10kb with and upload of 40kb was unacceptable, no amount of dicking around with ports is going to help.

Using the ****ty downloader (which as i said is a poorly made torrent client) my download had run for almost 8 hours and gotten to a whopping 4%, at which point it froze and started from the beginning again. At least using utorrent i can pause/return to the download without it having a hissy fit.

Download with utorrent 2 and 1/2 hours - download with the tool ~30 hours, no real choice to be honest + if they patch the files again (as they have done 2/3 times in the past few days) you will have to get the 3.5gb chunk again and again.

what a horrible dilemma.

On one hand the download they're offering is saying 60 hours remaining.

on the other I could go against they're wishes and have it downloaded in 4 or 5 hours.

It's such a stupid state of affairs

Just download it via the torrent program and get it over and done with. They wont know thats how you downloaded it.

actually I may not need to.

I just checked there and the download is fluctuating between Ob/s to up as far as 150Kb/s

maybe they're trying to fix things?

the estimated time has rapidly fallen at any rate. it's going between 3 and 12 hours depending on when you look (which is a massive improvement from 60+)

secondly: testers; what are we doing? :rolleyes:

find me on the beta site (same name: "Aurongroove", I;m sure there's some sort of search function)

I just realize I was logging in here as well as the beta site forum every time I wanted to see if there was any craic; it;s a bit like holding an Igloo conference in Egypt, when we could have used the cabins in the Arctic provided for us.

Im hoping to do Botanist and some crafting first, get to grips with that so i can earn some €€..

When i played FFXI i was always too lazy to learn a craft and make gil so if im playing this time around i want to be able to make money. In the Alpha it was easy to make money from guildleves / farming so could buy the latest armor etc.

In the Beta they have made it much harder so.. Just have to wait and see.

I leveled Archer / Marauder / Lancer to lvl 10 which was quite easy in Alpha. I hear they have made it harder in the Beta.

Granted the ATI card problems are fixed for tomorrow ill be playing. Can hit you up on msn or something and see if we get the same worlds

I hear the system is still a little un balanced with regards mages; that they have no MP regen, and the spells are kinda weak.

all the same I plan on maybe choosing one of those little dudes, and becoming like a white mage or something, but one who can kick ass with a Bo staff maybe.

I'm not sure how welcoming the game might be to mages with physical attacks, but I reckon it;d be neat to have a player with an unexpected stats, even if it takes a little extra work to get them strong.

right servers start again at the mad time of 2am tonight until 12 Sunday

I'm gonna wait up: I've been up this long whats another hour or six?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Right just back from vacation. Not had a chance to try it yet. Can't see an announcement on the beta site but its saying the auth server is down for maintenance when I try to get in at the moment :/

[edit]Ignore me. Had my proxy in IE turned on. Fail![/edit]

I've been playing for a fortnight or so, and it;s looking good.

If I were you, I'd wait for phase 3 to begin, our Phase 2 characters are being erased along with the entire phase 2 world. so there's no point beginning a game just to have a day or so's delevopment.

• Advertisement

Phase 3 is up; Hurray, you can be a cook!

Could a moderator get rid of this thread?

FFXIV clearly belongs in Massive multi player online section, and rightly enough there is a thread already there rendering this one both incorrectly placed and redundant. :)

One may think it's no harm to leave it, especially since Final Fantasies generally fall under Japanese RPG, but two threads are confusing and cumbersome to check both and if you were to pick one, the one in MMO is definatly "more right" to survive.

on a side note: and I'll be posting this in the other thread too

Open beta testing from 1st of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so anyone playing this atm ?

what is it like

Advertisement